Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-25-2002, 08:46 PM   #241
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Hey Guys!

I'm not sure if this article from TORN will be ok to post but it's quite interesting. It's a post TTT interview with the film makers and they TRY to answer why they did the changes. Have fun.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 10:17 PM   #242
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

The more these writers speak, the more they betray their true feelings for this piece of literature.

"I think Tolkien went off on a bit of a tangent with the Two Towers"

Philippa Boyens.

If only you could "tangent" half as well dear.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 12-25-2002 at 10:19 PM.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:39 PM   #243
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Agreed. It was the book publishers who first decided where to cut the volumes as the whole 3-volumes were intended to be one book.

The film-makers would, of course, want to make money. That's the main reason people embark on multi-million projects; at least in the entertainment industry. I just didn't expect to be entertained this much. Good for them that many other people were entertained as much or even more to hand them over their leisure money.

I just hope that these movies net at least a few uninitiated people that they actually read the books and even appreciate them.

I'll take the films as a marketing vehicle for the books.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 12-25-2002, 11:59 PM   #244
TinuvielChild
Padawan

You know, the "Merry and Pippin Show" part of that link was absolutely hilarious. Gotta love Dom and Billy....*shakes head at their antics*

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 12:50 AM   #245
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Agreed on the Dom and Billy part. Heh. They're reeeeally funny. And I don't mind most of the changes they made, really. It makes the movie good. I have to agree with Arathorn. . .It's a good marketing vehicle, neh? Gets better with each viewing, methinks. 'Cept why do the orcs have crossbows? yeesh.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 01:27 AM   #246
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I guess, after reading that, I can finally understand why they did the whole SeducedbythepoweroftheRing!Faramir thing....eh, well. Book-Faramir was better.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 02:17 AM   #247
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I saw it! I saw it! I just got back from seeing it, and I must say that I love it. Perhaps not as much as the FOTR, but it is still an excellent movie.

What I disliked:

*Arwen. I sighed when she first appeared. Was it just my imagination, or did she have a nearly see through dress on? It amused me that Elrond found her having dreams of Aragorn in her bed.

*Dodgy CGI: Merry and Pippin on Treebeard looked completely fake.

Aragorn's 'death'. I don't understand how Arwen came to save him. He 'died' just to see the army of Urak-hai? Pretty silly to me.
And I don't understand how Arwen came to save him in his dreams.

*Frodo trying to save Gollum. Huh? Isn't carrying the ring to Orodruin enough?

What I liked:

*Gollum. Excellent CGI.

*Helm's Deep. Awesome.

*Every single line from the book that was in the movie.

*Aragorn: I bow to Peter Jackson for making Aragorn look the way I like him to: hot and sweaty.

Most of the changes from the book did not really bother me. Theodens exorcism and Faramir worked for me, for the most part. Faramir's change of mind about the ring was a bit quick as was Treebeard's decision to ruin Isengard. Gimli was funny, but I think he was funny a bit too much. Sure, give him a couple of lines for comic relief, but not nearly every scene. The funniest Gimli part was when he was at the wall at Helm's deep and you could only see his helmet. All in all, I really enjoyed it, well worth a years wait. I must see it again.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:15 AM   #248
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia

*Frodo trying to save Gollum. Huh? Isn't carrying the ring to Orodruin enough?
Um, I think that one was in the book; at least the part where he saves Gollum from the archers while in the forbidden pool.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 12-26-2002, 03:36 AM   #249
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
Um, I think that one was in the book; at least the part where he saves Gollum from the archers while in the forbidden pool.
I should of explained myself: I meant saving his character, helping him become Smeagol again. Not physically saving him at Henneth Annun (see I've read the books).

Last edited by cassiopeia : 12-26-2002 at 03:45 AM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:25 AM   #250
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
I should of explained myself: I meant saving his character, helping him become Smeagol again. Not physically saving him at Henneth Annun (see I've read the books).
oops.

Anyway, I liked that part just the same. It raised the warm-fuzzy-feeling level in me, I think.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 12-26-2002, 06:21 AM   #251
PO-TA-TO!
Sapling

Hi guys,

New here.

I like the movie Smeagol better than book Smeagol. I felt more pity for him than when I read the book. You can already imagine people bring out their hankies when Smeagol eventually does his 'thing ' in ROTK. How can anyone go through that scene unscathed?

In that sense, how can ROTK fail?

cheers.
PO-TA-TO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 07:31 AM   #252
Kallasilya
Hobbit

WOW muchly

I think the bad stuff's mainly been said, so I'll just go on to rave about my favourite parts, shall I?
In no particular order:
1) The excitement level in the Helm's Deep scenes was extremely high. One of the parts in the book that always got my blood pumping was the last charge, and by the time Theoden led out his men I was just about ready to jump up onto my seat in the middle of the theatre and scream out "FORTH EORLINGAS!!!!!!!!" at the top of my voice . I've always LOVED that line...
2) Frodo's moment at with the ringwraith at the top of Osgiliath!!! WOW!!! Well, I can understand that it's kind of illogical... but it's such a MOMENT! You could feel everything in the cinema go silent and you could almost hear the hearts beating... my breath really got caught in my throat . To me that image symbolises pretty much the whole tale of LotR. I do so love symbolic imagery And that scene would make an EXCELLENT poster
3) The storming of Isengard!!!! The scene of the water roaring past the ents and just the huge power of the flood really showed the destruction that the Ents were capable of.
4) Sam's big speech at the end - it got me all teary *sniff*
5) The mention of stories being told - The tale of the Ring and all that jazz. I just can't wait to see the end of RotK where the minstrel comes out to sing the Tale of Frodo of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Power! I can just see myself bursting into an absolute flood of tears at that point!
Old 12-26-2002, 08:20 AM   #253
Kallasilya
Hobbit

Ooooh!! I just remembered another thing... the elves' reaction to death! It seems kind of a funny thing to point out... but if you think about it, since the elves are immortal, they cannot really grasp the meaning of death. They just can't understand it, and their grief flows from this innocence. This is especially noticeable when Haldir dies (completely unecessary but nicely done anyway), and when Legolas thinks that Aragorn has died. All of his friends and companions seem to have left him one by one, and only Gimli is left. For an elf, this might be quite a shock to the system.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:27 AM   #254
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by PO-TA-TO!
Hi guys,

New here.

I like the movie Smeagol better than book Smeagol. I felt more pity for him than when I read the book. You can already imagine people bring out their hankies when Smeagol eventually does his 'thing ' in ROTK. How can anyone go through that scene unscathed?

In that sense, how can ROTK fail?

cheers.
HI!!

Have you been to the Newbies thread?

I love the new Sméagol!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 08:41 AM   #255
diannah
Hobbit

The first time I saw it I thought it was great. Gollum was just how I pictured him. For some reason I associated him with a strung-out cocaineadict, but that's just me. Shadowfax is a beatiful horse, but the slow-motion thing was just funny. Brego's better. Eowyn was actually a likeable character, I didn't think of her as such at first. The only things that disapointed me was Faramir. I always thought of him as more sensitive and understanding than he was in the movie. Other than that, the only thing I can complain about is Aragorn and Arwen's playing up relationship. It was a bit cheesy for my tastes. I was thrilled with the battle at Helm's Deep, thought Pip and Merry were inspired and moved beyond words by Frodo and Sam. I'm going to see it again today. Yay!
diannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 09:10 AM   #256
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I thought Gollum would look a bit more amphibiany but I guess he was a Hobbit once and had to look a bit similar too him.

I've seen it 4 times now!!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 01:49 AM   #257
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I've just seen it for the third time and it gets better every time I see it. I didn't really even mind Frodo and the Nazgûl at Osgiliath this time. I got another good chuckle out of Mr. Torch-bearing Orc. And I didn't see Gandalf in his sneakers. I watched, but they didn't look like sneakers to me. I dragged my mother in to see it this time and she didn't care for the movie all that much. She didn't care for the first one either, but anyway... Maybe I'll get around to seeing it a 4th time.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:40 AM   #258
TinuvielChild
Padawan

3rd time tomorrow! I'm waaay behind....

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 12-27-2002, 03:12 AM   #259
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by TinuvielChild
3rd time tomorrow! I'm waaay behind....
I've only seen it once. I'll have to wait for january 11th for the regular screening. Stupid local film fest. Grrr...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 12-27-2002, 04:53 AM   #260
arrowgirl
Sapling

Strider

I thought TTT was excellent
I thought that Gollum was great also that the battle of Helm's Deep was great and I laughted at the fact that they were true to the book in that Legolas and Gimli were counting there kills
I also thought that Faramir was good and he was simlar to Boromir which made you believe they were brothers even more
arrowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote