Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #241
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Roya? I think, given the chance, I could agree with you there.
*is very glad SHE is no where near landmines

Stay safe chica.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #242
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
Now, to be on subject; I have an outstanding fear of landmines.
Is it the left-overs from the war between Iraq and Iran in the 1980s that caused that fear?
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:19 AM   #243
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Why, however did you guess?

Nearly planted my foot on one yesterday, I was officially just a little jittery after that, and to think, I was walking along what was supposed to have once been a playground.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:33 PM   #244
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Jeesh.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #245
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

I think that would be enough to give you a phobia.

Landmines are a curse on humanity.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:51 AM   #246
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

What's really weird is that sometimes I'm afraid of the dark, but sometimes not. Like you know when you're sleeping over at a friends house and you wake up at night, and there's no lights on, then you start hearing like little creaking noises or whatever that just turn out to be the house creaking or something along those lines, but you bulk it up to someone in the house and then you freak out. Yeah, but other than that, sometimes I just freak out a little bit when I'm going to bed at night and there's not lights at all and it's just really weird because lots of other times I'm perfectly fine.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:36 AM   #247
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm not really dark-phobic either, Sane, but I always leave a small light on, like in my closet or in the bathroom down the hall from my room. Or even the little entrance light downstairs. Just enough that I can barely make things out.

I'm perfectly fine sleeping in a pitch black room, but if I have a really bad nightmare or if I can't sleep, I just prefer to be able to see . Not a requirement... just a quirk. You might consider a nightlight, as silly as it might sound. I personally have no qualms about indulging my little whim in this particular .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #248
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
I'm not really dark-phobic either, Sane, but I always leave a small light on, like in my closet or in the bathroom down the hall from my room. Or even the little entrance light downstairs. Just enough that I can barely make things out.
Interesting. When I walk around after dark, I sometimes feel a bit less comfortable when there's a little light on than I do when there's no light on. So long as I don't trip . I think it's because that way I can't see all of the potential hiding places for some lurking marauder.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #249
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It's not the dark that is scary for me, but what might be in it. At this point my prolific imagination usually -and unfortunately- runs away with me.

I remember this one time I had to walk through a nice, pretty much remote tree-bordered lane to a gateway (think 200 meters) to pick up an abandoned bike. In the rain. After dark. With only lights at the house and at the far-away gate. (It wasn't even my bike. I volunteered to it, how stupid was I?)

I will not tell you how much I cursed myself for ever seeing and remembering (at the worst moment possible) some X-files episode with a werewolf. You know it will never happen, but at the same time I could literally envision something coming from behind the trees and attack me. Vivid imagination is one thing you do not welcome at those times. The more I started to near the house the faster I started to move. Had to force myself not to run 'cos, you know, a flight triggers a chase response. When you know perfectly nothing is going to happen. I swear, if anyone had gotten it into their head to go out and help me with the bike, I'd have died on the spot.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #250
BeardofPants
the Shrike

See, werewolves would have been the least of my worries - I would have been gearing up for the regular rape&pillage scenario. x_x
Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #251
Nautipus
Kraken King

I had a dream one time that my friend was a werewolf. But he was still cool.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:27 AM   #252
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
See, werewolves would have been the least of my worries - I would have been gearing up for the regular rape&pillage scenario. x_x
We-ell, in a nice cottage on a fenced old abbey domain, in a nice rural community, but with several minutes biking distance to the nearest houses, you don't really come across many rapists and pillagers onless they're into trees....

You don't necessarily come across werewolves either, but then that's part of the irrational things.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #253
Midge
Faithful Gardener

*Reviving old thread time!*

I have emetophobia. It's not as bad now as it used to be. I would bawl and run from the room if I even saw a sign of gagging, let alone vomiting. I couldn't stand to hear it. I remember being at preschool and seeing a classmate throw up from at least 30 yards away. I was incapacitated for the rest of the day. Once my brother was ill and I spent an entire evening holed up in the pantry with one small book and my fingers stuffed inside my ears.

I bring this up because my husband got sick last week. Though I freaked out a little bit, I was proud of myself for giving him a hug, bringing him a glass of water and cleaning up the bathroom after he felt better.

It's funny because some people get a nervous stomach for things like public speaking or doing something they've never done before. I get a nervous stomach when people around me are sick. Even thinking about it, I'm wishing I hadn't eaten so much for my lunch. Though I didn't get sick last week, I ate like I was for four days.

I don't know why I'm like this. I don't remember anything from when I was young. I can't remember a time when I wasn't emetophobic, though.

I do know it's improved though because I can now read stories when people get sick, or hear about them without worrying. I still can't watch them on TV or in real life, or hear the actual event, though.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Last edited by Midge : 01-24-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #254
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

It's not a phobia, but I have a very serious case of OCD. Every night I have to go through the house, straightening the rugs and chairs to line up exactly with the tile. Then I go and straighten all my books and computer, keyboard, and frames. It takes about 10 minutes, and if I try to go to bed without doing these things, I can't sleep because I feel like a horrible person for not doing them. The same thing happens when I'm out of town.

It sucks. Anyone else have this or am I completely crazy?
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #255
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I have it in a very minor way - there's just a few things that I feel I have to do. One of them is I have to put the tv volume on even numbers, except I can also have numbers ending in 5. Weird, innit?! There's a few other things, but I can't remember them now. It's not an every-night kind of thing, its just when certain things happen I have to do them a certain way, so I can't remember them right now.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #256
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Yes, I probably would do the TV volume thing too.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #257
katya
Elven Maiden

I used to do a lot of weird stuff like that too, but not to the point where it would interfere with my life or anything. I think I remember being very particular about TV volume. Now the thing I do the most is walking on floor tiles in patterns. But it's not like I have to or anything.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #258
Midge
Faithful Gardener

That's my favorite part of the definition of "phobia" or "disorder" - that it interferes with everyday life. It helps me know that my emetophobia isn't extreme. I've read stories of people with severe enough cases to nearly have agoraphobia because they didn't want to chance running into someone who was ill.

And I don't think you're weird for straightening things. If we didn't have order in our world, where on earth would we be. Rian, my brother does the same thing with the volume in his car. Basically his thing is that it can't be a prime number. It can be even or divisible by 5, and maybe 3 (I can't remember). But like, 17 or 19 or 23 are unacceptable.

I never step on cracks with tiled floors or sidewalks if I can help it. Who's with me here?
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #259
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
I never step on cracks with tiled floors or sidewalks if I can help it. Who's with me here?
I am, but I often forget all about it

It's good that your emetophobia isn't extreme enough to interfere daily.
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #260
katya
Elven Maiden

I either don't step on the cracks or I step on them in a certain pattern.