Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-30-2002, 07:36 AM   #241
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Sam you implied that religion was the birth of hospitals. NO ONE here said that religion had NOTHING to do with it. But that it was not the SOLE PRIMER MOVER Didn't you read elvellon wrote?:

Quote:
Well it is natural that less medically savvy cultures would turn to religion (or simply the supernatural) as part of the healing process. After all, it is in dire situations (like when you or a close relative of yours are in pain) that people feel greater need to spiritual comfort and hope. So that’s why the association between religion and medicine started.
so please don't try to straw man our statements

secondly you are all over the place with your arguments bringing in side stuff with nothing do with your goal. be succint and on target it makes your position far more clear.

like this

Quote:
Ok I want to ask you guys a question...where did the idea of No right No wrong come from? Back in the 50's and before there was no such thing. So if morals was made up by the society...then where did this idea come from? Do we sih to go back to Eden THAT bad and talk to God again FACE TO FACE? Sweet!! Or is it the other way around. Do we wish to deny there IS a God? Just an idea and please dont tar and feather me for it.
cut away the dross and get to the core

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 07-30-2002 at 07:45 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 08:55 AM   #242
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Anduril
Emplynx and Pascal, sitting in a tree.....
t-a-l-k-i-n-g
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:05 AM   #243
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Yeah, that's secret Christian code for :

xxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxx xx xxxxx xxxxx xxx

Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 10:42 AM   #244
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Jeez.

If you people had actually read the Gospel, you'd know that christians are relativists.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 01:52 PM   #245
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart

Jeez.

If you people had actually read the Gospel, you'd know that christians are relativists.
I have read the Bible and I don't know that. Explain please.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:40 PM   #246
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Primarily, Christians are concerned with Sin.

Not Evil. Not Good. Sin is apparantly defined as that which seperates someone from god.

Which is one of the reasons early christianity was concerned with things like "purity of heart". Actions were not at all what condemned a person, it was what was in their heart, their motive etc. One of the entire elements of the movement was that the law was dead, and thet the Old Testement was inapplicable. Particularly because it dealt with actions, like being circumcised, or sacrifices, or eating with a particular hand etc.

Well that's the crux of the matter right there. Suddenly actions are no longer absolute. They are relative to the intentions of the actor.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 07-30-2002, 03:44 PM   #247
emplynx

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
Primarily, Christians are concerned with Sin.

Not Evil. Not Good. Sin is apparantly defined as that which seperates someone from god.

Which is one of the reasons early christianity was concerned with things like "purity of heart". Actions were not at all what condemned a person, it was what was in their heart, their motive etc. One of the entire elements of the movement was that the law was dead, and thet the Old Testement was inapplicable. Particularly because it dealt with actions, like being circumcised, or sacrifices, or eating with a particular hand etc.

Well that's the crux of the matter right there. Suddenly actions are no longer absolute. They are relative to the intentions of the actor.
Interesting point, and I agree... to an extent. I agree that the purity of the heart is very important, but there is still an absolute law given through out the New Testement. I couldn't go a rape a girl and justify it by any "purity of the heart" excuse. So yes, the old testement law doesn't mean the same thing as it did before, but the law is still absolute.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:46 AM   #248
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by emplynx
Interesting point, and I agree... to an extent. I agree that the purity of the heart is very important, but there is still an absolute law given through out the New Testement. I couldn't go a rape a girl and justify it by any "purity of the heart" excuse. So yes, the old testement law doesn't mean the same thing as it did before, but the law is still absolute.
Unfortunately "the law" has no application anymore. It depends on the circumstance. The only "absolute law" given in the new testement is the one about love. I find it interesting that anyone could call a law based on an abstract principle "absolute".

Look at Percival, for example. He almost succumbed to the temptation of "raping" a woman to save her life, however it turned out she was a demoness, and therefore it was uneccesary, because she wasn't actually "alive".

So yes, even in that case, relative intent applies. I'll admit, it's awfully difficult to find a situation where you would have to rape a woman to save her life, but apparantly there is a loophole for just such an occasion.

Old 07-31-2002, 12:59 PM   #249
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Blackheart, you are correct, in a sense.

But christianity also maintains that God is the only good, and so good is that which seeks to serve him, and bad is what rebels against him.

Purity of heart... Actually, christians are concerned with repentance and salvation. That is, that someone has realized that they are a sinner (which, as Xandre pointed out, means seperation from god) and incapable fo improving themself, and asked god to save them.

As long as they are sincere, purity of heart has little to do with it. The person who repents ont hier deathbed because of an overwhelming fear of hell, the person who does so as a child because it pleases thier parents, the middle aged person who does so because life sucks, and the one who wishes to simply know his creator, are all equally saved.

yes... there's a catch. Since all are equally saved, they've all made themself open to god's changing them. As I said earlier, imperfect human goodness cannot bring you into the presense of god, but the presence of god works continually to perfect that goodness and weed out the badness. And so we expect (rightly) a positive shift in a christian's life, and are worried when there isn't.

Chirsianity is set apart from popular religion in that religion (even when claiming to be a variant of christianity) depends on merely human efforts, while christianity depends on god's work upon man.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:19 PM   #250
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Ok Afro I'll try and do that. But I could apply the same for you. Cut the dross and get to the core. Or in other words talk plainer. I dont understand what you meant by "Dont straw Man us" or whatever that was. I dont get stuff like that very easily. I have a very confusing mind and it is easily confused.
Dang it all I'm sounding like Dogberry from Much ado about nothing. You know what. I think I'm gonna quit this.
Been nice hobnobbing with you all,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:14 PM   #251
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Nothing is absolute. That is the only absolute.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:58 PM   #252
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Ok Afro I'll try and do that. But I could apply the same for you. Cut the dross and get to the core. Or in other words talk plainer. I dont understand what you meant by "Dont straw Man us" or whatever that was

There is a difference between extreanous and not sequitor things and not knowing jargon.

or to put it simply there is a difference between adding things to an argument that have nothing to do with your point and lacking certain vocabulary

Quote:
I have a very confusing mind and it is easily confused
ah.... no comment

sorry to see you leave

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 06:46 AM   #253
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Azalea:
I meant that the fact that humans don't eat their young is proof of the existence of God.
MMmmmmm.....mmmhehe.....mwaahahahah.
Quote:
Continues:
I am aware of my existence AND am able to understand what my existence means to others; therefore, God exists.
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha.

I don't think you understand how much I needed that.

Last edited by Andúril : 08-01-2002 at 06:49 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:23 PM   #254
azalea
Long lost mooter

Okay then, what's YOUR explanation -- not just invalidating my statement, but giving your explanation for higher thinking, etc., as I brought up in my post? (I'm not being argumentative, I really am interested to know what you think).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 06:18 PM   #255
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
I am aware of my existence AND am able to understand what my existence means to others; therefore, God exists.
I'm afraid I don't follow. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:18 PM   #256
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
I was always wondering why the human species has yet to develop their intelligence any further . . .

Quick question. What do the Christians think about this: http://godlessamericans.org
Old 08-01-2002, 11:18 PM   #257
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa

I was always wondering why the human species has yet to develop their intelligence any further . . .

That comment has probably been said before (millenia probably). But I'm not sure. But remember that, if we are to believe the theory of evolution, we've only been humans for a very short period compared to other species. Looks like most of the knowledge goes into paper, cdroms, hard disks, and other forms of archives. Oh no! What do you mean by intelligence? Collective? Individual?

Quote:
Quick question. What do the Christians think about this: http://godlessamericans.org
I'm catholic, as I've already posted ages ago but I'm no literalist when it comes to religious concepts and beliefs.

I think they should if they want to. I think your country allows for such freedoms. Hopefully, it'll be an eye-opener to both the non-theists and also to the theists.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 12:34 AM   #258
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

The only species that even thinks about death is humans - the only ones with the capacity to. And what do we do? Fear it. Don't tell me you don't. Everyone has some part of their being that fears it. Why? Because we don't know what happens after death - none of us has ever died and lived to tell about it. Will we be greeted with pearly gates? A fiery archway? Perhaps, blackness and nevermore? We can't prove anything - and so we fear it.

I, on the otherhand, don't fear what it is to come after death. I don't see why I should. Human beings are worse than the rest of the living species - the smarter in technology we get and the more God-like power that is put into our fingertips - the more violent we become. Why do you think we always perceive intelligent extraterrestrials as hostile? Because we see a reflection of ourselves (we are, after all, the only thing we know) and their advanced civilization, which occured from the abuse of intricate knowledge and power-hungry beings.

Speaking of god-like power: God's wrath in the Bible, anyone? I sure wouldn't want to be around that. The only reason he's so violent is because we crafted him out of our own image to begin with. Go figure.

So exactly how are we worthy of Pearly Gates and Paradise on the other side?

God gives weak people comfort. The idea that someone is always watching over them because they don't have the self-power to look after themselves. Because of our evil, we grab for something glittering thing and cling to it, hoping that it will fix everything wrong with the world - hence, we don't fix things ourself, and it all goes downhill.

I believe that there are other more individually intelligent beings out there somewhere, who live without laws, without hate, without love, in a community that realizes it's up to them to keep peace. Peace and perfection isn't pleasure and heaven - its devoid of all things and is flawless - seeing as how love is a flaw since it leads to hate (someone trying to steal your loved one would piss you off, eh?) then there would be no love. Tragic to you. Everlasting peace for them.

Everyone wants to go to Heaven, but no one wants to die. Can you honestly tell me you want to?

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 08-02-2002 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-02-2002, 12:39 AM   #259
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

How do you know humans are the only species that thinks about death? I can't believe that! I don't fear death cause I don't know what happens.....nothing happens, you're dead, gone, soon to be forgotton (three generations). I fear it cause I won't be here to do my work. Will someone else do the things I do to help others? God is just an explanation for things people don't understand, Life is rough, comfort is good!

Last edited by Lizra : 08-02-2002 at 12:44 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 12:45 AM   #260
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Humans are the only species on this planet that do. We're the only ones with the mental capacity for it, as I've mentioned earlier. Let's say a cat runs across a four-lane road with cars coming straight at him - sure, he's in fear - he doesn't know what the heck those things are speeding for him. But does he think, "Oh no, it might kill me!" No, he doesn't.

And I wasn't speaking of everyone everyone. It's in general terms. Most people do fear death.

I didn't say God's only purpose was giving weak people comfort; another one would be giving gullible people an explanation for everything they don't understand. One of the downsides for being as deep-thinking as we are.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 08-02-2002 at 12:51 AM.