Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #241
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

As the King entered Khamûl's gaze caught another person, two infact. One was the elf he had met helping the King near the edge of Tharbad. The other was his house maid, Rian. After what had happened with Penny, and the mind resistance offered by the elven Professer Khamûl wasn't in the best of moods, and it wasn't the best time for a servant to be seen by him at a dignitaries Reception.
Quickly standing up out of his seat he walked over to towards the two elves.
"Hello Miss Earniel. How nice it is to meet you again. I hear you are taking one of my classes," said Khamûl pleasently.
"Y.." started Earniel but was soon interrupted by Khamûl, who was now turned towards Rian.
"And what do you think you are doing here. This is a Reception for dignitaries, people of importance, not house maids, wether or not they are of elven lineage."
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-11-2005, 12:36 PM   #242
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

RÃ*an felt the hot, angry blood rising into her cheeks as she answered icily, "Perhaps you're not familiar with how these types of receptions work? Typically, the people attending are invited, as I have been."

Arching an eyebrow and turning her face slightly away to show her disdain, she added half to Eärniel, half to the world at large, "Humans have such odd ideas of 'importance' ... "

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-11-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:41 PM   #243
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

"My lord professor," Eärniel said friendly but her tone carried a slight warning edge, only audible by those who know how to really listen as she was sure professor Galadannûn could, "I fear you are mistaken, do allow me to amend the situation before it would get you - the Valar prevent! - in an awkward position."

"Let me introduce you to my dear friend, Lady RÃ*an of Gondolin." Eärniel went on, "She is well respected among the Eldar and welcomed with open arms in each of the Elven realms. Not only has she saved my life when I was young and she has since then also graced me with her invaluable friendship. She now has done me the honour to accompany me on this event. Surely you cannot object to that."

Before Galaddannûn could interrupt, Eärniel went on smoothly. "But my dear lord, you must forgive my friend for not flaunting her identity. You know we Elves are not unfond of a joke once in a while. And I fear she has tricked you well indeed. And now, if you will excuse us, let us hush. It would be unfit for us guests, or professors like yourself, to disturb the entrance of the High King!"

Eärniel curtisies politely and linking her arm through RÃ*an's she guided her friend a little further off, away from the professor.

"I am truly sorry, RÃ*an," Eärniel whispered to RÃ*an. "I fear I have costed you your job after all."

Last edited by Earniel : 10-14-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:14 PM   #244
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

RÃ*an whispered quickly back, "No, Eärniel, you didn't cost me anything - you saved me from having to find a plausible reason for quitting! Let him fire me - or if he doesn't, I'll tie up loose ends there and then quit - I've about had my fill of my latest "want-to-be-around-humans" fit. Thank the Valar that all humans aren't like the ones that live in that house! Yet ... I don't know, somehow I don't like having him for an enemy."

They both turned back towards the door to await the King's entrance.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 10-11-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:24 AM   #245
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Valandil held his head high and walked slowly, regally - as he had long been trained - down the long aisle of the Entrance Hall. The guests had arrayed themselves in lines on each side and they bowed in turn at his passing. He slowly turned his head from side to side, nodding at this one or that one as they looked up and met his eyes.

Occasions like this had been a rarity of late, but Valandil began to feel that he looked the part of a High King this night. His outfit had been completed by the strapping on of his sword. Although this was only symbolic, and of course no combat was expected tonight, this sword was no mere decoration. It was in fact, the very sword of Isildur, recovered from where he had apparently left it on the east side of the Anduin.

As he walked, he slowed further, and turned less from side-to-side, because walking itself became an effort. He began to feel probed, on all sides and by multiple minds. He wished that he could sit, due to the effort of keeping up his defenses. Who here could probe his mind like this? How MANY here could do this? he wondered.

And then suddenly, there came a shout in his mind of "SILENCE! He reads..." and all was silent in his mind, except for his own thoughts, and he heard again more clearly the voices of those around him. And he was then able to return more of his focus to his walk down the outer hall.

The doors at the end now opened before him. There stood two tall figures - this must be the Lord Ilmenzor and his daughter Aiwendis, he all in black, she all in white. They looked noble enough, and he thought surely indeed that they looked to be of full Numenorean heritage. He thought though, that Ilmenzor resembled a bit more the images of Numenor's line of Kings, than those of the House of Andunie, from where they shared common descent - but he was only a third cousin. His face was noble, strong, unflinching... he must have come far from the wreck of a man Estelmo had described last seeing in Osgiliath almost 50 years ago.

Aiwendis was as lovely as tales had told. By the look of her, her mother must have been Numenorean as well. She was said to be from the south and east, so Valandil wondered if her mother had been of the Faithful... or if Ilmenzor had strayed as had so many of their people. Did Aiwendis live as one of the Faithful? Valandil found that he hoped so. Still... she appeared to be sad. Why was this? He would try to discover it soon, but perhaps it was that she loved another, and her father urged her to set him aside and seek after the favor of the High King. She would not have been the first to be in that position.

Valandil turned his eyes back to Aiwendis' father as he drew before them and stopped.

"Greetings, oh High King of the Dunedain, and welcome to this place. It is with great honor that I once more offer my service to thy house. It is my great hope that all will be to your liking. It is with great joy that I finally set my eyes upon another son of Isildur." said Ilmenzor.

Fair words indeed, and on speaking them, Ilmenzor bowed slightly, and Aiwendis made a light curtsey.

Valandil replied, "It is with great pleasure of my own that I at last greet you my cousin. I owe you much for the great service you have already rendered unto my family, in defense of our own. It was with joy that I received the news of your desire to come to this place, and with greater joy that I granted that desire. Long has duty kept me from this moment of meeting, and ever has my heart longed for it. As you welcome me to thy home, I welcome thee to my kingdom, oh son of Andunie."

At that, Valandil introduced Oreturion and Marthalion to the Chancellor - and last of all Estelmo, who stood facing him with a smile of wonder.

'Now...' thought Valandil to himself, 'let's see what kind of a man you are...'

But Ilmenzor's mind was a wall of stone, and his smile grew slightly wider.

"Come," he said. "Let all the guests come into the Great Hall. Let the Grand Reception begin, as we welcome our Great High King into our humble home."

And Ilmenzor led Valandil on into the room, with all the guests following behind.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 10-17-2005 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #246
Valandil

Oreturion wondered what was going on. Which of these guests had so much power of mind?

There were four main parts to the mind discipline, and Valandil had now gone from mastering the first; hearing and speaking - to mastering the second; shielding. Valandil was able to do some of the third; probing for deeper thoughts, but only to great effect against an untrained mind. The fourth; effectively making suggestions, was a greater discipline still.

Oreturion sensed powerful minds here, and they would have to be careful.

Hmmm... many more Easterners were now on the faculty of the University here, as had been reported. Ilmenzor apparently kept replacing departing staff with acquaintances from his travels to remote and exotic places. This could be good for the learning environment, but still...

Oh - Estelmo had a crowd about him already, speaking animatedly with a drink in one hand and his cane in the other. What was he doing? Recounting that story of the Gladden? Many of the Easterners were gathering to hear it. That was reasonable enough, as the story probably was not widely known outside Arnor or the vales of Anduin. Even here in Arnor many had puzzled at the last words exchanged between Isildur and his eldest son Elendur.

' "...Go!" he said, "Take your burden, and at all costs bring it to the Keepers; even at the cost of abandoning your men and me!" now what kind of burden do you think that could have been? And who are the 'Keepers'?'

'And then Isildur said, "King's son..." ' Estelmo went on. Oreturion noticed that there was a growing hub-bub in thought-speech about the room - growing further as Estelmo's story progressed. Perhaps a distraction was needed, he thought.

"And then... all at once he just disappeared, and cried out in pain! Darndest thing! What was so odd too was that his crown, the Elendilmir he wore - not the one King Valandil now wears but another like it - we could still see it at first, though I was distracted with my fighting of course. But suddenly that disappeared too!"

That traffic was getting louder and seemed very expectant and anxious.

There... nearby stood King Valandil, with Marthalion, Ilmenzor and Aiwendis. Here, following Marthalion's inclinations... yes, done!

Marty turned to Aiwendis and taking her hand, said to her, "You look so down-hearted for one so lovely, oh lady of Numenor. Can not your heart and spirit be lifted by this company?" and Marty raised her hand, dipping his face to lightly kiss it.

"My - that is such a lovely, exquisite ring." continued Marty. "So intricately woven... and such a lovely stone, what is it? Is the ring of Elven make?"

Marty seemed un-naturally interested in this particular ring - and all at once the mental chatter in the room seemed to go quiet. Oreturion wondered if his 'distraction' had been such a wise thing, but he couldn't quite tell why he felt badly about it.

"Now... his is plainer, and has no great stone like yours," continued Marty. "But Valandil has an Elven ring too! Hey Valandil, can you show her your ring?"

At the mention of Valandil having an Elven ring, there was a collective mental gasp in the room. Aiwendis' face had gone from sad, to a bit surprised, to a calm smile. Now there was mental chatter all around. Valandil was saying that he did not have his ring with him. Now Valandil was gently trying to probe Aiwendis' mind, but Oreturion expected he was only finding the same thing that Oreturion had already discovered... that she was a wall of ice.

Estelmo seemed downcast, for his listeners had left him just as he was getting to the good part - about how he had fought to the last defending his master, even after an Orc had broken his leg.

And the Chancellor stood by, looking on with a grim smile.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Last edited by Valandil : 10-15-2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:39 AM   #247
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Mahtaliel drifted near the King and his companions, unnoticed for now. This reception was turning out to be more of a strain than usual. The same mental chatter that was occupying Oreturion's attention was beginning to give her a headache.
Who would've thought that so many people with such mental strength would be gathered in one room!
Even through her shields the buzz was deafening.

"My - that is such a lovely, exquisite ring." continued Marty. "So intricately woven... and such a lovely stone, what is it? Is the ring of Elven make?"

The overheard conversation caused Mahtaliel to freeze, her previous thoughts stopped in their tracks, along with the thoughts of numerous others in the room, she couldn't help noticing. Hardly daring to look she forced herself to glance, almost imperceptibly, at the ring the man had just complimented.

"Now... his is plainer, and has no stone," continued Marty. "But Valandil has an Elven ring too! Hey Valandil, can you show her your ring?"

Mahtaliel stopped listening, focusing all her concentration on gaging other people's reactions and on tightening her own shields even more. What she saw and what she had just glimpsed was most disturbing.

This year was promising to be unpleasantly interesting.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-12-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #248
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

In dead silence Aiwendis turned her eyes to Marty and said levelly,

"It is an Elven Ring, indeed, and a very ancient one, a heirloom of our house. I also have matching earrings. My ancestor, Lord Numendil, got these jewels as a present from King Gil-Galad, when he visited his realm so many years ago. I know not where they were made, perhaps even in the fabled Gondolin, or Eregion. I see you are expert in jewellery, Lord Marthalion, as well as Lady Mahtaliel here. Please, have a better look."

With that she slipped the diamond ring from her finger and held it out to Marty and Mahtaliel.

Seeng Marty’s hesitation, Mahtaliel took the Ring in her shaking hand. The Ring was of Elven craftsmanship, a work of Noldor. But her worst fears were not confirmed. It was not one of THOSE rings. There was no power in it, none that she could detect.

"It must be the work of Gondolin" she said at last, returning the Ring to Aiwendis. "It is distinguishable by its design of four-petal flowers. It was many years since I have seen such a ring. They are so rare now.".

Aiwendis gave her another of her wintry smiles and turned to the King. Her candid grey eyes searched his face.
"I am very fond of jewellery, My Lord King. May I have a look at your Ring?"

Last edited by Gordis : 10-12-2005 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #249
Rían

RÃ*an and Eärniel walked over to an ornate table against the wall with some dainty fruits arranged in a decorative manner.

"Did you hear all that?" RÃ*an whispered to Eärniel as she picked up a small plate.

Last edited by Rían : 10-12-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #250
Earniel

"I try not to," Eärniel murmured.

The reception was starting to become somewhat bothersome. Eärniel had been a little unprepared for what effect the entrance of the High King had had on the majority of young women in the hall. It had seemed the very air crackled with intent and inaudible, gushing chatter. It was also with some irony Eärniel observed that the same girls that had likened all Elven maidens to vultures, looked at the Valandil with the same interest a bird of prey would show in its prey. She nearly pitied the young king.

It had taken Eärniel effort to block the noice somewhat out, she hadn't had to do that in a very long time. She certainly was out of practice. She could still hear some of chattering but it sounded distant and a little distorted, as if she heard it under water. It definitely was more preferable this way.

But before she had shut the voices out she thought she had preceived some extraordinary strong minds. It surprised her that there would still be decendants of Elros with such strong gifts aside from the royal line, but she did not feel like it to drop her mental barriers to search them out.

"Now RÃ*an," she said in effort to forget about all the noice, "Why don't you tell me how the Rochdol game went today? I fear I missed quite some excitement. And feel free to describe some of the players in detail." She added with a small misschievious smile.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #251
Rían

RÃ*an grinned back, remembering how Eärniel had introduced her to the men's water polo games at the Havens.

"Well, I don't recall the score," she said with a wink, "but I would say both teams definitely had some ... assets," and leaned in closer to provide more details.

A deep masculine voice interrupted their interesting conversation. "And what are you two ladies finding so interesting to talk about, if I may be so inquisitive? I sure hope it's today's game!"

RÃ*an and Eärniel looked up to see five or six of the top Rochdol players (who also happened to belong to some of the top families in Tharbad) smiling appreciatively at them.

"Why, how did you know? That's exactly what we were talking about!" they replied, with sparkling eyes.

Last edited by Rían : 10-12-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:41 PM   #252
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Udu was pleased that no one had taken any particular notice of him during the grand arrival of King Valandil. He had carefully guarded all of his thoughts during the whole spectacle and had been mildly entertained at all the pomp and ceremony. He stayed mostly to the back of the throng as he strolled after the King and his dignitaries into the Great Hall for the Grand Reception.

He chuckled to himself as he thought of all the fortune-hunting females who would, no doubt, be clustering around the king. "So much the better," he thought, "all attention will be upon him and no one will take heed of the new professor of siege tactics." He did not even bother to look at the remote Professor Mahtaliel, but his eyes glinted a little warning when he saw Khamûl.

"Khamûl always liked his mind games," he thought in the back orders of his mind where no one except the strongest could ever venture. He wondered idly whether Khamûl might try to probe his thoughts again. "No," he thought, "Khamûl will probably be too occupied trying to probe the minds of others." He would never let him know that he was thinking that, and simply studied him quietly from a distance. His eyes softened when he saw Aiwendis, but he looked quickly away when he thought he saw the Chancellor's gaze fall on him.

He thought how glad he would be when the reception would draw to an end. Aiwendis had given him the pick of the University wine cellar and he planned after the festivities were over to find a few bottles to his liking and take them back to his room in the University. "Of course," he thought, "perhaps I will save them for later. I know little of this city and perhaps I will do some nocturnal exploring."

He thought of going to the livery stable and fetching his horse Minei, but no, he thought, such venturings are best done on foot. He smiled lightly and looked forward to the night after the grand occasion was over.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:57 PM   #253
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Mahtaliel returned the thankfully innocuous ring to Aiwendis and stepped away from the group.
'Deep breath, Mahtaliel,' she told herself, 'Calm down.'

Slowly her nerves began to settle. She should have expected there to be numerous pieces of jewelry with accompanying exchanges of compliments and curious comments.
It was nothing to be alarmed about, really, so why was she still on edge?
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #254
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

The Chancellor stood at the door of the Reception Hall, Aiwendis on his left, looking at the slowly approaching King and his entourage.

Valandil was a tall young man, with long dark hair and grey eyes, and a stubborn jaw of the Lords of Andunie. He looked a lot like his father, Isildur, so memorable from the store of memories of that poor wretch Ilmenzor. The young esquire was most loyal to his King and nearly worshipped him, it seemed. He had been a tough adversary, Ilmenzor, before months of starvation, mental torture and horrible dreams broke through his defences at last. The Morgul Lord read all of his mind and stored it for the future. Now this store came handy.

Following the King, came the young Marthalion, the Chancellor’s future student, and two men that the Chancellor couldn’t quite place. The taller, lame one certainly looked at him with wonder and recognition. Estelmo…, Elendur’s esquire. Now old, lame and bearded. The Chancellor smiled at him and turned his attention to the last man.

This one was shorter, but clearly of pure Numenorean blood. His look was devoid of any emotion, yet the Morgul Lord had a feeling that Ilmenzor had seen him before. There was no time to search for his name now. The King was approaching.

Keeping his own mind tightly shut, the Morgul Lord carefully sent his senses forth. Scanning for thoughts was not easy in this hall, full of expectant public. The though-din was terrible. Expertly channelling his senses, the Chancellor probed the King’s mind, trying to be as unobtrusive as possible.

He found Valandil’s mind tightly guarded. The Chancellor was unable to read any thought, only caught the feeling of the growing unease followed by dizziness. The king’s progress slowed considerably. Withdrawing at once, the Chancellor made a step forward and greeted the King.

Returning his greetings, the King introduced his followers. The Chancellor guessed right, the lame one was Estelmo. The man greeted him warmly, tears in his eyes. Estelmo was harmless enough, his mind open and his delight genuine. The enigmatic one was called Oreturion, the name the Chancellor had heard before from King Meneldil, who clearly hated the High King’s advisor. This one was dangerous, his mind a blank wall, eyes cold and searching.

A second later, the Morgul Lord felt both the King and his advisor trying to break through his defences and withdrawing, disappointed.

The Chancellor smiled. One has to be a maia or have the Ruling Ring to even hope to do that.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-13-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:27 AM   #255
Valandil

Aiwendis turned to the King. Her candid grey eyes searched his face.
"I am very fond of jewellery, My Lord King. May I have a look at your Ring?"

"Well..." said Valandil, "I cannot show you mine here... and now... Perhaps some other time?"

They exchanged nervous smiles.

"Mine is actually ... an heirloom as well," added Valandil, as he looked into her eyes for the first time. "Tell me though, what other jewelry you have... or admire."

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Last edited by Valandil : 10-13-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:45 AM   #256
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Aiwendis smiled, and made a small dismissive gesture, letting Val admire her shapely, long-fingered hand.

"There is nothing to show, My Lord. Almost all our heirlooms were lost in the War. We have nothing to compete with the Royal house."

The maiden's eyes smiled back at Val, a tad sadly, he thought. He looked deeper into their depths, trying to reach her soul at the bottom, but the grey eyes were like waters of a deep stormy sea, utterly bottomless. Looking into them made the dizziness Val felt, while walking through the Entrance Hall, grip him again. He was startled when he heard the Chancellor's cold voice at his shoulder.

"I believe, Aiwendis, His Majesty was referring to the Ring of Barahir, the very one Beren wore on his Quest. It is the greatest heirloom of the House of Andunie, barring the Scepter of Annuminas and Elendilmir. I heard some of these priceless treasures had been lost in the tragic disaster at the Gladden Fields, but I am glad to learn that it is not so."

The Chancellor paused and then, turning fully to face Val, he added,
"I see, my Lord King, you still have the sword of your valiant father at your side. How was it possible to save it from the orcs?"

Last edited by Gordis : 10-13-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:18 PM   #257
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Well, working in a forge and listening to Ray paid off! Never know when knowledge on *jewerly* would come in handy... Marty observed the King, Aiwendis, Chancellor and Advisors of the King, all chatting fairly aimiably. But he knew better, and shuddered to think of all the mind-battles taking place. he slowly disengaged himself from the group and went to pour himself a glass of water, in order to shake the remaining beer-guzzled feeling.

Well, I must thank Ray yet again, after all this time of drinking contests, he's taught me a thing or two! For, already he was feeling better and not so mullish. Walking around and greeting people, as was the norm, he went over and discussed the days game with the six fellow Rochdol players. But they soon made way over to two pretty she elves standing by a table. Marty looked twice, for there was the "maid" from Orrodel! "I knew there was more to her than met the eye! Good for her to get out a bit..." He took another sip and looked over to a far corner, and found the Jewerly teacher looking nervously into her glass of wine.

Now, Marty may not have the mental training of Valandil or those others, but he was no dummy. He knew that Mahtaliel was, for some reason, shaken by the ring. With respect and politness, he went forward and attempted to open a conversation with her.

At Marty's approach, she looked up and scanned him a bit. Finding nothing hostile, immensly powerful and fairly,amazingly enough, NORMAL, she relaxed a bit. Thank Eru! Some one who isn't a threat here...
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-13-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:48 PM   #258
Earniel

After introducing themselves to the players and learning their names in exchange, Eärniel said: "It was indeed today's Rochdol game we were talking about. I was unable to attend and RÃ*an was just telling me how it had gone."

"Then she surely told you that, even though we had to do without King Valandil, we sure showed the Sarn Ford Team how to win properly!" Tarmund, one of the Rochdol players boasted.

Eärniel smiled. "No," she said, "RÃ*an had not had time to tell me yet who won, we were... side-tracked. But congratulations all the same! But you said King Valandil wasn't playing? I was under the impression he never missed a single game."

One of the players nodded. "He does not. But he had injured his ankle after a fall before the game. Yet Ray and Mart- excuse me, Raendil and Marthalion managed splendidly without him!"

"You should have seen the faces of the Sarn Ford Team! Such disappointment!" A third Rochdol player said with a wide grin that clearly showed how much he enjoyed thar particular memory.

The Rochdol players started laughing loudly. Eärniel and RÃ*an laughed too, and their laughter like falling crystal water mingled with the roarish laughter of the human Rochdol players.

This is more like it, Eärniel thought, pleased. She was starting to enjoy herself somewhat, the bothering thoughts and the little disagreement with RÃ*an's employer were forgotten. Coming here was perhaps not that big a mistake it had seemed at first.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #259
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
"Skreeee! Skreeeee!" could be heard from somewhere above the City. A dot of a Buzzard wobbled in the air far above the University.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:44 PM   #260
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Maethor hardly had time to congratulate himself for the lack of attention of fortune-hunting females, when two girls approached him boldly. Both clearly belonged to that category, one a tall, rather flat blonde in orange, the other a plump brunette in green.

"Why are you standing here all alone, Lord… ? Sorry, I could not hear your name clearly, with all the crowd. My name in Miriel, and here is Malaphel, my little sister. Our father is the Governor of Tharbad"

"Are you the King’s knight? Are you from Annuminas? Malaphel asked, interrupting her sister.

"No, silly, he is a Professor!"

" Are you new to the City, then? Would you like us to take you around tomorrow?"

"My young Ladies, My name is Maethor. I…" started Udu, but was interrupted again.

" By the way, have you met Aiwendis? The one in white there, chatting with the King. We are her best friends. Come now, we will introduce you!"

Udu could not help but overhear the accompanying thought "...and she will introduce us to the King!"