Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-20-2003, 05:50 PM   #241
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Hi guys,

Now that the separate writer's forum has been created, I was wondering what your thoughts were on whether or not this thread should be left open. There is a wealth of material here that could now be spread out over several threads and given more room to move, but at the same time, this is an ongoing discussion and maybe you'd like to keep it alive.

Padlock or no?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:48 PM   #242
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

Nah, man, fantasy is a genre onto itself, so fantasy writing under the general 'writer's workshop' would be apropriate.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 12:46 PM   #243
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

hehehe.... just an extract from one of my storys...... watch i have copywrite on this....

"She sighed as she sat in the darkness of the forest. No words could describe the way she felt. The crimson sun rose over the tress as she blinked suprised. She had been sitting thinking all night, the time had passed so quickly. A horn sounded in the distant but was cut short. She couldn't do much now. It was over. The horn was the last cry for help and she was the only one who heard it. They were all gone now. She couldn't help anymore. It was over, she couldn't wander forever, her time was over too. They would come this way and she would be spotted. She wasn't someone who hid. She took off her weapons and sighed again. She was the last of her kind. The shadows drew across her face as she heard a noise below. She smiled as she felt a sharp pain in the back of her neck. Her eyes misted over as she saw the gates opened. They were all stood there welcoming her.......... "

okay not good i know.... but it's a first draft and i was board when i wrote this piece... and in a very morbid mood!!!

comments if you would be so kind
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:23 PM   #244
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

No, I think it's good It sounds like something I'd like to read, just guessing from that passage.

................I don't do a lot of writing outside poetry, which I do a lot of, but right now I'm working on a fantasy/adventure/romance. Its very fun to write but also very difficult because I'm so critical of what I create. I'm always comparing it to LotR, even though it's not much like it at all.

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Dreran the Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:28 PM   #245
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

why thank you...... haven't had much time to write recently.... *mutters* stupid exams
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 04-28-2003, 04:37 PM   #246
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

didn't write all i wanted to in that post.. opps

i always compare my work to that of others, but really you shouldn't, especially not to the likes of tolkien...... remember LOTR's was like a life time of work and he was a genius (in my opinion.... and alot of others).... i'm sure your a great writer
Old 04-28-2003, 05:02 PM   #247
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Thanks!
I know, probably no one should compare their writing to Tolkien's (except those working on the script for the movies), but it's hard when righting fantasy. Like if one of your characters happens to be immortal or something like that, you just keep comparing her to Legolas or Galadriel, which just doesn't work because she's not even an elf.
Oops. Just started a ramble about my story. Heehee

Is there a thead somewhere with more of your writing? It sound cool so far, I'd like to see more

*This is not actually true. The road to Hell is paved with frozen door to door salesmen. On weekends many of the younger demons go ice-skating down it. ~Good Omens
Old 04-29-2003, 02:59 AM   #248
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

no i don't have any more posted... most of my stuff is personal but i'm gonna start writing un-personal stuff (is that a word ).
i've had to put my writing on hold because of stupid gcse exams!!!!! but they'll be over in about a month and a bit so i'll start again, and i might post some on the internet.

i'd like to read a bit of yours.... i love reading-specially fantasy
Old 04-29-2003, 06:20 PM   #249
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Well, Ok. I thought I had to go to a school ceremony thingy, but its not until later so I have a little time. Anyway, here is one of the more recent excerpts from my story. Its just a scratch copy right now, so I'm afraid its not very good, but you can read it anyway.

By the way, I haven't shown this to other writers before, so opinions and suggestions please

*clears throat*:

All light had faded but that of the fair moon and stars, sending down their silver glow to kiss the warm night. Krylla stepped lightly out into the garden of Elquael. The cobblestone path was smooth under her bare feet, but not cold, for it was summer. Breezes scented with the perfumes of different flowers rushed past her. She giggled quietly to herself, knowing she could not be found in this beautiful maze. She was too clever a huntress to let anyone find her, not until she spotted them and surprised them by bursting from the bushes and laughing. It was what she did for fun in this garden. Tonight, though, she had only one person she wanted to find.

Well, that was shorter than I had hoped, but you get my general writing style anyway, though most of the story is rather more action-driven. Whadya think?

Last edited by Dreran the Green : 04-29-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:25 PM   #250
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I think it's very nice, indeed.

Quote:
All light had faded but that of the fair moon and stars, sending down their silver glow to kiss the warm night.
This line is especially beautiful.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 06:27 PM   #251
Dreran the Green
Lady of Legends

Thankyou! Its really encouraging that you like it!

Old 04-29-2003, 07:19 PM   #252
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Feel free to post a larger excerpt .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 03:01 AM   #253
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

wow DtG that is so much better than mine, god damn exams taking up my life.

i had a really good extract from one of my other sstorys to show you, which is alot better than my other one, but my stupid mother must have thrown it in the bin!!!!! i'll be having words with her......

just have to start writing again in french instaed of revision
Old 05-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #254
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Hey, Lalaith_Elf, I think it's very good.
It seems to me that a lot of Mooters are good writers. Why is that?
Do people who love reading also love writing?
Old 05-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #255
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

think so
i always have my head in a book and if i'm not doing that i'm writing, drawing or acting!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 01:41 PM   #256
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I used to either write or read ... but then we got the flatrate and now I have skipped both ...

PS: isn't funny to see the posts: Lalaith, Lalaith_Elf, Lalaith, Lalaith_Elf, Lalaith ....
Old 05-05-2003, 04:47 PM   #257
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

tehehehe.... i know, if your avatar wasn't so colourful or if we both didn't have one i'd think that your posts were mine..... , again i feel like i'm talking in circles

no more extracts yet peep, i'm revising *grins widly* arn't you proud!!! *grin drops* ugh.... i hate revision!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2003, 08:26 AM   #258
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

why are you always talking in circles, Lalaith_Elf?
Old 05-06-2003, 11:32 AM   #259
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

i dunno, i just do.... it's part of the whole insane character thing. i think by drinking at least five cups of coffee a day has a damaging effect on my brain.... plus i just like not making sense
Old 05-06-2003, 12:37 PM   #260
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

can someone please call the police? There is someone who should be arrested. lol
We should go back to the fantasy writing (and not spamming).