Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 08:50 PM   #241
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I'm falling rather behind here lately. I've been otherwise occupied with RL, and probably won't have as much time to write in this RPG until the end of this month, within the next couple weeks or so. I'll try, but another problem I have is that I have this story-plan and also the majority of all my interaction with Shah, who also is experiencing temporary technical difficulties. I like what everyone's been writing; it's terrific, but this story requires paying close & careful attention and devoting time each day to really reading and thinking about what I can and cannot do, without "group reproach" and so forth, and that requires a good deal of mental energy - which is GREAT energy, but I just don't have as much time to devote here as I used to. And what I really want to do with my characters will get everyone at my throat with complaints & nitpicks - this kind of feedback can be worked with, but is time-consuming & discouraging. When I have more time to be able to devote to sitting here for an hour or so straight every day like I used to, then I'll be writing more often in this RPG.

Anyway, Viv is supposed to have dinner with Shah's Ray Monday evening, plus Viv has her Lomi news but Lomi's news needs Shah's PMed approval before I break the news, and as yet I still haven't heard from her.

So, we'll see.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 01-18-2006, 01:43 AM   #242
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

mergh - I'm frustrated with this rpg! Being tired and in a bad mood doesn't help, I guess ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 01-18-2006 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:55 AM   #243
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hundreds of assailants? Bye bye Tharbad. No way the city is going to survive with just a few guards present. I hope Eärniel is a good runner, she's going to have to be to survive this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
It will take many a great ship to defend his new kingdom against the attacks from Gondor and from Mithlond...
Objection! Umbar is a good choice for villain, but in this age, so shortly after the Last Alliance, there is no way in hell you can make an attack from Cirdan on Arnor seem plausible, no matter how lowly the Witch-king thinks of Elves. It is much to soon for the relations between Men and Elves to fade.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #244
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Hundreds of assailants? Bye bye Tharbad. No way the city is going to survive with just a few guards present. I hope Eärniel is a good runner, she's going to have to be to survive this thing. .
I hope Tharbad has enough soldiers to withstand the assault. There are not to many pirates in 12 small ships: I would say 600-1000? How many are they, Udu?

And how many fighting men are there in Tharbad, Val?

There will be the effect of surprise, as with the strong favorable wind the ships are moving faster than any messenger riding a horse. But then Arnor troops are surely more numerous?

Quote:
Objection! Umbar is a good choice for villain, but in this age, so shortly after the Last Alliance, there is no way in hell you can make an attack from Cirdan on Arnor seem plausible, no matter how lowly the Witch-king thinks of Elves. It is much to soon for the relations between Men and Elves to fade.
Earniel, you must have misunderstood me. The Morgul Lord is thinking about HIS OWN new Kingdom of Arnor, not Val's. Of course the Elves, or Gondoreans wouldn't attack Val's kingdom.

The Chancellor is planning to supplant Val in not so near, but foreseeable, future and become the King himself.

Now, if Valandil dies childless, the scepter of Arnor should go to the nearest relative - his FIRST cousin Meneldil of Gondor. (If the line of Isildur fails, the line of Anarion takes over). Lord Ilmenzor is Val's THIRD cousin, and not a descendant of Elendil. So, if Ilmenzor becomes King, Meneldil will think himself cheated, and rightly. I bet Gondor will immediately attack Arnor, ruled by the usurper.

As for the Elves, most likely they will remain neutral as long as they don't know of Ilmenzor's true identity. But once they learn that Ilmenzor is a nazgul ( and a single Calaquendi elf coming to Val's burial or to Ilmenzor's coronation is enough for that), they will attack, both from Lindon and from Imladris.

That's why the Morgul Lord wants Arnor to become very strong before he supplants Val.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #245
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Not so large a suprise as you thought. Ships might be able to outdistance a horse, but they would never outsail the smoke from the fires they set during their last attack.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 01-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #246
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

I like the new routine.. everything's much more ordered that way, also I'm very interested in this attack on Tharbad.. Fighting, battles and glory... just what Tolvadok will like. Which reminds me of two posts I have to get up, one for the housekeeping, and one to finalise Jas' madness. But, someone should visit the poor guy, even if its only the ML. Suddenly, I know how lonely my poor little Jas is with so few friends!! Guess I'll get Bumble on to it!

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 01-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #247
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I'll have Mahta run into Bumble while he's on his way if you like. She still doesn't know that anything is wrong with Jas. She'll visit as soon as she finds out.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 01-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #248
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Earniel, you must have misunderstood me. The Morgul Lord is thinking about HIS OWN new Kingdom of Arnor, not Val's. Of course the Elves, or Gondoreans wouldn't attack Val's kingdom.
Ah, a misunderstanding indeed. I thought you were talking about the present, not the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
Not so large a surprise as you thought. Ships might be able to outdistance a horse, but they would never outsail the smoke from the fires they set during their last attack.
It wouldn't surprise me if the sea-side ports and villages actually had a warning system with fires to alert the inland of a possible attack. Of course, given the relative long period of peace-time they may have become derelict by now.

On the other hand, there are still the gulls. They might hasten to give Eärniel a head's up and the advice to scram. And they'd know the winds went funny.

In any case I don't think the king-mum is going to let Valandil stay another second in Tharbad if the place was under a considerable attack. And we'd be out much of the game's plot if Valandil leaves Tharbad.

Last edited by Earniel : 01-18-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #249
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Grey Wolf! I hope you will take the buzzards and the griffons following the raiding party under your wing! There supposed to be a hundreds of them soon!
As u can see, not only are there birds of prey en masse, vicious vampires have invaded the city also.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:02 PM   #250
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Sorry everyone - I've been sick (coughing, congestion and temperature) and sleeping a lot... about 15 of the last 20 hours!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #251
MangoPi
Enting

Tom Bombadil

Wow, you guys are just busy busy little bees!

I would like to know the posting schedule: are you doing this in real time? Lady M had offered me a position as her assistant in the embalming class room, and I would like to do that, but if the position is not applicable, then I could easily be some sort fo grounds keeper, or stable manger or what not.

Anyway, here's my character bio:

Name: alternately Narag-bund (Black Brow, when he was younger) or Zigil-tarâg (Silver Beard, today)
You could call him Zigi. He will not like it, but you can call him that.

Appearance: He's a dwarf which means short and stocky accompanied by a conical dwarf hat and other dwarf trappings. (His hat is blue.) He’s older which means his beard has gone grey, but his prodigious eyes brows (for which he was famous for when he was younger) are still as black and bushy as ever.

Dislikes: Elves ("With all the singing, and the noise-making and the nancing; they all frickin’ nance!!") and humans ("Smell like horses to me. Sick horses.") ...and other Dwarves. ("Won't pulling their heads out of the Mythril and see what's about them!")

Personality: Cantankerous.

Weapons of choice: in mild disputes in involving verbal disagreements, he uses his patented Black Brow Glower of Disapproval, which is usually enough to cow those of weaker constitutions. Failing that, he has his many, small throwing hatchets, and a War Axe he calls “Gretchen.”
(As seen here: )
[ http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/images/XH2079.JPG ]

Past: won't ever come into play in any major way to the story, so isn't really important (ei, I'm too lazy to make stuff up that fits into the canonical time line.) That is important is that he was alive when Belegost was sacked/invaded/destroyed/lost and suffers a mild case of PTSD, which is where all the drinking comes in.

(*"Hoplite beer", in honor of my old History teacher who proposed the following questions on our final exam:
"Hoplite" refers to:
a.) A group of foot soldiers moving in formation
b.) A group of men on horses, moving independently
c.) a frothy beverage

One consequence of the Peloponnesian War was:
a.) the Peace of Nicias
b.) Hoplite Beer began to be sold in Sparta as well as Athens
c.) the Spartans installed their own oligarchic government in Syracuse

The most devastating consequence of Columbus’s arrival in America was that he brought with him:
a.) (I can't remember)
b.) Hoplite Beer
c.) European Diseases

Narlyë nat vanya!
Old 01-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #252
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

That position is exceedingly applicable. I've been thinking about it and I honestly cannot see how an elf of the first age age (or any age) would want to have anything to do with embalming, much less teach it. An assistant solves that quite nicely. Mahta will teach the theory bits and if Mango consents Zigi can take care of the rest.

- The Crucible

Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #253
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Not so large a suprise as you thought. Ships might be able to outdistance a horse, but they would never outsail the smoke from the fires they set during their last attack.
LMM, it is about 230 miles from Lond Daer to Tharbad. I don't think smoke can be carried that far.
Edit: Maggie, I have just seen your post in the main thread. You see, the pirates are really far away from Tharbad yet - even on Wednesday morning - more than 150 miles. Two days travel, even with the favorite wind. They will come to Tharbad on Friday evening/night only. Then we shall have the fighting. Before that we shall have bonfire festival and so on.
Please, please, edit your post! Leave your observation on the wind, maybe feel some unease, but there is nothing yet to give a warning of danger.

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if the sea-side ports and villages actually had a warning system with fires to alert the inland of a possible attack. Of course, given the relative long period of peace-time they may have become derelict by now..
Everything at Lond Daer is in ruin- the wave of the Downfall destroyed it. There is only a small village left nearby.

The peace was too long, and Umbarians never came that far North.

Quote:
On the other hand, there are still the gulls. They might hasten to give Eärniel a head's up and the advice to scram. And they'd know the winds went funny...
That' why I asked Grey Wolf to tale the birds of prey under his wing. There is a lot of them there, feasting on dead bodies. The gulls will have no chance, I hope.

Quote:
In any case I don't think the king-mum is going to let Valandil stay another second in Tharbad if the place was under a considerable attack. And we'd be out much of the game's plot if Valandil leaves Tharbad.
And Val is the King, not a baby, eh, Val?

The pirates are too weak to destroy or to take Tharbad. We shall have a night of fierce fighting, but then they will be repelled.

I believe it will be more interesting game-wise if they come with no warning.
We promise not to maim or kill any important characters! But let us have a nice unexpected night fight on Friday, PLEASE! *puppy-eyes*

Last edited by Gordis : 01-18-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:57 PM   #254
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
As u can see, not only are there birds of prey en masse, vicious vampires have invaded the city also.
Thank you, GW! I hope your buzzards will not let any messengers (like gulls and such) bring the news to good guys in Tharbad. And the birds will have plenty of food.

As for vampires, I believe it is better not to send any demonic creatures into the city, considering our precarious situation. Better keep them outside the city walls, South-West of Tharbad, on both banks of the Gwathlo. Eat all the messengers who try to warn Val of the attack!

Val, I hope you will get better soon. We miss you!

LMM:"I've been thinking about it and I honestly cannot see how an elf of the first age age (or any age) would want to have anything to do with embalming, much less teach it. "

I have always wondered about it. Embalming is Numenorean art, mostly connected with the Shadow and the desire for eternal life. More appropriate would have been to make Sapthan teach it... But as it is, I am glad you got an assistant. (and a Dwarf, no less!)
Old 01-18-2006, 05:12 PM   #255
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Thank you, GW! I hope your buzzards will not let any messengers (like gulls and such) bring the news to good guys in Tharbad. And the birds will have plenty of food.

As for vampires, I believe it is better not to send any demonic creatures into the city, considering our precarious situation. Better keep them outside the city walls, South-West of Tharbad, on both banks of the Gwathlo. Eat all the messengers who try to warn Val of the attack!

Val, I hope you will get better soon. We miss you!
Borrowing friends laptop at lunch.

And yes, smoke can be carried that far, I've seen burning villages like that myself. Smoke can be carried that far. As for gulls, they are very very vocal birds, they can always use the method of shouting it along. And buzzards are unable to catch and kill gulls in the air, its like a b-17 trying to out manuver a f-15. No way in heck.

Another case for fire, the guard lights of Minas Tirith during ROTK, Whatshisface thought they were dragons for all their intensity, and they were said to be used as beacons to allies and warings to foes. I think the case of our fire alarming Shah and Mahta are fine.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #256
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Gordis, I know they're still two days away, but your request for an edit assumes that our characters don't tend towards paranoia.
My character has seen too many battles to not immediately act on a feeling of unease. Sane and I talked about this and her character wouldn't hesitate to act either. They don't know exactly what is coming up river, but whatever it is they want to make sure people know to be ready.

The corsairs still have an element of surprise, it's just been reduced a bit.

- The Crucible

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 01-18-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:25 PM   #257
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Sane, the distance from Minas Tirith to Edoras is 350 miles and there were at least 5 beacons in between! (or were there seven?0
But it is NOT the point.

I don't ask LMM to edit her post because it is IMPOSSIBLE to sense smoke at that distance. Perhaps it is, for all I know.

I ask to edit, because I think it will be much more interesting for all the players to have an unexpected attack on Friday night and fierce night fighting. Heroic deeds and such. The corsairs will be repelled or destroyed.

Don't you think so?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:34 PM   #258
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Not really, but whatever. I've never been in a battle that was heroic when I was caught off guard. Those are usually the ones I loose.

Another thing to consider:

In my drinking post, I said that Shah and a goodly sized force would be traveling horseback on a scouting mission around the lands, as soon as he gets down from that wall. It was already planned, and now that he sense trouble on the wind or whatever, he'd be riding in that direction. I think they could also ruin your surprise, because they would have a falcon and Volricom riding with tidings against your corsairs.

Fortunatly, I can pull the whole Rohirrim 80+ mile bag o tricks on it, with the smoke being seen when within a hundred miles. (you can deffinatly see the wreckage of a ruined village/town/thing and smoke from those fires with the winds while within a hundred miles, no doubt there.

Another things with the beacons, there were OUTPOSTS. People had to light them, which means that regardless of Edoras, Minas Tirith would get its but in gear and get prepared. But thats not the point.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:38 PM   #259
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Gordis, I know they're still two days away, ."
Quote:
"We'll find out soon enough. Thick enough to see, it can't be too far away. I'm ringing the bell soon as I get down to the watch tower."
Two days away is NOT "not too far away"!

Quote:
The corsairs still have an element of surprise, it's just been reduced a bit.
Reduced a bit? The bell ringing in the watchtower two days in advance?

The element of surprise is ruined.

It will make potentially awesome RPG event really DULL.

Please, reconsider!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #260
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Honestly... no. I think it'll be more interesting if people know something is coming but aren't sure of what so that everyone is on edge and trying to go about their normal routines while the suspense gets built up till friday night when the corsairs come and find that they're being offered more resistance than they thought they would.

Not only do I think it's more interesting that way, but I think it's much more plausible. The first place the corsairs are likely to hit will be the docks, where all the normal, working class people who wouldn't stand a chance given no warning live. If you want the attack to be successfully repelled some warning is necessary.

Besides which it would be completely out of character for Shah or Mahta to not warn people if they thought there was trouble coming upriver. They would (rightly) consider themselves traitors if they kept quiet.

Heroic deeds are still perfectly possible.

- The Crucible

Closed Thread