Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 03:29 AM   #241
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
This report may cheer you up some.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html
We can be comforted to know that the news from Iraq is not all bad.

Vent: My annoyance at BBC News is increasing. In their description of our recent joint Iraqi and US military operations, they mentioned nothing about the good that is being done. They did not mention the growing insurgent casualties, but rather just describe how dangerous Al'Qaeda is and how "no US troops have died yet". BBC's left-wing bias in reporting is certainly annoying me. This is just added to my already existing annoyance at BBC for picking on the Republican and Christian leaders, without presenting both sides of the story. BBC also likes a good scrap, a good contraversy, even if one doesn't exist. Like that silly story it posted about Bush having said God told him to go into Iraq and Afghanistan. The only source of this story that BBC has is one Palestinian official, and that official claims that in context, he didn't think it should be taken literally. BBC likes to make a lot out of nothing solid, if it blackens Pres. Bush's name. And the story about Pat Robertson. Very one sided.

Oh well.

Anti-Vent: I am very pleased with BBC for having the courage to speak the truth in Uzbekistan, even if it caused their bureau there to be dismantled by the government. In some ways, the article on BBC about the matter was badly put, but I still think the evidence was solid and the courage to act on it was laudable. So about that, I'm pleased with BBC.
That's what I love about NPR. They'll say stuff that no one else will. Such as plans to build housing developments on part of the Chocolate Mountain nuclear testing site...
Old 11-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #242
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4417462.stm

Almost 1000 whales need to be killed in order to examine the ecosystem and model competition?? Wrath is the right word describing how I feel right now.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 11-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #243
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I gotta say, I'm with "N" on this one. The Japanese have always gone their own way when it comes to whales....others have also but not as severe TMK.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #244
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It's pretty old news, still very infuriating 'though. Japan has been cranking up the number of dead whales for years. For a country that has such a tradition of honour it is rather degrading to see them hide after the 'scientific' argument.

Nothing is done with the data they do gather, other than plan more whale hunts, I take it. And the meat comes on the commecial market anyway. Not to mention that Japan has been accused of bribing other, tiny, oceanic IWC-countries with development-money for their support.

On top of that their factory ships have been spotted in marine reserves which should be a big nono to everyone!

But that's the problem with every international treaty that has good intentions but failed to provide for a system of fines or punishments for offenders. Much of the moratorium on whaling depends sadly enough on people's good will. And we all know how much there is of that in the world...
Old 11-08-2005, 05:04 PM   #245
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I just don't understand, HOW can they still be hunting the whales? It's horrific! Horrific! I'd like to beat some of those fisherman to bloody pulps, like they do the innocent whales. I'f like to beat the crap out of them all. Freakin' Japanese fisherman. Idiots. Morons. Selfish, cruel bastardi. We hates them.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-08-2005, 05:15 PM   #246
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Well, for them and many others, there just aint nothin better than a bit'o'whale jerky! Yummers, it actually tastes kinda good though! *runs and hides* It does though! I hate that they are doing it, and it's really pathetic that Japan is hiding from science, but I did eat whale once. Didn't know what it was till I finished it.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #247
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I KEEEL you. KEEL you! *runs after Shah, drunkenly waving sushi knife, apron flapping wildly* NO EAT WHALE HEEERE!

Old 11-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #248
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Talking about ramming whaler ships, that reminds me of an organisation called "Sea Shepard". If I'm not mistaken they actually rammed (and sunk!) one or two whalers in their prime years. Now I believe they guard the waters around the Galápagos in cooperation with the government there to stop illegal environment-damaging activities.

VENT: How is it that in the beginning of the week it looks like you have seas of time to accomplish some things, and that two days later your week is packed!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:42 PM   #249
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

You are most correct. When I used to work at the docks in seattle, I saw those NOAH and Sea Shepard ships in for repairs, some of the time they looked like they were besieged by pirates...my goodness!

Vent: Can't find my f-ing keys!!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #250
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Be the keys. Be one with the keys. Think, "If I were keys, where would I want to be?" The keys have lost YOU, not you the keys. You'll find'em!

Old 11-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #251
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

*snerk* Riight...Use the force....
[right in the middle of that, I actually found my keys under my note book, peeping out at me] Crazy!

Last edited by The last sane person : 11-08-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #252
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

*laughs, tears rolling down* LOL!

VENT: I'm scared stiff. Is this a confession or a vent? I dunno. I'm an idiot. *pulls at hair, knocks head against wall* The big world is out there waiting for me, and I'm too scared to get there. Woe is me.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 11-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #253
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Oh Rosie, I know that feeling very well. 'Twas my friends who helped me out of it, dragging me with them - well, dragging me into Real Life. But I'm still a scaredy-cat sometimes... especially when it comes to relationships.

Went today: must type, MUST type that text summary so I can hand it in tomorrow... Friggin' classes. Gah. (Well a quite usual vent, but still... )
Old 11-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #254
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I have an economic and information test tomorrow. I have never been a person who don't care about school, but now I'm that close from it. It's the most boring, stupid, ****ing class ever! I'm going to celebrate for three full days when I'm done with this class, which isn't before summer next year.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #255
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Ack. Well, good luck with that, Pytt... Luckily, many of my boring classes (practically all which have names starting with Introduction To. Arrgh.) will be over & done with by December. Hopefully I won't fail them, so I won't have to take them up again. *shudder*
Old 11-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #256
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I guess this is the place to first: be relieved that I finished my Chinese midterm today, and felt that I had done pretty well on it. BUT, more importantly, I have yet another midterm tomorrow. And this one is supposed to take the full two+ hours of class.

Now, I love Sanskrit, but I'm not really a fan of Sandhi rules and all those vowel and consonant changes that seem almost arbitrary, but yet you know there is some elusive reason for them, so you can't discredit them. And then the 24 forms for every noun, with changes depending on the word final ending. At least we only know two forms of verbs at the moment, with nine forms for each of those. Those really aren't a problem.

And I really like Devanagari, the script. I just am worried about such a large test with so much to remember for it, and I've been ill recently.

My DA page
Old 11-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #257
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Forgive my ignorance but why are you taking Chinese and Sanskrit?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:04 AM   #258
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Vent: aaarrgh. Cultural antropology test tomorrow. And I'm reading texts full of phrases like "the adaptive specialization of populations". Ack. It may not seem so terrible in English, but believe me, in Hungarian it is. *sigh* I couldn't quite get used to scientific texts yet.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:56 AM   #259
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
Now, I love Sanskrit, but I'm not really a fan of Sandhi rules and all those vowel and consonant changes that seem almost arbitrary, but yet you know there is some elusive reason for them, so you can't discredit them. And then the 24 forms for every noun, with changes depending on the word final ending. At least we only know two forms of verbs at the moment, with nine forms for each of those. Those really aren't a problem.

And I really like Devanagari, the script. I just am worried about such a large test with so much to remember for it, and I've been ill recently.
You're into languages. How cool.
Devanagari is indeed very beautiful! I hope you do well on your test. You poor thing, all those noun/verb forms + Sandhi rules sound difficult.

Vent: Typhoid injection made my arm really sore. How am I supposed to type up essays when it hurts to have my arm in virtually any position? If it gets worse I'm going to actually have to take paracetamol, as much as I don't like to.
[Edit] Ok, now I'm taking some. I can't friggen get any work done otherwise.

Last edited by Linaewen : 11-11-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:30 AM   #260
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

*sigh* I dunno what to do with myself.

I want to study something involving music, but I'm not good enough for a performance major, and I'm not sure that I'm interested in Music Marketing... argh.
Closed Thread