Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 03:59 PM   #241
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Oooo

Hey all! It's been a while since i posted. I'm doing pretty well with my tengwar I think. I have most/all? of the punctuation/modifiers memorized (well atleast as much as I need) and I can write pretty fluently in it. I translated a wonderful section from Turin's tale in the silmarillion in to the elvish alphabet with calligraphy and it's lamenated on the back of my Bible folder.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:40 PM   #242
katya
Elven Maiden

Hey Sminty we missed you. Glad to see that your Tengwar is going well. By the way, what exactly is a Bible folder?
Old 11-02-2002, 05:44 PM   #243
Sminty_Smeagol

ahhh... I have a bible class at my school. The plastic binder/folder I use for that class.
Old 11-02-2002, 05:54 PM   #244
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

What section did you translate? So much of it is v. sad...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-02-2002, 06:11 PM   #245
katya
Elven Maiden

oh yeah that makes sense sminty i just didn't know if it was something i was supposed to know what it meant, if you know what I mean. yeah...um...my calligraphy pen is dead. i found that my writing looks nicer if most of it is not very flowy, since i am bad at flowy. if you look at the g tengwa in the fellowship of the ring in shadow of the past, it is like that. that is my usual writing. then with nice s-curls sometimes or whatever. still no scanner.
Old 11-02-2002, 10:51 PM   #246
Sminty_Smeagol

yeah

I translated the part where turin talks to his sword thingy and kills himself. Turin's story has always been my favorite... and now I am reading it in Unfinished Tales
Old 11-02-2002, 11:21 PM   #247
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Ooh, that's one of my favorite bits. Where the sword says something like "Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, to help me forget the blood of Beleg my master and (what's his name, I can never remember), killed unjustly. Yes, I will slay thee swiftly"? I love that! It gives me chills.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-03-2002, 09:29 PM   #248
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Rian- How do I get a file on to the entmoot, so you guys can see it??
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune

Last edited by Ms. Undomial : 11-03-2002 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:31 PM   #249
Sminty_Smeagol

The part that starts with "Hail Gurthang.....<insertstuffhere> Wilt thou slay me swiftly?"
Old 11-04-2002, 01:59 AM   #250
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Ms. U - here's info on how to scan in a page and shrink it down to 10K or less with Windows (if you have the programs that I call out). It can't be lots of writing all over the page - start with just half a page or less to get the hang of it. Good luck, let me know how it goes. It works for TC and me, but I think it didn't work for someone else. The main thing (and the HARD thing) is to get it down to 10k or less.

put paper with small amount of writing in printer/scanner, go to programs->accessories->imaging, set the scan mode to B&W, resolution to Laser 300 dpi, scale to 50%, then press Scan New. Then File->save as, and save as .bmp. This file is usually about 250K. Close imaging program, open paint program (also under accessories), open .bmp file. Under Image->stretch/skew, set the stretch to 50% in both horiz. and vertical and hit OK, then go to file->save as and save it as a .gif. This usually makes it 9 to 10k, which is fine.

Then at the bottom of the page where you type in your new post, where it says "attach file" at the left, hit the browse button to find your file.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-04-2002, 02:45 PM   #251
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Okay, this is frightening...today during a History quiz, I just randomly started writing the answers in Tengwar. I didn't even realize I had switched from English to Tengwar until halfway down the page, and then I had to go and translate it back and rewrite it in English! I felt so stupid... But it was funny.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-04-2002, 05:22 PM   #252
Rían

OMGoodness- that IS funny! Did your teacher comment, or did you not have to turn in the page that you wrote Tengwar on?

Old 11-04-2002, 05:33 PM   #253
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

it doesn't work! it says that the file is too big.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Old 11-04-2002, 05:51 PM   #254
Rían

How big was the file? Were you close to 10K?

You might want to start with just one or two words and go thru my step-by-step instructions. Check file sizes as you go. Hang in there - it took TC and me awhile to get it down, but it's fun once you do! Did you have all the programs that I mentioned?

Old 11-04-2002, 06:03 PM   #255
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

My file is 25,629 bytes. how do I make it smaller??
Old 11-04-2002, 06:20 PM   #256
Rían

I have to run pick up the kids from school now, so just let me ask what type of file it is? bmp, gif, what? And did you go thru all of the instructions I wrote down? It's really a pain until you get used to it, then it goes quickly. If you would like me to continue to troubleshoot for you (and I would be glad to!), would you please write just 1 sentence in Tengwar, go thru the detailed instructions, write down the sizes and types of the different files at each stage, and post the info here. Hang in there, and I'll check back later today

Old 11-04-2002, 06:31 PM   #257
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Yay! I think this will work!! it is 7,000 bytes!! let me know if you can see it!
Attached Images
File Type: gif aaaaaaa.gif (7.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-04-2002, 06:37 PM   #258
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

wow that's big!

*realisation dawns* Hey, I could read that! WOOHOOO!!!
Old 11-04-2002, 06:40 PM   #259
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

the next one I want to do won't work. it says it is 15,000 bytes. can anyone help me make it smaller?
Old 11-04-2002, 06:41 PM   #260
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

On what resolution do you scan? Lower resolution often helps to reduce the size (at least on my scanner)