Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #241
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Here are some quotes from Ven. Mother Luisita, which I think you all might appreciate.

See God, your soul and eternity,
and for the rest, do not preoccupy yourself…
For greater things you were born.

Place yourselves in the hands of God,
submissive entirely to His divine will.

To love God is to long to become united with Him. If we want to be united with God, we must desire to renounce our own ideas and our own wants in order to have only the ideas, wishes, and thoughts of Jesus Christ. Than that’s the distinctive mark of true love.

Trust, my child, only in God
and try to please Him at all costs.

I thought of you, RÃ*an, when I read this one.

Raise your eyes to heaven and see the joy that is awaiting you. Let’s bless our good God in all and for all because He allows everything to happen for our own good. How beautiful, my child, to be always smiling and at peace in whatever way Our Lord has you.

----
That last one reminds me of 1 Thess. 5:18 and Romans 8:28. It can be a great challenge, but there is tremendous value in the practice of thanking God for all circumstances. Even brutal circumstances such as those you are in.

Friends, would you please pray for me? I'm going on a vocation discernment trip throughout this February, visiting three different religious orders. The last day I will be with these orders is the 27th. Then I fly home.

I'm sure that I'm called to the religious vocation, but I don't know in which order. So I need prayer for discernment and guidance this month.

Also, prayer so I will cease to be abominably prideful, and so that I will truly abandon myself and love God alone, and all things only in and through Him.

I would greatly, greatly appreciate this! Thank-you!!!
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 02-04-2011 at 02:50 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:50 AM   #242
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Lief! Good ta see ya still kickin' around... how did your trial period go? Are you going to join that order?

EDIT: Cross-posted with ya there, buddy. Prayers for your successful discernment ascending.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #243
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Voronwen, what everyone else said I hope you'll find someone to share your path with you for a while and with whom you can be happy without having to hold back or feel held back on.
Thank you so much, Mari. That is exactly what i need... with the exception of "for a while"... I am praying for someone who will walk this life with me to the very end. Praise God!!!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #244
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar View Post
Lief! Good ta see ya still kickin' around... how did your trial period go? Are you going to join that order?

EDIT: Cross-posted with ya there, buddy. Prayers for your successful discernment ascending.
Thanks! Your prayers are greatly appreciated!

It's great to see you again, too!

The order I visited, the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate, was excellent. I love them to pieces, and so does our Lady. This fact was obvious! But I didn't feel called to join them. I think the Lord wants me to go somewhere with greater potential for evangelistic outreach. The order I visited was pretty limited in its opportunities to bring the Word to others. Other orders are much more active. This one seems to emphasize contemplative solitude life a good deal more than it does outreach, though it has outreach as well. Many of its members don't get to participate in that directly, though, and many of those that do participate in evangelism only have a small number of windows to do it in. So I'm looking for a place where I could spend much more of my time spreading God's Word. The three orders I'll be visiting in February are all evangelistic. I've read all about them from their websites, and will be interested in looking at them up close.

These three orders are the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (in Texas), the Franciscan Friars of the Eternal Word (in Alabama), and the Dominicans (in St. Louis). So I'll be spending time with all three orders this month, and will return home on Feb. 27th.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #245
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post
Thank you so much, Mari. That is exactly what i need... with the exception of "for a while"... I am praying for someone who will walk this life with me to the very end. Praise God!!!
I'm praying for you, Voronwen!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #246
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post
I don't know for sure, but perhaps she meant "for a while" the way that I took it - IOW, the "for a while" bit is true even if you marry someone and spend the rest of your lives together, because married life isn't all of life - so even if you do find and marry a wonderful partner, it's still "for a while" - IOW, that's only part of a life that can be very beautiful.

Anyway, I will certainly pray for you for that! and also that we ALL grow in keeping the two commandments that Jesus said were everything.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #247
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson View Post
These three orders are the Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (in Texas), the Franciscan Friars of the Eternal Word (in Alabama), and the Dominicans (in St. Louis). So I'll be spending time with all three orders this month, and will return home on Feb. 27th.
Je vais prier pour ta vocation, mon ami!

Of course, if you were only looking for an awesome habit, it's just one stop at the Dominicans.

Unbeatable.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #248
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
I don't know for sure, but perhaps she meant "for a while" the way that I took it - IOW, the "for a while" bit is true even if you marry someone and spend the rest of your lives together, because married life isn't all of life - so even if you do find and marry a wonderful partner, it's still "for a while" - IOW, that's only part of a life that can be very beautiful.
Yes, that. Your path is longer than this life alone, but I'm not sure you can share your own path with a particular person for the whole rest of it, beyond the end of this life.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #249
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Ahh, silly me, i see what you mean now Thank you!!!
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #250
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Tomorrow, at 9:20, I fly out to Baylor, for interviews for the PhD program. Prayers that it go well would be appreciated.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #251
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Say a few prayers for me. I have four mid-terms in three days, and this is where I find out if all of my hard work and new study techniques are going to pay off... eegh. It would be easier if I weren't having to work so many hours in the middle of this... for example tonight I'm going to lose a lot of study time to a rehearsal and choir performance and tomorrow I lose study time to my office work.

If I don't ace this stuff, I blame God.

(p.s. just kidding)
Old 03-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #252
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Will do, Tessar

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #253
Mari
Elf Lady

You could blame us for not praying hard enough for you

Old 03-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #254
Mari
Elf Lady

I'd like to ask you to pray for Japan and the people of Tokyo, some of them my friends. I have no idea if they're safe, so please pray for their safety. And for my sanity perhaps.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #255
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Thinking about and praying your friends and Tokyonians and Japanese People.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #256
inked
Elf Lord

Prayers for the Japanese and continuing for the New Zealanders as well.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 PM   #257
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Prayers for the people of Japan, Hawaii, and New Zealand.

Everyone who wants to help can donate to help each of these countries or specifically Japan through Red Cross, link below.

http://american.redcross.org/site/Pa...name=ntld_main

You can also donate $10 to the Red Cross by texting REDCROSS to 90999.
(what I did)

Again, prayers for all the people of these countries.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Last edited by EllethValatari : 03-13-2011 at 09:12 PM.
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM   #258
Mari
Elf Lady

I asked for it before, but I'm asking again: please pray for the people of Japan.
My friend has heard nothing of his family and friends yet who live in that area, but may just be cut off from internet and phones etc.
Please pray for them and for my friends.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #259
Mari
Elf Lady

Dear all, a very dear friend of mine has been hospitalised after a mild heart attack and she has to undergo bypass surgery tomorrow. Please pray for her safety and for the doctors performing the surgery.

Regarding my previous request: my friend from Japan still hasn't heard from his family or friends I'm still hoping, but whether he ever will hear from them again is becoming more and more of an uncertainty.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #260
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Oh no, Mari, that's terrible. Prayers ascending.