Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2002, 08:01 PM   #241
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Good points, Ferrous One, and this again brings me back to my disagreement with the folks who slam PJ for variations from the Master's story.

I agree that a lot of the things PJ has "added" were simply activities which did occur, albeit "off-screen". There are exceptions, such as Arwen blah blah blah, but I can forgive PJ telling the story a bit differently to try to reach a broader audience.

Haven't any of you had the problem of trying to get someone to read the books, only to have them report later, "the beginning is so slow!"? PJ just jazzed it up a bit, but look at the incredible level of detail he gives us in painting Tolkien's Middle-Earth!

I do believe a lot of the above criticism is unjust.

Thanks, olsonm!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 10:37 PM   #242
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I agree with the Ferrous psittacidid, and bropous (*remembers another thread, from many ages past, invovling a disagreement with bropous, and laughs*). Especially about expanding Eowyn's screentime, etc. So I won't repeat what they said.

Dernhelm shot? I didn't see one! Just the one of her on a horse, but she's definitely not Dernhelm there. . .*watches the trailer 100 more times on the computer* Still don't see her!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!

Last edited by Eruviel Greenleaf : 05-13-2002 at 11:34 PM.
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:16 PM   #243
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
1. Q: Do I REALLY want to go over all this again?
A: No.
Well, obviously you did or you wouldn't have posted
Old 05-13-2002, 11:36 PM   #244
Eruviel Greenleaf

*curses*
Nobody ever notices my nerdy attemtps to use latin/scientific family names when referring to iron parrot. And I still haven't seen the car!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-13-2002, 11:38 PM   #245
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Aww... I noticed!

Hug hug, pat pat
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:56 PM   #246
Eruviel Greenleaf

Hooray! He noticed! *dances a jig*

So what was this about a shot of Dernhelm?

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-14-2002, 12:05 AM   #247
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

There's a shot of Eowyn on a horse, yes, but does Eowyn ordinarily have facial hair?

At first thought it could have been Faramir in that shot, except the hair is very different in both styling and length from an earlier shot of Faramir.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 05-14-2002, 12:33 AM   #248
Eruviel Greenleaf

Oh! That one! *remembers* I think I'll go watch the trailer again and look for that. . .huh.

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-14-2002, 12:36 PM   #249
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

Eowyn on a horse drat, I missed that one. I thought it was Eomer. I also still haven't seen that rumoured car. Need to see trailer again. In fact, need to see whole movie again. Sigh, time is just not on my side....
Old 05-14-2002, 03:05 PM   #250
Polkat
Enting

Location: yateley which is a small and rather boring town in england!
Where can you download the trailer?

Please, I am dying without a year of LotR. I suppose I could rewatch my thousands of fellowship trailers and listen mornfully to my soundtrack but I would be prefere a trailer pretty please. Have only seen it once in the cinema.

Didn't see Eowyn/dernhelm but then wasn't really watching, too busy cheering and getting shhhhhed.

I agree with Iron Parrot. The scene from the trailer I am looking forward to most is the Eowyn/Aragorn scene. Looks great!

On a different line, no didn't notice any latin any help here would be hot [ah jar jar moment!!]

And one yet a different note Eärniel, what is your little icon thing supposed to be? It has been annoying me for ages.
Old 05-14-2002, 04:05 PM   #251
Eruviel Greenleaf

Polkat....pcittacidid is the scientific family name for parrots and parakeets...it's latin.

the trailer: www.full-bloom.net/media

I never thought it might be Eowyn, but now I see what you mean, it does look like her *freezes an image of Eowyn* okay *freezes the rider* Yep, it does look like her!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-14-2002, 06:02 PM   #252
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Your link is broken.

Old 05-14-2002, 06:05 PM   #253
Eruviel Greenleaf

Thanks, I'll try again. . .um, go to www.full-bloom.net and then go to multimedia. Don't be scared away Orli fans!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!

Last edited by Eruviel Greenleaf : 05-14-2002 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:33 PM   #254
Earniel

Gollum <- this one?

Quote:
Originally posted by Polkat
And one yet a different note Eärniel, what is your little icon thing supposed to be? It has been annoying me for ages.
Just what icon are you referring to Polkat? The little gollum I often put on top of my posts or another?
Old 05-15-2002, 12:01 PM   #255
Polkat
Enting

Tom Bombadil Thaaankyooooooou!!!!

Love everyone!! Trailer works at Full Bloom!! It has never done that before.

Well its still pretty dodgey, no colour etc etc but is still the 2 towers, horray horray.

Yer I agree about the Eowyn bit. Is definately her and not Faramir or an actual man or if it is i feel v sorry for Faramir.

Eärniel, different icon. Was informed yesterday it is called an avatar. but while we're on the subject who is my icon supposted to be? i have no idea. strange.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:12 PM   #256
Earniel

Gollum

Still haven't spotted Eowyn. I knew I was unobservant but now I seem blind as well. Maybe I should find myself a better copy of trailer.

Oh my avatar. I've picked a picture of the sea because it suits my name. You can choose any avatar you like frankly, you can pick something that you like. It just have to be small enough.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:29 PM   #257
Polkat
Enting

Tom Bombadil

didn;t mean that.

apparently have made self out to look like someon who cannot make their own decisions [sigh] probably true too. [bigger sigh]

no what i meant was the silly litte man with the blue hat and the red beard. probably next to the words "didn't mean that" only with a semi colon in between the n and the t coz i cant be bothered to go back and change it.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:04 AM   #258
The Ringbearer
Elven Warrior

Location: Crickhollow in the summer, and Rivendell in the winter
Treebeard

Ummmmmm.....Does it count if I got a bootleg version off the Internet? I still really loved it!

Pippin and Treebeard(loved the eye part!)!

THEODEN!

Eowen and Aragorn!(she coulda' killed him )

NNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD TTTTTWWWOOOO TTTTTTOOOOOOWWWWWWEEEERRRRRRRRSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'But you're a part of this world! Aren't you?'

Frodo lives!
The Ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 02:53 AM   #259
Eruviel Greenleaf

I've watched the bootleg version on my computer about a hundred times

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-25-2002, 01:01 AM   #260
Nienna Grey
Enting

Gandalf

I've seen the TT trailer three times at the cinema now (at the end of FotR) but I haven't downloaded a copy yet.

I'm most looking forward to seeing Treebeard, I reckon he and the other Ents will be one of the best things in the movie if the glimpse in the trailer is anything to go by.

Also looking forward to seeing Theoden, Wormtongue et al.