Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 05:34 PM   #221
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

This looks like an interesting link too: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tengwar.htm

I don't know whether it was posted before and I haven't had enough time to explore it fully but it looks interesting and it has many other links as well.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:25 PM   #222
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

*takes a quick look because she is trying to get dinner ready and help 3 kids with homework and can't take long * Thanks, Eärniel, that does look like a good one. I'll take a longer look when I can .

Ms. U, instead of my typing in all the letters, could you just ask me about the ones that you can't find? I think that would be a lot quicker.

As I said before, there is no 'c', but just use 'k' or 's', depending upon the sound.

Also, there is no 'q' - just use 'k' and 'w' together (i.e., 'quick' would be 'kwik').

Also, there is no 'x' - use the 'k' tengwa with an s-hook coming off of it - that gives a 'ks' sound, which is the 'x' sound ('exam' would be 'e' vowel mark over the 'k' tengwa with an s-hook on it, then 'a' over the 'm'). I'll try to post an example for you when I get a chance, but it is also shown in the first link.

Let me know if this was all you needed to know, or if you have more questions

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-30-2002, 12:05 AM   #223
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Ms. Undomial, I don't think you fully understand Tengwar; it's actually rather different from English. It's not just a code; it's a completely different set of writing. What you see on the tables are all the consonants (the ones that aren't there, like x and q, one makes by combining, as RÃ*an said). Then you have the vowels, which you put over the following consonant. So the word "circus", to use RÃ*an's example, would be an "s", then an "r" with the "i" vowel mark over it, then a "k", then another "s" with the "u" vowel mark over it. Confusing? Quite, at first. Once you get the hang of it, it's really quite easy, and very fun. Some common words, such as "the", "of", and "of the" have special symbols that Tolkien devised, as well as certain combinations of letters. No, it's not easy. Nobody ever said it was going to be easy. Stick with it, though. You can do it.

Eärniel, that's a cool link! Not got much time, though, so I shall examine it in all its coolness at greater length tomorrow, methinks. It's got some stuff that the other links haven't got, so we shall learn those. Numbers! Yay! Must learn...will be confused...still must learn...

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-30-2002, 12:38 AM   #224
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

RÃ*an thinks --> Numbers! Yay! Must learn, too ...will be confused...still must learn... *looks at numbers section again* ... must give up, RÃ*an's brain cannot handle this and keep on top of the laundry, too! Have fun, TC

And Ms. U - really, it lots of fun and I absolutely love writing it - if I start to get stressed about something, I start doodling in Tengwar, and it really relaxes me - the characters are so pretty! I hope you keep with it. Let me know how I can help.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-30-2002, 08:43 AM   #225
katya
Elven Maiden

I like the numbers. They are pretty. My friend hasn't really make much progress but she's been busy and she isnt the only one. She did write me a letter, though, without memorizing anything, and although she did miss completely the whole thing with the vowels, it was interesting. You could tell that it was her handwriting, even though it was in Tengar. Lucky me because my hand writing is really bad. Unless I take my time. Which I don't.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:57 PM   #226
Rían

I like how everyone's Tengwar is totally their own style, but we can all read each other's.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:04 PM   #227
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah that is really cool. There is room for individuality.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:07 PM   #228
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

one question- with the numbers, it said to write the letters from right to left, so does that mean you do it with the alphabet too??
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune
Old 10-31-2002, 05:13 PM   #229
katya
Elven Maiden

no non not at all. Just the letters. It has to do with they like to have the least value first. DOn't write your letters backward or you will get confused. I would anyway.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:38 PM   #230
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

I went on google and looked up Tengwar Alphabet and I found these site:

http://science.csustan.edu/JTB/BOOKS...bbit-index.htm

http://www.galadriel.8m.com/alphabet.html

it is pretty good(i think)
let me know what you think.

~*Ms. Undomial*~
I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. - Dune

Last edited by Ms. Undomial : 10-31-2002 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:34 PM   #231
Rían

Well, after a quick look ('cause I need to get off the computer now!) I would say that if you're talking about English mode that the links I gave are better. The second one seems to be part Christopher Tolkien (he makes his 'e' and 'i' marks opposite from his dad) and part Quenya, and the first seems to be not totally accurate, either - JRRT wrote the 'x' as the 'k' with an s-curl, and they are showing 'k' and 's' next to each other. I think there were a few other differences, but I can't remember offhand.

Can you just make your own "ABC" chart from the links that we gave? Or follow your links if you want to, it's up to you, of course! but I think most of us here are using English-mode Tengwar based on the links that I gave a few posts back.

Old 10-31-2002, 07:43 PM   #232
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

ok I will try to my own and then scan it to my computer and show it to you guys. I will post soon!
Old 10-31-2002, 10:10 PM   #233
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Hmm. I, personally, prefer the links that RÃ*an originally posted, because they're in the original chart that JRRT created. Plus, there's a pattern to the way the tengwar are written, which makes it easier to memorize (or so I have found). But then, I'm a complete purist, with a talent for languages and codes Whatever floats your gravy boat. Since the rest of us are using the original chart, which may or may not be slightly different from the links you found, Ms. Undomial, you might find it slightly difficult to understand our posts or vice versa. Just some things to think on.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 11:47 PM   #234
Rían

Yes, that's a good point, TC, that they're in the chart the way JRRT put them. And you're like me - I think a part of the interest is that the bow and stem elements have a reason behind them.

Ms. U - check out my 9/15/2002 post, 2:09 PM - I give a bit of a discussion about the groupings and the reasons behind it. You might be interested - for me, it was fascinating

However, I also agree with TC - whatever floats your boat! And I just love seeing other people's writing, no matter how they memorized it.

Old 11-01-2002, 12:33 AM   #235
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Yea I know... I looked at the ones rian posted and made my alphabet out of those. it turned out better then I expected. i have been writing my sisters letters to try to improve it. well Happy Halloween!! talk to you later!!

~*Ms. Undomial*~
Old 11-01-2002, 01:54 AM   #236
Rían

Great! Share an attachment with us when you can And take a look at some of ours, too, if you want, and see if you can read them.

Old 11-01-2002, 08:19 PM   #237
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

Can you guys suggest a good pen to write tengwar with?? right now I am using Ballpoint and it is ok, but I would like something that looks more real. reply soon!!

~*Ms. Undomial*~
Old 11-01-2002, 08:32 PM   #238
Rían

It kinda depends on my mood, and what I'm writing for (journal entries vs. writing out a pretty line from the book). I do most of my writing w/ ball point pen, 'cause I like the "real" look of it (real in terms of this present world, not ME), and it's usually handy. I think Menelvagor mentioned she used charcoal - I wonder how that looks? Maybe that's what you would like. I bet it looks cool! I have used a smallish chisel-point pen, also, for many of the attachments that I have posted here. The bigger pens look too heavy to me.

Last edited by Rían : 11-01-2002 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:08 AM   #239
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I tend to use whatever I've got in my hand (usually a mechanical pencil), unless I'm doing a piece that I think would look really pretty using my calligraphy pen.

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 11-02-2002, 01:41 PM   #240
katya
Elven Maiden

I pretty much do the same as TC. I use pencil in my diary thingy because I am usually at school when I write in that one and I use a pencil at school. I just found a calligraphy pen that I got in 5th grade and that sounds easier than a real calligraphy set so I'll have to check that out.
Closed Thread