Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2004, 01:14 PM   #221
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

Hate to revieve a long dead thread but I was wondering if anyone had heard of a dog called a Rhodesian Ridgeback? Or do you have one? My partner and I want to buy one and we're wondering what their temperament is like and whether they're suitable for young children? Thankx Mx
Old 04-05-2004, 11:43 AM   #222
Sicirus
Elf Lord

I've heard of them but and have met one. there quite friendly. Usually sight hounds are good pets. Very good pets. Hope he or she turns out fine. Dogs aren't all the same so its really up to the one who sells or gives the dog to you. They ahve to make sure th dog is suitable for certain families. so I hope you he or she is as loveble as you like.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:30 AM   #223
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I've heard of them...

They were hunting dogs used in egypt to take down lions from what I understand.

Some how I just can't see them making very good pets .

My family has a greyhound who's a brindle (he looks like a tiger) and is... I think about six or seven, I'm not really sure. We adopted him when he was about three.

He was retired early from races because he was in a dog-pile up at the racing track (believe it or not, greyhound races are actually fairly dangerous for the dogs involved) and broke his leg.

He doesn't have the long greyhound tail either, his is only about a foot and-a-half long since one day they were loading him and and... well lets just say that people not paying attention+dogs with long tails+slamming doors= short-tailed dogs. He didn't race that day .

But other than that he's the sweetest and cutest little thing ever! Most people say he's pretty big, but I've never thought of him that way . He's all legs, so he can curl himself up into a teeny-tiny ball. He loooooves to whimper and whine when we ignore him. Oh, and if you breath in his face and don't pull back quick enough, he'll lick the inside of your mouth.

I was stupid enough to discover that . He managed to lick the back of my teeth before I could jerk away. I was the only one not very amused by it .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:51 AM   #224
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

My neighbor had a Rhodesian Ridgeback, but it ran away

I have a Whippet, and in case anyone doesn't know they look just like a greyhound only smaller. They are great dogs, very sweet and polite; they act almost regal. Mine's a grey brindle and one of the best dogs we've had. She's extemely fast, though we never raced her. Years ago, she broke her leg and even with a cast on she was faster than anyother dog around. She's getting older now and a little tubby, but I love her to death.

Tessar, mine does they same thing when you blow on her nose, though fortunately I wasn't the one to discover that.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #225
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
I don't know much about dogs, being a cat person, but greyhounds have always appealed to me, especially after I talked to someone involved in a greyhound rescue organization. They had an exhibit set up at a local fair and several dogs were there to prove the point that they are gentle, very friendly dogs that make excellent pets.

The problem I have right now is that greyhounds need a lot of room and I can't offer them that. And the cat would be mightily offended as well! He doesn't like sharing me with other critters. Other cats are marginally tolerated (since there are three others in the house), but if I've been anywhere around a dog he sniffs and sniffs my clothes, all the while giving me dirty looks.

Being a cat person, though, if I got a dog I'd want it to be fairly low maintenance and I'm afraid most dogs aren't that way. (I've yet to see one use a litter box...although I've heard there's some kind of training system out there now...).

I have a friend who is facinated with whippets and would like to get one someday. (He also loves thoroughbred horses and souped up muscle cars, so I guess he just likes things that go fast!!!)

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:43 PM   #226
Sicirus
Elf Lord

LOL Tessar everything you have said has come true with my old greyhound Sandman. I slamed his tail in a slinding glass door once and my mum did it too. Poor dog.
Greyhounds are great pets. If they really love you they follow you around the house like ducklings. Mine was slow too, thus his name Slo-Mo. He is adorable and use to , when excited, whip you with his tail and it hurt very much. he even whipped it around so much that it bled on the walls. Also he loves to stick his head in the fireplace because he thinks there are mashmellows in it waiting for him to eat. he even is scared of going in the kitchen because of balance and long claws. He backs out of the kitchen like a truck out of a tight spot so we make beeping noises as he backs out now. As well greyhounds seem to love car rides. Every time he goes out side now he asumes he is going for a car ride.

i've gotten so use to big dogs that they really aren't that big to me anyore so I wonder why epople say that they are large dogs. plus people tend to think they eat alot because of how big they are but my dog usually eats a a mug and a half of food plus little extras we spoil him with. And he enjoys whinnig like a big baby when we leave.

He loves me....
Old 04-07-2004, 06:18 AM   #227
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Now that I have a scanner, I can show everybody my dog. She's a three year old maltese. She's recovering from an operation at the moment (she had a luxated patella), but she's mending well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuptup.jpg (9.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 09-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #228
Nautipus
Kraken King

I will revive this thread. I will. You cant stop me.
No, you cant.
No
No
Fine.

Anyway, I'm more of a cat person myself, I have two living with me while Im at college, one's tiny and yellow and named Emi, the other's fat, black and crippled and named Peepeye.
Although I like cats, I like keeping saltwater fish better. I had an octopus once...twice...thrice...yeah.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #229
Miss Cassandra
Elven Warrior

My bad.

I have a cut little kitten.... I will put a picture up soon.
She is precious to me.

I have some ducks too. They're very cool little guys.

Last edited by Miss Cassandra : 09-20-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Miss Cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #230
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

I have a slightly deranged Yellow Lab that retrieves very poorly and hates the water BUT she loves to crawl on your lap, put her paws on your shoulders and give you a big ole kiss.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #231
Nautipus
Kraken King

Sounds like a lil' buddy-buddy.
My small yellow cat like to watch me type and play games. She is not right in the head.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 09-21-2007, 12:31 AM   #232
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I'm in the process of getting a ragdoll cat. Hopefully pix soonish once the bugger arrives.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #233
Nautipus
Kraken King

What's a ragdoll cat?

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #234
Miss Cassandra
Elven Warrior

Link

They're quite beautiful. I used to have a purebred Ragdoll named Suzie. She was blind though, always would bump into things. You can usually tell a Rag-pie because of their seal point markings.
I have had all types of cats. My favorite is the Persian, I have one who is just now 5 months old.

She looks like this one.

Last edited by Miss Cassandra : 09-21-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Miss Cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #235
Miss Cassandra
Elven Warrior

Good luck on getting your kitty, BoP! Hope she finds her home well with you. They are a real treat. If you don't mind me asking, what was her asking price?
I know they're not cheap! My mom paid 200$ for Suzie.

I would love to see pics when you get her.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #236
Nautipus
Kraken King

The one picture up top makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, *hugs self*
They, the ragdoll cats in question, kind of remind me of a blue-point, except with long hair. If I could have any cat, excluding the big cats, it would probably be a Maine Coon. They're really neat. But I still like octopi better.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 09-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #237
Miss Cassandra
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus
The one picture up top makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside

!Warning!

They do make you want to cuddle!

They're nice kitties. I don't know If I would like to raise an octopus, I'm not much for sea creatures...
Old 09-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #238
Nautipus
Kraken King

They're really fun. Once they get to know you (and yes they need to get used to your presence) They are really playful. I liked to put a ball in the aquarium with mine, he would grab it and drag it to the bottom, then watch it float back up. Then he fought with a sea urchin because it was carrying the ball around, mistaking it for a peice of debris it could use for camouflage.
Once, when I wasnt paying attention, he grabbed my hand and was playing withit while I was talking to a friend (The octopus, Brutus, was only like a pound at this time) and he jerked me into the water up to the midle of my bicep.
fun fun fun

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 09-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #239
Miss Cassandra
Elven Warrior

Eugh!
Yuck. I dont think I would play with the thing. How big do they get?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #240
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus
They're really fun. Once they get to know you (and yes they need to get used to your presence) They are really playful. I liked to put a ball in the aquarium with mine, he would grab it and drag it to the bottom, then watch it float back up. Then he fought with a sea urchin because it was carrying the ball around, mistaking it for a peice of debris it could use for camouflage.
Once, when I wasnt paying attention, he grabbed my hand and was playing withit while I was talking to a friend (The octopus, Brutus, was only like a pound at this time) and he jerked me into the water up to the midle of my bicep.
fun fun fun
That is so cool. Now I want an octopus! Are they expensive, with the saltwater tank and everything?

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote