Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #221
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Yes, yes YES! You got it, it is indeed Schiele. Arien, you feel like giving us one to guess? I eagerly await your contribution!
yea!!!! I got one! I KNEW that fine art degree would pay off! lol

ok...give me just a little bit...I'll come up with a good one!
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #222
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

ok...here
wait sorry....let me get my stuff together before I post this

Last edited by Arien the Maia : 02-18-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #223
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

here! *sigh* finally!

Last edited by Arien the Maia : 02-18-2006 at 11:08 PM. Reason: forgot words!
Old 02-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #224
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Arien, I wonder if you'd like to give us another work to ponder, by the same artist; is that possible? It's difficult to see the tiny piccy - the only thing that comes to my mind is David Hockney, but then again I'm not so sure...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #225
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I'm thinking it looks like Ashcan School... maybe Ben Shahn? or is it Social Realism, or American Scene painting?

Last edited by Hasty Ent : 02-21-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #226
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

It's got me doing research, that's for sure. Tough one, Arien! I'm trying to figure it out by studying the style in which the figures (no pun intended ) are depicted, and plus that looks like the top floor landing of a Los Angeles style apartment building, circa 1930's. Like the kind of apartments in Hollywood that Charles Bukowski used to stay at, but with more exagerrated colours. Hmmm. I'm flummoxed.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #227
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

wow, I thought it looked like the NYC subway.... *goes to check again*
Old 02-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #228
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

here's another pic
Old 02-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #229
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

that's by the same artist? I would never have guessed Mark Rothko.... *jaw drops*
Old 02-21-2006, 10:37 PM   #230
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

You're kidding; it was a Rothko? I NEVER would have guessed that, either. Is that like an early work of his, or something? That was a good toughie, Arien!

Hasty Ent, it's your turn now, yes?

Old 02-22-2006, 05:15 AM   #231
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Wow, how different can you get??

It's something that's always bothered me a bit about art: in that artists seem to be forced to work in one, recognisable style. I remember my sister, who went to art college, being nipped by that: she wanted to try lots of different styles but she kept getting marked down because she hadn't developed her own style.

I suspect this is just for the critics' benefit so that they can tell who the artist is more easily!
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #232
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Lotesse, I won't post another until Arien has confirmed that the two pics are indeed by Rothko. I'm not convinced. *squints*

And Gaffer? Artists aren't forced to work in any particular style, however, if s/he bops all over the place it's unlikely s/he will be taken seriously. This isn't for the benefit of critics, but it indicates a level of exploration beyond dabbling. Someone like Picasso, for instance, certainly moved from one form to another, but only after that vocabulary had been thoroughly explored. Occasionally you'll have dramatic shifts in an artist's oeuvre that aren't immediately embraced (Phil Guston comes to mind), but over time are accepted. But this is only after a significant body of work is produced.
[/disgruntled arts professional ends lecture]
Old 02-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #233
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasty Ent
Lotesse, I won't post another until Arien has confirmed that the two pics are indeed by Rothko. I'm not convinced. *squints*

And Gaffer? Artists aren't forced to work in any particular style, however, if s/he bops all over the place it's unlikely s/he will be taken seriously. This isn't for the benefit of critics, but it indicates a level of exploration beyond dabbling. Someone like Picasso, for instance, certainly moved from one form to another, but only after that vocabulary had been thoroughly explored. Occasionally you'll have dramatic shifts in an artist's oeuvre that aren't immediately embraced (Phil Guston comes to mind), but over time are accepted. But this is only after a significant body of work is produced.
[/disgruntled arts professional ends lecture]
yes, they are both by Rothko Your turn
Old 02-23-2006, 12:58 AM   #234
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I'm going to have to pass this round. Having some computer trouble so I may be offline for a few days. Why don't you post another, Arien? I don't think Lotesse or Gaffer would mind.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #235
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Not at all! Please do, Arien! I'm dying to see what new work you give us to think about. That Rothko was a doozy; I love the challenging stuff because it gets me and my mind back into what I love so much.

Hey, speaking of Rothko, Arien, do you happen to know what that picture is depicting, and/or what inspired him for that work there? I've got to know what it was; it's killin' me. Was it the New York subway, like Hasty Ent was saying or a 30's Hollywood apartment like I thought, or - what was that depicting? Gottaknowgottaknow.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #236
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

I found this describing this particular painting on the website where I got the pics...its the National Gallery of ARt in D.C. He painted this early in his career.

here

"Rothko's street scenes and subway pictures of the 1930s have been compared to examples of Ashcan School and Depression-era realist painting, but this resemblance is likely based on the perception of a shared urban motif. Rather than providing a "realistic" portrayal of the city life, Rothko seems far more interested in conveying the perceptual experience of architectural space, using abstract compositional arrangements to explore the relationship between the painting and its viewer, an element that would play a critical role in the artist's later works."
Old 02-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #237
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

ok, here's one I find interesting

Old 02-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #238
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

here's another
Old 02-25-2006, 11:19 PM   #239
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Arien, I briefly ran across this artist in one of my Modern Art History classes, ages ago, but I don't think I could ever recall the name.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #240
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Duane Hanson was an American sculptor, died in 1996 (although Wiki states 1995? )

Here's his obit: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...11/ai_n9634766

He was an interesting artist, but I'm not a huge fan of his work. Viewing it, after the initial shock wears off, I'm left with very little. In fact, some of his pieces have a condescending attitude (look! fat and ugly American tourists! aren't they funny! aren't they charming and cute!) I find troubling. Still, he was an important influence on many artists I adore, including Robert Gober and Kiki Smith. Nice choice, Arien.