Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 08:08 PM   #221
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
You're the victim? Right.

I've taken debate, and though I'm by no means good at it, I do recognize some tactics you've been using. Mainly, twisting words to your advantage and misdirection (ie, leading the thread off topic with your little parody...but wait, haven't you berated others for what you think is 'going off topic'? Hmm...). Sadly, you aren't very good at it, because it hasn't poked any holes in the opposing sides points. In most cases, it actually damages your own case!

Also, you have constantly stated that this is not a 'film vs. book' thread, but what else could it be? There is no way you could compare the two men without it involving the book and the film. PJ made a movie, he did not write a book. Tolkien wrote a book, he did not make a film.

Oh, I see! You're trying to tell us that PJ improved Tolkien the man? Hmm, I'd like to see where you get this idea. I haven't heard about the Professor raising from the dead and asking PJ to teach him. </sarcasm>

Last edited by Starr Polish : 10-16-2002 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:57 PM   #222
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, the one who started the whole thread has shown again and again he is utterly incapable of reasoned argument without resort to ad hominem, then has the unmitigated audacity to cry foul when fire is returned.

How droll.

However, there IS a bright spot on this thread, and that would be the postings of my fellow VETERAN Mooters which "shine out like a shaft of gold, when all else is dark." Can you guys ever put a snot-nosed move-hypnotized brat in his place again and again. Bravo, brava, encore!

We have given this inconsequential pultroon opportunity galore to prove he could back up his original premise, "Jackson Improved Tolkien," and yet he has refused outright to engage on the field of intellectual battle. Not only has he failed to prove his premise, he has also refused to stand by it. If one will make a brash statement like "Jackson Improved Tolkien" on a board "Dedicated To the Works of Tolkien" one had better at least have the strength of character and conviction to weather the storm of criticism and stand by that assertion to the end.

In contrast, our illustrious, maladroit worshipper at the Altar of the Silver Screen whines that he is being victimized, that now this is not some book v. movie topic, that he simply throws tangential observations (extended release DVD) or facile, simpering, mind-numbingly predictable and unimaginative slashes at satire such as his little diatribes on BoP, meself and Luthien Tinuviel (two ladies with whom I may not always agree but I do respect the fact they can back up their arguments) in lieu of honing his debating skills and exercising his grey matter.

No. It is a wonderful film, but it in no way improves Tolkien. I will again revive the analogy to the Bible and "The Ten Commandments" or "The Greatest Story Ever Told," which remain as some folks' sole exposure to that most important work, and yet which fail to adaquately reflect the original source material.

However, considering the modus operandum of the thread starter, I am reminded of ANOTHER film. "The Jerk."
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:16 PM   #223
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by beardofpants
It is only so long that you can piss in the wind before it comes back at you.
I gotta admit it, I hang out here for those wonderful gems of wisdom we get from posters like bropous and beardofpants.

You guys rocks!!!!
Old 10-16-2002, 10:22 PM   #224
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Typical screenplay adaptation. He cut out Bropous' part completely.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 10-17-2002, 08:32 AM   #225
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Yep. Call me PJ Jr. I cut out that unnecessary bro-Tom Bombadil-pous and expanded the post space for xenaboardofpants!
Old 10-17-2002, 12:12 PM   #226
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Can I eat his brain now? Anyone else object?

No?

*munch munch gobble*

eeeww. It's all sour and bitter. And filled with images of Peter Jackson in drag.

I think I'm going to be ill.

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 10-17-2002, 12:51 PM   #227
Cirdan

Well, at least it's not very filling.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 10-17-2002, 02:25 PM   #228
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

The Scene: We see your typical grade school classroom except for a large poster of Peter Jackson's face taped to the chalk board at the front of the room. A group of students are sitting impatiently at their desks when the professor suddenly walks in. He is wearing a black ringwraith robe and hood. Most of the kids snap to attention as their professor enters.

Professor BB: Okay class, it’s time for another lesson on why Peter Jackson improved upon Master Tolkien’s wonderful trilogy. Now pay attention class!

{Professor BB raps his lecture stick on little Cirdan’s desk startling the poor chap out of his daydreams.)

Professor BB: (glaring at the embarrassed Cirdan) Now what was I saying?

Cirdan: (blushing) uh…I dunno, Sir.

Blackheart: I know, I know…You were talking about Peter Jackson being in drag!

(Snickers and giggles are heard from the purist section of the classroom.)

Professor BB: (ignoring Blackheart's juvenile remark) Today we will talk about how Peter Jackson improved Tolkien by NOT including Tom Bombadil in his movie.

(A stunned silence fills the classroom)

BB: While there are fringe elements out there who were actually upset that Bombadil wasn’t in the movie, his disappearance was actually a GOOD thing. As most Tolkien scholars know, JRR included Bombadil in the story early on when he still viewed LOTR as a sequel to his children’s tale, The Hobbit. Once the story took on a more adult and darker tone, he should have eliminated him. But he kept Tom in the story for personal reasons (Tom was, in fact, his son, Michael’s, favorite doll). Paraphrasing what Boromir said to Aragorn, Peter Jackson was able to do what JRR Tolkien could not --- resist the temptation to KEEP the misplaced Bombadil in the story.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:42 PM   #229
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Pfffft.

Tom was the enigma. Tom was the one who gave Merry his 'magic' blade which enabled him to break the spells of the nazgul king. Tom was the one who saved them from the barrow-wights - servants of the nazgul. And not only that, but he allowed the hobbits a chance to rest before going on to face the crap that they had to. A pretty important role if you ask me. But you're not are you? You're just here to stir up the wasps nest.

I ask again: WHERE ARE YOUR ARGUMENTS? I want to actually see some debate, regarding your premise that PJ improved Tolkien.

You have been consistently shot down by many of the people here because of your rather blinkered statements, but this is still no excuse for falling back on childish parodies.

Tell me, how does it feel to be covered in piss?

Last edited by BeardofPants : 10-17-2002 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:45 PM   #230
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Oh and here's my rebuttal.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:49 PM   #231
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Oh and here's my rebuttal.
hahahahahaha..........wondered when you'd find a use for that

Looks like I've been missing a bloody good argument here
Old 10-17-2002, 02:52 PM   #232
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Tell me, how does it feel to be covered in piss?
young lady i am shocked and you seemed like such a nice girl your poor mother if she knew you said things like that
Old 10-17-2002, 02:57 PM   #233
Cirdan

BoP, you may as well debate a steaming pile of... oh, and why is Strider walking around with a bundle of swords; pretty silly for a guy who walks everywhere. But then, as BB posted, PJ and his writer admitted to having difficulty in adapting a complex and multi-dimensional story into the standard hollywood action flick format, but somehow they managed.

BB in professor robes hehe... I imagined Depends...

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 10-17-2002, 03:14 PM   #234
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Will our beloved BB survive this evil onslaught???
let's hope not.

oh and if you think that you know so much about what Tolkien should have done to make HIS story better, then why don't you write your own?

and if being a purist makes me sit at the opposite end of the spectrum as you, then woohoo, im a purist. what are you going to do about it? (edited: your right BoP!)

oh, and NEVER EVER call me an Orc or any Creature like them, im not joking when i say i truly dislike you now. i spit on the clingy shreds of decency that i thought you still had.

when i signed up here i decided against using the ignore feature, but people like you make me second guess that decision

Last edited by LuthienTinuviel : 10-17-2002 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:21 PM   #235
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by osszie
hahahahahaha..........wondered when you'd find a use for that
Didn't quite have the heart to pull it out on another certain individual.

Quote:
Osszie:

Looks like I've been missing a bloody good argument here
Well, that depends......... Did you wanna be covered with guano?

Quote:
Cirdan
BB in professor robes hehe... I imagined Depends...
Mummy wow! I'm a big kid now!

Quote:
Sween:
.........and you seemed like such a nice girl your poor mother if she knew you said things like that
I'm still a good girl.

Quote:
LT:
what are you going to do about it? parody me to death?
Don't encourage him. He's probably some school kid who gets his jollies out of pissing of Tolkien fans.

Quote:
LT:
i decided against using the ignore feature, but people like you make me second guess that decision
It's not too late. I've already got an individual on ignore.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:13 PM   #236
Sween
im quite stupid

Who?
Old 10-17-2002, 05:22 PM   #237
osszie
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Didn't quite have the heart to pull it out on another certain individual.
It's not too late. I've already got an individual on ignore.
I can see your point, no reason to state the obvious to him/her/it

You've got someone on ignore?............I don't believe it
Old 10-17-2002, 08:03 PM   #238
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

A few good Blackadder quotes which might fit the moment:

"...thick as a whale omelette...."

"...you twist and turn like a twisty, turny thing....and you can call me Susan if it isn't so!"

Stephen Frey as the Duke of Wellington...

"...Baldric, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?"

"I'd rather be a lapdog to a mere slip of a girl than a......GIT!"

".....Of course! The slimy one! What's his name.....Osmond?"

"...YUP, THAT'S THE WAY....SHOUT, SHOUT, AND SHOUT AGAIN!..."

However, this whole thread is really degenerating. I have not seen one adequate attempt at defense of the original premise in now 12 pages of soliloquies. I have seen EXCELLENT refutations, though, and I would say that on points, we are WAY ahead on goals.

Blather on, mindless shmoo. You ain't made sense YET.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:09 PM   #239
osszie
Elven Warrior

Anyone who quotes Blackadder cannot be wrong
Old 10-18-2002, 10:47 AM   #240
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

This debate is interesting in its pointless rebuttles. It does bring up an interesting point-PJ obviously read the book a certain way. He projected this interpertation of middle earth onto screen. I think it's wrong largely because it shortchanges Aragorn, doesn't delve into Frodo's psychological turmoil, and only lightly skims over the big picture-The story is the last, the end of the mythology, and this tragedy suffuses the book. There is no tragedy in the movie. Tolkien's notes can encompass several dozen Lord of the Rings, and its such depth that makes the books so powerful-they "are" part of something bigger. Their world is not a backdrop as in the movie, but the point.

A movie in relation to literature can do several things-it can reinterpert it, that's what I believe was done. I think it is more then an action flick, though action does dominate. Movies can enhance appeal of a work-and certainly it did so. Movies that "improve" literature usually means that the movie strayed from the book to create something totally new, or that the book was flawed in someway that only in visual representation could the true theme come through.