Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2001, 08:32 AM   #221
Roland

Another answer...

Ulrog cringed and stared back at Harnauro. He had no doubt that the wolf-man would kill him without a moment's thought. Ulrog then did something he very rarely did. He told the whole truth.
"I don't know!", he shrieked, "the master is very secretive. What I know I am not supposed to! I know he has allies amoung men. Not the tarks. I don't think he wants them. But he does have agents and spies in many places. Where and how many I don't know. I swear that's the truth."
Old 03-20-2001, 05:56 PM   #222
Mathron

Re: Another answer...

Harnauro sighed in disgust. "Well then, if you can tell us nothing about your master's allies, then tell us about him - this Vardor, I assume. Who is he, and what are his goals?"
Old 03-21-2001, 08:05 AM   #223
Roland

Some more answers.

Ulrog glanced up at the menacing figure of Harnuaro, and then spoke.
"I don't know exactly what he is trying to do. He is searching for something, although what is unclear. He goes to great measures to spy on people. I am only one of many spies. You lot must be important to him in some way, beacuse he has steadily increased his efforts to kill you.
"When he needed me to report, all I had to do was visit the spot he told me to and he would appear. He has always had orcs as his slaves. We have little choice in the matter.
"Exactly what he is, I don't know, but his scent is not that of a man. I noticed the same scent around you when I was first captured. He is very powerful and is not afraid to show it", at this Ulrog shuddered. He still remembered the pain of his first failure.
Old 03-22-2001, 04:39 AM   #224
Mathron

Re: Some more answers.

Harnauro frowned at learning this Vardor was more than a man, though it did not surprise him. It seemed that a time of trouble was coming about, and many powerful beings stirring. He turned to Slythre, and said, "Any questions you have for him?"

*This will be my last post for about 4 days or so, so you can have thing proceed a bit without me - Harnauro will just tag along where ever the group goes.*
Old 03-22-2001, 06:25 AM   #225
Lief Erikson

Facts had, and questions still to be answered.

She shook her head slightly. "No, I guess not. It wouldn't be logical for this Vardor to allow spies like this one to possess very important information." She frowned slightly. "What he already has surprises me. But we will have to find a way to make use of it. At least we know a few things now. Vardor is making an alliance with these eagle people. He is apparently obsessed with capturing Dania. Killing us is also something that he would have done, although I can't help but feel that we're only an afterthought. He really wants Dania." Slythre sighed loudly and slammed her fist against the rock in frustration. "I just can't see how any of this can possibly fit together!"

*I don't know if it can proceed very well without you, unless I'm doing a solo performance. Roland is the only other person playing, and he's being a minor character.*
Old 03-25-2001, 12:23 AM   #226
Elbreth of Carhouth

Re: Facts had, and questions still to be answered.

*Do you want to give me an easy spot to pick up? I can guide things from the opposite end. Although I don't post often, I'm still around. More of a lurker these days. *
Old 03-26-2001, 07:19 AM   #227
Lief Erikson

*You still have Dania and Narsh to use. They are in the cliff dwellings of the eagle people, at this point. You may join in at any time, and it's good to see that you're still here. I thought you'd given up on this RPG, along with Morkhon and Xivigg. If Xivigg is really gone (Nobody is being very clear to me on how connected they are to this game except for Mathron, Roland and Morkhon).*
Old 03-27-2001, 03:59 AM   #228
Mathron

A Watcher

As the B'rak continued towards its goal, which it would have reached days ago had it not been forced to trak across land due to its burden, it was watched.
It crawled across the ground, trundling trees aside with its might, and slowly moved through the forest it was in. The only things it disturbed were the animals of the woods, and a few of the monstrous spiders that plagued the place, but it had not yet reached any lands under the rule of civilized folk.
Nevertheless, as it passed, eyes gazed out at it from the darkness of trees, paying attention both to it, and to the unmoving body upon its back.
Old 03-27-2001, 04:02 AM   #229
Mathron

*OK, I am back!*

Harnauro nodded in agreement at Slythre's outburst, and then looked at the orc. He shrugged, and said, "Let us keep onto this one for some time. It may have further purpose for us, and I doubt it will live long among these folks. Let us gather the others, and plan where to go from here."
Old 03-27-2001, 03:17 PM   #230
Lief Erikson

Slythre wordlessly nodded her agreement and stepped out of the flap.

Morning light was already lighting up the rock hallway. She tapped lightly on the rock wall beside the other of the men's flap doorway. "We'll be meeting in the lower hallway in five minutes to plan out our next move. See that you make it."

They came out in a few seconds, not having anything to pack that wasn't already on their backs.

"Perhaps we can forgoe the five minutes," Faradin said with a bland smile.

As the women came out in the same record breaking time, Slythre saw no point in refusing.
Old 03-27-2001, 07:22 PM   #231
Mathron

Harnauro walked down the stone stairway, and turned about once reaching the lower hall, to await the others. He had not long to wait, and soon the rest arrived, gathering about with varying looks upon their faces.

"I see a few options before us," said Harnauro, breaking the silence. "We still know not where Mal has gone to, and if he met with this Vardor, I fear his meeting may have gone ill. I suggest we continue onward, up the river, towards the elven kingdom and mirkwood beyond, and who knows how far. In any case, I recommend putting as much distance between this Vardor and ourselves as we can."
Old 03-27-2001, 08:04 PM   #232
Lief Erikson

"We thought we'd put Vardor well behind us when we came here," Ayna said. "And yet they pursued us with impossible speed, catching up with us on the first night. If they can chase us in such a fashion, how can we possibly merely put distance between us? As a matter of a fact, here is a far more protected place then out in the open, and they'll come for us there. We can be sure of it.

"What I suggest is that we go to Rivendell, or perhaps Lothlorien or Isengard. One of the places which still holds the wise and powerful, and who can advise us. They probably will know far more about this Vardor than we do, and will be able at least protect Dania and the rest of us for a time."

"Perhaps . . ." Slythre hesitated. "Never mind," she said with a slight sigh. "I think we should find out what has happened to Mal, the leader in this endeavor. If we could manage to get him back with us, we would have a much better chance of uncovering what has happened."

"So instead of taking Dania to safety, you would have us leap directly into the center of danger," Ayna said angrily. "We know that she is threatened, and while she is, all of us are."

"If we are to survive, we must no what we are up against." But Slythre looked a little bit surprised at the vehemence with which Ayna spoke. "It is the only way we can know how to avoid it. I believe Mal is in danger. He wouldn't leave us for so long without a very good reason. You said yourself that when someone digs deeply enough into this, they put themselves on the enemy's hit list. And that person rarely maintains his life after that."

"Throwing ourselves . . ."

"Are you so afraid for your life?"

Ayna sighed in frustration.
Old 03-27-2001, 08:10 PM   #233
Mathron

Harnauro watched the others debate, and finally spoke softly, "The problem with going back in search of Mal is that he may arguably be the most powerful of us. And, for all our talents, he left us without notice of where he went - if he covered his tracks to start out, we would have a hard time following them. Continuing north gives us a number of options - the river winds up towards Lothlorien, so perhaps he intends to meet us there. It would not be my favorite place - nor his - but strange times make strange allies, it is said."
Old 03-27-2001, 10:36 PM   #234
Lief Erikson

Debate over . . . destination?

"Are you sure you've gotten everything you can out of that orc?" Gungar asked.

Slythre looked at Harnauro and shrugged. "Pretty sure, yes. We don't have the time to go through a drawn out questioning, in which we'd collect every s**** he knew and didn't know . . ."

Ayna involuntarily shuddered.

". . . but we are pretty sure that Vardor is smart enough to not give his spies much news of what is going on. We've hit a bit of a wall on that end." She glanced over at Harnauro. "That's why we have to decide what to do now. We've followed up on every lead we have, so now we simply have to make a decision."

"A guess, more like," Ayna muttered.

Slythre looked at her coldly. "You have something to add?"

Elrov sighed loudly. "Will you two please stop squabbling? We are about to make an important decision, not fight like children amongst ourselves.

"Harnauro knows Mal better than any of the rest of us, and he knows how easy it would be to track him down at the same time as avoiding enemy soldiers. By his information, it is pretty much impossible. We don't have the time, and I doubt we could hold off our enemies long enough for us to find him, even if he wants to be found, which I doubt."

Harnauro nodded silently.

"Therefore I think that our best choice is probably to go to one of those safe havens and get either assistance or information. I expect they can give us both, there. Who knows, perhaps what we learn there will help us find out where Mal is as well?"

Gungar's snort showed plainly what he thought of the odds of that happening were.

"Regardless of whether we do or not," Elrov continued, ignoring the dwarf, "It will be a launch point from which we can proceed to whatever we do next."

He struck the center of the map which was spread out on the table with his finger. "So, shall it be Lothlorien?"

A flicker of understanding passed between his and Ayna's face, and was gone the same instant, so quick it might have been imagined. But the grateful look that showed on Ayna's face afterwards was not imagination.

Harnauro smiled to himself. Now here was a woman who did not know how to hide her emotions.
Old 03-28-2001, 04:29 AM   #235
Elbreth of Carhouth

Re: Debate over . . . destination?

*Am I with you guys? And now Mal is missing? Or are we still separated? My posts will be few, I've gotten to busy to be around much, but I've not given up. *
Old 03-28-2001, 04:54 AM   #236
Mathron

*You are with us, and it is basically everyone *except* Mal, who is still being carted through the wilderness by a rather large and slow-moving (while landbound) monstrosity. And a few posts are better than none, so welcome back!*
Old 03-28-2001, 04:56 AM   #237
Mathron

Harnauro looked about, and it seemed they were decided. Without further discussion, he walked out of the room, searching for Arnon.

He found the man, walking the hallways, and as he approached he heard the rest of his own party catching up to him. Arnon looked over the group, and then, turning to Harnauro, said, "What do you wish?"

"We believe it is time for us to leave. If you can directed us towards the nearest way out, and the quickest way north..." Harnauro let his words trail off into the air, crossing his arms and awaiting a response.
Old 03-28-2001, 04:08 PM   #238
Lief Erikson

*Why is it one of them crosses there arms whenever they talk?(Brief smile)*

"Certainly," Arnon said, and there seemed to be a note of relief in his voice. "We can provide you each and eagle to hasten your flight in whichever way you intend to go. When they see fit they will set you down and return here. Don't count on their assistance for more than a day, but I think one will be sufficient."

Harnauro bowed his head. "Most generous."

Arnon cocked his head for a moment and just looked at Harnauro. "You are not weakhu'ne like the others, as I have found out quite plainly over the time you are here. You are skilled as a warrior and a guide, and they have chosen well in your leadership. Or companionship, if you will."

The praise seemed strange coming out of Arnon's mouth, and took a moment to digest.

"Strength and honor be with you and your friends," Arnon said, clasping his arm to his chest in what seemed to be a symbolic salute. "Return to us again when all is ended, we have smaon."

He then turned and walked out of the cave, never glancing back. Just outside of the cave, Harnauro noticed a small group of eagles gathering outside on the rocky ledge.

Slythre appeared beside his arm. "What was that about?" she asked.
Old 03-28-2001, 07:29 PM   #239
Mathron

Harnauro glanced at Slythre, "It appears our we shall have some helpful accomodations for a stage of our journey," gesturing towards the eagles.

Slythre nodded, but still wondered what else Arnon had said as Harnauro headed towards the eagles, the rest close behind him.

They mounted upon the eagles, and Faradin directed the eagles as to their path with only a few words. They would go to the north, as far as the eagles could take them - and from there, find their own way.

With a flap of wings, and rush of air, the eagles soared off, the companions upon their backs. Harnauro glanced backwards towards the cliffs, glimpsing a few dwellers watching them. Perhaps he would return, one day. Perhaps.

Soon, all thoughts were washed away in the beat of the wind upon their backs, and all sounds lost to the whistling of the air about them. The land fell away beneath them, and rushed by at a tremendous pace, as the continued into the north.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:04 PM   #240
Lief Erikson

Hmmm. Did I do right?

Vardor watched them go with a mixture of feelings. Relief, anger, and regret were only a few of the thoughts which filled his twisted mind. A great opportunity was lost, yet at least he had gotten them out of the most touchy of his weak points. Raw, and open to a deep probing. All could have been uncovered. On the other hand, all could have been ended right then and there as well, for the better.

The key fitting into the lock. An eternity of darkness opened.

All could indeed have been drawn to a point, and only things beyond his control had managed to give him back his breathing space.