Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-01-2006, 03:33 AM   #221
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Pedophilia is not an orientation because sexual orientation has to do with gender (yours and the people you're attracted to) and not age.

Group marriage, polygamy, and polygyny also are also not orientations, even though I don't have a problem with them, unlike pedophilia.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #222
inked
Elf Lord

Ahhhh, reverse discrimination is NOT good, GLBT'S!!!!!!

GAY BARS GIVEN A STRAIGHT ULTIMATUM (really, that's the title)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...058989,00.html

Interesting how the law is a two-edged sword, isn't it?
===============================================

On the other hand, getting the government to pay for homosexuality education isn't going down to well in NC:

http://www.carolinajournal.com/artic...y.html?id=3079

and, commentary: http://southern-orthodoxy.blogspot.c...nky-winky.html

The latter is worth a look for logo for the Governor's Seminar. Does it or does it not spell GAY?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 03-01-2006 at 10:45 AM.
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #223
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Desires that come from genes are not going to change due to any program, yet since change in desire is apparent, so desire does not come from genes.

Well of course desire comes from genes. Where else would it come from? We are all programmed to desire. It helps keep the numbers up. Now WHO you desire may be effected by a wide variety of factors SOME of which are certainly genetic. But just because something may have a basis in our genes doesnt mean its impossible to restrict it or deny it. We do that every day with other urges and instincts.

Furthermore, even if you outright reject any notion that there is a genetic factor involved in homosexuality, we do know that IMPRINTING plays a specific roll in who we are attracted to. And imprinting is a process that hardwires a trait or a disposition into us such that it may as well be genetic. It has been shown to be as hard to reverse and ignore as any genetic predisposition would be. So the notion that as long as theres not some gay gene then things can easily be changed is erroneous.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #224
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for a great response, Jonathon . I'm afraid I'm going onto break from this thread for a while, so I won't have much more to offer until I return.
Thank you for your response! Enjoy your break

Just some quick replies:
Quote:
Studies, unless demonstrated to be invalid or insufficient for some reason, are a valid form of evidence.
Maybe there's only a small difference in nuance but I'd rather say studies, unless demonstrated to be valid and sufficient, should not be considered proof. Do you agree?

Quote:
Though there are often noticeable trends in family lifestyles that exist in the vast majority of homosexuals, according to Exodus International. Abuse and poor relationships with parents are common among homosexuals.
Trends in families? Sounds like it could be a genetic thing then Anyway, one could ask oneself whether homosexuality is a result of poor relationships with parents or if the poor relationships are due to the offspring's homosexuality.

Quote:
The nonexistant average bisexual person would be evenly inclined toward both genders, not toward neither, I should think.
I agree that it doesn't seem unlikely. However, as I stated earlier, it would sometimes be hard to define who is bisexual and who is not. If a married man (married to a woman) with kids turned out to be latently homosexual, would he qualify as a bisexual? Because evidently, his wife must have successfully made him excited at some point since they have kids (unless there was adoption or insemination involved).
What I'm trying to say is that heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality are nothing but words made up by humans to simplify things. Sexual orientations may be too difuse to be so easily classified.
Just think that's good to have in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Ahhhh, reverse discrimination is NOT good, GLBT'S!!!!!!

GAY BARS GIVEN A STRAIGHT ULTIMATUM (really, that's the title)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...058989,00.html

Interesting how the law is a two-edged sword, isn't it?
To me, it's a matter of course that gay bars should be opened to people of any sexual orientation, just like ordinary bars should be. But how many heteros would go to a gay bar anyway?

Inked, did you have a point in bringing this up or was it just one of your regular articles? It's not like being "pro-gay" automatically makes you like the idea of "reverse discrimination".
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 03-01-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:12 PM   #225
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Maybe there's only a small difference in nuance but I'd rather say studies, unless demonstrated to be valid and sufficient, should not be considered proof. Do you agree?
Decidedly yes.
Quote:
Trends in families? Sounds like it could be a genetic thing then Anyway, one could ask oneself whether homosexuality is a result of poor relationships with parents or if the poor relationships are due to the offspring's homosexuality.
A point Lady Marion brought up earlier. I responded to her.
Quote:
I agree that it doesn't seem unlikely. However, as I stated earlier, it would sometimes be hard to define who is bisexual and who is not. If a married man (married to a woman) with kids turned out to be latently homosexual, would he qualify as a bisexual? Because evidently, his wife must have successfully made him excited at some point since they have kids (unless there was adoption or insemination involved).
What I'm trying to say is that heterosexuality, homosexuality and bisexuality are nothing but words made up by humans to simplify things. Sexual orientations may be too difuse to be so easily classified.
That makes sense to me. I'll have to do research before saying I agree, though.

I'm going now . Wizard of Milan and IR, sorry for not getting back to you now.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #226
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Trends in families? Sounds like it could be a genetic thing then
I believe he means that among homosexuals, those things are found to be present in a higher percentage that in the general population.

Your point after that is a good one, though, IMO.

SO - any comments on the Exodus conference, where both sides really were kind and considerate to each other and therefore able to communicate? I think it was great.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:41 AM   #227
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I would totally go to a gay bar.
How could you even tell if someone was straight to ban them anyway? Or what if a bisexual guy was there with his girlfriend? Would bisexuals be banned too?
I'm glad discrimination based on sexual orientation, in all forms, is legislated against.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Quote:
Desires that come from genes are not going to change due to any program, yet since change in desire is apparent, so desire does not come from genes.
Well of course desire comes from genes. Where else would it come from? We are all programmed to desire. It helps keep the numbers up. Now WHO you desire may be effected by a wide variety of factors SOME of which are certainly genetic. But just because something may have a basis in our genes doesnt mean its impossible to restrict it or deny it. We do that every day with other urges and instincts.

Furthermore, even if you outright reject any notion that there is a genetic factor involved in homosexuality, we do know that IMPRINTING plays a specific roll in who we are attracted to. And imprinting is a process that hardwires a trait or a disposition into us such that it may as well be genetic. It has been shown to be as hard to reverse and ignore as any genetic predisposition would be. So the notion that as long as theres not some gay gene then things can easily be changed is erroneous.
I'm not really sure what makes a person gay, but the point is you can't change that part of yourself. There's a lot we don't know about the human brain, but I don't really care what makes people gay. Your sexuality is a part of you, and it is alright.

You can change who you date or marry, but you can't actually change your sexuality.

I could start dating women, and I could even marry a women. But that wouldn't make me a lesbian. I would still be heterosexual no matter what I did.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #228
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

This thread went to a gay bar, so it didn't update with my previous post.
Quote:
Old 03-02-2006, 06:03 PM   #229
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

the gay bar thing (denying people who "look" like hets) reminds me of something I heard when watching some Mardi Gras coverage. The reporter was talking about a club there that was for African American men. Just made me sad that if there was a club for Caucasian men, I imagine it would get picketed and there would be all sorts of outcry against it. This world is sad.

(and yes, I understand why the double standard is there, but it still makes me sad)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 03-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #230
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

According to the article, some clubs would ask people questions about the local gay scene if they thought they were het, and if they couldn't answer the questions with a certain about of knowledge, then they'd be denied entry. To that I say, eh what?

I totally agree with you Ri.

I don't like reverse-discrimination either Jon. Actually, I don't think anyone has expressed that they do like it in this thread.

It's still discrimination and fortifies an "us versus them" attitude.
Quote:
Old 03-03-2006, 01:42 AM   #231
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:

Inked, did you have a point in bringing this up or was it just one of your regular articles? It's not like being "pro-gay" automatically makes you like the idea of "reverse discrimination".
Yes, Inked; what exactly WAS your point bringing up this article? So, reverse discrimination exists. It exists on many different levels, there's blacks-only, whites-only, punks-only, bikers-only, and etcetera kinds of bars and clubs, just in Hollywood alone. And?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #232
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Just made me sad that if there was a club for Caucasian men, I imagine it would get picketed and there would be all sorts of outcry against it.
Why in the world would that make you sad?

Old 03-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #233
Rían

because African-American men can have an exclusive club and it is "celebrated", and Caucasian men can't, without IMO an extremely high likelihood of it being villified.

Don't you think that's wrong?

(And yes, I recognize the background behind why one is celebrated and one isn't - what I think is sad is that the background even existed and thus causes double standards. )

Old 03-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #234
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Wait... where is it legal to have a single race only public establishment in this country?

Old 03-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #235
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I have no idea, but whether or not it's legal really doesn't make a difference. It's not like a club posts a large sign out front that says White Punk Skinheads Only, or African American Blacks Only, or Crips Only, or Bloods Only, for that matter , or Gays Only, or White-Collar Perfectly Dressed Beverly Hiltonites Only, but hey - guess what? Such places are in abundance all over town. So? Big deal. If certain groups want their own kind only around them, then great. It's when the Beverly Hiltonite suddenly wants to go to a Crips Only bar, or a Skinhead suddenly gets and urge to pop into a Israeli themed bar, or - you get the idea - that then there's problems. That's life.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #236
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Skinhead suddenly gets and urge to pop into a Israeli themed bar
Hah, what fun that would be to watch. I'd pay for tickets!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #237
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well as long as we are clear its not currently legal in this country to have a whites ONLY or blacks ONLY bar. Now what some clubs will do is discriminate based on clothing which is generally upheld in a court of law. This is generally used to keep out the scrubs and the low lifes to the snotty bling bling clubs that everyone wants to be seen at (for some reason) and there is no real breakdown by race (if you are good looking and can bring in chicks you can come in). But in some southern cities, especially New Orleans, there are places that will discriminate against say baggie clothes and big chains and traditional black (thug?) was of dressing. They have gotten in trouble because they sometimes let white folks in dressed exactly the same as the black folks they wont let in. This is why you see "black only" clubs but they arent really black only. You can bet youll find a decent number of good looking white girls in these "black only" clubs because they bring in more business to the club. And they will let a white guy in if he really wants to come in. Now as to if he will get quick service well...

Old 03-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #238
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Wait... where is it legal to have a single race only public establishment in this country?
I don't know. All I know is that I was watching some Mardi Gras coverage on TV, and the guy pointed out someone who was wearing distinctive clothing and said something like, "And there's a member of [club name, which I forget], a long-standing club in New Orleans for African-American men."

That's what I heard, and it was said as, "Oh, isn't that interesting?" instead of "How DARE they have a club based on a person's race?!?!" And to me, that seemed to be a double-standard.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #239
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Are you talking about a Margi Gras club? Like a Crew?

Old 03-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #240
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Yes, Inked; what exactly WAS your point bringing up this article? So, reverse discrimination exists. It exists on many different levels, there's blacks-only, whites-only, punks-only, bikers-only, and etcetera kinds of bars and clubs, just in Hollywood alone. And?
O the tiresome lobby is at meaningful questioning, is it?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gay bars given a straight ultimatum
David Cracknell, Political Editor

GAY clubs will risk prosecution if they deny entry to heterosexual customers under new laws intended to protect homosexuals from discrimination.
Under regulations to be published next month it will be illegal for a gay bar or nightclub to exclude anyone on the grounds of sexual orientation.
The full implications of the new law have caused alarm among gay rights activists, who are surprised at the perverse effects of a measure they believed would advance their civil rights.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1) The title of the article was priceless.
2) These are public bars, not private clubs.
3) Equality under the law means that someone can shove their heterosexuality in your face with the same equanimity as non-heterosexuals go about shoving theirs in everyone else's.
4) Gay bars have better male dancers and you don't have to be gay to dance (experentia docet), but who should choreograph your next appearance on the dance floor?
5)The irony was superb.
6)Some orientations are more equal than others in their own eyes and so deserve special treatment: "We can go to yours but you can't come to ours."
7) Could a bouncer reliably tell one's orientation or would it be solely an external characterization based on stereotypes?
8) Is Hollywood in England, Lotesse?

Really, though, the last sentence says it all. The law was thought to have one purpose in the gay activist mind, but turned out to be a double-edged sword. That was the point, Lotesse and Jonathan. Equality often means equality, not what one group has envisioned. And, I must admit, that the use of the word perverse still has me smiling in amusement at the writer's audacity.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941

Last edited by inked : 03-03-2006 at 06:18 PM.
inked is offline   Reply With Quote