Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 01:59 PM   #221
Janny
The Blobbit

I read one of them in Italy... I know you'd got them both out of library at some point, and that I'd read them too. If not... how did I know what was coming?

It was just predictable wasn't it...

I'm afraid I've never seen HH, Mercutio, but I have seen The Importance of Being Ernest in different productions, and I remember thinking that the film was excellent.

And Colin Firth... he seems to work in weening people of that stupid hobbit guy for LotR!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:34 PM   #222
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny
I read one of them in Italy... I know you'd got them both out of library at some point, and that I'd read them too. If not... how did I know what was coming?
I think it was just predicatable, yes The one I had in Italy was the first one, and I read the second at Fintry once. You might have read it but I don't remember that
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:03 PM   #223
Janny
The Blobbit

I've read it. Just because the odds against it are astronomical doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:26 PM   #224
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
If it's the one I saw, I was really disappointed. Henry Tilney's my favourite Austen hero and as you said - shudder... All the dream sequences were a bit weird too. They should definitely remake Northanger Abbey as a decent film - it's such a great book.
I expected Thorpe to be...at least somewhat convincing. It seemed like in the book he actually had Catherine caught for a bit. No one could fall for the *cough ugly cough* actor who played him in NA. Simply detestable.

I kind of felt sorry for Catherine. Mr. Movie-Tilney didn't look like the best catch. In the book he was described as handsome, I believe (?).

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:51 AM   #225
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
I used to think that I was living in something like the Truman Show- that I was the only real person and everyone else was an actor or something. I sometimes still think that.
yep, we're all paid to make you believe this is reality. just be careful so you don't bump into a wall looking like the sky when you go to asia!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 11-16-2004, 06:54 PM   #226
katya
Elven Maiden

I just saw Donnie Darko. I really liked it. I'm still trying to understand a couple parts though. >.<
And I'm watching the really long version of The Scarlet Letter in English class, but I'm not done yet, so I guess you couldn't really say I just saw it.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 PM   #227
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Donnie Darko actually makes no sense if you think about it hard enough, which I did. It is entertaining, makes interesting points, but on a whole makes zero sense. None of the movie would have happened if "frank" hadn't saved donnie in the first place, and thus he would not have had to sacrifice himself later - but then of course we wouldn't have a movie. Other than that, other parts of it didn't make much sense as well.

Scarlet Letter? Not a very fun book, I had to read that last year. We also saw most of the movie, or parts of it.

There are two different movie versions of it though, I believe.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
Old 11-17-2004, 04:26 PM   #228
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
Donnie Darko actually makes no sense if you think about it hard enough, which I did. It is entertaining, makes interesting points, but on a whole makes zero sense. None of the movie would have happened if "frank" hadn't saved donnie in the first place, and thus he would not have had to sacrifice himself later - but then of course we wouldn't have a movie. Other than that, other parts of it didn't make much sense as well.
Excuse Moi? No sense? It makes perfect sense in a philisophical way. Thinking about how every action has consequences, the consequence of Donny not dying causes many other people to suffer. "Frank" is merly a spirit guide to the temperal world that Donny is remembering from his future.

I love that movie

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Old 11-17-2004, 04:50 PM   #229
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt_knome_hobbit
Excuse Moi? No sense? It makes perfect sense in a philisophical way. Thinking about how every action has consequences, the consequence of Donny not dying causes many other people to suffer. "Frank" is merly a spirit guide to the temperal world that Donny is remembering from his future.

I love that movie
i havent seen his movie yet but the directors cut comes out at the movies in about 8 hours so i might just yet, i have heard people go on and on about this movie, and one friend said he didnt think it was that good and when you actually stopped and seriously thought about it, it was stupid. I dunno maybe i believed him or more likely im just the laziest **** around
"it makes perfect sense in a philosophical way" how?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:04 PM   #230
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

If you don't think about it literally, if you think about it metaphorically, it makes sense.

If you try and think that Frank was really there it makes people go "huh? I don't get it."

Stuff like that.

Old 11-17-2004, 05:05 PM   #231
Janny
The Blobbit

There are other movies which make no sense when you think about them. The Matrix is one of them. NO!!! NOO!!! Don't just say 'if you think it makes no sense then you didn't get it!' I understood! I got it! And I didn't get it...

Old 11-17-2004, 05:12 PM   #232
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
There are other movies which make no sense when you think about them. The Matrix is one of them. NO!!! NOO!!! Don't just say 'if you think it makes no sense then you didn't get it!' I understood! I got it! And I didn't get it...
now this im interested to hear, please you cant stop after that what made no sense?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:28 PM   #233
Janny
The Blobbit

Most of the ending... to be honest, it kinda faded into the incomprehensible...

Old 11-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #234
HOBBIT

about donnie darko:

philosphical.... yes i said it had nice ideas like that. if you actually think about the plot thouhg, it makes very little sense.

You should buy or rent the DVD. The dvd is pretty cheap - i borrowed it from a friend though .

I hear that the Director's Cut is......different, like a different movie in some ways.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 11-17-2004, 06:32 PM   #235
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Most of the ending... to be honest, it kinda faded into the incomprehensible...
The problem with the matrix storyline, IMO, is that it started out with such a grandiose vision, which, if it had managed to pull it off, would have made it a freakin' awesome story. We went in expecting these big answers, and big twists, and all we got was a freakin' jesus story. The simplicity of the ending is what made it confusing. I was like, "huh?", is that it??
Old 11-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #236
HOBBIT

"Don't just say 'if you think it makes no sense then you didn't get it!' I understood! I got it! And I didn't get it..."

*applauds*

Yes, it is this way with many movies. And yet if you say that you think part or all of it really made no sense when you analyze it and such people usually just say "you didn't understand it" as if they understood it all and you just arent as...... enlightened as them :P

Old 11-17-2004, 09:51 PM   #237
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
about donnie darko:

philosphical.... yes i said it had nice ideas like that. if you actually think about the plot thouhg, it makes very little sense.

You should buy or rent the DVD. The dvd is pretty cheap - i borrowed it from a friend though .

I hear that the Director's Cut is......different, like a different movie in some ways.
Yeah, the directors cut makes so much more sense. Hee hee.

I love that movie

Old 11-18-2004, 08:51 AM   #238
katya
Elven Maiden

Yeah, I remember thinking really hard about something and thinking it didn't make sense, but, I still like it. I'll have to think a little harder, sorry. EDIT: I haven't seen the director's cut yet, so maybe I will consider it.

I'm really getting into the Scarlet Letter movie. I tried reading the book once and didn't finish it, but I like the movie. That's odd for me, because usually the book is better. But this particular movie follows the book almost exactly, word for word. I'm disappointed that I'll miss the end today, since I have to take some kids to the dentist, so I think I'll borrow it from my teacher. Some parts I don't understand though. It's a deeper book than I originally gave it credit for.

Last edited by katya : 11-18-2004 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:02 AM   #239
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I just saw The Alamo. Not bad. Rather good with the historical stuff, although the story lacked direction- I mean, we already know they're all going to die, but there was somthing missing... No character development, or else very little, which made the movie a little confusing. But, it did have some stirring speeches and some great camera-shots. I also liked Crockett on the wall with his fiddle. That was a great moment.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Old 11-18-2004, 06:30 PM   #240
HOBBIT

Demi Moore version? or the version with whats-her-face with the crazy eyes.

Closed Thread