Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #221
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo
No idea; never saw it. I wish I had time for movies.

I have to vent for my friend. He's been home all day working on a "group" project that's due tomorrow. His teacher picked the groups and he wound up with some girl and this asshole guy, who I've met before, and trust me he's an ass. That was two weeks ago, and since then they've met to work on it together twice but the other two people haven't done a thing but talk to each other. I wouldn't be so angry, because that happens all the time, but yesterday that guy said to the girl, behind my friend's back, "Whatch, now Joe's gonna try to go and steal all the credit for this project even though he hasn't done ****. He's so lazy." Idiot! He just took off from work on short notice today to start and finish this project, and damn right he'll tell the teacher that you guys didn't pitch in. Gah! I hate that! That's why I prefer working on my own; if I'm unreliable, it's my fault alone since I don't care, and chances are I'd do the best work anyway.

And now I have this thing in my eye. I can't even see it in the mirror. I wouldn't be suprized if a mosquito bit my eyeball; it's never annoyed me so persistently before. ...just a bad day.
Group projects are just the worst, unless you get that rare but wonderful good group. I finally figured out that you don't really learn much about the actual project in a group project; what you learn is how to work with difficult people.

I hope your eye gets better!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #222
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Gnrrrr! I submitted my lab to my prof 2 months ago, and only now has he sent me an email saying that I never submitted it, THE DAY BEFORE THE FREAKIN' EXAM. I spent 2 hours panicking and trying to trace back the trail of proof to prove that I submitted it, and then I remembered that I'd had the presence of mind to email the lab to the other lecturer as well, so I emailed him, and all is well in the world again. *whew*
WHAT?!?!?! Why in the WORLD didn't he contact you 2 months ago about it?!?!?!

That's just terrible on his part - really unconscionable. I"m SO glad you were able to fix it up - remember that the next time you have to submit a paper!! Get a receipt or something!!! Sheesh!

(how are you liking your coursework in your new area of study, btw?)

Vent - woke up with a sore throat this morning

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-03-2005, 04:20 PM   #223
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Oh you friggin' crybabies you don't know what venting IS till you have to start arguing with a bunch of well-educated, super-power endowed NAZGUL as if you were right there being one of them, amongst them. BAH!! I laugh at your paltry vents. Try being a Nazgul. Life ain't all the days of wine and roses, my friends. Feckin' murderous backstabbin' loyalty deficient discriminatory power- lustin bleeps. Meh.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA! *holds sides* Oh, Lotesse, you just killed whatever vent I had, thank you! That was great, the first thing I read here. You always find a way (inadvertantly) to cheer me up!

Vent: No longer there because Lotesse made me slay it with laughter.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:25 PM   #224
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
I have to write an essay on the film "The African Queen" (Bogart, Hepburn...going down the river...).
Ideas?
I can't believe you didn't Google it. There must be tons of sites for that movie. It's an all time favorite on so many lists; we have two copies and watch it as time passes.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #225
Mercutio

Yes I googled it. All I could find were summaries, cast lists, reviews, etc. No sample essay topics or prompts. Nothing to spark my essay writing. My dad gave me some thesis ideas though...and I ended up writing two pages on stereotypes and character transformations.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:16 PM   #226
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I know you looked but also know you didn't go far enough. No problem. Stereotypes is a good one to compare and contrast.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #227
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
Yes I googled it. All I could find were summaries, cast lists, reviews, etc. No sample essay topics or prompts. Nothing to spark my essay writing. My dad gave me some thesis ideas though...and I ended up writing two pages on stereotypes and character transformations.
Oooh! I wish I thought of this sooner for you: The International Movie DataBase. Ah, I couldn't think of anything to tell you, but that place should definately have some helpful stuff. My film analysis teacher showed it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Bombadillo quit going undercover, scaredy-cat. Why must you always feel the need to cloak? And what's this about eyeballs; I saw some retarded freaks on this reality show tonight popping COW EYEBALLS and draining the eye-cow contents into shotglasses then drinking the contents. Eye cow juice. Try THAT on for size. And uncloak thyself, you friggin' scaredy cat. I'm sicka wondering whether or not you're online. Puh-LEESE. get over yourself. I for one would like to see when you're online. I like interacting with you, dammit. Take the stupid cloak off already.
Ha! Thanks, somehow.

Elk eyeballs are an Inuit delicacy.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 11-03-2005 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #228
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Argh. Why do I get sick so much?! WHY?! I wasn't a sickly child, it's just for the last year or two I've been getting sick about once every two months, then it'll last for two weeks and then slowly go away. Always a sore throat that I can feel coming on for 24 hours in advance, and then I just wake up one morning and BAM--sore throat/fever/cold.

The sore throat clears out during the day, but then by evening I'm struggling to speak in a clear voice. And it always seems to happen on -choir- nights. Like tonight--I've just finished screwing my voice over.

And in new developments, my hands are shaking and feel weak, but I can't make them stop shaking unless I lay them completely flat.

What the heck is up with me?
Old 11-04-2005, 12:09 AM   #229
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Are you asthmatic? My asthma/allergy drugs do that to me... something about thinning the blood, weakening the immune system, even affecting the nervous system to make you shake like you've got Parkinson's, or actually make some people jumpy. Sore throat might be because of the weakened immune system or because some drugs affect the protective layer of mucus in your windpipe. That's all a big pain, 'cause there's nothing you can really do about it except take vitamins. I'm thinking about seeing an herbalist, too.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:30 AM   #230
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

No, I'm not asthmatic, and I never have been, although I guess you could say that I've always been a bit 'frail' in the sense that I've never had much endurance.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:44 AM   #231
Rían

sorry to hear that, Tessar I hope they can figure something out. It might be allergy-related ... if my kids start to get a runny nose from allergies, I hit 'em with allergy medicine right away and then it seems to stop the sore throad/getting worse cycle most of the time.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:45 AM   #232
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Hmm... hopefully it's just the seasons changing or this new weather. Maybe you'll feel normal in a few weeks. I hope so!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:23 AM   #233
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Hey, "T", you need a good diagnostician. Und, asthma can cause those symptoms and the season is right; hope you get it checked out soon.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #234
Mercutio

Bombadillo, I'm aware of IMDB, but that didn't give any literary (Well actually film) analysis, themes, etc, on The African Queen.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:23 PM   #235
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well for weeks I've been meaning to search for the decision for government to take land ...now I find it and can't remember where-which topic- the subject came up...and I promised to post there when I found it.....RATZ
Old 11-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #236
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Eating Elk Eyeballs

In ref. to what Bombadillo was saying about that the Inuit eat elk eyeballs, I decided to do a little research into this practise do NOT ask me why, and came up with this information, which ought to effectively dissuade people from making it a habit to eat the eyeballs of elk or deer. It causes this dreadful ailment. Read, if you dare...

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/cwdinformation.asp

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 11-04-2005, 10:17 PM   #237
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Hey, "T", you need a good diagnostician. Und, asthma can cause those symptoms and the season is right; hope you get it checked out soon.
I really don't think it's Asthma... It's just something strange. Maybe allergies...

If I don't eat every few hours I start to feel really bad, I've got stuff running down my throat, I can only speak near the bottom of my voice range, and if I try to speak or sing above that or even put any volume/emotion into my speaking voice I can't make a sound.

That and I just generally feel kind of crappy right now .

*falls over*
Old 11-05-2005, 01:36 PM   #238
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I have no change, and no change means no getting my laundry done, and that means no clean socks... yuck. Must find an atm get some cash, and hope that the post office with the converting bills into quarters machine thingy is open... which it probably won't be till monday.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 11-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #239
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Good luck.

Vent: The damn planet is falling apart! Just listening to NPR is hilarious how stupid some people are. I'm listening to a reporter online in the middle of a battle in Iraq.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:07 AM   #240
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

This report may cheer you up some.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html
We can be comforted to know that the news from Iraq is not all bad.

Vent: My annoyance at BBC News is increasing. In their description of our recent joint Iraqi and US military operations, they mentioned nothing about the good that is being done. They did not mention the growing insurgent casualties, but rather just describe how dangerous Al'Qaeda is and how "no US troops have died yet". BBC's left-wing bias in reporting is certainly annoying me. This is just added to my already existing annoyance at BBC for picking on the Republican and Christian leaders, without presenting both sides of the story. BBC also likes a good scrap, a good contraversy, even if one doesn't exist. Like that silly story it posted about Bush having said God told him to go into Iraq and Afghanistan. The only source of this story that BBC has is one Palestinian official, and that official claims that in context, he didn't think it should be taken literally. BBC likes to make a lot out of nothing solid, if it blackens Pres. Bush's name. And the story about Pat Robertson. Very one sided.

Oh well.

Anti-Vent: I am very pleased with BBC for having the courage to speak the truth in Uzbekistan, even if it caused their bureau there to be dismantled by the government. In some ways, the article on BBC about the matter was badly put, but I still think the evidence was solid and the courage to act on it was laudable. So about that, I'm pleased with BBC.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Closed Thread