Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 06:55 PM   #201
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
JD, I thought Inked said they didn't care about the names of the baseball teams and it was some random other group complaing about it. Now I can't find what post that was though.
I haven't been on much - but here is your answer. A MINORITY of Indians it offends. While at trish's graudation party in may at the reserve one of her friends got into it with me about the baseball team the Indians and things like that. I was in no mood to argue - so I left the room. I found it rather annoying that he's bitching about a sports team in another country, who is named in HONOR of one of it's greatest players, but yet is silent on the above signs that Indians themselves freely display to advertise their business. I find it hypocritical and racist for them to say that "well we can put this stuff up - but you can't have indian logos". hell - we have the Vikings, the Patriots, the Kings, etc - I don't see much difference. The Scandanavian population isn't going around bitching about the Vikings mascot and team name.

It's the small minority with big loud voices and some with big moneyed lawyers at their side that is causing this damn ridiculous PCness.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-19-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:52 PM   #202
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I would say theres a marked difference between the terms "Indians" or "Seminoles" or "Aztecs" and "Redskins". I can certainly see how native americans would see the name Redskin to be offensive. Theres no parallel between the term Viking and Redskin. As far as I know "Redskin" is the last of the great racist team names.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Old 12-20-2004, 01:16 AM   #203
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
I would say theres a marked difference between the terms "Indians" or "Seminoles" or "Aztecs" and "Redskins". I can certainly see how native americans would see the name Redskin to be offensive. Theres no parallel between the term Viking and Redskin. As far as I know "Redskin" is the last of the great racist team names.
Yeah - they consider it such a racist term they have the Red Indian Gas Station on the reserve.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-20-2004, 10:33 AM   #204
Blackheart
Elf Lord

It might be because red man means something different to lakota souix

"Luther Standing Bear (1978) wrote that red face paint was used daily by Dakota women and more fair skinned children to protect the face and body from sun and wind. He also noted that this was the origin of the term "red man" since Native Americans have brown colored skin (Standing Bear 1978). Standing Bear described his Lakota grandmother, who was anticipating the birth of a child, baking red earth clay and pounding it into a fine powder to mix with buffalo fat. This rendered it into a creamy paste which 'served as a cleanser and also a protector to the tender skin of the child. . . '"

The fact that it's a business/tourist consideration probably has at least something to do with what the store is named...

If you want to buy something from my po' cracker boiled peanut stand, or redneck ranch, go ahead. I'll probably smile and then call you a yankee bastard, or note that you are from the land of fruit and nuts, or even worse; poor soul- from Alabama, But after you spend your money and leave...

I can only relate things to my own experience, but I will note that some people get upset when you call them a redneck, and some people make a living off it....

My personal opinion is that there are only two kinds of people in the world. The haves, and the have nots. And that's a very relative relationship... Someone's always got less than you, and someone always has more...

Living in the US, even the poorest people can be considered haves, and at the same time live in abject poverty... It's a f'ed up world, and if the man wants to call his gas station the red man filler'up, he can do so, as long as he's not doing false advertising...

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...

Last edited by Blackheart : 12-20-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:14 PM   #205
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
Yeah - they consider it such a racist term they have the Red Indian Gas Station on the reserve.
So by that logic if one white person isnt offended by calling a team say the "Georgia Rednecks" then no whites are allowed to feel it is a derogatory term?

EDIT: My point was already anticipated by Blackheart. Pardon its redundancy.

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 12-20-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:42 PM   #206
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Hey, no Kwaanza music? No Muslim winter tunes? JUST HOW INCLUSIVE ARE YOU THERE IN PORTLAND?
My post clearly stated that they included Christmas songs, and they called it Christmas, and they sing about Jesus' birth at a public school in the heart of southeast Portland. This is in response to people who say we liberals (and southeast Portland is one of the most liberal places in America) are trying to take Christ out of Christmas. It is simply not true. It is an exageration meant to elicit pity for the supposedly oppressed majority.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:19 PM   #207
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
So by that logic if one white person isnt offended by calling a team say the "Georgia Rednecks" then no whites are allowed to feel it is a derogatory term?

EDIT: My point was already anticipated by Blackheart. Pardon its redundancy.
There have been many deragatory comments against republicans on this board - especially during the election. I find it funny how no one thinks nor cares about that - but hey - Inked already went over this. As for Georgia rednecks - go ahead. Words are only as powerful as you make them. Call a team the NJ Whites for all I care.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #208
Beor
founder of the color blue

I know this is pretty much not even close to the conversation here (whats up, JD?! ), but here it is:

I am at my wife's Grandfathers house right now, and the other day we were sitting by the bar in the kitchen and I said to my kid, "what does Santa say?", and my kid said "ho ho ho", which i thought was an acceptable answer, so my Grandfather in law turned to me and said, "I dont think you can say ho ho ho anymore", and I said "why not?," and he said, "its not politically correct, it should be something like 'lady of the evening, lady of the evening, lady of the evening'" I though it was funny.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:31 PM   #209
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beor
I know this is pretty much not even close to the conversation here (whats up, JD?! ),
Hey Beor - How are things going? E-mail me. Welcome back and welcome home.
Quote:
I am at my wife's Grandfathers house right now, and the other day we were sitting by the bar in the kitchen and I said to my kid, "what does Santa say?", and my kid said "ho ho ho", which i thought was an acceptable answer, so my Grandfather in law turned to me and said, "I dont think you can say ho ho ho anymore", and I said "why not?," and he said, "its not politically correct, it should be something like 'lady of the evening, lady of the evening, lady of the evening'" I though it was funny.
That is funny.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-20-2004, 03:36 PM   #210
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Great example to back my point! I would rather see people care about being polite than worry if they are being politically correct. And the anti-PC movement is just a way for people to justify being impolite.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:40 PM   #211
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfhelm
Great example to back my point! I would rather see people care about being polite than worry if they are being politically correct. And the anti-PC movement is just a way for people to justify being impolite.
It is not a way of justifying being impolite. You can no legislate politeness and there will always be racism. Just like many people - especially liberals seem to hate rich people for the sole purpose because they're rich. I'd like to point out the many times that you were far from polite during the election - so I wouldn't get on your throne as the model of of politeness here. You're comments toward religious people and those who don't support y9our views is a prime example of your double standard.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-20-2004, 03:41 PM   #212
Beor
founder of the color blue

You know, there are restraunts where the whole point of the place is that they are assholes to you, and it is actually quite refreshing. No fake smiles, no "yes sir, no problem", only, "Hell no, eat the damn thing with mayo or dont eat it, youre paying for it either way". Its awesome. I can understand political correctness, but people take it too far. Most of it is just ridiculous.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:52 PM   #213
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
My post clearly stated that they included Christmas songs, and they called it Christmas, and they sing about Jesus' birth at a public school in the heart of southeast Portland. This is in response to people who say we liberals (and southeast Portland is one of the most liberal places in America) are trying to take Christ out of Christmas. It is simply not true. It is an exageration meant to elicit pity for the supposedly oppressed majority.
Just as a note - not you liberals, just some liberals. There's a difference. To claim that all liberals are against christmas would certainly be an exaggeration - but the subculture of liberalism that wishes to censor everything that they might dissagree with has been violently opposed to Christmas (among other things). And it was never said that the majority was oppressed, just that there were continual efforts to oppress (and suppress) the 95% of the country that celebrates christmas. These aren't just a few overblown examples - there are numerous attempts each year to remove Christmas from the public square.

Quote:
It is maintained that a society is free only when dissenting minorities have room to throw their weight around ... As a matter of fact, a dissenting minority feels free only when it can impose its will on the majority: what it abominates most is the dissent of the majority.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #214
jerseydevil

BTW - political correctness is another phrase for selective bigotry. Political correctness is only applied to CERTAIN groups.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #215
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

The funniness of the joke is the sudden unexpected mention of the "lady of the evening", which is the polite way to say it. The whole joke hinges on an objection to being required to be polite, and a pretense of confusion about the word "ho". Is there anyone who doesn't think the word "ho" is impolite?

Personal attacks are not only impolite, they are against the rules at this messageboard. Politeness can be legislated, as it is here, and enforced. For instance, the use of anglo-saxon words for body parts instead of proper latin words, because you know, the Normans did conquer the Saxons and established the list of vulgar and profane words long ago.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:58 PM   #216
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beor
You know, there are restraunts where the whole point of the place is that they are assholes to you, and it is actually quite refreshing. No fake smiles, no "yes sir, no problem", only, "Hell no, eat the damn thing with mayo or dont eat it, youre paying for it either way". Its awesome. I can understand political correctness, but people take it too far. Most of it is just ridiculous.
Yeah - I know - there is one in Chicago. My brother used to love going there. I had never been there though - but they're whole thing is about being rude and obnoxious. From what my father said - my brother got really into and would insult the waiters and things.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 12-20-2004, 04:02 PM   #217
jerseydevil

Quote:
The funniness of the joke is the sudden unexpected mention of the "lady of the evening", which is the polite way to say it. The whole joke hinges on an objection to being required to be polite, and a pretense of confusion about the word "ho". Is there anyone who doesn't think the word "ho" is impolite?
It may be impolite - and I wouldn't call someone a ho - unless they were.

BTW the elfhelm - thanks for explaining the joke to us - we would never have understood otherwise.
Quote:
Personal attacks are not only impolite, they are against the rules at this messageboard. Politeness can be legislated, as it is here, and enforced. For instance, the use of anglo-saxon words for body parts instead of proper latin words, because you know, the Normans did conquer the Saxons and established the list of vulgar and profane words long ago.
Entmoot is not a free society with a freedom of speech amendment. You can NOT force people in a free society to be polite. As for being polite - where was the outrage from the democratic party when Whoopie Goldberg was comparing Bush to her body parts? There was none - so again - don't try to claim that you somehow have this great enlightment about politeness.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 12-20-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:04 PM   #218
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer
...the subculture of liberalism that wishes to censor everything that they might dissagree with has been violently opposed to Christmas ...
Violent? Who's violent?

It's a generic term to say Happy Holidays because it includes everybody. Those who wish to change it to Merry Christmas want to exclude all but themselves. It was the Yuletide for a lot longer than it was Christmas. But we don't call it Yuletide anymore because that would exclude the Christians.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:05 PM   #219
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
There have been many deragatory comments against republicans on this board - especially during the election. I find it funny how no one thinks nor cares about that
whats that got to do with the cost of tea in china exactly?

Quote:
As for Georgia rednecks - go ahead. Words are only as powerful as you make them. Call a team the NJ Whites for all I care.
Now who would want to cheer for that? Maybe the Homestead Whites? Sorry... I crack myself up...

Its funny though. I read an article in the sports section recently written by a jewish guy that said man Id LOVE it if a team called themselves "The Jews". Because how awsome would it be to have 80,000 people screaming GO JEWS! GO JEWS! GO JEWS!

But that all aside, the point is you cant really get around the fact that the term "Redskin" is a deragatory term. And its a bit bizarre that its still used for a major sports team in 2004. Of course Im a hypocrite for going to the games but hey Im gonna call a spade a spade (oh woops... probably not a very PC phrase to use in this context... )

Old 12-20-2004, 04:07 PM   #220
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Yeah - I know - there is one in Chicago. My brother used to love going there. I had never been there though - but they're whole thing is about being rude and obnoxious. From what my father said - my brother got really into and would insult the waiters and things.
The Billy Goat Tavern. Its world famous ever since Saturday Night Live paradied it like 20 years ago. But its just shtick really. Now if you want rude service go to pretty much any restaurant in New York.

Closed Thread