Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 03:48 PM   #201
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
IMO, Galadriel helped Gimli a lot to get rid of his prejudices. I mean, after he has meet her, he defended her like no one else did. In think through her he saw the elves in a new, better way.
And that again, caused Legolas' new connection to the dwarves and especially to Gimli. He realized that the dwarves are not that dumb as he might have thought earlier.
Yes, you are right. He was reluctant to go into the forest and when he was asked to be blindfolded to take the path he was very insulted and did not trust the Elves. After his meeting with Galadriel, his whole attitude toward her and the Elves of Lorien changed... as well as his attitude toward Legolas.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:40 PM   #202
Fëannel
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by Ithilwin
for a fighter I'd say Eowyn(If we judge based on the books)
actually i think Haleth (Quenta Silmarillion) is one of the greatest female fighters and leaders of all Middle-earth, at least of the lands to the North; for TLotR probably Éowyn. Lúthien Tinúviel went with Beren into Angband and got a Silmaril from the crown of Morgoth, so i guess she's alright... on the whole, though, I'd have to say Haleth.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:55 PM   #203
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Fëannel
actually i think Haleth (Quenta Silmarillion) is one of the greatest female fighters and leaders of all Middle-earth, at least of the lands to the North; for TLotR probably Éowyn. Lúthien Tinúviel went with Beren into Angband and got a Silmaril from the crown of Morgoth, so i guess she's alright... on the whole, though, I'd have to say Haleth.
Haleth is a good choice: warrior, fighter, leader, mother. She's got it all goin'.

I'm still keeping with Galadriel as my choice (also mother, fighter, warrior, leader, but never selfish... see past posts for more).
Old 03-28-2003, 01:39 PM   #204
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Haleth is cool too, but I don't know too much about her.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:03 PM   #205
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yea for Galadriel! The nice thing about her is that we know quite a bit about her. And much of it is very impressive...

Actually Tolkien gave her a lot of "camera time" in the book, indicative of a strong, important character.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 03-30-2003, 03:15 AM   #206
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Melian or Luthien
Old 03-30-2003, 04:05 AM   #207
Orion
Enting

Melian is very impressive, I think.. but Haleth is the one who has made the biggest impression on me; she was "just" of the race of men, not an elf, and after losing her father and brother she started taking care of her people.. a very strong woman.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:47 AM   #208
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Oh, I forgot about her. Ok, let's see - i have 3 'most impressive female characters' - a mortal, an elf and a Maia.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:05 AM   #209
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Impressive always depends on the race the characters are from.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:08 AM   #210
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Impressive always depends on the race the characters are from.
That's sort of how i measured their 'impressiveness' anyway- according to what power their race has, and how they utilised these to perform their great deeds. Melian had immense power, and used it to form the Girdle, and Haleth as a mortal had little power but she used it to protect her people.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:34 AM   #211
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

But we always seem to be more impressed by Elves and Maiar.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:00 PM   #212
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
That's sort of how i measured their 'impressiveness' anyway- according to what power their race has, and how they utilised these to perform their great deeds. Melian had immense power, and used it to form the Girdle, and Haleth as a mortal had little power but she used it to protect her people.
True, true... (about Melian) but she only protected those that lived in Doriath. She did nothing to help all of ME. And being a Maia she could have done more, I feel.
Galadriel did many great things prior to LotR books that helped ME. Haleth was a great leader! Both of these were highly impressive females. Many here have mentioned Luthien, who had great courage in facing Melkor with Beren. Even though it was out of love for Beren and not to help ME, that deed can't be discounted.
But again, Galadriel's sacrifices and assistance to ME came for the benefit of all who lived there, even those she had never met or loved.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:18 PM   #213
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I don't think that the reasons why somebody did something impressive is that important. Or maybe it is the most important thing about impressive actions. What do you think?
Old 04-01-2003, 02:17 PM   #214
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
I don't think that the reasons why somebody did something impressive is that important. Or maybe it is the most important thing about impressive actions. What do you think?
Of course someone's motivation for doing something is very important.
Christians think that Jesus was great because he did great things for people he didn't know or had never met, even people that hated him. [Sorry to bring religion into this, folks. You know I hate to do that.]
Most mother's would give their lives for their children, this is out of love for them. Would the same woman do this for someone else's child? The outcome is uncertain when the child is not her own.
These women did not give their lives for others, but the risk to themselves was great in what they did. It put them in harm's way. It is the motivation that separates them.
Of course, this is all my opinion, and means nothing.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:48 PM   #215
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Oh, I think your opinion is quite cool. That's why I "widened" my statement. First I thought reasons are nothing but then I thought that most of the times without of the reason a hero would be no hero.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:30 PM   #216
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I think your opinion is quite cool. That's why I "widened" my statement. First I thought reasons are nothing but then I thought that most of the times without of the reason a hero would be no hero.
Wow, my opinion is cool. *head begins to swell, suddenly a loud "pop" is heard and bits of brain matter spatter all over the monitor*
Old 04-02-2003, 07:03 AM   #217
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I'm the compliment-girl in here. Say something nice and I'll praise you.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:34 AM   #218
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Wow, my opinion is cool. *head begins to swell, suddenly a loud "pop" is heard and bits of brain matter spatter all over the monitor*
Oh, what a shame. I thought your opinion was great too (I concur with what you said), but i guess 2 compliments would just be too detrimental to your health.
I agree so completely with what you said that I can't even think of a response to it other than this.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:44 AM   #219
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Okay, the offical Ruinel-Thread!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:55 AM   #220
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Hail, Ruinel! *grovels on hands and knees*

Praise also Lalaith, the founder of this thread who posts every 2nd message in it. (I guess cos it's your 'baby')

You're wonderful Ruinel. Absolutely splendourriffic.
Closed Thread