Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-03-2006, 02:54 PM   #201
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Its what happens when you have a system that reflects its constituancy (think about the average american...). But hey what can you do. Vote them out of office when they get ridiculous. And vote the next round out when they do the same...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #202
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
You guys are such hypocrites. Have you forgotten about poor Ms. Harriet Miers already? You know the nominee that got the REPUBLICANS all in a huff and saying nasty things about her and causing such a fuss that she was forced to actually withdraw? And why? Because the extreme right wing about blew a gasket because they didnt want some dame who might not be adamantly against abortion on the supreme court. And the republicans in congress were reflecting their constituents (and nervously thinking about 2006) JUST as the democrats were with Alito. So it goes BOTH ways. Thats politics. Wake up. Its not a democratic tactic alone. Anyone who thinks so doesnt know their history too well. Whats next? Defending poor Tom DeLay for being so unfairly tarred and feathered by the democrats for these silly corruption charges?

And the fact that Alito may have been a member of a racist group in college is fair game as far as Im concerned and I dont really get how that makes the democrats bigots.

Also, which democrats came out and said they are absolutely voting against Alito BEFORE the hearings? Even Kennedy didnt say that. They are careful to be sure to say they dont like this or that about them but they want to get some answers from them during the hearings before they make a final decision. Furthermore, four democrats actually voted FOR Alito so this "all democrats" talk is wrong from the start. Check the facts. And check what the republicans do when its their turn.
I loathed what they did to Miers as well, I hate politics personally but its part of life, the Miers thing was somewhat discriminatory because people were afraid of the unknown, not so with Alito they're simply afraid of....fear...itself (hmm that might be out of context but I like how it sounds )

and I realize 4 dems voted for Alito nowhere in my previous post will you find such an inclusive word such as "all" or "everyone"

edit: I apologise I did use the word "whole" and did not intend to, that mistake has been rectified.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.

Last edited by rohirrim TR : 02-04-2006 at 01:30 AM.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:17 PM   #203
inked
Elf Lord

Speaking of Democrats and morality always reminds me that the "moral compass" of the Democratic party is Ted Kennedy. And that always reminds me and people of my age of this young lady. Some to deliberately forget, of course, and some to remember:

My name is Mary Jo Kopechne.

I would have been 65 years of age this year.

Read about me and my killer below:When Sen. Ted Kennedy was merely just another Democrat bloating on Capitol Hill on behalf of liberal causes, it was perhaps excusable to ignore his deplorable past.

But now that he's become a leading Republican attack dog, positioning himself as Washington's leading arbiter of truth and integrity, the days for such indulgence are now over.

It's time for the GOP to stand up and remind America why this chief spokesman had to abandon his own presidential bid in 1980 - time to say the words "Mary Jo Kopechne" out loud.

As is often the case, Republicans have deluded themselves into thinking that most Americans already know the story of how this "Conscience of the Democratic Party" left Miss Kopechne behind to die in the waters underneath the Edgartown Bridge in July 1969, after a night of drinking and partying with the young blonde campaign worker. But most Americans under 40 have never heard that story, or details of how Kennedy swam to safety, then tried to get his cousin Joe Garghan to say he was behind the wheel.

Those young voters don't know how Miss Kopechne, trapped inside Kennedy's Oldsmobile, gasped for air until she finally died, while the Democrats' leading Iraq war critic rushed back to his compound to formulate the best alibi he could think of.

Neither does Generation X know how Kennedy was thrown out of Harvard on his ear 15 years earlier -- for paying a fellow student to take his Spanish final. Or why the US Army denied him a commission because he cheated on tests.

As they listen to the Democrats' "Liberal Lion" accuse President Bush of "telling lie after lie after lie" to get America to go to war in Iraq, young voters don't know about that notorious 1991 Easter weekend in Palm Beach when Uncle Teddy rounded up his nephews for a night on the town, an evening that ended with one of them credibly accused of rape.

It's time for Republicans to state unabashedly that they will no longer "go along with the gag" when it comes to Uncle Ted's rants about deception and moral turpitude inside the Bush White House.

And if the Republicans don't, let's do it ourselves by passing this forgotten disgrace around the Internet to wake up memories of what a fraud and fake Teddy really is.

The Democratic Party should be ashamed to have the national disgrace from Massachusetts as their spokesman.

+++++++++++++++++

History, truth, campaigns, lies ... my politics is such fun! But, I do believe democracy is the best system simply because no individual can be trusted with absolute power.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #204
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I know all about Ted Kennedy, and I learned about Chappaquidick and that girl's drowning AGES ago, and never forgot it. He is definitely a creepy, cowardly murderer and pathetic alcoholic, to boot.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:00 PM   #205
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Im assuming this is an attempt to distract from the largely republican lead corruption and scandals of the past few years? Because I dont see anyone posting stories about Tom Delay or Newt Gingrich or Bob Ney or John Rowland or Ernie Fletcher or the 'K Street Project' or etc etc. Theres been a wave of them folks that even other republicans have called the past two years or so a "culture of corruption" lead largely by republicans. Sure we can pull up stories from 1969 about democratic corruption and scandal but it really just makes you look like your not dealing with current reality. Politicians from BOTH parties can be sleaze bags people... Better learn that quick.

But then dont get me started on this whole "moral" hypocrisy nonsense... Its not the democrats who like to crow about how awfully moral they are and how the 1996/2004 election was a moral revolution... So if you ask me the hypocrisy of the republicans who cry about the immoraliy of self appointed "moral" leaders is off the scale.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #206
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
So if you ask me the hypocrisy of the republicans who cry about the immoraliy of self appointed "moral" leaders is off the scale.
Right on!
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #207
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
Kennedy accuses him of being in an exclusive club (read into, racist) that he himself is a part of.
The club thing is kind of hypocritical, IMO, because of a club that Kennedy still belongs to that was thrown off the Harvard campus for not allowing women:

link here

Here's an excerpt:
Quote:
Sen. Edward M. Kennedy belongs to a social club for Harvard students and alumni that was evicted from campus nearly 20 years ago after refusing to allow female members.
According to the online membership directory of the Owl Club, the Massachusetts Democrat updated his personal information -- including the address of his home, which is in his wife's name -- on Sept. 7.
The club has long been reviled on campus as "sexist" and "elitist" and, in 1984, was booted from the university for violating federal anti-discrimination laws, authored by Mr. Kennedy.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 02-04-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:47 AM   #208
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That just makes me furthur disgusted with the sleazebag. It's hard - and kinda painful - to believe that this is the relation of the beloved and wonderful and incomparable John F. Kennedy. It's like polar opposites. I LOVE J.F.K., and absolutely LOATHE that fat toad Ted K.

What's the name of this thread again - oh yeah, "Discrimination." Well, I don't discriminate/ I regulate every shade of that a**!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #209
inked
Elf Lord

Discrimination and cartoons in Nigeria:

http://www.neandernews.com/?p=105
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 03-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #210
inked
Elf Lord

Islamic tolerance in Egypt is not quite up to snuff:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022202437.html

But what do North Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Iran have in common:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../1588965/posts

Last edited by inked : 03-08-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:59 PM   #211
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

This, to me, continues to be a huge difference. From what I can tell, in most primarily Islamic countries, Christian churches are not welcome, to say the least. In most primarily Christian countries, mosques are permitted. This is not said to slam anyone - it's just to point out a simple fact.

There is a Coptic Christian on the Moot, btw, but he doesn't post here much anymore. I hope he didn't have relatives there.

edit - interesting second link, too - I'd like to see a comparable list for Muslims being persecuted.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 03-08-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:33 AM   #212
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Just a thought - Islam is about 600 years than Christianity and 600 years ago, it would be out of the question for Christian countries to allow mosques and Muslims were being persecuted back then.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #213
inked
Elf Lord

In Egypt, today...

political

http://themiddleground.blogspot.com/...-arrested.html

around the world...
religious persecutions...
http://www.persecution.net/pnp.htm#1

Last edited by inked : 05-09-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #214
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Just a thought - Islam is about 600 years than Christianity and 600 years ago, it would be out of the question for Christian countries to allow mosques and Muslims were being persecuted back then.
Exactly.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #215
inked
Elf Lord

So it's ok to discriminate based on societal expectations. Good. Thought I might hear the truth at last. I know you argue that, BJ, but now I see you mean it.

This I believe is the coup de grace for trying to change societies, is it not?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #216
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
This, to me, continues to be a huge difference. From what I can tell, in most primarily Islamic countries, Christian churches are not welcome, to say the least. In most primarily Christian countries, mosques are permitted. This is not said to slam anyone - it's just to point out a simple fact.

There is a Coptic Christian on the Moot, btw, but he doesn't post here much anymore. I hope he didn't have relatives there.

edit - interesting second link, too - I'd like to see a comparable list for Muslims being persecuted.
Really? Who?

I've heard bits of the Coptic liturgy, and thought it was very nice, and find the Copts fascinating in general. There's a Coptic Catholic Church down in LA, and I keep meaning to go; haven't yet, though.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #217
Rían

I'm kinda afraid to mention it on a public thread, because the tolerant people might start being prejudiced against him ...

Old 05-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #218
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
So it's ok to discriminate based on societal expectations. Good. Thought I might hear the truth at last. I know you argue that, BJ, but now I see you mean it.

This I believe is the coup de grace for trying to change societies, is it not?
I'm just agreeing with the historical observation made by Jonathan. People do discriminate based on societal expectations, and it "ok" to admit that. In fact, I'd say the only way to mitigate discrimination is to try to understand what's behind all the differing societal expectations that exist and have existed on our planet.

As far as change goes. The best way to bring about change is try to help people see the world from points of view other than their own. And I am guilty of that.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #219
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
As far as change goes. The best way to bring about change is try to help people see the world from points of view other than their own. And I am guilty of that.
So am I

Old 05-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #220
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
In most countries which are based upon one theology, that theology is more welcome than another. In most countries that do not base their government upon one theology (like the United States), diversity is welcome.

Your observation is only true because there are more "Islamic" countries than any other theological kind. And most of those theocracies came in existance as a reaction against the western-supported monarchs who ruled before. Your asking for democratic ideals in countries which we have never allowed or encouraged to be democratic.