Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2003, 09:57 AM   #201
Sween
im quite stupid

ill try and stop spamming. i dont as much as some people. Even i get a bit tired of sexual inuendo occasionally hope you all still read my posts
Old 05-16-2003, 11:00 AM   #202
Ruinel
Banned

I hope this board doesn't get too serious. But I agree that some of the spamming puts me off as well. And yes, I'm guilty of contributing to it, as well. I'm not the worst, but I'm not the least either. A little is fine, and the jokes are fun. But everyday, the same stuff back and forth over and over. It gets monotonous.

Artanis: I actually suggested some time back that the Moot allow a thread for people to talk about whatever... hence spam. But the idea was not accepted.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:08 PM   #203
support_your_local_elf
Enting

Location: Being one of the two lost souls swimmin in a fish bowl, year after year, runnin over the same old ground.. What have we found? The same old fears..wish you were here...
I agree. A spamming thread might take care of the problem. Then we could :a) spam all we want (In the spamming thread... if we had one) b) it would prob clean up the boards cuz people would spam there instead of on the mesage boards that aren't for spamming. And that'd be.... uh.... *runs out of adjectives* good.
-Phil Ochs

The fat hobbit KNOWS!!!
support_your_local_elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:12 PM   #204
miss_poet
Enting

Are we allowed to make a Spam Thread? I will if we are allowed. I don't want to get into more trouble with SGH. She already hates me enough and I am already in enough trouble as it is.
As I look into the sky and sit and watch the stars I think of you. I wonder if you remember me the way I was or the way I am now. I know I will always keep a place for you in my heart. Even though the shadows fall and the darkness enters you will always be with me. I remember one thing about you. Your eyes. I used to look in them like pools of blue water. I could stare at them forever like the dark blue sky on a cloudy night. As I sit here still watching the stars I think of you, but the one thing I remember is your eyes.
miss_poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 12:50 PM   #205
Sween
im quite stupid

A spamming thread will not work! the main reasopn for this is because where spamming is occuring it is more due to the nature of the threads things like previous poster are just spam inducing and serve no real purpose. Plus threads that set up any kind of poster to poser realtions like the most wanted (no one seem to rember the point of that at all) are gonna start spamming. Ill admit i have started some self indulgent threads b4 (gonna be a daddy 4 example)!

threads should not be about mooters they shouyld be about mooters opinions on the subject in question
Old 05-16-2003, 01:47 PM   #206
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
threads should not be about mooters they shouyld be about mooters opinions on the subject in question
That's a good point Sween, and I agree. Afterall, it is called General Messages, not Mooter Messages.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 02:05 PM   #207
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by miss_poet
Are we allowed to make a Spam Thread? I will if we are allowed. I don't want to get into more trouble with SGH. She already hates me enough and I am already in enough trouble as it is.
No, you are not allowed to start a "spam" thread, and FYI, my dear miss_poet, there isn't one person on Entmoot that I hate, including you. I thought we had settled our differences.

Let me just address this to all members. When we all joined Entmoot, we knew that spam was a violation of posting policies, the same as flaming, trolling, and so on. Although a certian small amount of spam and an occassional flame may enter into a discussion, which is uaually normal for most message boards, especially one of this size, it is not normal, or acceptable for spam and flaming to run rampant in defiance of posting policy or admin/mod authority. The rules are clear, and to allow a "spam" thread that would invite flaming and mindless discussion would be like Ben and the staff defying its own law, and saying "its against the rules, but go ahead and do it."

The only way that spam and flaming is going to disappear from this board and particularly from this forum is for the members that are doing it, to stop doing it, or otherwise face some type of adminatrative action eventually.

This has grown into a large community for a reason. It is a fun and friendly board. We all need to take steps to keep it that way.

End of lecture.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 02:18 PM   #208
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
FYI, my dear miss_poet, there isn't one person on Entmoot that I hate,
Yuhu . You hate ME! Or at least I annoy you a good deal

Teasing, of course.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 02:57 PM   #209
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Without falling prey to rose-coloured nostalgia ("things ain't what they were, y'know" ) I know I for one certainly don't enjoy the moot as much as I used to. For me, the most annoying thing is what Sween noticed:

Quote:
We don't talk about subjects any more, we seem to talk about each other. Maybe we all know each other too well, and have said all there is to be said about other things, but this situation won't change while threads deteriorate into gossip. I don't know if you know how off-putting this is for newbies. It's great being friends with all of you, but we won't make any nice new friends if we don't let them join in a little bit

Right, I'm off to open a serious new thread somewhere. Just have to decide what about
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 03:13 PM   #210
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

gotta agree with sun-star on that one. i miss the meaty heavy duty discussions that would occasionaly bubble up on here. the religious threads were always interesting. the old science vs. religion theme always seemed to work real well and you had real quality discusion (argument?) going on which is exactly what you want. the gay thread was a good one too for a while. and the good/evil thread. youre absolutely right its gotten kinda like a bizarre high school class (of various aged tolkien enthusiasts from all over the world) in that so many people know each other so well and the threads can EASILY break down into a massive inside joke essentialy. thats ok really but it WOULD put me off if i had just come here. i would probably think oh well this is a closed society they are all snobs here they arent looking for outsiders im outa here. and thats a shame. and good for you for puting you money where your mouth is on this and actually creating a new "meaningful" thread (if thats what you are doing) cause im getting sick of people who gripe and whine about the moot but dont bother doing anything. put up or shut up i say. we should all live by that.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:27 PM   #211
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Ok. I will try and be good (and not spam as much as I do..... though I'm not sure how much I do spam, but I know I do, and I am sorry). No, I will not try and be good, I will be good. And, I have tried to come up with new Tolkien threads (Frodo and Sam), and I do engoy reading these interesting discussions on Tolkien/LotR but the treads usually have been discussed or finished with, or taken off topic, and there is no room for oppions. And i know I haven't helped by making the "Entmoot wouldn't be the same if...." thread, but it was originally made to make people feel good, and to tell others how much you appreciate them, or thank them for what they have done. But, if oyu feel it is making entmoot decline, then you can close the thread I made.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 05:33 PM   #212
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
.... the religious threads were always interesting. the old science vs. religion theme always seemed to work real well and you had real quality discusion (argument?) going on which is exactly what you want....
And you never responded to my last response to your response to my post, so I guess ...... I WON!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 06:43 PM   #213
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
And you never responded to my last response to your response to my post, so I guess ...... I WON!!
hey! and which thread was this in? Im game.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 07:03 PM   #214
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

LoR, that's actually the only spam thread I like.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:35 PM   #215
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

It was in the good/evil thread (forget exact title) - I think I took about a week to answer your response to my post (terribly busy week with the kidlings), so no wonder you didn't notice it!

It might be worth digging up, I don't know - it was an interesting thread.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:49 PM   #216
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

lol........the decline thread is turning into a chit-chat thread

I was wondering if a wandering admin could give us a "proper" definition of spam.......cos it's pretty ambiguos in the Entmoot Rules

Quote:
Trolling (posting with the sole intent of causing trouble or insulting), spamming/flooding (posting the same messages over and over again or in multiple forums) and flaming (insulting) are not permitted. Advertising other sites is not allowed either, except for in one designated thread. If it pertains to the discussion, you can post a link; we just don't want you to start a thread merely to advertise your site, since this clutters up the board, and we're not paying for Entmoot to provide free exposure for your site.
I know wot it is, but I can see that newbies might be confused

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 11:53 PM   #217
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
Entmoot decline? It's not declining. We're all here
*not a spam its the truth*

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:54 AM   #218
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

The Spamming Thread.

Initially, I thought this might be a good idea. However, I think you need some sort of topic for people to fall back on. If you had a spamming thread, and some people took over it, other people couldn't very well join in the convo easily, or suddenly alter the flow of conversation. If you had a subject for them to post about, they could just begin by discussing that.

Also, how boring for the mods to wade thru all of that conversation. Or any other user who doesn't know the people who are discussing something.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 02:01 AM   #219
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I don't like the idea of having a spamming thread. Lots of newbies would post their first 500 posts there, just to get their custom title. They wouldn't post outside the thread until they had a satisfying number of posts.

Also, I try to refrain from spamming. I don't post ten messages in a row in the Anything thread for example.
I've decided to re-read all my Tolkien books this summer, so that I can sort of move from the General Messages forum to the more Tolkien based fora and post the majority of my posts there.

EDIT: Actually, with my Mud Wrestling thread, I was hoping to reduce the number of spammers. The contestants who spam too much reduce their chances of winning.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 05-17-2003 at 02:03 AM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 04:53 AM   #220
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

As I read this thread and thought the were talking about me (I know the were) I really felt guilty for spamming so much. I think I'll stop that now.
Although I have to disagree with Jonathan about the Anything post. I don't think that it is spamming in there, but it is interesting to ask other people questions and see what they reply and to answer questions.
And I can understand the problems of the others when they say that they don't like spammers. I don't like it neither. When I come to a thread again, but I don't find the original meaning in it again because of too much off-topic talk, I use to loose interest.
I really don't know how I became that horrible spammer. I'm trying to become better. Can you excuse me?