Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 10:50 AM   #201
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

That is quite the timeline if you have time to read it!
Old 05-14-2004, 01:23 AM   #202
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Blood of Heroes.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:55 AM   #203
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Blood of Heroes.
This is so moving. It gives me goosebumps whenever I watch it.

I will be posting new pictures to my twin towers website somethime. I went and took pictures of the rebuilding. They have the temporary PATH station up and things. I also have pictures of the memorial in St Pauls Chapel - which was miraculously saved and went undamaged even though it was right across the street from the Towers.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-10-2004, 04:19 AM   #204
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Mm.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.

Last edited by Radagast : 06-10-2004 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:34 PM   #205
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
Quote:
Blood of Heroes.
wow that brings back some some really awful images especially the one of the girl falling. words cant express how horrific it is to see someon jump out of a building like that.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Old 06-11-2004, 01:01 AM   #206
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yeah, it's a chilling watch ain't it? It's beyond comprehension that humans can still do these awful things to each other in this day and age.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:37 AM   #207
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Yeah, it's a chilling watch ain't it? It's beyond comprehension that humans can still do these awful things to each other in this day and age.
Whenever did you get the impression that this day and age was different from any other?

I found the video patronizing and little exploitative. But those obsessed with the tragedy or suffering from a delayed denial might find it useful.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:47 AM   #208
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
I found the video patronizing and little exploitative. But those obsessed with the tragedy or suffering from a delayed denial might find it useful.
You would probably understand more if you have been to ground zero or had you ever been to the Twin Towers? I don't consider what this region has to continously live through as being obsessed. WE really did live through this and many people in my area died from this barbaric attack.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-12-2004 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:24 AM   #209
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
You would probably understand more if you have been to ground zero or had you ever been to the Twin Towers? I don't consider what this region has to continously live through as being obsessed. WE really did live through this and many people in my area died from this barbaric attack.
Who said you or the area you live in is obsessed? I said people who are obsessed with the tragedy would find the video useful. A person would have to be obsessed for my comment to apply. I also said that people in denial about the importance of that day would find it useful. (I personably believe both catagories are quite small) Either way I was expressing my opinion about the video not the event itself or the people impacted by it. But thanks for being patronizing about what you think I undestand, you reminded me of the video.

P.S. I'm not saying you have to agree with my opinion of the video. Everyone heals in their own way. I simply don't like the video.

Last edited by olsonm : 06-12-2004 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:37 AM   #210
jerseydevil

Well I don't see how you think the video is patronizing or anything. You didn't really explain anything. Also - you seemed to say that people who like the video are obsessed with the tragedy - not just that people who are obssessed would find the "video useful".

Since I have a website dedicated to the Twin Towers - yes - I think you feel I am obsessed. So I sort of take offense at the way you worded your comment If I am wrong in what you meant - then I am wrong. And I wasn't being patronizing - I just feel your comment was directed at people who still dwell and think about 9/11 and about the Twin Towers.

Also - the video is not new - it was made in 2002 and I think the video helps remind people what actually occurred on that day. People seem to forget exactly what happened on that day - besides just the Towers coming down. Just last week we had the victims families again in my town to hear the rest of the flight messages and cell phone messages from the planes. To me this is an ongoing thing. Almost everyday there is something newon out local news about 9/11 or ground zero or about a new memorial going up.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-12-2004 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:54 AM   #211
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Well I don't see how you think the video is patronizing or anything. You didn't really explain anything. Also - you seemed to say that people who like the video are obsessed with the tragedy - not just that people who are obssessed would find the "video useful".

Since I have a website dedicated to the Twin Towers - yes - I think you feel I am obsessed. So I sort of take offense at the way you worded your comment If I am wrong in what you meant - then I am wrong. And I wasn't being patronizing - I just feel your comment was directed at people who still dwell and think about 9/11 and about the Twin Towers.

Also - the video is not new - it was made in 2002 and I think the video helps remind people what actually occurred on that day. People seem to forget.
Hmm, I guess my comment was a bit oblique. Sorry. If I thought people who dwell and think about 9/11 were all obsessed that would include almost everyone on the planet. I don't forget. I haven't forgotten Oklahoma City, the first WTC bombing, the USS Cole, etc. I found the accusatory tone of the video patronizing in a personal sense. If someone has geniuely forgotten the significance of that day, obviously they would find the video useful. This is what I meant by delayed denial.

To restate my opinion more clearly, I find the video patronizing and of little use to *me*. I do not claim this to be the case for others.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:02 AM   #212
BeardofPants
the Shrike

To each, their own, I guess. I'm the last person to be accused of being a patriotic yankee-wannabe, but I found the vid to be well put together, and haunting. Which is why I wanted to share it. Obviously, my feelings are that you'd have to have been under a rock to forget something like this, and as such, the message is to me, merely a poignant reminder of a terrible tragedy. As for what makes this day and age different from a few thousand years, well, not much, I agree. 'Twas just a turn of phrase, nitpicker.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:04 AM   #213
jerseydevil

This memorial was approved by New Jersey today - I have no idea how I feel about this. I don't really like it at all and this is the first time that I have heard about it. That just had it on the news today - first time.

What do you think of it?

Here are some articles...

http://jclist.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7

Opposition to 10-Story 9/11 Monument

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-12-2004, 03:12 AM   #214
olsonm
Elf Lord

I don't know. I guess it could work. Living in NJ, your opinion about it is more important. Though, I think most memorials are disliked initially.

BoP: I PMed you about that coment.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:26 AM   #215
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by olsonm
I don't know. I guess it could work. Living in NJ, your opinion about it is more important. Though, I think most memorials are disliked initially.
My opinion may be more important - but I was just curious as to what others thought. I don't live in France - but I think that glass pyramid monstrosity they put in front of the Louvre is attrocious and an eyesore though and takes away from the classic beauty of the place.

What I wanted was a replica of the Twin Towers - and when a person steps back so many feet - they would then fit in with the lower manhattan skyline and it would seem like the Twin Towers were still there- at the right perspective and size. It would give people an immediate idea of what was lost. They would then be able to actually judge the size of the Twin Towers. Right now the World Finacial Buildings look huge - 55+ stories - however when the Twin Towers were there 110+ stories - they looked small. I've heard people talking at Liberty State Park and they really have no idea how tall the Twin Towers were and many people looking at the skyline have a hard time telling where they were.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-12-2004 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:32 AM   #216
olsonm
Elf Lord

One of my high-school teachers once heard someone in NYC ask if Minnesota was a state yet. The point of this anecdote? Some people are just ignorant. However, your memorial idea is better than the one in the article.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:59 AM   #217
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
What do you think of it?
I'll be honest and say it's not my style. But then I have something against huge, expensive, modern "art"-structures. The idea is nice but I think it shouldn't have been so large, it's sort of a waste of resource and money and I think a smaller monument could be enjoyed more.

If I'm not mistaken there will eventually be a new office block built on ground zero, isn't it?
Old 06-12-2004, 12:23 PM   #218
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by EƤrniel

I'll be honest and say it's not my style. But then I have something against huge, expensive, modern "art"-structures. The idea is nice but I think it shouldn't have been so large, it's sort of a waste of resource and money and I think a smaller monument could be enjoyed more.
I don't really mind size and money - as long as the memorial looks nice. I think the World War II monument looks really nice - even though I was questioing it before they built it. I didn't want the Washington Mall to be ruined.

I just think it looks out of place - and to me doesn't say much about the event - other than sorrow that is.
Quote:

If I'm not mistaken there will eventually be a new office block built on ground zero, isn't it?
Well it's not really a new office block - they're just rebuilding ground zero. It will have a 1776 foot spire and then several buildings around that. The footprints of the Twin Towers will be preserved and are incorporated into the memorial design. I still think they should have rebuilt the towers with memorial space in the floors that the planes hit.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #219
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Rebuild the Towers- taller than before!
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:01 AM   #220
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

Quote:
Originally posted by Sakata
"Though a mighty army surrounds me, my heart will know no fear. Even if they attack me, I remain confident..."
AMEN to that..

'So choose today whom you will serve..as for me and my family we wil serve the Lord.'

" Now if you were a hot dog,and you were starving,would ya eat yourself? I know I would! First I'd smother myself in brown mustard and relish..I'd be so delicious!"

It's pronounced 'Hether', not 'Heether', biznotch!
Closed Thread