Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #201
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

And somewhere in the Netherlands, a snowman is missing his nose
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #202
Mari
Elf Lady

Not just one! :seek: You don't want to know how many of those things I had to scrape and grate for it >_<

Smelt great though. Looks cute too. I made a tree and some stars out of sugar on top of the pie for decoration.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #203
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person View Post
Wait, now what happened? I thought you did something to your foot. Did your shoulder rebel too?
I went tubing and was with 3 people on one tube - I was on the left side and ended up holding with only my right hand. I was determined not to let go - the foot wasn't quite healed and I was a little nervous that a wipeout would hurt the foot, so I held on like grim death ... and tore the rotator cuff, labrum and something else that I don't remember. Had major surgery, then complications (the shoulder froze and they had to put me under and tear it open - apparently this sounds like velcro ripping) and months and months of PT - one week I went 6 times! and typically for 2 1/2 to 3 hours a shot. Then down to 4 times a week, then mostly did 3 times a week. My insurance for PT ran out, and they did me for free for months, God bless 'em!! They knew me so well from all the foot PT! By the time I left, I had been there longer than half the staff!!

I'm still having problems - the doc says with the issues that I have, it typically takes a year and a half before you're feeling better. It's been a year now, so hopefully in 6 months I'll be better.

Quote:
Tch, I'm no stranger to shoulder damage. Minor tear in the AC, major dislocations and tears to the muscles, broken collarbones, broken scapula... You name it, I've done it.
Shoulder is no joke, for shure!

Quote:
It's only with the help of surgery, physical therapy and this stuff called KT Tape, the medicated kind, that I can even think of doing archery. Even so, I've had to shelf my 70# draw weight Bow of Yor to a rinky dinky 50# pull. So much for big game hunting now, anything larger than a whitetail, and I might as well be throwing a rock at it.
Wow - 70#!! Cool! You have a recurve, right? That's my favorite kind of bow - they just look so lovely. And do you name your arrows, or was that only me and ... oh, who was that other archer from long ago ... I haven't had time to name our newest ones, though - too much going on. But it's handy to know that Legolas pulls left, while Gandy shoots true

Quote:
As for enjoying it for the both of us, I'll try to get someone at the ranch to take pictures or something.
That'd be great!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #204
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
I went tubing and was with 3 people on one tube - I was on the left side and ended up holding with only my right hand. I was determined not to let go - the foot wasn't quite healed and I was a little nervous that a wipeout would hurt the foot, so I held on like grim death ... and tore the rotator cuff, labrum and something else that I don't remember. Had major surgery, then complications (the shoulder froze and they had to put me under and tear it open - apparently this sounds like velcro ripping) and months and months of PT - one week I went 6 times! and typically for 2 1/2 to 3 hours a shot. Then down to 4 times a week, then mostly did 3 times a week. My insurance for PT ran out, and they did me for free for months, God bless 'em!! They knew me so well from all the foot PT! By the time I left, I had been there longer than half the staff!!

I'm still having problems - the doc says with the issues that I have, it typically takes a year and a half before you're feeling better. It's been a year now, so hopefully in 6 months I'll be better.

Shoulder is no joke, for shure!
Shazam woman!!! Good grief, I've not gotten that much damage to the shoulder from any single MMA fight I've been in. Yet you did that to your self in one go, innertubing! I did (and am still doing) PT, though I've never gone to a clinic or insurance. I just go with my base buddies, and have them look at me on base. That and I was prescribed a buncha PT to do on my own and when I go to the training gym, so I got a buncha the same military sparring partners help me with my PT. Ever thought of having some of your Fam. learn the routines and help you with them?

Only reason I even could look at doing PT in any structured way was because of Ian and my other friends. It certainly helps.

Quote:
Wow - 70#!! Cool! You have a recurve, right? That's my favorite kind of bow - they just look so lovely. And do you name your arrows, or was that only me and ... oh, who was that other archer from long ago ... I haven't had time to name our newest ones, though - too much going on. But it's handy to know that Legolas pulls left, while Gandy shoots true
Yep recurve, Scythian style, so it was designed to be fired off horseback. Modern bows of any persuasion look horrendous, and feel horrendous too, when shooting; I've never liked the feel of a compound bow, though lord knows I've had the best of them. And the Archer of Old that you are thinking about is me indeed. I named my arrows hunting arrows, but only numbered my practice arrows. I go through them like water!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #205
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

yeah, I did quite the number on the shoulder We were going fast and everyone else had been thrown off, but I hung on, and got whipped around and hit some good waves ... oh well, at least I have an arm! Saw a guy the other day at the store without one ...

I definitely should start doing PT at home - let me know of some good exercises, if it's not too hard.

I've never shot a compound bow - they make a lot of sense, but I just don't like the looks of them. Do you make your own arrows? or partially make them? (put on fletching and tips)? I just buy them, but we don't go thru a lot - haven't shot much at all since our move to Arizona.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 12-26-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #206
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Soooo excited. Today I got a new violin shoulder rest, a new music stand, and two music books for violin.

One is a collection of World of Warcraft music, and the other is a collection of Irish tunes.

TODAY WAS SUPER RAD.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:06 PM   #207
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Super excited to see The Tourist tonight-any movie with Johnny Depp, especially one with him as a math teacher named Frank is bound to be great. And hilarious.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
EllethValatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #208
Jonathan

Way to go Tessar!
WoW and Irish tunes may be nice, but how about you learn to play some music from the LotR movies? There is a beautiful violin piece in TTT when Rohan is first introduced (part of the piece "The King of the Golden Hall" on the soundtrack).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllethValatari View Post
any movie with Johnny Depp, especially one with him as a math teacher named Frank is bound to be great. And hilarious.
Eh, lol?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #209
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I think the LOTR music is a bit beyond me right now. In fact so are the Irish tunes and the WOW Music... I can almost play them, but not quite. They're rated as level 2-3, and I've only been playing for about four weeks now, so... I'm probably still at level 1.

Well... I mean I can play them, but only with some squeaks. Right now I can only play scales without squeakin'.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #210
Jonathan

So... you're saying you're playing WoW as a level 1 violinist? Is there anyone in the Starting zone that you can ask for help?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #211
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Way to go Tessar!
WoW and Irish tunes may be nice, but how about you learn to play some music from the LotR movies? There is a beautiful violin piece in TTT when Rohan is first introduced (part of the piece "The King of the Golden Hall" on the soundtrack).

Eh, lol?
Johnny Depp has the amazing ability to take any character, whether normal and bizarre, and make it awesome. The mad hatter, willy wonka, sweeney tod, benny (Benny and June), Captain Jack Sparrow. 'Nuff said.
"We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil."
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #212
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Yay, Sweeney Todd! My brother and I have watched Company and Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, and are going to watch ST later; three Sondheim musicals in two weeks, oh yeah. Don't forget Gilbert Grape, John Wilmot . . . yeah, pretty much just awesome.

Except Edward Scissorhands. You can keep Edward Scissorhands, though.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 AM   #213
EllethValatari
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Except Edward Scissorhands. You can keep Edward Scissorhands, though.
I thought Scissorhands was also a great movie. You didn't like it?
— J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 01-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #214
Gwaimir Windgem

I had to scroll down way too far to find this. Mooters, are we THIS miserable? Has NO ONE been happy since New Year's Eve? Are we all too hung over?

That little scolding aside: One term paper down! One more to go. By Friday at 3.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #215
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You've got term papers? O_o Your school has started up again already? My semester doesn't even begin until the 10th.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 AM   #216
Gwaimir Windgem

No classes this semester, actually, just the thesis for me. The terms papers are for last term. We were supposed to do them over Xmas break, but I was too busy drinking gin and watching Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf with my brother. <.<

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #217
Mari
Elf Lady

I taught independently last Wednesday which was tiresome but really cool.
Yesterday I heard I have exams this coming Monday and my weekend is packed, but I was glad to learn that it's only 2 exams for which I am now at 81 points average out of 100, so there's no way I'll fail the class even if I do mess up. Happy

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #218
Gwaimir Windgem

Woohoo! Term paper no. 2 is done! Now I can hit the booze again!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #219
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Hah! Take that, you recalcitrant router! After three days and half a hour on the phone with the helpdesk, I've finally managed to make it work! Wheee!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #220
Jonathan

Congratulations! You must never ever change routers after this