Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #201
ElizabethAnnRoger
Elven Warrior

I believe that the Roman Catholic church is the true religion and the best way to get to eternal bliss. Its not the only way, but the best way.

Vive l'Empereur! Now and for always...

Elizabeth Ann Roger

ElizabethAnnRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #202
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Sane, I was raised a 'liberal quaker' - PM me if you really want to know more.

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #203
katya
Elven Maiden

I considered myself a Quaker for a brief period. In between Catholicism and agnosticism.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:07 PM   #204
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethAnnRoger View Post
I believe that the Roman Catholic church is the true religion and the best way to get to eternal bliss. Its not the only way, but the best way.
For you.

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #205
inked
Elf Lord

SHOCKINGLY ......

1. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (99%)
2. Eastern Orthodox (100%)
3. Roman Catholic (100%)
4. Seventh Day Adventist (90%)
5. Orthodox Quaker (85%)

Who'd a thunk it?!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #206
katya
Elven Maiden

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (86%)
3. New Age (84%)
4. Mahayana Buddhism (76%)
5. Liberal Quakers (74%)

Hinduism was #6, I identify with many aspects of Hindu religion. My whole belief system is so... vague though.

I will actually read this thread later and give my opinions later, by the way.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #207
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
SHOCKINGLY ......

1. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (99%)
2. Eastern Orthodox (100%)
3. Roman Catholic (100%)
4. Seventh Day Adventist (90%)
5. Orthodox Quaker (85%)

Who'd a thunk it?!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More RC than Protestant? I'm surprised by that!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #208
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Why is 99% greater than 100%?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #209
inked
Elf Lord

IR, I wondered the same thing! I suspect since the RC and Orthodox tied at 100% the system was gamed to tie-break in some odd fashion!

GW, way more Catholic (Orthodox and RC) than Protestant!

"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 10-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #210
Gwaimir Windgem

Oh, yes?

Then where did these come from...

"HOLY Scriptures containeth all things necessary to salvation:"

"Wherefore that we are justified by faith only is a most wholesome doctrine"

Coulda sworn it was the Articles of Religion...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #211
inked
Elf Lord

GW,
You are such a kidder!

See the Catechism of the Catholic Church as follows:

1) paragraphs 105 -108, 124, 143 faith

2) paragraphs 1987 - 1995 justification

3) paragraphs 65, 144-184, 1102 salvation

But, your quotation citation is correct!
Old 10-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #212
Gwaimir Windgem

Uh-oh, an Anglican quoting the CCC chapter and verse...you're not one of those silly Anglo-Papalists, are you?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 10-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #213
inked
Elf Lord

What, me, an Anglo-Papalist? Heaven forfend!

Actually, I am an Anglo-Catholic. That means I have a very high view of Scripture, the Sacraments, and the Church Catholic based on the reformation of the church in England but adhering to:
ONE Bible,
TWO Testaments,
THREE Creeds,
FOUR Councils, and
FIVE Centuries.

So you can see why I confused the test, I'm so Catholic it couldn't tell it I was Roman (100%) or Orthodox (100%).

Somehow though it figured I was Protestant, which originally meant protesting on behalf of the Bible and against the excesses of the church in the West.

Hence your "HOLY Scriptures containeth all things necessary to salvation:" and "Wherefore that we are justified by faith only is a most wholesome doctrine".

Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #214
katya
Elven Maiden

Question from World Religions class to all Catholics and others who use the Nicaean Creed (AKA Apostles Creed). What do you think of it? Do you believe it? Do you know it by heart/say it at mass?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #215
inked
Elf Lord

katya,

The APOSTLE'S Creed derives from the baptismal personal statement of faith and is variantly noted from pre-100 AD in Scripture (not fully developed, of course) through its final and current form in the 400's AD.

You may research it here: http://www.creeds.net/ under these subheadings

# Creeds in the Bible
# Ireneaus Rule of Faith
# Hippolytus' account of the baptismal service
# The Apostle's Creed

* Notes

The NICENE CREED was initiated at Nicea in 325 AD and completed at the Council of Constantinople in 381 AD - without the "filioque" clause that was added by the West later and in a non-conciliar fashion. This is a touchy issue between Eastern and Western Churches today, though most note it was largely a misunderstanding between approaches and modes of thought common to the cultures involved (with the Great Schism not resulting until 1045 with the usual political and culutral overtones and undercurrents).

You may research it here: http://www.creeds.net/ in the entries for

1) The Creed of Nicaea as approved by the Nicene Council (A.D. 325)
2) The Nicene Creed as approved by the Council of Constantinople (A.D. 381)
-- The Nicene Creed -- Constantinopolitan Creed -- Creed of 150 Fathers

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

The Apostle's Creed is the BAPTISMAL creed and the affirmation of personal faith. In the Anglican usage it is said at Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer daily and at baptisms (the Nicene Creed is omitted from the Eucharist when this occurs at baptism in the usage of the Episcopal Church 1979 Prayer Book because the entire congregation re-affirms their Baptismal Covenant in this liturgy).

The Nicene Creed is the EUCHARISTIC creed and the affirmation of personal and corporate faith. The gathered bishops at Nicaea and Constaninople affirmed the "WE BELIEVE..." as an expression of corporate faith and teaching and this is the "faith of the Church" but the "I BELIEVE ..." form is the standard Orthodox eucharistic creed, was the standard form in the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, is an option in the 1979 Prayer Book Rite I Eucharist (ECUSA), and also the Roman Rite.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But the affirmation of "I believe..." is a pledge that the individual adheres to, trusts in, relies on the faith of the Body of Christ Militant expressed as "We believe...". So the baptismal and eucharistic creeds are symbols of THE FAITH which the CHURCH individually and corporately adheres to, trusts in, and relies on ( the person and the Church faiths these things about God, Jesus, the Spirit and the nature of reality "visible and invisible" or natural and supranatural).

You could check out the Catechism of the (Roman) Catholic Church for a discussion of these aspects in paragraphs 185 forward. You could also find links to official websites of Orthodox Churches to guide you in their understanding as well.

Now, I think...
1) that perfomative intent is necessary to say the Creeds properly (you might not understand totally but you must mean that you intend to faith this and live this belief);
2) the Creeds are true literally, figuratively, metaphorically, and anagogically (they record history, are understood in meaning and application and spiritually ALL at the same time and not merely pious sentiments);
3) I pretty much know them by heart but I prefer to attentively read the words as I say them and hear them said by the assembly and stand in the heavenlies "where with angels and archangels and all the host of heaven we laud and magnify the Blessed Trinity" by confessing and blessing the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit; and,
4) I say them in word and deed because (to quote a contemporary Christian sung variant -) "I did not make them, they are making me" into what God intends me to become.

Enough? Too much? More?

Last edited by inked : 10-02-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: punctuation issues
Old 10-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #216
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

I'm gonna go with "Jedi"

Okay, so that's probably not true... but I'm not entirely sure what I believe. I don't really like organized religion as such, I believe in evolution and I believe the Earth is older the the Bible claims... so... yeah...

According to the quiz my top five are:

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (98%)
3. Mahayana Buddhism (96%)
4. New Age (95%)
5. Liberal Quakers (85%)

That being said... I don't practice anything... I just kind of observe and live my life the best I can...

"Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see."

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Empress_Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #217
katya
Elven Maiden

goodness, empress, you got all the same as me!

Thanks for the reply, Inked. I was raised catholic myself so I have a good understanding of the creed. I'm more interested in your personal opinion. That said, I will reply more fully when I am not on my iPhone.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #218
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Hehe... yes, we seem to have those kinds of similarities, Katya

*covets Katya's iPhone*

It would just go so well with my MacBook!

I was raised Presbyterian and I went to church some when I was younger... I really liked the church atmosphere, but I never had an active belief in god or biblical teachings...

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Old 10-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #219
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked View Post
What, me, an Anglo-Papalist? Heaven forfend!

Actually, I am an Anglo-Catholic. That means I have a very high view of Scripture, the Sacraments, and the Church Catholic based on the reformation of the church in England but adhering to:
ONE Bible,
TWO Testaments,
THREE Creeds,
FOUR Councils, and
FIVE Centuries.
I've heard this Anglo-Catholic formulation before. Why exactly do you stop after five centuries? I never understood that.

Quote:
Somehow though it figured I was Protestant, which originally meant protesting on behalf of the Bible and against the excesses of the church in the West.
Presuming that the Bible is convertible with Martin Luther, of course.

But seriously, most of the protested excesses in the West were rampant in the East as well, weren't they? The only one that comes to mind that wasn't is indulgences.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 10-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #220
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post

But seriously, most of the protested excesses in the West were rampant in the East as well, weren't they? The only one that comes to mind that wasn't is indulgences.
Well, if you think of it like this.... a lot of the protestations over sin and excesses within the Catholic Church that led to the Reformation were either monetary (so, yes, indulgences was a big part of that) or corrupt Catholic Church officials... namely ones that weren't following the whole chastity thing. Bishops, Cardinals, and even Popes were having illegitimate kids left and right (and typically seeing to their futures through good old nespotism)

So, simple way to solve that... no more vows of chastity for the members of the church!

That was the idea anyway...