Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #201
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
All I'n saying is he could give it to Harry but the Order could still use it.
I think I didn't read well before - you say that he'd give the house to Harry without writing it in the will?
I do agree that he could give the house to Harry and let the Order to use it, that's why it was there in the first place, but I don't think he would. Because of the reasons Fim pointed.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #202
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I said Harry was thrilled to inherit the house because it gave him someplace to go other than the Dursleys!!!!! Even though he was totally bummed about Sirius's death, I can see him being happy to have been honored and remembered by his godfather in such a special way. (Would it be better if I changed "thrilled" to "happy"? ) I suppose we should look in the books for some exact wording as to whether Grimald place actually belonged to OotP or Sirius was just letting them use it as headquarters. If the house was legally and officially OotP property, and no longer a part of Sirius's family estate, then I guess it could not be given to Harry.

Fim, I'm sorry you are upset (of course, you won't be reading this because you are coming here anymore....) but if you aren't here for all the discussion and changes/additions that the group arrives at, don't be so freaked out when returning to see that changes/additions have been made to the chapters you originally posted. If the group can't make changes as they see fit, what's the point? Anyway.....sorry you are upset, but I think we're doing a decent job.
Old 08-29-2004, 12:29 PM   #203
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Fim does have a point about some things. And that rant of his got me to thinking. We decided to have 35 chapters right? And we're outlined 20 so far, I think. That's over half of the way there, and we don't have much of a plot. And all the chapters aren't really connected to each other. They're just random stuff we're throwing out there. Like he said, it's what we want, its not really very realistic at all. But Lizra also has a point. This is a group effort and if the group want to change something, we will. They're only 'your' chapters in the sense that you came up with them originally. You can't regulate what we change in 'your' chapters. If you aren't happy about what we changed, you should have participated in the discussion. Now, I'll be happy to continue if we can fix it to make sense. I'm not going to go all out and desert you...

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:26 PM   #204
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Does anyone have any idea what the plot is actually going to be because if there is a vague idea we could base it around that. I always assumed it was going to be based on Voldemorts return and him and the OotP recruiting new followers as well as all the stuff at Hogwarts.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:12 PM   #205
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I think that the main plot is the Muggleborns disappearing. I mean, that's whats leading up to the climax. Like Harry's looking for them and he runs into Voldie some way or another. But as for most of the book, yeah, it could just be stuff about Hogwarts and Voldie and the OotP. Oh, and could we pleeeeease have some Ron/Hermione action?? I dunno if everyone here ships it and if you don't, I'll drop it, even though it is canon...but pleeeease?!?

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
Old 08-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #206
azalea
Long lost mooter

First, I'm not sure what is so confusing about my prediction. [okay, I know I'm an admin, but I'm still getting used to vb3 -- where is the spoiler button?]

After reading the description clue on JKR's site, I predicted that the man described is
related to Godric Gryffindor, because he is described as looking like a lion.
Voldemort is snake-like and he was the heir of Slytherin.
This guy is lion-like, so I predict that he is the heir of Gryffindor. And because the title is Half-Blood Prince, and we know the HBP isn't Harry or Voldemort, I predict that the HBP is this guy.

I don't know if I'm right on EITHER count. (I do like the idea of Harry being the Heir as well. Maybe he's related, but isn't the heir yet because this guy is still alive, and will be the heir when he dies. That could be written in as well.)

I didn't know if looking at the clue gave me a disadvantage or something, so that's why I said I hope I wasn't cheating by putting that in my chapters, since I know there's going to be some
lion-looking guy
, no matter who he is, because of the clue. Does that clear that up? [But after reviewing the thread, it seems that the intent was that we base this all as much on canon as possible, so I guess it is not cheating at all!]

Lizra -- It isn't fact that the HBP is also the heir of Gryffindor, but it is just my prediction. However, I have no problem if everyone disagrees and wants to change it. What do you think?

Fimbrethil: no need to leave! We can go back and post the chapters as very general (I'll try it below -- see what you think).
Also, if we can't agree on predictions, we could have just had a thread where each person posts his or her personal predictions for each chapter, then compare and contrast them. Maybe the rest of us simply misunderstood the intent of the thread, and thought it was just a fun game, not a serious undertaking.

I'd like to know what parts in specific you thought were "absurd." And isn't that what this was supposed to be? One person posts their predictions, and the others critique those predictions? I think we'd all like to hear what parts you didn't like and why. That's part of the game, isn't it?

Okay, backing up and making the chapter outlines very general. I am keeping some pretty much the same, with a few edits based on the fact that there was dispute, which pertained to some things that could be added when we get more specific:

Chap. 1: At the Dursely's. Harry whines some about being stuck there. We find out what it is Dudley saw. [edited specific] Harry's dream of Lord Moldy Shorts are renewed and he is [mad].

Chap. 2: Harry ponders on what Dudley saw and wonders why his life [has turned out this way]. Someone comes and takes Harry to the Order. We find out that Kreacher has left for Narcissa since he does technically belong to her. But Kreacher [is still bound not] to tell anyone anyhting about the Order [because of what was discussed in the earlier book, about his being bound to Sirius, etc.]

Chap. 3: Harry is filled in and fills in his friends [edited part about trying magic, since I think that was voted down as being illegal. Hermione repairs the mirror after Harry tells them about it, and he decides to give her the other one so he and Ron can communicate with her between their classes and dorms]. We find out who the new quidditch captin is [Harry?]. What his scores are and that [he] bombed his History of Magic OWL. [Harry's OWLS scores are as follows:

Charms- O
Transfiguration- EE
Herbology- EE
Defense Against the Dark Arts- O+
Potions- scraps an O
Care of Magical Creatures- EE
Divination- P
Astonomy- P
History oMagic - P

(Remember, it's Outstanding (O), Exceeds Expectations (EE), Acceptable (A), Poor (P), Dreadful (D) and Troll (T).)
Harry's classes this year are:

Defense against the Dark Arts
Transfigurations
Charms
Potions
........and......??????.......]

Chap. 4: Harry learns somthing about his family and/or Sirius he didn't know before. [edited part that we had decided had been settled in OOTP re: D'dore and Harry "making up."] We hear about what Lord Moldy Shorts has been doing. Possibly: We see Neville and learn (for a fact now) that his role has changed simply by the fact that his is invited to the Order Headquarters. Thus Harry gets a new friend (they were friends before but now they're closer becasue they're in the same boat.)
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:26 PM   #207
azalea
Long lost mooter

Chap. 5: They go get their books. They vist Fred and George's shop; the other charaters find out that it was Harry who gave them the money to start the shop. We also learn [they are definately done at Hogwarts]. Enter the new and even more evil Malfoy with new and more evil mother. They somthing nasty and/or threatning and rather ominous too [is this something that happens, or something that Malfoy does?]

Chap. 6: Sirius's will is read. Sirius made sure to update it and include Harry as his heir. It was very important to him. As a result, Harry inherits Grimmauld place. Hermione convinces Harry to allow Kreacher (the old house elf?) to go where he choses, and to take several posessions with him. Kreacher takes the screaming portrait of Sirius's mother and a few other odd items and goes to Narcissa Malfoy.

Chap.7: [They return to school] Professor Snape... starts the dueling club up again, and always seems to set up Harry, Ron and Hermione in dangerous, stressful duels. Things are getting quite touchy and personal between Slytherin and Gryffindor, and Prof Snape seems to thrive on it. [edited part that was voted down re: DADA. The students find out here who the prof is, but we will decide exactly who it is at a later date, when we start getting specific]

Chapt. 8: Harry's dreams are invaded by Voldemort, and Harry actually has a spell during the Halloween party where he starts spouting parsel tongue, terrifying everyone, and himself. Dumbledore instructs Mad eye Moody to pick up on Harry's occlumency lessons.

Chap. 9: Ginny Weasley has matured greatly over the summer, and Harry notices and begins to act awkwardly and blush around her. She doesn't seem to notice. We find out what's new with all the Weasley's, especially the relationship between Percy and the rest of the family.[edited part about Percy being a DE, although I kind of liked it myself! ]

Chap. 10: Several Muggle-born Hogwarts students vanish mysteriously and the staff suspects port keys have been planted on the school grounds. Where the students are being transported too is unknown. [there was a line added about this being kept hush-hush] Hagrid has his hands full trying to keep some of the creatures in the forest safe, and his giant half brother is suspected as a trouble maker.

Chapter 11- The MoM is making a full search for the missing Muggleborn students, but they are keeping it very secret, as it's not supposed to be widely known. Harry dreams about Voldie and the disappearences, so he goes to Dumbledore to tell him about it, but then he realises that Voldie will have known about the dream so it wouldn't do much good anyway.

Chapter 12- Hermione is trying to improve inter-House relationships because once agian that's what the Sorting Hat said. Ron doesn't like that and/or doesn't believe her and they have a big fight.

Chapter 13- Hermione suceeds in her plan. Blaise Zabini goes to the OotP side (Or says he does!). Ron doesn't trust him, but Dumbledore says he should. [It was revealed on the JKR site that Blaise is a boy]

Chapter 14- Hagrid takes the Trio to visit Grawp again. He says he's become much better behaved over the s. Amazingly, they find he has. They have a (semi) intelligent conversation with him, but it's like he was a small child.

Chapter 15- A Quidditch match, vs. Slytherin. Malfoy got a Firebolt. He keeps cheating so Gryffindor gets lots of penalty shots. Ginny became a Chaser and she's really good and Ron is still keeper, but he's improved. So have the new beaters. But most of the team isn't very experienced, they are tied with Slytherin. Then Harry gets the Snitch, but it was very close.

16 -- Harry meets the Half-Blood Prince, who is the Heir of Gryffindor. The heir has come to Hogwarts at the behest of Dumbledore to...? How about, he is an historian who is also gifted at Legilimens. He gives a bunch of backstory about Slytherin and parseltongue, etc. Then he enters Harry's mind to try to discover what can be gleaned about Voldemort and his plans. (I had no idea about this, but it seems like Harry ought to meet the title character at this point!)

17 -- Uh, this chapter can be about...*thinking* more details about missing students, the deepening relationship of the houses through the dueling club (which those in DA are using to help further their skills), and more innuendos involving Ginny & Harry, and more angry stuff between Ron and Hermione. All of this proves a distraction from another task -- helping Hagrid with Grawp (teaching, and also keeping him from being "exterminated" by the MoM for being a danger to the students).

18 -- Prof. [?] invites the students to do some... group spell of some kind to try to locate the missing students (I feel we need to start to wrap some of this together!). The chapter revolves around...students from the different houses working toward this goal ("our" Gryffindors, plus the assorted students from other houses who are part of the attempt at a coming together). Luna is really into this. Everyone is trying to come up with theories about where they've gone and how.

19 -- They have a Hogsmead weekend, and there Harry runs into the Heir of Gryffindor at (?), because that is where he is staying for the time being. He also meets Lupin there, who updates Harry on the goings-on at the house. Fred and George are having a slight drop in business, because there was a rumor started that one of their candies was causing the disappearances, although it is ridiculous because only Muggle borns are disappearing. (of which there have been four others since chapter 10.

20 -- The Heir of Gryffindor sends Harry his own pensieve in which to place his thoughts, so that he (the heir) may further investigate Harry's thoughts and memories involving Voldemort. Harry keeps messing up while trying to remove the memories, and hilarity ensues. Finally he succeeds in mastering it. He has some kind of run-in with Draco at some point in this chapter as well [edited specific part].

Now: I feel that I've made these general enough while still trying to get some "meat" into them. Now starting with chapter 1: WITHOUT GETTING INTO SPECIFICS!!!! who does NOT agree with what was included?
Go through each chapter, and post what you think should NOT be in, but do not ADD anything, just remove. We can add later.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:01 PM   #208
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I liked it better the way it was, Without specifics, it is (IMO ) bland and boring. I personally don't think there is a broad based "canon" in these HP books on a lot of things, the plots lines can go several ways, whichever suits Rowling's fancy at the time. So....I felt we could do the same thing with our outline. To just stay totally middle of the road and "safe" is so wishy washy! Yes Ron and Hermione, yes Chaudry, and lets hear all sorts of ideas on the final scene! That's the fun!
If you all want to keep up with the looking for the missing muggle borns and (finally finding them ) as the climax, where do you think they might be (someplace Chaudry is familiar with?, and he can offer essential assistance due to his familiarity with the local when he, the trio plus Neville and Luna locate the port key that is drawing the muggleborns? I could see Vol and Wormtongue there, and a battle) Chaudry should probably die in the line of duty (DADA professor )
Must our heir of Griffindor do something "half blooded"? Perhaps he could do something important to help Hagrid, Grawp, and the giants. Maybe other giants could be assisting DE's and Grawp and Hagrid and HoG could inspire a revolt causing great damage to the DE camp, with Voldemort unable to assist, because he is tied up with Chaudry and the DA's in the far east?
As I said, I think the books are pretty open, and the plot can go many ways. Obviously I am most interested in trying to write a book. If you all just want to predict then I should probably bow out and quit trying to have fun.

Last edited by Lizra : 08-30-2004 at 05:53 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:49 AM   #209
Telcontar_Dunedain

No one has thought of this but what if the HBP dies fighting Lord Moldy Shorts and the DE's.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 08-30-2004, 08:07 AM   #210
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh my! IMO, just about anything's "possible"! (except Harry dieing before the end of the 7th book, or any other "official" leaks Rowling has made) There would need to be a bit of a "catch" to justify such a thing I suppose.... (like Harry and the heir are somehow distantly related, or the heirs of Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw step up to continue the fight against the heir of Slytherin, or being the "heir" has nothing to do with bloodline, and since Harry pulled the sword from the sorting hat, he could become the heir after the lionman passes.... ) If the heir were to get killed, he should get to do something awesomely good and benificial for the OotP, to justify his death...imo!

Last edited by Lizra : 08-30-2004 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:23 AM   #211
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yeah like chop of Lord Moldy Shorts wand arm.

Old 08-30-2004, 11:18 AM   #212
Telcontar_Dunedain

Do you think we are ready for RtB's chapters

Old 08-30-2004, 01:31 PM   #213
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Not yet...Let's clear the air first.
If Fim still wants to play, (and we welcome him back if he does )we need more discussion about the topics he has problems with. If he doesn't, I don't see why we need to change it all back generic, just any parts that someone is "ify" about. Fimbrethil said he wasn't coming back, so if this is true, I see no reason to dump the original story we were all fairly ok with (nothing is going to be perfect! ) What say Azalea, Siri, Rad and you TD.... ?
Old 08-30-2004, 02:04 PM   #214
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yeah I think we are doing well for an outline.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:07 PM   #215
azalea
Long lost mooter

I thought Fim was a girl!

Yes, let's give everyone till tomorrow to weigh in on it, then we'll have our decision tomorrow night. I can go either way, BUT I will say this:

I think Fim meant that we (for the first stage) keep it very general to get the main outline and general plot direction THEN (when all chaps have been outlined) go back and fill in the details the same way (post, then "vote"). I think that makes sense and can accept that.

But if indeed Fim is gone for good, I guess we can keep it going the way we were, and just take it from the point where we were arguing my chaps until RtB gets his done.

So sayeth me.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #216
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Yeah, I really don't think Fim is coming back, even though I would love it if he did (oh and azalea, Fim is a guy) But as he's not going to be here anymore I say we should just keep going the way we did. As far as I know, he was the only one who had a problem with it. Maybe we should go back and put in more detail after we finish.

So...where were we before all this happened...?

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 08-30-2004, 04:58 PM   #217
Telcontar_Dunedain

Harry's got his own penseive and has just mastered it in chapter 20.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:05 PM   #218
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

Oh yeah...thanks, TD! So...um...I don't have a problems with it at the moment...

~Siri~
-Two Towers extended DVD

Old 08-30-2004, 05:40 PM   #219
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

It'll be ready tomorrow, hopefully.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:51 PM   #220
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I thought Fimbrethil was a girl too! I think it was that old avatar....Sorry!