Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #201
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Take the Lead Vey good. had me up dancing. Of course I was staring at AB the whole time as well

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 12-28-2006, 08:41 PM   #202
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Vey good? I would elaborate on that, but I can't think of anything that doesn't come out anti-Semite.

Anyway...

Charlotte's Web: I liked the old cartoon better, but that might just be nostalgia.
Museum: An entertaining little movie; Ben Stiller is funnier than he has been recently.
Apocalypto: Very good. Some historical inaccuracies, but I throughly enjoyed it.
Bells of St. Mary's: Great old movie. Not sure why it was labelled as "Christmas", though.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 12-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #203
Acalewia

Some of my keys are effed up. Very Good.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #204
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain Peregrin Took I
Happy Feet - A cute little movie. I love the Amigos!
Happy Feet
Was a well animated film. The penguins were very cute, especially the eyes. If you can, you should see this film at an IMAX theatre. It is an intense experience.

Some problems I had with the film:
  • Too long (IMO) for a children's film. (about 100 minutes)
  • The film seemed to be two films in one - 1st two-thirds primarily about Mumble fitting in with the other penguins, final third with a strong environmental message. A single focus would have been better IMO.
  • The sea lions were briefly introduced in one scene and never seen again. It would have been more interesting if they appeared again.
  • The orca whales made an odd appearance as well.
  • The ending seemed odd and a bit out of place.
  • Some of the songs did not seem appropriate for younger (and possibly some older) children. Maybe not quite PG-13, but definitely questionable IMO.
  • It would have been nice to see a wider variety of songs sung by the penguins. They seem to use more pop songs that you would hear in North America. (I guess penguins only listen to songs with English lyrics. )

I agree that the amigos were funny. (Made me think of a Cheech(sp?) and Chong(sp?) film.)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 12-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #205
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
i saw The Pursuit of Happyness on tuesday and i loved it! i also watched a movie called Colditz that was pretty good it was based on a true story of an escape
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
Old 01-01-2007, 01:31 AM   #206
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee

btw, Lotesse, I love your sig. I use that quote all the time!
Grazie! Oh, yes I absolutely love that film Kingdom Of Heaven, and the script is just the bomb - so much beautiful quotable stuff there...

What I've seen recently? Lately it's been all about the Italian Masters, antonioni, bertolucci, Rossellini, my favourite was L'Avventura by Antonioni - an absolute masterpiece, uterly peerless poetry on celluloid. A must-see for any true film buff.

Then, Out Of Africa - oh, Must See, Must See!!!! If you're anything like the romantic that I am, you will cry uncontrollably and happily and with such passion, seeing Out Of Africa, and it will cause you to yearn to go there and see it for yourself. Sydney Pollack is a filmmaking and directing genius, total genius. And all you classical music lovers out there will agree, the score by John Barry is phenomenal, and unforgettable...

http://dailynews.sina.com.cn/richtal...ter-africa.jpg

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 01-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #207
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Just seen FOTR and TTT (extended) with a friend...yeah, pretty cool. I got a running commentary, and it was fairly funny. Especially because I'm introducing my friend to LOTR.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 01-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #208
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Then, Out Of Africa - oh, Must See, Must See!!!! If you're anything like the romantic that I am, you will cry uncontrollably and happily and with such passion, seeing Out Of Africa, and it will cause you to yearn to go there and see it for yourself. Sydney Pollack is a filmmaking and directing genius, total genius. And all you classical music lovers out there will agree, the score by John Barry is phenomenal, and unforgettable...
Is that the one about the woman and the boat captian trying to get out of Africa without the nais seeing them? Or is that anouther movie?

Old 01-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #209
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

No, but very cool - sems like you've seen the Katherine Hepburn/ HUmphrey Bogart classic called African Queen, which is a phenomenal piece of filmatic artwork, but no, Out Of Africa comes along much later - it was released in 1985, staring Meryl Streep and Robert Redford, and I very highly recommend it. It - you will not get bored. You will be riveted the whole way through, and - well, it's stunning, and so moving, and if all you puritanical types are worried about possible - what was it called? "inappropriateness," well there's none of that in this film. No swearing, no violence (except when she fights the lioness, which was SO damn cool!!!) and no sex. The beauty of this film is in just the suggestions of what is needed to carry the story along, and in the story itself, written by and describing the experiences of Isak Dinesen, the Danish writer, when she went to Africa in between 1913 and 1920 or so, beautiful breathtaking Kenya and the Ngomo hills, trying to do her coffee plantation and fighting lions and fighting for the people she shared her land with, and fighting to possess (and ultimately losing at this) the one man she really fell in love with, and the scenery and feeling of this film will make you dream, literally dream at night in your sleep, of Africa, Africa, Africa...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 01-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #210
Gwaimir Windgem

Pan's Labyrinth - Now that was an AWESOME movie. Plus, by a wierd stroke of fate, they had the director there after the showing! Yay, Guillermo del Toro!

Apocalypto - Also good, not as good as Pan's Labyrinth.

Happy Feet - Meh. It had too much and (as previously noted) too repetitive music for my taste. Also didn't like the whole anti-religion thing.

I saw it with my family, and they grumbled about the environmental message afterwards, making me distinctly uncomfortable. Hey, I'm an environmentalist...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #211
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Pan's Labyrinth - Now that was an AWESOME movie. Plus, by a wierd stroke of fate, they had the director there after the showing! Yay, Guillermo del Toro!
Ah, you must have went to the showing where GDT made a special appearance. From what I'm hearing at del Toro's Message board, it's fantastic!

Last edited by Acalewia : 01-08-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #212
Gwaimir Windgem

In Westlake Village, CA. Boo-yah!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 AM   #213
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

just saw children of men. that movies leaves you thinking for a long time, kinda frightens me to think a world like that is a possibility
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:33 AM   #214
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Pan's labyrinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimli7410
just saw children of men. that movies leaves you thinking for a long time, kinda frightens me to think a world like that is a possibility
Yes it is possible, especially if you still allow your children to be vaccinated; these elites stated that they want the world population to be reduced by 90% eg Dr pianka a UT proffessor. If something like that happens to be sure it was by design buddy.

Pan's labyrinth, OMG; need I say more. Go watch it.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
Old 01-11-2007, 03:39 AM   #215
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
Yes it is possible, especially if you still allow your children to be vaccinated; these elites stated that they want the world population to be reduced by 90% eg Dr pianka a UT proffessor. If something like that happens to be sure it was by design buddy.

Pan's labyrinth, OMG; need I say more. Go watch it.

yea well u can definetley see the direction this world is headed for, i always see signs of like an orwellian society.

i heard about that pans labyrinth, looks insane, its only playing at couple theatres here tho so id have to go far to see it
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #216
Gwaimir Windgem

I went some twenty miles away, and it was well worth it.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 01-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #217
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

"North and South" - not the mini-series based on the US Civil War, but a BBC movie adaptation from a novel set in mid 19th century England. Some similarities to "Pride and Prejudice" - but different too - and various other issues included (like the emergence of labor unions in industrialized towns).

Interesting... and quite good.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #218
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I watched His Girl Friday last night, it was very good. It's an old movie, with Cary Grant. I also saw Happy Feet not too long ago, I didn't like it. It wasn't very good, except for a few parts.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 01-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #219
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I figured it wouldn't be. It just looked to...happy. And everyone was saying it was "cute". Can't trust that can we?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #220
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimli7410
i heard about that pans labyrinth, looks insane, its only playing at couple theatres here tho so id have to go far to see it
It finally arrived here friday. so I'll been seeing it soon, although its at a theatre i don't usually go to

Closed Thread