FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #201
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
Yeah... left us with the 2 sucky ones.

*bedgoesupbedgoesdownbedgoesupbedgoesdownbedgoesup bedgoesdownbedgoesupbedgoesdownbedgoesupbedgoesdow nbedgoesupbedgoesdownbedgoesupbedgoesdownbedgoesup bedgoesdownbedgoesupbedgoesdownbedgoesupbedgoesdow nbedgoesupbedgoesdownbedgoesupbedgoesdownbedgoesup bedgoesdownbedgoesupbedgoesdownbedgoesupbedgoesdow nbedgoesupbedgoesdown*

*smacks one of the teacup monsters*

BAH! This is insulting! Ringo and Paul are not sucky! They're great! Even though, John and George are my favorites

----

So anyway, remember how I made that 93% on my trig test?! I just made a 42% on my trig quiz! Yay go me!
And many miles be still to go,
But under a tree I will lie,
And let the clouds go sailing by.

twitter
Old 11-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #202
Mari
Elf Lady

42%... isn't that bad? *isn't getting it*

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 11-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #203
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

Yes, it is reallllly bad, I was being sarcastic. But, other people made that grade too, so whatev I guess.

twitter
Old 11-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #204
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Yay for irony.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #205
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

School should be free and voluntary.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #206
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

I agree, it should be. askldfhaskjfhaskj. *dreams of college*

twitter
Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #207
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

As opposed to free and compulsory or expensive and voluntary? Perhaps. Although there is something to be said for the added motivation to do well in class that paying through the nose for it gives.

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #208
Mari
Elf Lady

Too bad about the grade, Link. But you are still doing better than I ever did, if that is any consolation

I like school. Always have.
No, that's not true. I like learning.
I learned when it was free and I'm still learning now that I have to pay for it.

Last edited by Mari : 11-10-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #209
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran View Post
As opposed to free and compulsory or expensive and voluntary? Perhaps. Although there is something to be said for the added motivation to do well in class that paying through the nose for it gives.
Yeah, most of the people feeling that pressure are not eligible to take the tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I like school. Always have.
No, that's not true. I like learning.
I learned when it was free and I'm still learning now that I have to pay for it.
One of the nice things about college is that people get some choice in what they study.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 11-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #210
shesabrandybuck
Hero of Hyrule

I know, I cant wait for college.

twitter
Old 11-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #211
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I don't know, I agree that school should be compulsory, at least to a certain level. There are too many parents who won't (or can't) teach their kids what they need to learn to be successful in today's society. And the last thing we need is a more ignorant populace than what we have now.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 11-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #212
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
I don't know, I agree that school should be compulsory, at least to a certain level. There are too many parents who won't (or can't) teach their kids what they need to learn to be successful in today's society. And the last thing we need is a more ignorant populace than what we have now.
So your theory is that parents will let their kids fail? I mean, more than they do now?

How would you explain people who struggled to learn to read and write even when it was illegal?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #213
Mari
Elf Lady

Well, not everyone will, but there simply are people who couldn't give a fig about their children and how their futures will look like. And then there are people who care a lot.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #214
Mari
Elf Lady

Good night everyone! Tomorrow more studying to be done. *sigh*
Ah well, I hope I'll have a nice dream like two nights ago... *happy sigh*

Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #215
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

If school was non-compulsory it would be much harder for the children of parents who didn't emphasize education to fight that disadvantage. This way parents can't decide for their children that, say, staying home to take care of younger siblings is more important. They have to allow their children to go to class. Overall, I think it is a good thing.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #216
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Well, not everyone will, but there simply are people who couldn't give a fig about their children and how their futures will look like. And then there are people who care a lot.
How do you propose to tell them apart?

There are a lot of people I think make uninfomed choices...about all kinds of things. I see people drive down the street with small children and no carseats, for example.

I also see school buses drive down the street with small children and no seatbelts. And city buses. And taxis. If you, as a private person, were stopped on the street with no carseat, you'd get a ticket, at least. However, the other vehicles wouldn't.

The same is true of schooling.

Why is it assumed that schools have a kind of guarantee that parents don't?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #217
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
If school was non-compulsory it would be much harder for the children of parents who didn't emphasize education to fight that disadvantage. This way parents can't decide for their children that, say, staying home to take care of younger siblings is more important. They have to allow their children to go to class. Overall, I think it is a good thing.
And what about the students who aren't motivated by class content? The ones who spend the whole day in school smoking dope, for example.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 11-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #218
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

It isn't. What is assumed is that schools provide more opportunity than sitting at home with the parents can. It's a matter of breadth of resources, rather than quality. Unless the parents and teachers are working in tandem there is no gurantee at all of quality.

Quote:
And what about the students who aren't motivated by class content? The ones who spend the whole day in school smoking dope, for example.
That's a different problem. If a student decides to skip class because they aren't motivated then that is an active choice made by the student.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 11-10-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #219
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

If school wasn't compulsory, kids wouldn't go. Or let me restate, only the kids who already have been taught by their parents to value education would go. It would cause a greater divide between the upper and working classes, children would be exploited into working, staying home to take care of other children, etc., and the over all level of education in the United States would decrease significantly.

Why shouldn't the parents have the choice? Because quite simply, a good number of parents in this country are in no means qualified to be parents in the first place, or simply don't have the time to make reasoned decisions.

And the education of children is not only a family matter - it affects the economy, politics, and the entire future of our nation. A democracy cannot succeed without an educated populace - it just can't.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #220
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
It isn't. What is assumed is that schools provide more opportunity than sitting at home with the parents can. It's a matter of breadth of resources, rather than quality. Unless the parents and teachers are working in tandem there is no gurantee at all of quality.
Isn't that what I said? Parents have to do their bit...and most would rather have their kids taught by professional teachers than do it themselves.

Quote:
That's a different problem. If a student decides to skip class because they aren't motivated then that is an active choice made by the student.
I think it's the same problem. Forcing kids to be in school is not the same as forcing them to learn anything. Dropout rates prove that, even if nothing else does. SO the problem is "What can the government do to get our population the greatest access to education?"

Don't you think most teachers would rather have a class full of kids who WANT to be there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
If school wasn't compulsory, kids wouldn't go. Or let me restate, only the kids who already have been taught by their parents to value education would go. It would cause a greater divide between the upper and working classes, children would be exploited into working, staying home to take care of other children, etc., and the over all level of education in the United States would decrease significantly.
Pretty classist, don't you think? Upper class kids value education, but working class families don't. Wow.

Got any statistics to back that one up?

Quote:
Why shouldn't the parents have the choice? Because quite simply, a good number of parents in this country are in no means qualified to be parents in the first place, or simply don't have the time to make reasoned decisions.
Gee, maybe not. What are you planning to do about it?

Quote:
And the education of children is not only a family matter - it affects the economy, politics, and the entire future of our nation. A democracy cannot succeed without an educated populace - it just can't.
Complete agreement. And I put to you that most places had higher literacy rates before compulsory education was enacted.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Closed Thread