Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2003, 09:08 PM   #201
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
They do end up being moot - but maybe someone on here will be the next director for a Lord of the Rings movie and remember some of the complaints. I'll be waiting for another version and hopefully they will get it right. Jackson fell far short.
well, jackson is short.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:54 PM   #202
Root16
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
They do end up being moot - but maybe someone on here will be the next director for a Lord of the Rings movie and remember some of the complaints. I'll be waiting for another version and hopefully they will get it right. Jackson fell far short.
It's gonna be a loooong time before another director will be so ambitious to try and top this film adaptation of The Lord of the Rings.

Just outta curiosity, what film directors do you hold in high esteem?

PJ claims he cries when watching parts of Return of the King as well do members of the cast as well. I, for one, am psyched; truncated as the film is looking to be shaping up to be.
Root16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 09:58 PM   #203
hectorberlioz

Quote:
It's gonna be a loooong time before another director will be so ambitious to try and top this film adaptation of The Lord of the Rings.
not if we allkeep working at it.
it will not be a long time before anothre director tries lotr. know why? because im directing, and i will definitely top jackson's version.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-20-2003, 10:09 PM   #204
Root16
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
not if we allkeep working at it.
it will not be a long time before anothre director tries lotr. know why? because im directing, and i will definitely top jackson's version.
LOL - you're kidding, right?

Are you gonna use New Zealand?
Old 11-20-2003, 10:16 PM   #205
Ringil
Sapling

Quote:
Originally posted by Root16

PJ claims he cries when watching parts of Return of the King as well do members of the cast as well.
I imagine a lot of us are going to cry, but for a different reason.
Ringil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:24 PM   #206
hectorberlioz

Quote:
LOL - you're kidding, right?
not if everyone works at it, it wont be a joke.

Quote:
Are you gonna use New Zealand?
all around the world. maybe new zealand.
I know what you're going to say "what you're doing is expensive", well, we'll get help from lets say....
sam waltons daughters? . queen elizabeth? . once people (rich people) realize what a great script azalea and the crew have written, they'll be fighting to fund us.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-20-2003, 10:44 PM   #207
Root16
Hobbit

Quote:
not if everyone works at it, it wont be a joke.

all around the world. maybe new zealand.
I know what you're going to say "what you're doing is expensive", well, we'll get help from lets say....
sam waltons daughters? . queen elizabeth? . once people (rich people) realize what a great script azalea and the crew have written, they'll be fighting to fund us.
You guys have a script? How long have you been working at this? This is really exciting. Now what we need is to merge Jacksons' vision with your guys script and we'll have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:59 PM   #208
hectorberlioz

well, we have our own vision, just as good as (and better) than jacksons.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-20-2003, 11:16 PM   #209
Root16
Hobbit

Quote:
well, we have our own vision, just as good as (and better) than jacksons.
So y'all are working on a script?

You really wouldn't be able to release this for like 50 years methinks. No theater would wanna run another version of LOTR on the heals of this one.

But you guys have something of a script in the works?

Is there a thread or forum on here detailing the progress of this new film adaptation?

Last edited by Root16 : 11-20-2003 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:46 PM   #210
hectorberlioz

we have a thread for it.
we need to actually get together to actually...ahem..start.
azalea and I are discussing the script...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 11-20-2003, 11:53 PM   #211
Root16
Hobbit

cool, what's the thread called?
Old 11-21-2003, 12:24 AM   #212
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

I think it's "LOTR remake crew and plans" It's in this forum.

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:03 AM   #213
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevilActually I'm not all alone. There are more people who have problems with the movies than don't have problems with them. They may not have as many problems with them. So I don't know what you mean? Have you READ the full thread as well as the other threads?
Quote:
I haven't read too many posts on this board, but from what I have gathered, most people think the movies are good or great, while a very small handful find them boring, really bad or or just plain no good.
Below are a few links from some of the other threads around here. Some of them have some criticisms of what was done in PJ&co LOTR films.

If you are interested in seeing what a particular user has posted you could click on the members button on the top of each page and search alphabetically for the user. Select the user and then search the posts the user made.

What people think of Two Towers (*SPOILERS*)
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...539#post161539

Roman Circus
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...028#post165028

Good&Not so Good of FILM LOTR (so far )
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...487#post187487

Jackson & the Misuse of Time
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...746#post169746

Jackson & the Misuse of Time
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...761#post169761

The Critics' treatment of Tolkien & Jackson
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...682#post187682

Capturing Tolkien's Vision vs. A Literal Interpretation
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...185#post261185

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:35 AM   #214
Root16
Hobbit

Wow, thanks a lot Mithrand1r!

You read my mind.

I wasn't in the mood to search through the forums to find the meat and potatoes as it were.

Should be interesting to read all the different opinions.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:39 AM   #215
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Wow, thanks a lot Mithrand1r!

You read my mind.

I wasn't in the mood to search through the forums to find the meat and potatoes as it were.

Should be interesting to read all the different opinions.
You are welcome.

I really should use this feature of the site more often, instead of retyping what I or other people have said over and over again.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:29 PM   #216
azalea
Long lost mooter

I never said Jackson didn't love and respect Tolkien's work, I said that he wasn't as familiar with the details of the story as one would think he'd be, which led me to believe that it'd been a while since he actually read the book cover to cover. I don't remember where in the commentary he asked the questions (it was a few different times throughout), so I can't give you the exact quotes, but maybe someone who is about to watch it can make note of when they hear it and post it here.

[And although it's off-topic, I have to agree that we shouldn't look at our little project to be in theaters for several years. I think it would be LotR overload for the viewing public, and it would be constantly compared to PJ's version, whereas I'd like to see ours stand on its own.]
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:00 PM   #217
Root16
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I never said Jackson didn't love and respect Tolkien's work, I said that he wasn't as familiar with the details of the story as one would think he'd be, which led me to believe that it'd been a while since he actually read the book cover to cover. I don't remember where in the commentary he asked the questions (it was a few different times throughout), so I can't give you the exact quotes, but maybe someone who is about to watch it can make note of when they hear it and post it here.
My bad. I actually do remember what you're talking about. Never bothered me, though. Not everyone is an intellect and studier of Lore. I don't understand how anyone can be expected to remember every detail in the book. Anyway, everyone has their own expectations. As for me, mine were for the most part exceeded, with certain aspects of the final product falling a little short. Script mainly.

Quote:
[And although it's off-topic, I have to agree that we shouldn't look at our little project to be in theaters for several years. I think it would be LotR overload for the viewing public, and it would be constantly compared to PJ's version, whereas I'd like to see ours stand on its own.]
Ay, I hear ya.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:04 PM   #218
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I never said Jackson didn't love and respect Tolkien's work, I said that he wasn't as familiar with the details of the story as one would think he'd be, which led me to believe that it'd been a while since he actually read the book cover to cover.
Yeah - but I imagine he's been quite busy for casual reading. I expect he has worked very long days for years on end now - on this one project, and has all the different movie things to think about - and that's why he kept people close at hand whom he expected to have pretty thorough book-knowledge.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #219
Chipalote
Sapling

Gimli

Battle scenes make up a large percent of the movies, but there are also strong bonds of friendship shown too. I think that without even reading the books you can tell that most of the fellowship would be willing to die for one another, and I don't think that, even though unnessesary, the brief love scenes with Arwen "ruined" the movies. As for Merry and Pippin, even though they might not be everyone's "perfect images" of the characters they imagined, are great for the movies. Their sense of humor gives a lighthearted feel that the movies wouldn't have otherwise. I don't agree with everything PJ did, but I think we have to give him a little credit. I mean, even with all our critisism these movies had to be a
helluva lot of work to make, and I think he pulled it off a lot better than any of us could of.

Chipalote
Chipalote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 03:15 PM   #220
azalea
Long lost mooter

[I tried to post this yesterday, but got kicked off Entmoot for some reason. This is in response to the two posts above Chipalote's]:
Of course, and as I said for all I know it could be deliberate, that perhaps he didn't want the details of the book to interfere with his own ideas in adapting the book to film. I was simply responding to earlier comments.
That being said, while I could understand it if the reason for his not reading it was what I stated above, I don't agree with Root16's excuse that not everyone goes in for Lore, etc. being a valid one for not being intimately familiar with the work. For the person who takes on the direction of ANY movie adapted from a book, the minimum requirement should be a thorough and COMPLETE knowledge of the source material. If he then chooses not to read it as a way of clearing his mind in the interest of creating the movie, it is his option, but that intimate knowledge of the book is to me the baseline for making the movie. Phillipa Boyens was serving in the capacity of "primary adapter" and she and Fran Walsh seemed more familiar with the details of the book than PJ. I am NOT making any kind of "judgement" against PJ, just making an observation based on things I've heard him say, in the TTEE and elsewhere.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote