Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-31-2005, 05:33 AM   #201
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Do you think it is appropriate for an American preacher to urge people to take up arms, if our country is in a state of war?
Depends on the state of war. Of late the concept of war has been rather muddled.

Personally, and mind you, personally, I think that regardless of the preacher's nationality, anyone who claims to be a christian preacher should never call for people to kill. To take up arms to defend themselves is of course a whole other matter.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:21 PM   #202
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gee, the mullahs do it.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:44 PM   #203
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Depends on the state of war. Of late the concept of war has been rather muddled.
Good point.
Quote:
Personally, and mind you, personally, I think that regardless of the preacher's nationality, anyone who claims to be a christian preacher should never call for people to kill. To take up arms to defend themselves is of course a whole other matter.
I happen to believe that preemptive strike can be an intelligent way to go. If someone is planning to kill you, striking at him first means that you are less likely to be hurt yourself.

Of course this can definitely be abused. However, it also makes sense. I think Mr. Robertson was calling for a kind of preemptive strike, as he views Mr. Chavez to be a serious threat to America's security.

I think Mr. Robertson agrees with you though. He has said it isn't right for him to call people to kill, and he has apologized.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 AM   #204
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yep, ever since WJC, an apology makes everything ok. Sort of like the weekend of OJ created marathon chase news.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:57 PM   #205
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote from brownjenkins:

Life teaches us to be less harsh with ourselves and with others. ~ Master Po
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #206
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die

Last edited by Spock : 09-02-2005 at 01:05 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:30 PM   #207
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
So it's alright if people use their influence through preaching to incite other to kill as long as they kill bad people? *mind slightly boggles*
I don't think he was saying that, Eärniel. I think he was saying that although all types of killing are serious and grievous, we think the killing of someone who has done no wrong that they know of, and indeed doesn't even know his killer, is probably at the top of the scale of how awful killing is. If a Muslim came to New York and killed someone who knowingly raped and killed his daughter, we would feel differently about it - we would think it was "less bad" and/or "more understandable/justifiable" - even if we don't think he should have killed him.

(pardon my vague use of pronouns - let me know if I need to clear them up!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #208
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
I don't think he was saying that, Eärniel. I think he was saying that although all types of killing are serious and grievous, we think the killing of someone who has done no wrong that they know of, and indeed doesn't even know his killer, is probably at the top of the scale of how awful killing is. If a Muslim came to New York and killed someone who knowingly raped and killed his daughter, we would feel differently about it - we would think it was "less bad" and/or "more understandable/justifiable" - even if we don't think he should have killed him.

(pardon my vague use of pronouns - let me know if I need to clear them up!)
except that "justifiable" is all a matter of PoV... many poor muslims see their social situation in part as a result of exploitation by the western world and by the US, among other countries, supporting the leadership in many of their countries that is very far from democratic... you can argue whether this perception is right or wrong, but give the last few hundred years of history only a fool would say it is completely unfounded
Old 09-02-2005, 02:52 PM   #209
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, I agree that "justifiable" is a POV to a large extent, yet I doubt if ANY culture thinks killing someone that THEY think is innocent (by their standards) is just fine and dandy. That was what I was trying to show - our culture thinks the people killed in 9-11 were innocent, so that's why we reacted so strongly.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 09-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #210
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
except that "justifiable" is all a matter of PoV... many poor muslims see their social situation in part as a result of exploitation by the western world and by the US, among other countries, supporting the leadership in many of their countries that is very far from democratic... you can argue whether this perception is right or wrong, but give the last few hundred years of history only a fool would say it is completely unfounded
The fact that point of view is so closely bound up with justification is why I have often said I find many Muslim terrorists' behavior understandable. When I put myself in their places and impose upon myself the beliefs that they hold, I think the way they behave and the things they do are very logical. To many of them, they must also seem good.

Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #211
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
I happen to believe that preemptive strike can be an intelligent way to go. If someone is planning to kill you, striking at him first means that you are less likely to be hurt yourself.
I don't disagree with that but it is not, I think, the issue here. In the event that a preemtive strike against a foreign ruler becomes necesary then it should be done by gouverments, not called on by public religious figures whose own religion preaches against violence and striking at people. That's a little hypocritical in my eyes.

Quote:
I think Mr. Robertson agrees with you though. He has said it isn't right for him to call people to kill, and he has apologized.
Glad to hear it.

Quote:
I don't think he was saying that, Eärniel. [..]
I am well aware of that but that's not what it's about. Regardless of whether the to-be-gunned-down victim is innocent or guilty, it is NOT the job of public religious figures to abuse their influence and ability to reach many people to deal out such death and judgement! That is the justice's department or the duty of the international community, regardless of their often flawed nature.

My main point is that a religious figure, in MY opinion, has no place to dictate such judgement on political affairs or political figures. I quite agree with their right to announce crimes to the world and put injustices in the lime-light. But I DISAGREE with their right to announce that foreign political leaders should either be shot or forcefully removed. And seen the influence religious figures often have or can have on their followers, I would find such actions or demands totally irresponsible from their part.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #212
Rían

Quote:
I am well aware of that but that's not what it's about.
I misunderstood your objection, then - sorry

Quote:
Regardless of whether the to-be-gunned-down victim is innocent or guilty, it is NOT the job of public religious figures to abuse their influence and ability to reach many people to deal out such death and judgement! That is the justice's department or the duty of the international community, regardless of their often flawed nature.
If you would change "public religious figures" to "public figures", then I would agree with you.

I see what you're saying, and I imagine we agree to a large extent.

Old 09-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #213
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I would agree with you also, Eärniel. I said twice earlier on this thread that the main problem I had with what Mr. Robertson said is not so much what he said as that he said it. He can have this opinion. Talking about his feelings regarding Chavez in private with friends too is all right. But using his position in the way he did was out of place.

EDIT: However, I do not think that this issue is a matter where separation of Church & State applies.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-02-2005 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #214
Earniel

Quote:
I misunderstood your objection, then - sorry
No problem.

Quote:
If you would change "public religious figures" to "public figures", then I would agree with you.
Oh, it goes for public figures too, but somehow I think it's worse when done by religious public figures. Somehow I think they at least should know better (at least on our 'civilised' west).
Old 09-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #215
inked
Elf Lord

Actions speak louder than words:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...=1125831262546

...especially when the public does the acting!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #216
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

A part of the public, anyway.