Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2003, 01:05 PM   #201
elvendrummer87
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Jeepers! How sad; they ought to encourage you and suggest improvement if they see improvement as needed, but it's ridiculous to just stamp on someone else's inspiration. Luckily, even when I was writing at a very early age and had almost nothing in my books but fighting, people still encouraged me . Do you have any encouragement then, besides Entmoot?
my mom and uncles are as obsessed with fantasy as i am;so's my aunt. at least i get support on the home-front
elvendrummer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:08 AM   #202
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

From the poetry thread in General Literature:

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Well, here's a poem of mine. It got published in an anthology, and is copyrighted to my name, so I don't have to worry about anyone stealing it. It is a poem about Forevermore, the here-after in Lisman. It was in a way inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven" (Awesome author. Love his works to tiny pieces. )

Forevermore
by...wouldn't you like to know!

So fair and perfect is the blessed land of Forevermore,
That holy land, that fair place of pure and holy bliss.
There, tear will drop and blood be shed never, nevermore,
Nor the old ways of yesteryear will ever again be missed.

In this unblemished, undying land of true and perfect peace,
War and famine, plague and death, will everlastingly end.
Pray that when life so sweet and good at last flies from thee,
Undying soul to Undying lands will eternally ascend.

So far and so pure is the blessed land of Forevermore,
Where crystal tear will drop and crimson blood be shed never, nevermore.

This is my poem that barely got critiqued by my group.

A mom obssessed with fantasy? Must be nice...not that I'd trade mine!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 01:45 PM   #203
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I like to write fantasy stories. I also like to write some Lord of The Rings poems. You can see them...

Here
and here.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 02:36 PM   #204
Gwaimir Windgem

O.o

Didn't know about Lord of the Rings poems...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-27-2003, 11:04 AM   #205
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I do like your poem, Gwaimir. I just can't think of any comments at the moment .
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:43 PM   #206
Gwaimir Windgem

Thanks, Lief. You're not alone; only one person at my writer's group actually came up with a critique, as I can remember. The rest just said that they liked it a lot, and liked the imagery, etc. Which of course is just fine.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-28-2003, 12:11 AM   #207
Kalile
The Potato sack... er elf

Location: Sailing between the stars is a white ship with silken sails...
I start, and make characters... does that count?

I have about a gazillion plots in my head, and ten times as many complete characters. I can't get things done. Stupid schoolwork!
To run where the brave dare not go
To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star
Kalile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 11:18 AM   #208
Gwaimir Windgem

O, I know what you mean. Except I put my plots down in computer documents. But it's been a long time since I've actually written something.

BTW, Welcome to the Entmoot!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-30-2003, 04:45 AM   #209
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

hiya peeps......... i'm back.......... MWHAHAHAHAHAHA........

sorry...... haven't been on for over a month...... too busy..... too many stories in my head....... i've just started a new one and i've even started drawing the characters which i usually do at the end.......
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 07:41 PM   #210
Gwaimir Windgem

Update on magic system: I'm adding a form of magic inspired by what little I know/have heard of Kabbalah; a kind of "holy" magic based around the invocation of various names of Eltarn. I'm not sure if it will replace the more "neutral" magic in my world ATM, or if it will be in there besides it, like darker magicks. I'm also unsure whether it will be practiced by wizard-types, or monastics/specific order or orders of monastics.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-04-2003, 11:40 PM   #211
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

Bleh, I've never used magic in my fantasy writing. There's just too many rules in the wrong places and not enough rules in the right. Like, I don't see the point of putting up walls if someone can walk through 'em.

PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:40 AM   #212
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

LOL! That's a very practical view, Ninquelote.
Old 04-05-2003, 11:49 AM   #213
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Yep . Just a matter, then, of how much effort you're willing to expend upon that. I personally have found it well worth the effort, because I enjoy making up my magical system .

Yesterday while my younger brothers and sister were watching Star Wars, I lay on my bed in the back bedroom and made a battle strategy. It couldn't be just any old battle strategy though, because I had to eliminate the support sources for my queen. I had to accomplish several various things, and I may have to add a few scenes into the book. Not that I mind though, because they'd be exciting scenes, not boring-but-necessary ones.

Making that map was interesting, but I still have another thing to work out. I have to make a reason for a queen and her army to march out to a volatile country. She supports neither of the factions that are warring in that faction, but the primary reason would be chasing another queen and her army there. I need to think hard on that issue, still.

That was my most recent development. What improvements has everyone made of late to their plots, books or stories?

Or should I bother with asking yet? I haven't given up on that Writer's Forum, even though I can't see the progress. I'm getting impatient, not knowing if anything is going on.
Old 04-05-2003, 08:16 PM   #214
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I usually try to avoid magic. If I use a race that always uses magic, I find a way to render them magicless. Like I had a Drow character. Drow are known to use magic, and I used a bunch of Drow. So I made them situated on the surface, when the sun drained their power.

PREP- for hating Goths.

Old 04-06-2003, 02:20 PM   #215
Aralyn
FloraAzul

Location: Anywhere as long as there is a library in a one mile radius of here
I make my characters have limitations on thier magic. Like if they can stop time or whatever they have to have a certain necklace or something. BUt Magic is hard to work with (In stories I mean )

Yet many shall be amazed when they see Him-yes even far off foreign nations and thier kings; they shall stand dumb-founded, speechless in his prescence. For they shall see and understand what they had not seen before-Isaiah 52:15a

Civil War- 498,332 dead
WWI-116,708 dead
WWII-407,316 dead
Korean War-54,246 dead
Vietnam War-58,665 dead
Persian Gulf-372 dead
War on The Unborn=35,000,000 dead and counting
Aralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 06:46 PM   #216
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Aralyn
I make my characters have limitations on thier magic.
I think that's one of the most important things to have in mind when you deal with magic in stories. If your characters can use magic to solve every problem, then you have a very boring plot!

For example, I have a character who can control several elements, and he was getting out of hand. So I had to ask myself, what can't he do? And it turned out that he can't hurt a soul- it's not in his nature to attack living beings, not even a troll/orc/whatever who's attacking him. That made things more interesting, since it was harder for him to get out sticky situations.
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 02:37 AM   #217
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

That's a good idea. It's definitely useful to have pre-defined what your characters can or cannot do. Making things up as one goes along can be a tougher road . . . I'm on it right now .

I'm actually not making things up as I'm going along in the way of "inventing something whenever I need to," but I'm still working upon my thesis for magic. Rather than the specific magical powers, I'm working on the structure. I probably should also make a list for myself of what powers exist, and what varieties of magical items exist. That would be very useful, I expect.

Laurus, is your character that doesn't like to kill a different sort of race, or is it simply his philosophy against killing?
Old 04-07-2003, 12:37 PM   #218
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I remember I tried to incorperate magic into one of my stories, and my friend read it and told me that the rules of magic made what I did impossible.

What I did was, had a person never die because their soul was placed within an item. If the item was destroyed, then they were destroyed. However, one could tear up their body in as many ways as possible, but they wouldn't die. (Perhaps renderred immobile, but not dead.)

PREP- for hating Goths.

Old 04-07-2003, 02:59 PM   #219
Gwaimir Windgem

Well, that person is wrong. The rules of magic are entirely up to the writer or the creator. They would be very different in Middle-earth than they would be in Forgotten Realms, for example. And as your world is neither of those, the rules of magic would be up to you.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 04-07-2003, 04:33 PM   #220
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Laurus, is your character that doesn't like to kill a different sort of race, or is it simply his philosophy against killing?
A bit of both.

He belongs to a race I made up that has very close contact with nature. He understands the "languages" of all animals and plants, so he sees there's life in everything- and that's why he decides not to kill anything.
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote