Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-21-2003, 02:05 AM   #201
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Nope, I meant the American ABC. We're too lazy to do round the clock coverage here. We just get English and American coverage, with occasional Australian presenters interupting.
That's cool. I'm not sure if all the other networks are broadcasting round the clock - uninterupted. ABCNews I like the best anyway - so I'm glad they're doing it.

It's 1:00am here and Peter Jennings is still reporting. He's starting to look really tired though. I figured they would be letting him take a break for at least an hour or something.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 03:34 AM   #202
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Yep, we've been getting around the clock coverage from CNN, and late night coverage from ABC, and BBC (Unfortunately ABC and BBC are both on a bit late for me.) Well, all I can say is you'd better actually GET the bastard this time. At least make the casualties worthwhile. And I sincerely hope that America can stabilise the region, but I have my doubts given how this whole charade was pulled off.
figures
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 03:35 AM   #203
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Another update on the casualties, the believed 16 troops killed is actually now thought to be 12. Where it was 8 Britons and 4 Americans in the helicopter as of the latest release on it, again still sad but 12 is better than 16 I suppose
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:36 AM   #204
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
figures
Old 03-21-2003, 09:01 AM   #205
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I like CBC newsworld. Objective, competant accurate. No hysterical flag-waving. This war may turn into an utter failure but it may just destroy the Canadian alliance. So at least one good thing has come out of the war.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:32 AM   #206
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
I like CBC newsworld. Objective, competant accurate. No hysterical flag-waving. This war may turn into an utter failure but it may just destroy the Canadian alliance. So at least one good thing has come out of the war.
with the US?

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:47 AM   #207
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Another update on the casualties, the believed 16 troops killed is actually now thought to be 12. Where it was 8 Britons and 4 Americans in the helicopter as of the latest release on it, again still sad but 12 is better than 16 I suppose
still too many!
Old 03-21-2003, 09:51 AM   #208
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
still too many!
What - you mean to compared to the thousands Hussein tortures and kills? I don't think the people whose family members are executed by acid bath would think so.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-21-2003, 09:53 AM   #209
jerseydevil

Quote:
That's an ignorant statement. You'd rather have a militarized zone between our two countries???? Thyat is the most ridiculous statement I have ever read or heard.

Concerning "hysterical flag waving" that's your problem.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-21-2003, 09:59 AM   #210
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
That's an ignorant statement. You'd rather have a militarized zone between our two countries???? Thyat is the most ridiculous statement I have ever read or heard.

Concerning "hysterical flag waving" that's your problem.
have to agree with JD on this one! I have sky so we get a few of the american news networks (Fox and CNN allthough CNN does switch over sometimes to a smaller british based unit) and they do make for intresting watching. The style in which they present to the british is very diffrent they are less calm than the british but from my experience of them even in peace time they do like to dramatise the news a bit so thats just there way (esspecially fox)! I think the best news channel is sky news its very unbiased and unlike the BBC does not tend to dwell on just the bristh issues
Old 03-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #211
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
That's an ignorant statement
You like to use that word about other people a lot, don't you?

The Canadian Alliance is the main opposition party in Canada- though of course it might be a bit much to expect some people to actually know what's going on in a country that's, gee, what- a couple of hundred miles away from their hometown.

Always happy to alleviate ignorance

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 03-21-2003 at 10:39 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 11:21 AM   #212
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
You like to use that word about other people a lot, don't you?

The Canadian Alliance is the main opposition party in Canada- though of course it might be a bit much to expect some people to actually know what's going on in a country that's, gee, what- a couple of hundred miles away from their hometown.

Always happy to alleviate ignorance
No - I don't use that word a lot - just whjen I see ignorance. In markedel's post - Alliance was no capitalised - so it could have meant the alliance with the United States. If people hope this war destroys the alliance between the United States and Canada - then that is an ignorant statement - especially if they are Canadian or American. If I was wrong in what they meant - then I take back my statement. Just to point out too - I did not call markedel ignorant - I called the statement ignorant.

I will however admit that I don't know anything about Canadian Alliance "party" though. Maybe you can enligten me. I did look up some things on the web about them. It seems they're also against the Kyoto Treaty and feel that it will be bad for the Canadian economy. There website doesn't really seem to say very much on how they stand on the issues.

By the way - the ignornace concerning our two countries goes both ways. I've talked to MANY Canadians who thought that New Jersey was part of New York. Most Canadians also don't seem to know much about our government or states either. I'm also a little bit further from Canada than a mere couple of hundred miles, unlike the majority of Canadians who live within 90 miles of the US/Canadian border. How much do you know about the politics of New Jersey?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-21-2003 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:37 AM   #213
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Don't flame misunderstandings! Don't flame!
Old 03-21-2003, 12:07 PM   #214
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Oh! JD I don't mean the alliance with the U.S! (godspeed and good luck to the forces etc. etc.). God forbid! (and I mean that wholeheartedly and I don't want to think about _bad_ relations with the U.S!

I do happen to think the war is a bad idea (though a screw up would be far worse). It's just that as a capital L liberal (think a leftie democrat) the misfortunes of the Canadian Alliance-(think republican party, with a distinct Montana flavour) make me gleeful.

I don't want guntoting two-tier health care promoting, abortion banning, voucher school focused MPs running my country-and now it seems I won't need to worry about it. I can even vote for the NDP to protest Liberal arrogance and corruption.

If you're really curious about Canadian politics I can give you a short run through of the issues on the table. Though you sound like an Alliance voter yourself (I can deal with it )
and would disagree with someone who would vote for NDP every so often.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:15 PM   #215
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I really hope my post clears up such misunderstandings

And hysterical flag waving is my problem-I think it's merely a Canadian aversion to blatant patriotism. I actually think it's one of the admirable things about the United States-but it can get exasperating to a guy like me.

By the way the NDP is a left-wing party, social democratic in orientation, and my prefered protest vote to the Liberal party, which has run the country since 1993, and will likely do so until 2009 at least. Now back OT:

Who thinks Saddam is dead? I think that would be great. (see I'm sure JD and I agree on some things )
Old 03-21-2003, 12:24 PM   #216
Goatee
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Hi Goatee, welcome to Entmoot!
Thanks!
Old 03-21-2003, 12:27 PM   #217
jerseydevil

Quote:
I really hope my post clears up such misunderstandings
yeah - that clears it up. And yes - I would probably be more "Canadian Alliance" leaning by my quick look of their website. I am against the outright banning of abortion though - but I guess that was discussed in the abortion thread.

I am glad you're not for the eliminate of the US/Canadian Alliance. I'd hate for th US to feel it has to reactive the military forts in Buffalo. I personally like the fact that we live in a peaceful hemisphere where I can travel the entire continent without a passport or having to go through military check points like so many other countries (especially during the cold war between the East and West European countries).
Quote:

And hysterical flag waving is my problem-I think it's merely a Canadian aversion to blatant patriotism. I actually think it's one of the admirable things about the United States-but it can get exasperating to a guy like me.
Yeah - a lot of countries don't seem to understand it, but it's part of our heritage. We went thorugh a lot to form this country and we're proud of it (at least most of us)
Quote:

By the way the NDP is a left-wing party, social democratic in orientation, and my prefered protest vote to the Liberal party, which has run the country since 1993, and will likely do so until 2009 at least. Now back OT:
I sort of gathered that it was a very left leaning party.
Quote:

Who thinks Saddam is dead? I think that would be great. (see I'm sure JD and I agree on some things )
It would be the best thing if he is dead. Then we can stop the military action and finally help the people. Of course there would still be the Hussein supporters we'd have to keep down. But at least there would be less chance of civilians getting hurt or killed.

It is funny how he hasn't been on TV since the first bombing - and it seems as if most people feel that wasn't even him. Maybe he wants us to believe he's dead - but I'm sure it's just as likely that his government wants his people to believe he's alive.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-21-2003, 12:28 PM   #218
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
im sure the Iraqies would love us to think he is but im sure hes not. But is he planning his escape as we speak? I do think one thing though i doubt very much he will be take alive i think he will try and die a marters death
Old 03-21-2003, 01:17 PM   #219
jerseydevil

From CNN....
Quote:
Officials said they did not know whether the Iraqi leader was injured or killed in the massive attack, and sources acknowledge information so far is mixed.

"I've seen intelligence suggesting he is dead, intelligence suggesting he is injured, and intelligence suggesting he is just fine," said one U.S. official. "Welcome to the fog of war."

Some intelligence, however, suggesting the Iraqi leader may no longer be in full control has contributed to the Bush administration's decision to hold off -- at least for a while -- the much discussed "shock and awe" campaign of heavy aerial bombardment. That term comes from a book on military strategy, "Shock and Awe: Achieving Rapid Dominance."

Referring to the attack on Hussein's compound early Thursday, one U.S. official said "we gave them the shock, we may not need the awe."
Hopefully this is true and we won't have to do massive bombing campaign on Baghdad.

From ABCNews...
Quote:
Eyewitnesses saw the Iraqi leader being taken from the complex on a "gurney, with an oxygen mask over his face," Thursday morning (Wednesday night U.S. time), the officials told ABCNEWS.
Sources said there was clearly a U.S. observer nearby, watching the complex.

When asked today whether Saddam may have been injured in the attack, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said he wouldn't address rumors, but added ambiguously, "I don't know how Saddam Hussein is feeling today."

Intelligence sources also said there has been a significant lack of communications between Saddam and his military structure since the airstrike.

They are optimistic that the attack injured Saddam, though they are cautious about the extent.
I think with the rumours of Hussein being dead - Iraq would want to put Hussein on TV to prove the "lies". They did it moments after it was suggested Tariq Aziz had defected or left the country. Hussein is not going to want his "people" to question whether he is alive or dead for too long - since it is only his tyranical presence which keeps the Iraqi regime in power.

Also - look at how much they are trying disprove that their military is surrendering - yet they haven't had Hussein on TV to say that he is still alive. It seems a little strange.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-21-2003 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:48 PM   #220
jerseydevil

I want to know who comes up with the names for the military assualts. This one - "Exemplary Destruction" I think is out of line. That's the name of the bombing campaign I guess that is going on now.

Quote:
Anti-Aircraft Fire
ABCNEWS has learned that the U.S. military is ready to launch the next wave of major air and land attacks, with Baghdad as the primary target. U.S. intelligence sources told ABCNEWS that the operational name given to the second wave of airstrikes will be "Exemplary Destruction."

The new wave comes more than 24 hours after the "regime decapitation" first wave of airstrikes, which began after President Bush announced the start of "Operation Iraqi Freedom" on Wednesday night (ET).

U.S. intelligence sources tell ABCNEWS that "Exemplary Destruction" follows the failure of the first airstrikes to decapitate Saddam's regime, although there are doubts within U.S. intelligence circles about whether the Iraqi leader was hit in Wednesday night's airstrikes on Baghdad.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide