Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #201
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaster XK
I do this too. But editing before you have finished is, in my opinion, a bad thing.
Well, I sort of had to edit because there was one drastic change in some of my main characters that would have made it really confusing if I had forgotten to edit it later.

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 AM   #202
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain Peregrin Took I
Well, I sort of had to edit because there was one drastic change in some of my main characters that would have made it really confusing if I had forgotten to edit it later.
Fair enough. But don't you then get tempted to edit everything else as well? Not just the important change? Anyway, everyone writes in a different way, so anything I might advise might actually make it harder for you. So take advice with a pinch of salt, as they say.

Quote:
ok elf master need some tips ask me im writing a book maby you could give me some ideas i could use em go to www.homeschoolblogger.com
Sorry, I didn't understand, are you saying you want to give me tips, or you would like tips?

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #203
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Too many projects!!!
I'm co-writting with a friend on an untitled Novel. and I am kinda out of my element. The fantasy part i'm good with, but I'll be damned if she ain't making it into a fantasy romance. *sigh* well at least her mother in law owns a publishing company

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #204
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Well, I've started up ZAQ-1 again! Blast it. Carla came along and sent me an essay she needed some help correcting. The only mistake I found is that she sent me a perfect essay (besides a tendency similar to mine to make a highly descriptive list). Anyway, the topic of ZAQ-1 started up when I demanded that she write the Preface to my book. Having never told her about ZAQ-1 before, I had to describe it. Which got me interested in it.
Now what am I going to do? I'm adding a prologue. You know, a whole chapter in italics. Why? Well, I was reading the two chapters I do have (the others are currently locked in my hard drive, unsalvagable until I upload Microsoft Word, and even then it's not guaranteed), and I realized that ZAQ-1 is just arbitrarily brought up, without so much as an explanation as to what it might be. So, the prologue is going to now introduce a whole new cast of characters who will play a major role later in the book: the Imperator, an oppressive dictator with a humerous undertone, Mr. Zeak (an allusion to my cousin), and others whose names I have not yet determined.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #205
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
Too many projects!!!
I'm co-writting with a friend on an untitled Novel. and I am kinda out of my element. The fantasy part i'm good with, but I'll be damned if she ain't making it into a fantasy romance. *sigh* well at least her mother in law owns a publishing company
lol! I am 5 chapters from the end of my novel....but a new one has come into my head so I just have to write down the notes on that and start the research! Damned brain! Researching Welsh families, for a scandalous drama based in the 17th century.

Don't you find collaborations more difficult? Do you write chapters each, or write them together? I can always tell where the changes occur when people write a chapter each. Even in books by famous authors, like Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaimen, you can tell where there is a change in style either because one of them wrote the chapter, or one of them had more influence. Must be because they both have distinctive voices.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 10-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #206
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

We wanted it to have the same style. She's doing the acual writing and I'm supplying the ideas and proofreading and oing most of the research. We both have "control" over one of the main characters, so that might be the only difference we have.

Yes, XK, it is hard.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #207
ElvenLover
Elven Warrior

Location: I'm living in the only place teenagers are neither adults nor children, where we are free from the expectations of the world. This place is the insanity of our minds.
It has always been hard for me and my friends to write together. We are each better in one genre or another and each have different styles. I think that just by being able to begin that kind of project takes a lot and speaks volumes about your writing skill and flexibility.

I am currently stuck on a novel myself. I have most of it written, but i got to a point where nothing wanted to come out of my head! Very frustrating.

I'VE GOT A LOVELY BUNCH OF COCONUTS,
THERE THEY ARE ALL STANDING IN A ROW.
BIG ONES, SMALL ONES, SOME AS BIG AS YOUR HEAD,
GIVE THEM A TWIST, A FLICK OF THE WRIST,
THAT'S WHAT THE SHOWMAN SAID.

ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH.
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
SINGING ROLL-A-BOWL-A-BALL,
A PENNY A PITCH!
ElvenLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 PM   #208
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
lol! I am 5 chapters from the end of my novel....but a new one has come into my head so I just have to write down the notes on that and start the research! Damned brain! Researching Welsh families, for a scandalous drama based in the 17th century.
Yay! Scandal!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:24 AM   #209
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
We wanted it to have the same style. She's doing the acual writing and I'm supplying the ideas and proofreading and oing most of the research. We both have "control" over one of the main characters, so that might be the only difference we have.

Yes, XK, it is hard.
That sounds like a good way to do it. I once tried to write a story with a friend, and we split the chapters so she took evens, I took odds. That didn't work at all, because I fleshed out all the character profiles and names and chose places etc. We invented the people together but then I went and did more work on them. By doing that they became more my people and so she found it harder to write, and didn't. Hence no book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Yay! Scandal!
My thoughts exactly. What do people love? Scandal, and lies and twisty twisty plotness.

By the way, if anyone knows of any good sources on 17th Century life, I'd be much appreciative to hear of them.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 10-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #210
trolls' bane

Anyone here who wants to give me some ideas for ZAQ-1?
I would like:
-Character Names (preferably foreign, because I've got American and European names falling out of my hair.)
-Advice on:
--Artificial Fusion Processes: Proton-Proton, Carbon Cycle, or Triple Alpha?
--Names for planets: Because the G.H.I. sytem I introduced isn't quite working out.
--Architecture: Because I don't want 21st century architecture,nor do I want Frank O. Gehry to burn the town down with his highly reflective buildings.
-A complete list of all the stars you know (don't do all my work, but an offhand or just a little light research might help) that have confirmed or proposed planets orbiting them.
-A billion dollars (optional, but recommended).
Old 10-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #211
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

I can help you out with the names, and make them sound foreign. As for the other stuff...I really don't have expertise there.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #212
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

For planets, I usually turn to mythological names, since the ones in our solar system and other celestial bodies are named after gods and goddesses, I think it adds a bit of realism. Godchecker is a good site for names in that respect, as is Encyclopedia Mythica. It also pays to crosscheck them with this list:minor planet name list to see whether you didn't pick a name that is already given.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:08 PM   #213
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thain Peregrin Took I
Yeah, I do a lot of editing as I write, so earlier work fits with what I wrote, and to incorporate new ideas.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:23 AM   #214
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
For planets, I usually turn to mythological names, since the ones in our solar system and other celestial bodies are named after gods and goddesses, I think it adds a bit of realism. Godchecker is a good site for names in that respect, as is Encyclopedia Mythica. It also pays to crosscheck them with this list:minor planet name list to see whether you didn't pick a name that is already given.
Well, personally I try not to give them mythological names. To me, mythological names are a little worn out, and cause for confusion, so I try to give them nonsensical names or at least names that are uncommon.
I think the "older" stars, which coincidentally have an air of antiquity surrounding their names, I prefer to use the Prime, etc. system used in most science fiction. Betelgeuse Prime sounds much more appealing when related to a red supergiant that's destined to go supernova in only a few million years than New Mercury or Toothpickopolis or something.
Other than naming help, which I actually need more in relation to characters, I think I'm going to name planets with similar names to those of the cities in the Civilization game I've been playing for the last few weeks and the empire I've been creating therin. "Zeta Neapoli", "Tangernopolis", "Ilz" and "Elephanthorpra" sound much less overused.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm really expanding on Doctor Geldhoff. I think he's going to end up among the most important characters, Sigmund and Percy Russell (both subject to last name changes), and Captain Frederick Wellington (whose character I'm going to change to more resemble an old, rusty, spacer version of a cross between Captain Picard and Orson Welles).
Old 10-14-2006, 10:54 PM   #215
Curubethion

Ah, you've been playing Civ II: Test of Time, eh? That's got some interesting names in it, to be sure. If you want to see all the names they've got in there, here's what to do...

Go to C:/, then Program Files, then Microprose, then Test of Time, and finally Scifi. The "City" file will have the names of every city that can ever be built. There you go!
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 10-15-2006, 06:44 AM   #216
Elfmaster XK

I would be wary of directly taking names from a game like Civilisation. A lot of people have played that game, and your audience being a sci fi audience, that will include many of the game players. If they notice you have taken the names from the game they might not like it, and think you too lazy to invent your own.

Like if I read a fantasy book with places in it called Gondor and Rohan, or say Rondor and Gohan, I would immediatey notice and think they had stolen from a better story. Be sure to pick really obscure ones people are unlikely to remember.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 10-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #217
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I absolutely agree--and you have to remember that many people have fairly wide ranges of things that they read, and/or play on the computer.

Also it's just a little... hackish. I remember rolling my eyes and sighing when R.A. Salvatore called his elf prince Elbereth... oh please.

And when Robert Jordan had one of his characters call himself, "Mr. Underhill," in a scene as an alias... I almost screamed .

People catch these things, whether they're obvious or subtle .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:48 PM   #218
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

Quote:
Fair enough. But don't you then get tempted to edit everything else as well? Not just the important change? Anyway, everyone writes in a different way, so anything I might advise might actually make it harder for you. So take advice with a pinch of salt, as they say.
You're right, I am tempted to edit everything else that I've written. I probably will, too, so it fits in better with the way I write now. I'm seeing that my writing style is changing, and even though it's just a minor change, I notice it quite a lot, so that's another reason why I want to edit the whole thing, so it doesn't sound like someone else wrote it when it was really only just me. But I plan to (hopefully) not edit anymore after what I'm editing now. Thanks for the advice!

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:47 PM   #219
Curubethion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
I absolutely agree--and you have to remember that many people have fairly wide ranges of things that they read, and/or play on the computer.

Also it's just a little... hackish. I remember rolling my eyes and sighing when R.A. Salvatore called his elf prince Elbereth... oh please.

And when Robert Jordan had one of his characters call himself, "Mr. Underhill," in a scene as an alias... I almost screamed .

People catch these things, whether they're obvious or subtle .
Indeed...parallels are one thing, but when you've got a character named Moria...
Old 11-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #220
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

hey guys...
havent been around lately
i am writing a new book...this time im going to finish it!
its romace/ thriller kind of vibe and my friends say its really good and they cant wait till i finish the book lol... its very very desciptive too

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote