Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 04:55 PM   #181
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Strider

You sure? Cause the Numenoreans got it from the Elves, then fiddled with it a little - and I thought for sure that's where the hobbits picked it up...
Old 11-20-2003, 04:56 PM   #182
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

The Eldar?
Old 11-20-2003, 04:56 PM   #183
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
You sure? Cause the Numenoreans got it from the Elves, then fiddled with it a little - and I thought for sure that's where the hobbits picked it up...
I'm positive, there is a specific sentence that says it in one of the appendices
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 04:58 PM   #184
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast The Brown
The Eldar?

nope
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 04:59 PM   #185
Keith K
Elf Lord

Hmm, the Breelanders?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:01 PM   #186
Valandil

Strider

Should I have said... Dunedain?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #187
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Should I have said... Dunedain?
Indeed you should have, and it's Dúnedain

--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 05:04 PM   #188
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Just to quote it, under Appendix D:

Quote:
The Hobbit week was taken from the Dúnedain, and the names were translations of those given to the days in the old North-kingdom, which in their turn were derived from the Eldar.

--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 05:09 PM   #189
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

With all the respect, you should've say 'Numenorians' is correct, becuase he obviously didn't mean to the Numenorians that lived in Numenore. (Right?)
Old 11-20-2003, 05:11 PM   #190
Valandil

Strider

Sheesh - technicality... so LIKE you! And I don't know how to do the letter with those funny things over 'em... and they seem somehow quite "un-American" to me, you know!

OK - let's do another calendar question:

Numenoreans / Dunedain had 7 days in their week: In order, from Saturday thru Friday, what did each day honor?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:15 PM   #191
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
With all the respect, you should've say 'Numenorians' is correct, becuase he obviously didn't mean to the Numenorians that lived in Numenore. (Right?)

The passage doesn't say numenorians. It says Dúnedain...Whether they are of Numenorian decent or not, has nothing to do with it. The shire calendar wasn't changed because someone from Numenor came to Middle Earth to fix it for them, it was changed from the Dúnedain who were residing in the old Northern Kingdom...

--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 05:20 PM   #192
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
The passage doesn't say numenorians. It says Dúnedain...Whether they are of Numenorian decent or not, has nothing to do with it. The shire calendar wasn't changed because someone from Numenor came to Middle Earth to fix it for them, it was changed from the Dúnedain who were residing in the old Northern Kingdom...
And he didn't mean the Numenorians did. Stop being so technical, if you can.... so he wasn't precise... big deal! Correct him, but don't say that it's wrong (it wasn't precisely correct, not wrong.)

Yeah.. now let's stop arguing(sp.) here. Valandil ask a question!
Old 11-20-2003, 05:21 PM   #193
Valandil

Strider

Rad-t-Brown,

Look up, I already did!
Old 11-20-2003, 05:22 PM   #194
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
And he didn't mean the Numenorians did. Stop being so technical, if you can.... so he wasn't precise... big deal! Correct him, but don't say that it's wrong (it wasn't precisely correct, not wrong.)

Yeah.. now let's stop arguing(sp.) here. Valandil ask a question!
I'm not being technical, I am going by what the actual text says, jeez...

--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 05:32 PM   #195
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Rad-t-Brown,

Look up, I already did!
Ack! Sorry.

I'm not sure... not sure what you meant...

Sterrendei - stars, Sunnendei - sun, Monendei - moon, Trewesdei - trees, Hevenesdei - sky, Meresdi - sea, Highdei - chief days???
Old 11-20-2003, 05:46 PM   #196
Valandil

Strider

You HAD to peek for all that! It's OK though.

I'll say correct - my version calls the 'Friday' equivalent a "high day" - rather than "chief" - I'm going off memory here, but I think it refers to the Valar.

There's an interesting distinction in the "trees" day from the Elvish to the Numenorean, but we can save that for another trivia question one day! (and I won't count off for that one today!)

Oh - Dunedain... I guess I've generally considered "Numenorean" and "Dunedain" to be synonymous... maybe they technically are not though. I'll have to dig into the uses there - or do you know off-hand; are the "Dunedain" defined as "Numenoreans in Exile" - ie, after the Akabelleth (SP?)??? JRRT does so much duplicate naming of peoples and persons...

Radagast the Brown: your go!
Old 11-20-2003, 05:49 PM   #197
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Oh - Dunedain... I guess I've generally considered "Numenorean" and "Dunedain" to be synonymous... maybe they technically are not though. I'll have to dig into the uses there - or do you know off-hand; are the "Dunedain" defined as "Numenoreans in Exile" - ie, after the Akabelleth (SP?)??? JRRT does so much duplicate naming of peoples and persons...
There is no doubt they are of the same people, in Middle Earth they are hardly if ever called Númenoreans, they are referred to either the "descendants of Númenor" or "the Dúnedain" and things like that.

Basically this is the best way to explain it:

Dúnedain is a term used in Middle-earth for the Men of Númenor and (especially) their descendants in Arnor and Gondor...

--Linaewen
Old 11-20-2003, 05:54 PM   #198
Valandil

Strider

Hmmm... yes, I guess those in Umbar, for instance, were called "Black Numenoreans" (not from their skin tone - but from being of the "King's Men" persuasion - in rebellion attitude-wise to the Valar) - and never seem to be included in the term "Dunedain"
Old 11-21-2003, 06:54 AM   #199
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Dunedain = The Edain of the West, people of Nuenore and their descendants in Middle Earth. (as you said Dunedain)

Nuenorians = people of Numenore, (obviously).

So there is a difference definition.

The Black Numenorian = Numenorioans from the King Loyals and Eldar Haters, that settled in Middle Earth, especially in Umbar; enemies of Gondor. (from my index in LOTR)

Edit - Question: Who is Fram?

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 11-21-2003 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #200
Keith K
Elf Lord

Fram was the son of Frumgar. A northman from the vales of Anduin. He killed a dragon (Scatha) and kept the loot.
Closed Thread