Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-05-2004, 01:06 PM   #181
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Love your signature Nazgul King Squirrel, says pretty much all that's needed about the films
Old 03-05-2004, 01:15 PM   #182
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nazgul King Squirrel
[B]Genius? Define genius. In what was it genial?

OK, because I'm resting up so that I can make it to my appointed tests at hospital.

Genius: extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity

Genial:marked by or diffusing sympathy or friendlines

As for the rest of your nit picking, if you think directing is so easy and easier when doing three films at once (something no one has ever even attempted, much less done) then you're beyond hope in understanding any further explanation.

Last edited by Spock : 03-05-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 02:51 PM   #183
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spock
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgul King Squirrel
Genius? Define genius. In what was it genial?

OK, because I'm resting up so that I can make it to my appointed tests at hospital.

Genius: extraordinary intellectual power especially as manifested in creative activity

Genial:marked by or diffusing sympathy or friendlines

Ah yes, talking of nit picking, do not forget: ‘Genial’
1. [Obsolete] Pertaining to generation or marriage.
2. Mild, pleasant; comfortable; favourable to life or growth.

There, now it is complete, I believe.

Quote:

As for the rest of your nit picking, if you think directing is so easy and easier when doing three films at once (something no one has ever even attempted, much less done) then you're beyond hope in understanding any further explanation

Especially because it would imply an answer to an analysis, instead of making a, oh so witty, observation about the other’s intellect, isn’t it? Who knows, you may had find yourself forced to provide logical arguments to back your position…

Yours is a rather faulty logic, Mr. Spock, you see, the level of difficulty of the work does not imply the superior quality of the result. In this case, it is good, entertaining, but where’s the genius? What defines it, the movies not the process, as the mark of genius? I can’t see it, and you provide rigorously no fact to support it either.
But I guess that anyone that is not capable to see the, oh so obvious, genius of PJ must be a moron, even those who actually considerer it “just” a good, entertaining, movie, if a lousy adaptation. That, or you were having a tantrum.

QUOTES:
“We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies. What we were trying to do was to analyze what was important to Tolkien and to try to honor that. In a way, we were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves. “
PJ

“Obviously we're taking this incredible novel and we're adapting it into films, and I think the film is the important thing. “

Peter Jackson on The Today Show, December 5, 2002
Nazgul King Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #184
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgul King Squirrel
The adaptation?
Definitely not. If the movies were good, as light entertainment, they are a very mediocre adaptation. Just considering the scenes he did film, more than one could easily be better by simply staying close to the original, and I doubt that, for the most part, it would really need further extension of the lengthy movie duration. Plus, not all the scenes that PJ added were truly needed, were they?

So let’s be logical, Mr. Spock:
If we assume all PJ wanted to do was movies loosely based in the LotR, then he did well, but then, not truly genial, however, if the plan was to make a serious adaptation, than it was a failure at that level.

It was not a genial work. It was a bold undertaking, well accomplished in certain levels, reasonable in another, and a failure in a crucial one.
i can see some of your point... though not quite so black and white... i see it more as a matter of degree... the film certainly could have been adapted better in many ways (and this does not necessarily mean "more true to the book")... it also could have been a lot worse

calling it a absolute faithful adaptation would be wrong... by the same degree, saying it was just "loosely based in the LoTR" is a bit too far to the other extreme

and it is a serious movie in a way that a lot of adventure movies are not... i have a 5 and 9 year old who were obviously harry potter fans... yet both of them were much more excited about watching (and rewatching) LoTR movies... and for kids who had never read the books, i was surprised at how well they grasped some of the more important themes surrounding the ring and the quest

on the genius thing... few films and even fewer directors rise to that level... kubrick is the only one that comes to mind as having more than a few works of genius
Old 03-05-2004, 04:08 PM   #185
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Logic cannot overide denial.

This is not logic it is my opinion.

Apparently no one is allowed to have an opinion save yourself.

Re-read your own PJ statement for support of intent.

Last edited by Spock : 03-05-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #186
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i can see some of your point... though not quite so black and white... i see it more as a matter of degree... the film certainly could have been adapted better in many ways (and this does not necessarily mean "more true to the book")... it also could have been a lot worse

calling it a absolute faithful adaptation would be wrong... by the same degree, saying it was just "loosely based in the LoTR" is a bit too far to the other extreme

True, making a good movie does not imply following the book in all details, or even the need of remaining true to it. One thing has nothing to do with the other, I believe. And yes, I do believe it was a mediocre adaptation, but not the worst possible, far from it.

On the matter of the “loose adaptation” I would point out that I was defending that, if it had been his intention to do a loose adaptation, then the result was quite reasonable, meaning that the issue of the faithfulness of the adaptation would be irrelevant, and only the quality of the resulting movie would have any importance.

Quote:

and it is a serious movie in a way that a lot of adventure movies are not... i have a 5 and 9 year old who were obviously harry potter fans... yet both of them were much more excited about watching (and rewatching) LoTR movies... and for kids who had never read the books, i was surprised at how well they grasped some of the more important themes surrounding the ring and the quest

Glad they did ; still, I believe that what transpires is a dim reflection of the original, and what it could have been if there was intention of making it more ‘serious.’ As it is, it is rather ‘lighter’ and action oriented than it could have been, if that was the intention.

And, btw, I do enjoy a good action or adventure movie

Quote:

on the genius thing... few films and even fewer directors rise to that level... kubrick is the only one that comes to mind as having more than a few works of genius

Precisely, Kubrick was a genius, we agree there, again. And, as I said, I recognise PJ boldness and initiative. But I fail to see the end result of his work as being truly a masterpiece, as say, 2001, but then, not everyone is a Kubrick after all.
]

QUOTES:
“We made a promise to ourselves at the beginning of the process that we weren't going to put any of our own politics, our own messages or our own themes into these movies. What we were trying to do was to analyze what was important to Tolkien and to try to honor that. In a way, we were trying to make these films for him, not for ourselves. “
PJ

“Obviously we're taking this incredible novel and we're adapting it into films, and I think the film is the important thing. “

Old 03-05-2004, 06:04 PM   #187
Nazgul King Squirrel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Spock
Logic cannot overide denial.

This is not logic it is my opinion.

Not that you will listen, but

You will notice that:

You failed to give any evidence supporting the genius of PJ.
You refused to explain why my arguments are wrong in your opinion
You used insult as argument

Logic? Denial?
Can’t deny what you didn’t argue in the first place.
Cannot see the ‘logic’ of insult.

Quote:

Apparently no one is allowed to have an opinion save yourself.

Re-read your own PJ statement for support of intent.

Truly?
Who called the board as “the unrealistic board," because not all chare your opinion?

Who chose insult as an argument against the one with a different opinion?

How tolerant are those attitudes?

I presented my opinion and why I have it, you reacted with intolerance, not arguments. If you want to point intolerance, I suggest you look at yourself.

QUOTES:
PJ

Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 PM   #188
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Please stay on topic.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:20 AM   #189
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
man, its been weeks and im still in a happy daze about it! It deserved to win! Contrary to most people's opinion, IMHO i think that PJ did a fantastic job. so, he didnt stay true to everything, bbut i think that he stayed very true to the spirit of the book, and imo, thats all that counts.

Having someone to blame is nearly as good as having a solution to the problem

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you habe their shoes. ~Frieda Norris
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #190
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
Pailan! The Oscars wouldn't ever be the same without you.
Thank you, crickhollow. Ever since I closed the toy store and became a stay at home dad for my twins (now 18 months) I don't get out or online as much as I used to....

Still I find myself smiling to see that LotR did so awesome at the awards. These films have raised the bar for future flicks in this genre. And as adapation of Tolkien's work - of course it's not word for word - but much of the spirit and heart remained to more than satisfy this long time Tolkien reader. Here's to PJ et al, and the $2.5 billion in world wide gross reciepts (for all 3 movies).... kudos!

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #191
Kalimac
Enting

**Contrary to most people's opinion, IMHO i think that PJ did a fantastic job. **

Actually, the majority of people agree with you. It's just a minor contingent that find fault (which is fine, they make discussion more interesting).
Kalimac is offline   Reply With Quote