Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2003, 03:45 PM   #181
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
....Gandalf cries out above the noice, "this is the moment!"...
No, Gandalf cries: "Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom."

then: "The realm of Sauron is ended! The Ring-bearer has fulfilled his Quest."

Great lines! I hope they stay as written.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:00 PM   #182
SamNotSoWise
Hobbit

I don't have the books in front of me to check my accuracy, but I remember a scene, I believe in RotK (the book) where Pippin is with Denethor, and D says something to the effect of "Sauron will never come forth to do battle himself until the ultimate end to gloat over his completed victory." (That's my paraphrase.)

He said that to explain why he (Denethor) did not go out to battle himself, but rather sent all, including both his sons, to battle for him.

But I must say, PJ's changes haven't bothered me that much. I've read the books over 10 times (although it's been a while now), and I'm a huge Tolkien fan, but I've tried to appreciate the movie as a story on its own, apart from my knowledge of the books. I've rolled my eyes at some of his changes, like the over-use of Arwen, the Aragorn-back-from-death bit, to name my two least favorite changes, but overall I've enjoyed the movies and I look forward to RotK. All three will be in my video library, I promise you!
SamNotSoWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 07:49 PM   #183
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

You are correct, SamNotSoWise. This sentiment is expressed twice in LOTR Book 5. (I forget which chapters) Once by Denethor and once by someone else.

If my memory is good, In a one book volume of LOTR p763 is where one instance of this sentiment occurs and the other occurs later in the book.

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:06 PM   #184
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
[B]Well, I know this is OFF TOPIC... but... in response to what you are saying...
I didn't have trouble with FotR until I got to Tom Bombodil. He just irritated me, still does. All that jolly old Tom singing down the path... gah! Far too light and jolly for me. I still have trouble reading through it. *notices all the glares from the Tom B. fans* oooookay.... moving on....
-GLARES VERY LOUDLY AT RUINEL-

Quote:
...FotR and The Sil were his best works...
FotR is not one of Tolkien's works. He wrote the Lord of the Rings as one book (with six parts): the publishers divided it.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:59 PM   #185
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I feel the same way (about the movies) as you, SamNotSoWise! Looking forward to RoTK, and (will) enjoy watching the DVD's at home. I'm glad they were made, though they are not perfect.
Old 05-17-2003, 09:14 AM   #186
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
No, Gandalf cries: "Stand, Men of the West! Stand and wait! This is the hour of doom."

then: "The realm of Sauron is ended! The Ring-bearer has fulfilled his Quest."

Great lines! I hope they stay as written.
I didn't have the book in front of me when I posted what I wrote. I knew he said something incredbily moving.

I totally, one-hundred percent agree with RÃ*an. Those lines have just got to be in the film.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 10:08 AM   #187
Ruinel
Banned

Akallabeth at the Moot

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I agree with you there, especially when they come to this board. It's quite annoying.
yes, well... ... I wasn't going to say that, but now that you've said it, I feel I'm free to say: it annoys me to no end.

Quote:
Originally posted by 'Death Wish' Gwai
FotR is not one of Tolkien's works. He wrote the Lord of the Rings as one book (with six parts): the publishers divided it.
I had read that they were sent to the publishers at separate times. The copyrights are different years. Intentions or not, they can be purchased as separate entities. That is the meaning of my post. And, I still like that part of the story best....

Quote:
I totally, one-hundred percent agree with RÃ*an. Those lines have just got to be in the film.
GAH! *stumbles from shock*
Quote:
Black Breathalizer assented as one constrained, yet in his secret thought he received it gladly, for it chimed indeed with his desire... but his heart within was filled the more with envy and hate.... Yet such was the cunning of his mind and mouth, and the strength of his hidden will,...he had become closest to the secret counsels of the True Tolkien Fans; for flattery sweet as honey was ever on his tongue,.... And seeing the favour that he had of the Others all the 'Moot Members began to fawn upon him, save one alone, Ruinel The Faithful....
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAA!!!!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:54 AM   #188
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Oh, [edited], Ruinel.

Definately have to agree with ya there, Rian, those lines HAVE to be in there, or I'll *insert random act of violence in the general direction of Wellington.*

edited by azalea due to a complaint.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:19 PM   #189
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh yes! Those lines are so wonderful! I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it!
Old 05-17-2003, 01:47 PM   #190
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
I didn't have the book in front of me when I posted what I wrote. I knew he said something incredbily moving.

(mwahahaha! Behold the power of a 'bliss ninny' )

I think they have a fairly good chance of being in there. Many of the lines in the movie are straight out of the book, altho sometimes given to different people. Those lines have the same 'feel' as some of the lines from the book that were apparently deemed acceptable and were put into the movie. PJ and co. often have a good feel for some of the dialogue, IMO, and many of the best lines in the book are in the movie. Those lines really are incredibly moving, as BB says.

Actually, I think the lines might be in, but perhaps mAragorn might say them (which would not be out of character, IMO) - what do you guys think?

(ps - funny story, Ru!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 01:58 PM   #191
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
... altho sometimes given to different people. ...Those lines really are incredibly moving, as BB says. Actually, I think the lines might be in, but perhaps mAragorn might say them (which would not be out of character, IMO) - what do you guys think?
ACK! You know how I feel about Arwen getting Glorfindel's lines. Bad decision by PJ! *sulks*
Quote:
(ps - funny story, Ru!)
I'm so glad you get my humor.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:42 PM   #192
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Quote:
Actually, I think the lines might be in, but perhaps mAragorn might say them (which would not be out of character, IMO) - what do you guys think?
OH NO!!! Please tell me that idea came to you in a nightmare....

Viggo is bad enough -- never really liked him as Aragorn -- but to give him Gandalf's lines....

I think it may be time to re-read the books and try to forget about these "movies."
Old 05-17-2003, 05:28 PM   #193
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I predict the lines will be in and will be said by Gandalf.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:45 PM   #194
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
I predict the lines will be in and will be said by Gandalf.
....seeing as they are some of the greatest lines in that part, i have to agree with you.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:11 AM   #195
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by LuthienTinuviel
....seeing as they are some of the greatest lines in that part, i have to agree with you.
When LT and I agree on something, that means you can bank on it!
Old 05-27-2003, 12:30 PM   #196
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
When LT and I agree on something, ...!
*shudders* I find this very disturbing. O.O I'm not sure if I will be able to sleep at night knowing this.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:41 PM   #197
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
*shudders* I find this very disturbing. O.O I'm not sure if I will be able to sleep at night knowing this.
a sure sign of the apocalypse...
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 09:18 PM   #198
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
a sure sign of the apocalypse...
duck and cover everybody... the bomb is on its way.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:12 AM   #199
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Damn. Now if only I'd paid more attention in those classes! Now where's me duck?
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 01:10 PM   #200
Ararax
Elven Warrior

now what i heard was after sauron knocks aragonr down jar jar binks pulls off his mask and everyone finds out that its actualy isduler, then he kills sauron who pulls of his own mask and is revealed to be jar jar BINKS!