Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2003, 03:43 PM   #181
Sween
im quite stupid

I was very young as well think i was in 1st year of junior schoopl or summet like that. i rember getting up early to watch the morning news i love planes and all that stuff
Old 03-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #182
azalea
Long lost mooter

Crickhollow, you just taught me something new -- I had never heard that before!
Lol, I bought French (*gasp* can I say that? :dressing at the store today, and my husband put some on his salad and said as a joke "I just put freedom dressing on my salad." I didn't get it at first. I think that whole thing is silly.
When the Gulf War started I was in college and I started a journal about it. I can't remember exactly where I was though. What time did it start (Eastern)? I think I was at home. I'll have to find that journal.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:54 PM   #183
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Crickhollow, you just taught me something new -- I had never heard that before!
The Walking History Trivia Book strikes again!
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 03:55 PM   #184
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I can't remember where I was when that war actually started, but I remember one night during it, my next door neighbor and I couldn't sleep, and we stayed up until 3am watching it on CNN, and my neighbor at that time was expecting her first baby, and her water broke right there in my living room while we watched the war. Very memorable.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 04:26 PM   #185
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I remember living in our first home, strolling down to my gardening buddy's yard. Her husband (who usually jokes about everything) walked up and said " We're gonna rip Sadam Hussien a new a**hole! He was very excited! I just stood there with my mouth hanging open. I'd never heard such a "colorful expression" before. Too macho for me, I guess! Anyway, this time around, his son is in the air force, in the thick of things. I'm sure he's very proud, but also very nervous.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:17 PM   #186
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I was 7 and I honestly don't remember watching the war at all. I must have (my grandparents had a time pull out map on the war up for years afterwards) watched it at some point though, I can't imagine not have. I was in grade 1 at the time though so I wasn't exactly politicized.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:23 PM   #187
Goatee
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
just curious.... anybody remember what they were doing when hostilities first broke out during the first gulf war?
. . .
I was there, in Saudi Arabia.

I was a 19 year-old Private in the Army back then.
Old 03-20-2003, 08:15 PM   #188
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

So far we have found one weapon that is illegal and that Iraq "didn't have". Under the UN, they have outlawed Iraqi Scud missiles. Today Iraq fired at least one known Scud missile into Kuwait.

I think this is just the beginning of us finding things Iraq wasn't supposed to have and "didn't have"...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 08:23 PM   #189
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

I heard that one person is dead and 14 injured. Is that our guys or theirs?
Old 03-20-2003, 08:56 PM   #190
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

That is the Iraqis. But they've bombed since then, I think.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 11:13 PM   #191
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

Were you answering my question,GW? cause yeah it was Iraqis i think. But i just found out that the helicopter that went down had no survivors. 16 of ours dead.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:25 PM   #192
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

First coalition casualties are confirmed It is now confirmed, 12 Americans and 4 Britains are the first casualties in the war It happened in a helicopter crash that went down due to Mechanical Failure in Kuwait just miles from the Iraqi border
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 03-20-2003, 11:30 PM   #193
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hi Goatee, welcome to Entmoot!
Old 03-20-2003, 11:59 PM   #194
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

ABCNews just reported that the tomorrow's Washington Post is saying that all evidence says that Hussein was in the building which was targeted yesterday. A senior official said that he did not have enough time to get out. His sons were also in that building when the building was blown up. They feel Hussein was at least seriously injured because medical attention was dispatched to that building in the name of Hussein.

Also - an expert who is used to identify whether Hussein is using doubles or is actually him - says that the person giving the speech yesterday was a double.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-21-2003 at 12:00 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 12:09 AM   #195
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
First coalition casualties are confirmed It is now confirmed, 12 Americans and 4 Britains are the first casualties in the war It happened in a helicopter crash that went down due to Mechanical Failure in Kuwait just miles from the Iraqi border
They now just reported that it was 12 Britains and 4 Americans, the initial report was backwards, but either way it is still a horrible accident

--Linaewen
Old 03-21-2003, 12:11 AM   #196
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
ABCNews just reported that the tomorrow's Washington Post is saying that all evidence says that Hussein was in the building which was targeted yesterday. A senior official said that he did not have enough time to get out. His sons were also in that building when the building was blown up. They feel Hussein was at least seriously injured because medical attention was dispatched to that building in the name of Hussein.

Also - an expert who is used to identify whether Hussein is using doubles or is actually him - says that the person giving the speech yesterday was a double.
I think it was a double as well, I mean I don't have access to analyze everything, but to me it just didn't look like him. The guy who gave the speech was a bit chubbier and older looking to me. Plus a few creases on his face were different than other pictures I've seen...

--Linaewen
Old 03-21-2003, 01:10 AM   #197
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

It's very sad that we have our first causalities.
Ragarding Hussein, they were saying yesterday he had a very distinct voice, so it would be relativly easy to work out it was him or not. Althought they said that the Hussein uses a teleprompter when using a speech, so I would suspect it wasn't him.
Here in Australia we're on at least 3 of the 5 free to air channels have round the clock coverage of the war - we're getting CNN, ABC and BBC coverage. Good luck to all the troops, especially the Aussies, please make it home safely.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:32 AM   #198
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
Here in Australia we're on at least 3 of the 5 free to air channels have round the clock coverage of the war - we're getting CNN, ABC and BBC coverage.
I assume that's ABC as in Australian Broadcasting Company. I'm watching ABC - American Broadcasting Company. They're having continuous commercial free broadcasting right now. I'm really surprised by that.

By the way - those rolling bridges are the coolest things.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-21-2003 at 01:34 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 01:39 AM   #199
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Nope, I meant the American ABC. We're too lazy to do round the clock coverage here. We just get English and American coverage, with occasional Australian presenters interupting.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 03-21-2003 at 01:40 AM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:04 AM   #200
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yep, we've been getting around the clock coverage from CNN, and late night coverage from ABC, and BBC (Unfortunately ABC and BBC are both on a bit late for me.) Well, all I can say is you'd better actually GET the bastard this time. At least make the casualties worthwhile. And I sincerely hope that America can stabilise the region, but I have my doubts given how this whole charade was pulled off.