Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #181
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
nyah *sulks* hate being wrong
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”

Last edited by TwirlingString : 03-30-2003 at 04:00 PM.
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 04:15 PM   #182
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

You sure it's the 1950s? I thought it was the 40s.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 05:28 PM   #183
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Eh, somewhere in there....should go look it up and be sure...

Heh heh. Sorry, yeah. Got a bit muddled there. Coney's link a few pages back clearly states that it was the 1940s.

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 05:43 PM   #184
Gwaimir Windgem

Coney rocks.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-30-2003, 09:50 PM   #185
Gwaimir Windgem

-meanders along, whistling innocently-

BUMP!

-dashes out of the thread-

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-30-2003, 11:43 PM   #186
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Dare I ask what that was about?

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-30-2003, 11:51 PM   #187
Gwaimir Windgem

Bumping it back up to the top. Just a desperate attempt to keep the religious knowledge thread alive.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-30-2003, 11:53 PM   #188
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Ah, yes.

More questions? More arguments? C'mon, people, keep the knowledge flowing!

....I meant that, you know....

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-30-2003, 11:53 PM   #189
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
And since the actual practice of Wicca began in the 40s, it's easy to weed out people who truly follow it and those that are just in it since it's become a type of fad lately. Point in case:

A Wiccan girl at school and I were discussing (borderline arguing) about religion. She said something along the lines of how "Christianity has only been around for two thousand years, while MY religon has been around since nearly the beginning of time." Hmm...
Old 03-30-2003, 11:57 PM   #190
Gwaimir Windgem

Hmph, that's not accurate. I doubt it even is according to "the myth" that Coney's link spoke of.

Just curious - Did you set her straight on the matter?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-30-2003, 11:59 PM   #191
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Yes, and then she asked if I had been researching up on her since I found out about her religion (we'd been friends for awhile). Bah, hardly. A year before I had been extremely interested in Wicca and nearly converted, but unlike the fad followers I had done a lot of research on the religion.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:02 AM   #192
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by TwirlingString
I heard that there were no pictures of the devil until the church ran into the wiccans and then suddenly everyone knew what he looked like...and there are a LOT of wiccan gods, the Green Man and Pan are just some of them.
The "traditional" view of devils and demons (red, goatee, horns, pitchfork and tail) are hardly accurate. Lucifer, or Satan, was described as God's most beautiful angel. I think elsewhere there is mentions of him being a musician and having pipes (like a pan flute), but I could be wrong and messing this up with something else.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:20 AM   #193
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
The "traditional" view of devils and demons (red, goatee, horns, pitchfork and tail) are hardly accurate. Lucifer, or Satan, was described as God's most beautiful angel. I think elsewhere there is mentions of him being a musician and having pipes (like a pan flute), but I could be wrong and messing this up with something else.
Yep, the Anointed Cherub.

Yes, you're right there, though I'm not sure what the reference is, let me look it up...

Ezekiel 28: 13-15

Quote:
Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. 14 Thou are the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou has wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 Thou wast perfect in all thy ways from the day that thou was created, till iniquity was found in thee.
Ah, I love KJV.

Speaking of Cherub, I have a question for Jews: Is the "ch" from Hebrew, as in Michael, cherub, cherubim, etc. pronounced as a "kh", like in Bach, and loch?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-31-2003, 01:26 AM   #194
TinuvielChild
Padawan

I'm not Jewish, but I'm pretty sure it is. "Baruch ata Adonai", for example - the "ch" there is pronounced almost exactly the way it is in German.

BTW, could someone of you people who actually knows the story of Lucifer and the Fall extrapolate on it for me?

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 03:11 AM   #195
Gwaimir Windgem

Sorry, I'm just doing a quick scan before popping off to bed, but I'd be glad to in the morning.

EDIT: I know about "Baruch ata Adonai", I'm just not sure about some of the others.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 03-31-2003 at 03:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:07 PM   #196
Gwaimir Windgem

All right, Lucifer. Lucifer was the greatest angel in the vast hosts of heaven; he was a living instrument of worship to God. So great was he, that in his heart pride began to grow, and he said within his mind, "I will ascend into the heavens, and my throne will be higher than that of God; I will be like the Most High". Basically, he plotted to dethrone God and replace him as the King of Heaven. One third of the angels followed him in his rebellion, and they made war against the forces of God, lead by Michael the Archangel. Lucifer's war failed, naturally, and he was cast out of heaven, his heart filled with a hatred for God and holiness. When he saw Man, the apple of God's eye, created in His image, he desired to wound the heart of God by striking at this, His most beloved creation. So, he deceived Eve and tempted Adam into rebelling against God, bringing Sin into the world and into them, and thus separating them from communion with God, much to the grief of both Man and God.

Any one else who knows of this particular matter is free to add to/correct this.

Okay, now I AM getting off!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 03-31-2003, 12:42 PM   #197
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

The ch is the German "kh"

That's why nobody can actually pronounce Chanukah.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:10 PM   #198
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish
Yes I have heard from many sources that the classic devil image was created by early christians to co-opt the ancient and very popular "horned god" image of the pre-christian pagan religions (he had antlers and hoofs and in some cases a tail and other animal like features). So suddenly one of the most popular religious figures became the ultimate personification of evil. A great way to extinguish the open following of the old ways. Co-opting pagan stuff was standard practice for those interested in taking its place it seems. Theres tons of examples.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 02:22 PM   #199
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
All right, Lucifer. Lucifer was the greatest angel in the vast hosts of heaven; he was a living instrument of worship to God. So great was he, that in his heart pride began to grow, and he said within his mind, "I will ascend into the heavens, and my throne will be higher than that of God; I will be like the Most High". Basically, he plotted to dethrone God and replace him as the King of Heaven. One third of the angels followed him in his rebellion, and they made war against the forces of God, lead by Michael the Archangel. Lucifer's war failed, naturally, and he was cast out of heaven, his heart filled with a hatred for God and holiness. When he saw Man, the apple of God's eye, created in His image, he desired to wound the heart of God by striking at this, His most beloved creation. So, he deceived Eve and tempted Adam into rebelling against God, bringing Sin into the world and into them, and thus separating them from communion with God, much to the grief of both Man and God.

Any one else who knows of this particular matter is free to add to/correct this.

Okay, now I AM getting off!
I have a question...where in the Bible is this story found? I can never seem to find it But other than that, that's pretty much how I learned about the rebellion of Lucifer.
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 09:23 PM   #200
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Co-opting pagan stuff was standard practice for those interested in taking its place it seems. Theres tons of examples.
Ah, yes, like the halos around the heads of the Holy Family (Mary, Jesus and Joseph). Also, I believe the idea of saints was introduced to help ease those who were used to living with idols in their houses into Catholicism (sp?). The medals and statues of the saints simply replaced the old idols of pagan gods. I'm not positive on this, but I'm almost positive it's true.