Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-21-2002, 11:12 PM   #181
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleb
Did no one notice they left out the entire part where Gandalf, Theoden, Aragorn ect. went to Isenguard and Sarumans staff was broken. Pippin never looked into the Palintir. And if all this is pushed into the Return of the king then they'll have to cut out the scouring of the shire or else it will be about five hours long.
PJ has been saying time and again that they'd be cutting the scouring of the shire out. But, as this film's characters have been pointing out the whole time, there is still hope. There is still one year to go and many of the actors have been asked to do re-shoots. Plus, PJ's been saying lately that ROTK will be his favorite of the 3 installment films and will be one very extended conclusion.

We have one year to just sit back, keep seeing this part II, waiting for the extended DVDs and yearning for more surprises...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2002, 11:34 PM   #182
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

ah, hmm I hope he makes it good then , I wont get my hopes up too much but Im excited for RoTK(still a year away )
Yeah I really wonder about the paths of the dead, Pip and Merry meeting up w/ the rest of them (why they PJ had gandalf meet them in the forest is beyond me) and of course Shelob and if they dont do the whole shire part what are they gonna do with Saruman.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 12:01 AM   #183
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

In the line of the story, Theoden and Company are supposed to leave Helm's Deep and go to Isengard to cast down Saruman. Because that's where they meet up with Merry and Pippin again after the storming of Isengard. At least, that's the way it happened in the books.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 12:52 AM   #184
Meriadoc
Hobbit

Maybe their trying to make the last movie longer.They also took out Shelob.
Meriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 01:34 AM   #185
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

*breathe*

Okay...I'm going to say it now. I didn't really like it! *Now it's out...* I thought they absolutely BUTCHERED the plot/ majority of the characters. I DID NOT get the Arwen/Aragorn dream thing, and the whole show seemed more war movie than introspectical epic. Now that I've ranted...here are the things that changed the movie to a "good" on the "HORRIBLE" to "EXCELLENT" rating scale.

1. Gollum! He was by far the character with the most depth and struggle protrayed in this move. Plus, the computer effects could not have been better.

2.Sam/Frodo- I loved their relationship in this movie...I was really actually scared when Frodo tried to kill Sam.

3.Haldir- Don't ask...I loved his death scene. I could practically see his life flashing before his eyes...I thought he was thinking something like "I gave up immortality for...this?"

4. Pippin/Merry- YEAH! They aren't mere clowns anymore!!

5. Ents-Loved them. And that's all there is to it.

6.Mordor- Creepy, spooky, JUST as I've always imagined it!

7. Eowyn- JUST like I've pictured her!

8. Rohan refugees- You can actually see how scared they are...it's so sad.

9. Faramir- I actually like his new character...it was really very interesting...particularly when he made a different choice than Boromir

10. Sam's monolouge at the end- I almost cried. Beautiful

11. The music! I know others have complained, but the violin solos were awesome!

Okay...so maybe TTT wasn't THAT bad. Maybe I just need to see it again. Or it could be just because I chronically don't enjoy 2nd movies in trilogies...it's a me thing...sorry. I think the main thing is..."What next? Show me more!" I think movies should have sequels...that's it!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 10:45 AM   #186
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
I used to like Pippin and Merry when they were troublemakers! I'm actually quite sad that their characters change

I still think I have pretty much the same chracter as Pippin though.
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 12:53 PM   #187
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Actually I really liked Arwen, Elrond not so much, his attitude was strange, but I thought the flashbacks as a whole was quite well done.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:21 PM   #188
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

I will be really really mad if they don't include the part about the shire. That is one of my favorite parts because all of the hobbits join together for the good of them all. I am also looking forward to seeing Rosie again. I think that they will have Rosie in it because I think I remember seeing a picture with Sam hugging a young hobbit girl...(Elanor??)

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 02:42 PM   #189
Sween
im quite stupid

just seen it and i absoultally loved it need a second viewing though
Old 12-22-2002, 03:20 PM   #190
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Renille
Okay...I'm going to say it now. I didn't really like it!
[snip]
Okay...so maybe TTT wasn't THAT bad. Maybe I just need to see it again.
Hello

I just saw it last night and agree almost exactly with your posting. I might change the order a bit: move the Ents up the pecking order coz when they were trashing Isengard it was even better than I could have imagined it. Stomp those orcs! Even Beechbone caught fire!! And got put out by the water coming in

I agree that Faramir was good, though they botched the ending; also not sure how they teleported across Anduin with the Morgul army holding the east bank.

The main problem for me was that they totally sacrificed character development for plot. Then they totally failed to convey the plot.

The bits they did lift from the book were usually the wrong bits; "classic" lines which would buy off the afficionados but which had no relevance to the plot and just confused things. Good example was the 20-second clip of Saruman recruiting the Dunlendings. Basically, I think Jackson is unable to tell a story properly.

On the up side, the opening scene was awesome. Gandalf falling down Khazad Dum while chibbing the balrog! He's totally nails, him. All of the battle scenes were tremendous, in fact.

Did anyone else notice Legolas nearly tripping up in one of those helicopter fly-by scenes? Ha!

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 03:23 PM   #191
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

I saw it on Friday, and despite what so many others have said about it, I absolutely loved it! And yes, there were some plot/character changes, but I really didn't mind them. Music was great, people of Rohan were perfect, Mordor was perfect, Gollum was perfect! Ah. I loved it. Now, I can't wait to see it again. And again...

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 03:29 PM   #192
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by Celebréiel

Yeah I really wonder about the paths of the dead, Pip and Merry meeting up w/ the rest of them (why they PJ had gandalf meet them in the forest is beyond me) and of course Shelob and if they dont do the whole shire part what are they gonna do with Saruman.
~Celebréiel
I didn't think that Gandalf actually met Merry and Pippin in the film, just that Gandalf knew that they had met Treebeard. This is the same as what happens in the book; Gandalf talks to Treebeard just before the hobbits meet him.

I suspect, and hope, that they will unravel all the politics in ROTK: Saruman getting expelled from the Order, Aragorn using the Palantir to bluff Sauron into attacking too soon, etc. Tis pity, coz they should've put that sort of stuff in TTT.

The scene where Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli meet up with the hobbits simply has too much comedy potential to pass on, so I reckon that'll be in RoTK in some form.

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 03:36 PM   #193
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Dunadan
[BGandalf talks to Treebeard just before the hobbits meet him.
[/B]
...which is why the bit with Merrry showing Treebeard the destruction at Isengard. Wouldn't Gandalf have told Treebeard waht was going on (as if he wouldn't have known anyway). And how does Merry know what Isengard looks like? These changes were poorly done and made sense only in Merry's character development. I guess since he is continuing into RotK they felt he needed more attention, especially since Flotsam and Jetsam was removed. Hoom, hum, these hasty directors.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:09 PM   #194
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I thought it was good, but it was a bit disappointing. I felt PJ really ruined Frodo at the end! And he made Faramir seem like a bully. And I felt sick because of all the killing and blood and stuff, and the romance (why, oh, why, did he put that in there?) I loved Gimli's comic relief though, and I loved the part where Sam is talking to Gollum about potatoes and such. I also really liked the part where Frodo and Sam were discussing their little ideas of that story thing, you know, "Let's hear the story of Frodo and the ring, dad." "Frodo wouldn't have gotten far without Sam." That really reflected Sam and Frodo's strong friendship. All in all, TTT was OK, but I like Fellowship of the Ring better.
durin's bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 04:55 PM   #195
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I liked the movie, but I was a bit disappointed, because:
1. Faramir acted as an evil person.
2. Elrond acted meanly.
3. Saruman (somehow) got into Theoden's body (it was really silly)
4. Haldir came to the battle of Helm's Deep. The funny thing was that he acted as the leader of Lorien's army, and he acted (too) as a really old friend of Aragorn.

But the move was still very good, and I liked Gollum. He looked so real! I just wait to see Shelob...
I liked Treebeard too, but all the other ents looked really silly. (distorted). My sister and cousin think that Gandlaf was very silly (especially when he glowed in Helm's Deep).
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 05:18 PM   #196
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

That part, with Arwen staring at Aragorn's statue thingy, or whatever, would have been funny if they had some pidgeons land on it.

Last edited by durin's bane : 12-23-2002 at 12:34 PM.
durin's bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 05:23 PM   #197
eowyngirl14
i don't know what i am talking about either, so don't ask

Gandalf

That would be really funny Durins Bane. What would be even funnier would be if oen of the pidgeons pooped on the statue, or on Arwen for that matter. I thought that part in the movie was really quite sad. I started to cry very hard and didn't stop untill the end of the movie because I knew my friends would kill me if I walked out of the theater still in tears!

'Then I will die as one of them' -Aragorn TTT movie

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety”
- Benjamin Franklin

arms are made for hugging

avatar from the avatar shop! made by Eowyn, Lady of Rohan
eowyngirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 06:12 PM   #198
Eglantine Banks
Hobbit

now, about Smeagol ...

I think it would have been better if they had actually filmed Andy Serkis (or another really good actor), with interesting/scary makeup and a flimsy, ripped costume, and not done the computer animation thing to create Smeagol.

Smeagol is a being, a hobbit-like person, not a variation on Dobby the House Elf. (The person I attended the movie with made this comparison when I asked what he thought of Gollum.) The computer-animated Smeagol has eyes that are too big and they make him look like what he is -- something not real.

Let me mention that I loved Gollum/Smeagol in the film. The voice was just perfect and his body language, too (but didn't this all come from Andy?). His dialog was also very good (although I could have done with one or two less Gollum vs. Smeagol internal debates -- that bit was good but a little overdone).

Anyway, why not a human actor playing the part?

Just because you CAN create a computer-generated character, doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD.

-Eglantine
Eglantine Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:15 PM   #199
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I kept thinking I would have liked a live person as Gollum too, but who could do all that leaping, vertical slinking, and fishing and all! I really liked Gollum's song at the end, but it was hard to listen to cause the movie "trash people" were dumping drinks in a giant trash can and smashing them down with their trash mashing stick, very noisey. There WAS a long line of people waiting to get in though, so I suppose it's pretty hectic trying to get the place clean quickly enough. All the cup crunching commotion ruined the song though. I can't find the soundtrack here yet.

"That part with Aragorns statue thingy"..." What would be even funnier would be if one of the pigeons pooped on the statue"......

Honestly, we need a "childrens forum" here! Come on kids, get it up! (your intelligence level)
Old 12-22-2002, 07:54 PM   #200
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

Gollum

Wah? I thought gollum was one of the few good points of the film. It would have been sooo silly to have a live actor play him. Really silly and weird. Hes supposed to be distorted and un human looking from having the ring so long. He was just right in the movie, except for the internal debate, eh...but yeah, good job on overall how he looked.
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote