Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:39 PM   #182
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

and I of...................
Old 01-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #183
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I'm afraid of edges. As in, if I feel a metal edge against my skin (especially around the throat or wrist) or if I'm standing on the edge of a sheer/steep drop I will freeze up and won't relax until the edge has been removed from me.
It's weird, both those situations could point to other fears, such as fear of bleeding or fear of heights. But I'm fine with blood and I like looking down from a great height, it's the edge that triggers the actual fear.

Something that I wouldn't say is a phobia for me but that never fails to distress me is being stranded or left alone in a place away from home. It's especially bad if I've forgotten my cellphone (or if it's dead) and there's no clock around because then the time just seems to go on and on and on and there's no way of telling when someone will realize that I'm not where I'm supposed to be (e.g. with family or friends).

That particular fear isn't helped by the fact that I end up in such situations far more than I would like...

Loud, unnecessary noises also upset me. Repeated loud, unnecessary noises can drive me into a near-homicidal rage. It's just one of those things.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:58 PM   #184
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Lady M, that fear of edges which you've mentioned immediately made me think of "past life trauma." There's this threory out there amongst those who believe in reincarnation and the like, namely that our unusual or marked phobias can be some "memory" of a trauma which ended in a death to us in a past life. My Dad insists that he was buried alive in an Egyptian tomb with a Pharaoh, which explains his intolerance for dark, confined spaces. He also thinks he was shot down in a wartime fighter jet in world war II before his "present incarnation," explaining his profoundly acute terror of being up high. One time I took him up the Space Needle in Seattle and he almost had a full-on panic/anxiety attack. Luckily, there's a bar at the top so he had a few scotches and was able to calm down - a little.

Dad used to do a LOT of drugs in the sixties and seventies. And eighties, too, actually...

But still, it's interesting to think about!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #185
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

The Space Needle is fun... had my junior prom up there, very pretty.

I don't think I've had any past lives. A bloody lot of characters living in my subconcious, yes. Lives in parallel worlds, maybe...
But I've never felt there to be anything more to my past than this life...

It is an interesting thought though.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Lady Marion Magdalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #186
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i have this incredible fear of dolls and clowns and things. it all started when i read/watched "it". ever since then, if i see a clown? forget about it.
i don't know when the doll thing started. i used to have a million baby dolls and i loved them. but as i got older, they actually started creeping me out to the point that i packed them all away in my closet, then got creeped out that they were even in my room, so i moved them into my grampy's house next door. lol
i didn't realize how badly they disturbed me, though, until last saturday when i was at my grandma's house with my family. my cousin brought up one of her baby dolls and her and my other cousins were fooling around with it, dressing it up in her little brother's (who is 2) pajamas. i walked into the room for a second, and one of them threw it in my face and i screamed! i hid my face and told them to knock it off, so my brother said alright alright. but when i opened my eyes he shoved it in my face again and i actually started crying! and i mean, like, full-out, hysterical crying! it was awful! i couldn't believe how wussy i was about the whole thing!
so yeah, i'm a wee bit terrified of dolls...
lol

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #187
inked
Elf Lord

I'd like to diagnose brownjenkins with absolutophobianorecognisis. That's when you make absolutes and refuse to recognize them - compulsively and repetitively and over and over and over and over ... again!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #188
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

My pet phobia: The giant cricket that will come after me to avenge all the little crickets I've smushed.
(joking)
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #189
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
I'd like to diagnose brownjenkins with absolutophobianorecognisis. That's when you make absolutes and refuse to recognize them - compulsively and repetitively and over and over and over and over ... again!
Actually that is defined as exponentialy.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #190
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I'm not even gonna say what I'd like to diagnose Inked with. He'd get too offended and miffed. How does a diagnosis completely taken out of context relating to his beef with a fellow mooter from a TOTALLY DIFFERENT THREAD have anything at all to do with phobias? How insulting.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:06 AM   #191
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

All, let's not get too personal here. This thread is about your own phobia's, not the imagined ones of others.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:35 AM   #192
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
I have an irrational fear of...

AXE-WIELDING MANIACS!!!
Maybe that's not so irrational eh? </being obvious>

I have anxiety about going to class. This is a problem for a university student. [Insert student life joke here. Go on, you know you want to.]

[It's not like you go to class anyway in university!]

There, now doesn't that feel better?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #193
inked
Elf Lord

The perfect thread for the following...

http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...h=Christianity

paranoia, it's not just for conservatives anymore!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #194
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ravyn
i have this incredible fear of dolls and clowns and things. it all started when i read/watched "it". ever since then, if i see a clown? forget about it.
i don't know when the doll thing started. i used to have a million baby dolls and i loved them. but as i got older, they actually started creeping me out to the point that i packed them all away in my closet, then got creeped out that they were even in my room, so i moved them into my grampy's house next door. lol
i didn't realize how badly they disturbed me, though, until last saturday when i was at my grandma's house with my family. my cousin brought up one of her baby dolls and her and my other cousins were fooling around with it, dressing it up in her little brother's (who is 2) pajamas. i walked into the room for a second, and one of them threw it in my face and i screamed! i hid my face and told them to knock it off, so my brother said alright alright. but when i opened my eyes he shoved it in my face again and i actually started crying! and i mean, like, full-out, hysterical crying! it was awful! i couldn't believe how wussy i was about the whole thing!
lol
poor you! yea im really scared of dolls and clowns...so i have a button i wear saying* can't sleep... clowns will eat me* exactly how i feel..

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #195
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
paranoia, it's not just for conservatives anymore!

You know, if you're gonna believe in something so strongly that you attend rallies and conventions and whatnot, I would think that you understand what it's like to believe in something very strongly. From there, you should have tolerance, then respect for other people's beliefs. You should understand that yeah, people believe in stuff. And still survive together, even together in a democracy. Imagine! These paranoid politicians fighting for religious anarchy just haven't thought about it, or else they would have come to that conslusion. They're the blindly faithful zealots.

That was a good article. I figured I'd state that ^ here instead of any religious thread where it would be nitpicked and drowned in statistics, specifics, and whatnot in half a minute. People are nuts.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #196
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

On another note:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ravyn
lol
I saw the very end of "IT" on TV at my friend's house once when i was about 8 years old. (In fact i think it was my first time ever sleeping over someone else's house.) In any case, I still want to see that movie in full, 'cause after I saw the obnoxiously large spider I just cracked up laughing. I'm guessing that it's the rest of the movie that is consistently rated among the top ten scariest films of all time.

But I used to have nighmares about one clown in particular. That was different though; I had a clown at my 5th birthday party or something, and I dreamed that I came across him somewhere else, and I forgot my shoes but didn't want him to notice, and he didn't like me. It makes no sense, but could scare the pants off a sleeping five-year-old.

EDIT: Ah, shucks. Someone switched the "Edit" and "Quote" buttons on me again.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 01-30-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:30 PM   #197
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo

You know, if you're gonna believe in something so strongly that you attend rallies and conventions and whatnot, I would think that you understand what it's like to believe in something very strongly. From there, you should have tolerance, then respect for other people's beliefs. You should understand that yeah, people believe in stuff. And still survive together, even together in a democracy. Imagine! These paranoid politicians fighting for religious anarchy just haven't thought about it, or else they would have come to that conslusion. They're the blindly faithful zealots.

That was a good article. I figured I'd state that ^ here instead of any religious thread where it would be nitpicked and drowned in statistics, specifics, and whatnot in half a minute. People are nuts.
OKAY, STATS TIME!!!!!!!!!

Joking .
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 01-30-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:22 PM   #198
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
OKAY, STATS TIME!!!!!!!!!

Joking .

Not that statistical knowlege is a bad thing, just not for me.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #199
Tamuril Sirfalas
Elven Warrior

another thing to add to my list...CROWS
LARGE AMOUNTS OF CROWS....a f***ing crow attacked me yesterday...just flew over my and raked its claws on my head..the bastard..shoot it shoot it! jk i know they're endangered...but shoot the crow who attacked me!

Nin o Chithaeglir, lasto beth daer:
Rimmo nin Bruinen dan in Ulaer!

REST IN PEACE GRANDMA, GREAT AUNT, GREAT UNCLE .....they're gunna fly with the angels now so say goodbye..but i can't. You don't really realize the importance of someone until they are gone
Tamuril Sirfalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:20 PM   #200
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

You're kidding; he just attacked you like that? How very Hitchcockian! Why on earth did the crow deliberately claw you; did he think you were some kind of threat or was he just being randomly terrifying? Animals are a trip, sometimes.