Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

We need another "We Love SGH" thread.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:46 PM   #183
Ruinel
Banned

IMO, one of the problems is that there are not enough fresh threads started in the forums. And I don't mean 'What's your favorite color' threads. If some of the newbies here have something they'd like to discuss related to Tolkien's works, they should consider starting a new thread.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:48 PM   #184
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

And they must always do a search first my precious.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:53 PM   #185
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
We need another "We Love SGH" thread.
No, seriously, we don't. I like her, too. But what we really need are new and interesting threads started in the Tolkien forums. People (me included) spam because they don't take it seriously. I know I'm putting my neck out there on the chopping block, but I'm trying to be sincere about this. Go look at those forums, see how much action they're getting, and why.

Find a new and interesting thread to start, people will come, they will post.
Old 05-15-2003, 11:55 PM   #186
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
But of course, Queen of Nargothrond. *bows to SGH*
Old 05-15-2003, 11:59 PM   #187
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
No, seriously, we don't. I like her, too. But what we really need are new and interesting threads started in the Tolkien forums. People (me included) spam because they don't take it seriously. I know I'm putting my neck out there on the chopping block, but I'm trying to be sincere about this. Go look at those forums, see how much action they're getting, and why.

Find a new and interesting thread to start, people will come, they will post.
The trouble you are going to find in that is that most of the long time members have already discussed just about everything there is to discuss. So the new and interesting threads would have to come from the new members. But I do agree that the book forums are down to a slow crawl lately.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 11:59 PM   #188
Gwaimir Windgem

Um...er...search...yes, of course...-eyes dary back and forth-

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-16-2003, 12:06 AM   #189
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
The trouble you are going to find in that is that most of the long time members have already discussed just about everything there is to discuss. So the new and interesting threads would have to come from the new members. But I do agree that the book forums are down to a slow crawl lately.
I agree, whole heartedly, with all of what you said.

Afro Elf always posts some good threads. *recalls the 'Union between Hobbits and Dwarves' thread... then bursts out laughing*
Old 05-16-2003, 12:08 AM   #190
Gwaimir Windgem

You might want to check out the Gollum Debate thread (carried over to favourite LOTR character, or something similar). Quite interesting, indeed.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-16-2003, 12:14 AM   #191
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwaimir Windgem
You might want to check out the Gollum Debate thread (carried over to favourite LOTR character, or something similar). Quite interesting, indeed.
Yes, I was there for a while, cake-boy. Go read my response to your vent.
Old 05-16-2003, 12:16 AM   #192
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

yeah i basically have mostly already replied to all the posts i found ineteresting on the book forums, and now I only visit this one (for the most part).
Old 05-16-2003, 01:26 AM   #193
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
LOL!!

I think I would leave if SGH did. *hopes JD is not around to razz her*

And I hope Starr doesn't leave, either, I like her alot For months I thought she was from Poland .... (the other way to pronounce "Polish" .... geez, I can be dense!!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 05-16-2003 at 01:27 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:29 AM   #194
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
LOL!!

I think I would leave if SGH did. *hopes JD is not around to razz her*
Oh - don't worry - I'm right here.

Are you brown nosing?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 01:44 AM   #195
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I have to say that I agree with Starr Polish. I get a little annoyed at all the spam, and the current flame wars in the movie forum (the topics are good, but when things get personal...) And there is practically zero activity in the books forum, so much that I am going to do my best to try to think of a new topic.
I'm not sure if I could give up Entmoot, but lately it's became almost a chore reading all the spam. Mostly I just read threads, and sometimes contribute if I think I have something relevent to say. Now I am finding myself giving up reading all the new posts because it has no relevence to the topic.
So, yes, I think the 'moot is declining.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:25 AM   #196
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Yep, that about sums up my feelings. There are a few select 'mooters who I won't even bother with now, basically because they cram their silly little banter into the GM forum, and degrade it with innuendo* (very tiresome, and as subtle as a brick), and their personal lives. I also, am seriously considering either leaving, or giving the 'moot a break, because quite frankly, there is hardly anything going on at the moment that interests me, and most of the interesting mooters seem to have left, or very seldom post. Luckily there are still a cool bunch of people floating around, and reading the Sil forum usually keeps me sane, even if I don't contribute much to it. I definately feel that a more hands on moderation of the GM forum is needed. SGH does a great job, and so does Khamul when he has the time, but there's still a lot of crap that needs to be waded through to get to the worthwhile comments.

*nothing wrong with the odd joke/innuendo/comment but really, EVERY freaking post?!
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 02:42 AM   #197
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I would just like to add that I don't blame the mods, and that I don't mind the occasional joke (I have the habit of doing that 'cause I can't help myself). I also accept that the movie and GM forums are more relaxed (in my mind anyway). We have to remember that it's US that makes or breaks the 'moot, so everybody has to try and make the effort. I perhaps have been a bit lazy and not posted my thoughts or started new threads when I should have.

P.S I just started a new thread in the book forum to spice things up there a bit.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:13 AM   #198
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Luckily there are still a cool bunch of people floating around, and reading the Sil forum usually keeps me sane, even if I don't contribute much to it.
I agree, when I'm really starting to lose my patience with the entmoot, I go to the Silmarillion or Middle-earth forum. It's calming and makes me think again.

Because lately the General Messages have been a let-down. The topics I still follow there grow daily with mindless chat and drivel and reading through them, trying to find the relevant bits is time-consuming and no longer the relaxed- spending- of -free- time that it used to be. I find myself skipping a lot of posts because they're only chat. It has also become on certain levels very tense. People seem to take some things a lot more personally, personal attacks are far more common all of a sudden and they leave me with a uneasy feeling.

I think I need to take a break from General Messages and focus again on the Tolkien-related forums. I don't want to leave the Entmoot and it will have to deteriorate seriously before I will. But I'm rapidly growing tired of wasting my precious time reading drivel.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:19 AM   #199
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
LOL!!

And I hope Starr doesn't leave, either, I like her alot For months I thought she was from Poland .... (the other way to pronounce "Polish" .... geez, I can be dense!!)
You too! I had to come out and ask her! It took me awhile to get the image of sausage out, and pretty fingernails in, but I did!

I've gotton to the point that I don't read lots of posts by some members, but that breaks the pleasant flow as stated above. You know what some people are going to say before you even look at it. Boring chit chat about each other, page after page! *Every now and then* that type of thing can be really funny, but over use has made it quite mind numbing!

I've noticed in the year I've been posting that these things (hopefully!) run their course and peter out. It's a shame and detrimental when you lose two or ten quality posters in the meantime though! Bropous had a good idea about getting outside and enjoying the springtime! Course this won't help the people in the "Upside down" part of the world!

Last edited by Lizra : 05-16-2003 at 07:31 AM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:03 AM   #200
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

I wouldn't like this board as much as I do if it should become too serious, but I must agree that there has been too much of spamming and chatting in the threads lately. I think the problem is that the spam has tended to flow into more and more threads, causing these threads to go entirely off topic. Perhaps some of the annoyance would disappear if the personal smalltalk were restricted to threads made for this purpose.

Honour also to cass, who's not only complaining, but actually does something. I'll try to follow her example.