Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #181
Mari
Elf Lady

Yups. We met in Japan. What can I say? We get around

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 04-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #182
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Meeting a Norwegian in Norway would have been closer for you, you know

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 04-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #183
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

But requires being in Norway.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 04-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #184
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Meeting a Norwegian in Norway would have been closer for you, you know
True, but to meet this particular Norwegian... he's lived in the US (Texas), Japan, Denmark and the barren regions near the Russian border (military). So who knows where he might have been?
I have an open invitation to come visit him whenever I like though and I intend to make use of that one day.
I met his Dutch girlfriend for the first time today. I'd heard a lot about her (we share our name! ), but I'm relieved I met her. She is really very nice and they seem a very well attuned.

I've been reading a book on Near-Death-Experiences. It's really interesting. It's about what it is, what stages there are, which researches are done, own research, etc. Lots of biology, neurology and psychology present in this book.
It was written by Pim van Lommel. The book hasn't been translated into English, but his research is, so if anyone is interested... It's really quite good.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #185
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Quote:
There is such a thing as cashew nut butter? Sounds interesting! No salt I hope?

Did you make a list Aika? Just assemble everything on the list on your bed and cross it off AFTER you've put it in your suitcase. Always works for me
If you need a double check on your list, ask someone.
There is, and it has plenty of salt, but so does just about every processed food, so I'm not too worried about it.

I did make a list, and it did help - I've got all my teaching and medical supplies sorted, at least, and I've got lots of room left over for my personal stuff. Having a very generous luggage allowance helps, I think! As long as I don't do something completely insane like forget my passport, I should be fine.

I'm glad you enjoyed your meetup today, and the book you're reading sounds interesting! My personal opinion is that most near-death experience are purely psychological in nature, but I've heard a lot of different views on the subject

Old 04-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #186
Mari
Elf Lady

Hmmm, I don't like eating things with a lot of salt. Too much salt isn't good for you.

Everything's packed? Good! When will you leave exactly? Will you stop over in Amsterdam? Do I need to wave!?

I'm not so sure. I never really needed a life after death, but I do like the implications and the changes reported in people's views that come with it. I found confirmation of my own attitude and thoughts in a lot of things these people found out after experiencing the NDE.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #187
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

But salt tastes good!

I'm not leaving until Monday, but since I'm spending Easter with extended family I need to get everything done beforehand! No stopovers, but if I fly over Amsterdam, I'll wave from the plane!

I'm off to watch Doctor Who, back in a while!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #188
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
Hmmm, I don't like eating things with a lot of salt. Too much salt isn't good for you.
Only if it's that iodised shite. We get the unprocessed sea salt that still has all its minerals intact - VERY good for you. We sprinkle it over each meal we have. Adds a nice component to the food.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #189
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
We get the unprocessed sea salt that still has all its minerals intact - VERY good for you.
Nah I wouldn't be too sure of that. Lotsa nice minerals, yes, but all that sodium isn't necessarily good for your cardiovascular system in any case - be it sea salt or super-processed table salt.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #190
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Of course, too little sodium is even worse for you. Only slightly necessary for proper brain function and all that.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #191
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
True, but to meet this particular Norwegian... he's lived in the US (Texas), Japan, Denmark and the barren regions near the Russian border (military). So who knows where he might have been?
I have an open invitation to come visit him whenever I like though and I intend to make use of that one day.
I met his Dutch girlfriend for the first time today. I'd heard a lot about her (we share our name! ), but I'm relieved I met her. She is really very nice and they seem a very well attuned.
In that case, Japan might have been as close as anywhere else!
And there's probably no telling where he will be when you finally get to visit him, either

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 04-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #192
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow Oran View Post
Of course, too little sodium is even worse for you. Only slightly necessary for proper brain function and all that.
True that! However it's practically impossible to get too little sodium in an industrialized country, since salt is abundant in most foods we buy. Sodium deficiency due to insufficient intake is simply never seen in patients in the western world
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 04-11-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #193
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

It happened to my sister a few years ago. She'd been sick for a few weeks and eating very little apart from water and bananas so by the time the emergency room doctors started taking her case seriously and realized that the test results weren't in error, her sodium levels were so low they were surprised she was still conscious.

Of course, a few days later the problem was reversed, now she can't have any added salt...

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #194
Jonathan

Wow. It's possible of course that the low sodium could have been secondary to something else. In any case, a diet of only water and bananas isn't recommendable

Last edited by Jonathan : 04-11-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #195
Mari
Elf Lady

I do not add salt to my food because there is so much salt in most foods already. Lack of sodium can also lead to a slow working thyroid by the way, but that is not the case for me. I'm lucky, it's a deficiency in my genes

Willow, why did you sister stick to water and bananas? Pure dieting reasons?

Aika, happy Easter then And to the rest of you as well!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #196
Jonathan

Happy Easter!
Quote:
Lack of sodium can also lead to a slow working thyroid by the way, but that is not the case for me.
Yeah, although that's actually due to lack of the iodine that's put to the salt. Adding iodine to our table salt is a brilliant idea to effectively erase the cause of dietary hypothyroidism
Old 04-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #197
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
It's possible of course that the low sodium could have been secondary to something else. In any case, a diet of only water and bananas isn't recommendable.
It was, she was retaining a great deal of water and eventually had to be on dialyses for about a month.

Quote:
Willow, why did you sister stick to water and bananas? Pure dieting reasons?
Because the whole thing started with what we thought was a mild case of the stomach flu and that's what she could keep down.

It was just a weird case all around, but it's done now.

Happy Easter!

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 04-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #198
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
Happy Easter!
Yeah, although that's actually due to lack of the iodine that's put to the salt. Adding iodine to our table salt is a brilliant idea to effectively erase the cause of dietary hypothyroidism
Yes of course it was iodine and not sodium. Silly me >_< *whacks herself* I knew that.

It's nasty when you feel sick and can't even keep anything down...
But all's well that ends well

Old 04-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #199
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Iodine in salt.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es0719071
varies.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 04-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #200
klatukatt
Entmoot's Drunken Uncle

There is not enough TIME for ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

Argg.
Closed Thread