Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 04:43 AM   #181
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Rian, the requested editing has been done.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #182
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

thanks, GW!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #183
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
thanks, GW!
You're welcome, RÃ*an!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:14 PM   #184
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Serenoli Where are you?
I hope you are fine!

We are waiting for Bumble's lecture! Didn't you say you were going to post it?

If you have no time now, could you post a placeholder so we would be able to move on?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #185
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Nazgul Middle-earth Travel Times

This site, put out by the Middle-earth Adventure Riders Association, has a handy travel route and time schedule. This will be a help when planning a jaunt through Middle-earth.

http://www.theoriginalseries.com/traveltimes.htm
Old 01-15-2006, 08:19 PM   #186
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Thank you, Udu. Awesome site. So it is at least 9 days to Minas-Tirith from Tharbad....
Old 01-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #187
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Thank you, Udu. Awesome site. So it is at least 9 days to Minas-Tirith from Tharbad....
Gordis, yes. Quite a long traveling time. Of course, Tolkien sped things up in LOTR with the 80-mile-a-day thing of the Rohirrim (Of course, this is an impossible speed for normal horses and would kill them. It reminds me of the quote from the childhood story of Black Beauty, something like, "They think horses are steam engines and treat them as such.")

At this period, by the way, the Rohirrim are still up North and should play no factor in the Entmoot tale. That would be unless someone wants to bring in one of their ancestors.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 01-15-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:09 AM   #188
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udukhaturz
Gordis, yes. Quite a long traveling time. Of course, Tolkien sped things up in LOTR with the 80-mile-a-day thing of the Rohirrim (Of course, this is an impossible speed for normal horses and would kill them. It reminds me of the quote from the childhood story of Black Beauty, something like, "They think horses are steam engines and treat them as such.")

At this period, by the way, the Rohirrim are still up North and should play no factor in the Entmoot tale. That would be unless someone wants to bring in one of their ancestors.
Tolvadok might be one of their ancestors. And Ray is half pre-rohirric, as far as I remember.

But really, guys, shouldn't we move our story faster?
At the pace we move our story now (a month for a day rpg time) there is no way for anyone to travel . If someone goes to Annuminas or Minas Tirith, it will practically put him out of the game forever.

Any ideas?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #189
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Quote:
Serenoli Where are you?
I hope you are fine!
Its very sweet of you, Gordis, to worry, but I'm just fine. Posted for Bumble, which took some time, because I had to re-read some of the posts about him again, so I could describe him better. I have left it open-ended, so if Rian, Valandil or Earniel want to describe anything in Commerce, they're free to do so.

I've tried my best to portray Bumble, but if anyone feels there is something wrong with how I did it, don't hesitate to tell me!

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 01-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #190
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Tolvadok might be one of their ancestors. And Ray is half pre-rohirric, as far as I remember.

But really, guys, shouldn't we move our story faster?
At the pace we move our story now (a month for a day rpg time) there is no way for anyone to travel . If someone goes to Annuminas or Minas Tirith, it will practically put him out of the game forever.

Any ideas?
yeah, originally I was going to have Tyaron gone for 4 days (2 out, 2 back), but realized that at the pace we're going, he'd be gone for months in real time, so I changed it to less than a day's travel distance. Kind of unrealistic, but I didn't want to drop him out of the story for 4 months or more in real time.

Maybe set a rough schedule ahead of time in the formal info thread at something like 2 weeks per day? Like:

Tuesday - ends on RT Sunday, January 22
Wednesday - ends on RT Sunday, Feb. 5
Thursday - end on RT Sunday, Feb. 19

and stick with it unless someone asks for an extension, then make the extension only good for a couple of days. And there's always writing as a memory (i.e., "thinking back on the commerce class yesterday, Rian recalled blah blah blah")

OTOH, apparently these RPGs often move very slowly. I think a month for a day is too long, though, but I'll go with whatever people want.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #191
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

It depends on how much you want to happen each day in the game. What we could do... once we get this game-week done with (which could be a while) is skip the next few weeks so that our characters are deeper into the term, more familiar with eachother etc. Anything in those skipped weeks could be shown as having happened through implication or memory type posts and we would be at the appropriate place to start making the action pick up a bit.

It is true that many role-plays here do move much more slowly and erratically. It took us about two years to get through the last TLA and that was a thoroughly silly role-play.

Considering that this game is more serious, has something resembling a plot, and has players who actually care about details and continuity in all aspects we're moving quite fast.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 01-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #192
Rían

oh, good idea (skipping a few weeks) - never thought of that.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #193
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Good idea. Alternativly you could have the few weeks that we skip to be uneventful so we get to the same stage but skip the flashbacks.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 01-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #194
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Uneventful works too. But just in case...
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 01-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #195
Rían

Very nice post, Serenoli! I like how Bumble just kind of kicked into autopilot when he started talking about Commerce

Old 01-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #196
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

It is an awesome post, Serenoli!
Perfect Bumble!

As to the rate of the game.

My idea is to skip some days by mutual agreement.

For instance, Wednesday and Thursday -look at the schedule.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...-Dis/USAT7.jpg

BTW I have updated the schedule putting in Fernik and deleting the two last classes on Friday - Defensive Building - transferred to Monday Morning- and Western Philosophy. Hope nobody will protest?

Does anyone want something happen on Wednesday or Thirsday? If so, please book the time/event in advance- here in the Discussion thread

I am personally interested in Embalming on Friday. And very much interested in Bonfires on Saturday evening (Val, was it Saturday?), where Val had a bright idea to invite Aiwendis.

Later, we can, perhaps, skip an entire week.
Then people could plan let us say a week-end out hunting or fishing.

What do you think of this approach?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #197
Rían

sounds fine to me if it's ok with the majority of the group

I need Tyaron to arrive on Wed. at dawn, but I can write that now and then post it as soon as Tuesday is finished, and then we can skip ahead as far as I'm concerned.

Could someone please help me with a general question - what's the general idea as far as access to the city? Is it walled? There's been posts about guards (two types, which I don't understand) and things - what are the approaches and how are they guarded, and why? Is it only Tharbad, or is this a general-type thing?

Old 01-16-2006, 05:30 PM   #198
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Skipping ahead sounds fine. I had a few minor ideas planned that are only realistic if a few more days have passed. If it takes us months to even get a few days further, I'm bound to forget them anyway.

So fine with me, I have no personal preference as to which day we skip.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #199
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

That is fine that we seem to be of like mind on this.

I propose to make a list of events planned for the week till Sunday. Everyone wishing to add to it, please copy the whole list inserting your addition into it. Than the latest list will be the one we follow.

Tuesday evening. Tolvadok arrives at Orrodel and sees Lilly, Buz and Viv?

Wednesday morning. Tyaron returns to Tharbad

Friday 2-5 PM. Embalming featuring Mahtaliel, Val and Aiwendis

Saturday Evening. Bonfire festival.

TD and Udu, when do you think to get Lilly?

Lotesse, what about Viv's schedule?

Shah? what abour Ray and Marty?

All, please add your events.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:57 PM   #200
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Could someone please help me with a general question - what's the general idea as far as access to the city? Is it walled? There's been posts about guards (two types, which I don't understand) and things - what are the approaches and how are they guarded, and why? Is it only Tharbad, or is this a general-type thing?
Rian, the game map shows a wall with breaks in it for passage (guard towers, etc). I never knew how it was guarded, but I assume that since it is Gondorian territory, some military contingent of the king would be the guards. The city is walled, I would say, because most all cities of size and consequence in medieval times were walled and guarded. You never know when someone might want to attack.
Closed Thread