Old 07-17-2005, 10:39 PM   #181
inked
Elf Lord

BOP,
O knicker nicker,
I agree with thee,
And if thou wouldst see,
My thoughts more largely expressed,
Try SF-Fandom.com "finished 6th" thread!

Till we can discuss it here in the clear!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 01:35 AM   #182
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Holy freakin' cow. I thought it was going to be Dumbledore because somehow I knew that Harry would have to do it more or less alone in the end. One possibility that crossed my mind was that it would be Snape that died. I hoped that he wouldn't go through with helping Draco, but instead sacrifice himself by making and then breaking an Unbreakable Vow and getting more information that way. But then he just had to go and kill Dumbledore.

I didn't cry when Sirius died, but I came close at Dumbledore's funeral. The thing that did make me tear up was Ron and Hermione saying that they'd stay with Harry until the end. It was sort of a Samwise-on-Mt.-Doom moment.

On a lighter note, did anyone catch the fact that Slughorn (who never can remember Ron's name) referred to him once as Rupert? I thought that was cool.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:34 AM   #183
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Yeah, that was funny

Slughorn was great altogether - definitely JKR's most Dickensian characer so far (anyone else think he's a dead ringer for Harold Skimpole in Bleak House?) Nice to see a character who's a vain, selfish, shallow hypocrite who doesn't turn out to be evil.

I've been expecting Dumbledore to die since GOF, so it wasn't a surprise to me. Not many surprises all round actually - Ron and Hermione/Harry and Ginny, Snape as Half-Blood Prince, Voldemort's past etc. was all quite predictable, but none the less interesting for being so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
Sunstar - I wonder if Dumbledore is going to do a Gandalf...and come back in book 7?

And the first thing I thought of when they introduced the new lionlike Minister was Aslan & Narnia
The whole of the end from the underground lake (or should we call it the Dead Marshes? ), to Dumbledore fighting against the potion, to the funeral was reminiscent of the end of The Silver Chair to me.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #184
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

My thoughts on HBP.

General: I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It felt strangely unfinished to me. I don't know why exactly, but it did. Overall I thought it started a bit slowly, but got better. I can't help feeling the story has become overly serious and not so amusing now. Not that serious is bad, but it is a child's book, and it's dealing with some quite important things. I apologise for my rambling, I'm just writing the streams of thought as the come.

Quote from BoP:
Quote:
I also suspect that he (dumbledore) put snape up to killing him as he knew that Harry wouldn't leave hogwarts otherwise. What made me suspicious was that I couldn't imagine dumbledore pleading with snape -it seemed out of character. And I suspect that snape is still a double agent to voldemort, and killing dumbledore makes it look like he's even more faithful to voldemort now. If he killed him. Perhaps dumbledore was dying anyway from that shite he drank?

I agree with you on this one. I think Dumbledore was actually pleading with Snape to kill him. Not to not kill him. You're right, his character so far as we have seen would not act this way, and it is the only way I can see for it to make sense. The only curious thing about it is that he froze Harry. I expect he thought it important he view the scene. BUT, I wondered if perhaps when he realised it a trap he froze him so he wouldn't go and bring Snape...which suggests Snape really is on the other side now.

BUT again, Dumbledore probably knew about Snape's unbreakable vow, and he gave him the DADA job, which he knew was cursed. So Snape couldn't stay at the school any longer. Not to mention that the Death Eater's were getting curious why Snape was still there. Snape also let Harry go. He didn't kill him 'cos Voldie wants him', but whether or not I beleive this...I dunno. If Voldie wants to kill him so much the Death Eaters should of taken him. But Snape didn't. So he may still be on their side. Is going to take some mega covincing to be trusted again though. He may have simply been showing his true colours finally.

As you can see I'm unsure what to think of this yet, and require some further readings of all the books to try and understand.

About Horcruxes and Inferi:

I'm with Mercutio at the moment, I reckon R.A.B is Regulus Black.
That would fit nicely because it means the proper locket horcrux could be in Grimmauld Place, as Harry inherited it. I think the horcrux is an interesting idea, and obviously now central to the story. I have a theory about this for book 7, but it's below in case you don't want to know it. Inferi...the lake think totally freaked me out. I was reminded of the dead marshes, but was also reminded of something else. I can't remember what I read it in, but kelpies were responsible for grabbing people and taking them underwater, where they drowned. There's something immensely sinister about water that doesn't move (why I hate canals!). Anyway, that was creepy.

About Hogwarts and learning:

I imagine the school will re-open, but not play a big part in the next book. If it doesn't then the teachers could start being full time Pheonix guys while Harry looks for the horcruxes. However, Harry is an unqualified wizard. He's talented yes, but he hasn't learnt everything. Snape simply stopped his spells before they were out of his mouth. How much good will that do him in the finale? When Dumbledore was looking around the cave Harry didn't understand how he was finding things. Magic leaves a trace, but Harry doesn't know how to detect it. I can't see how he can win the fight without much more learning. I mean of all the people trying to help, most of them were injured in the fight in the castle, and Ginny (or Hermione) even said without the Felix Felicis they probably would have died.

About Spells, the HBP and stuff:

Well well well. Look at Snape. What an interesting thing to call himself. This does strongly associate him with Voldie. After all, taking on a nickname like that, and experimenting and creating spells.

BUT there are 3 possiblities here about this book. 1. JKR made an error. 2. He's lying. The book is 50 years old, so Harry said. Snape is not from that era. So it could be Tom Riddle's, and Snape found and kept it, naming it as his own. After all, Snape wasn't rich I don't think. I can't recall if ever anywhere has hinted he had second hand things. But if he did, this would make sense. So he's still the HBP as he calls himself, but he wasn't the book maker. Or 3. Harry looked at the date first published, which doesn't necesarrily mean how old the book it. If it was Snape's it would be shabby after all the potions work he did.

If he's working with Voldie now, why so keen to admit being half-blood I wonder. Perhaps he just admitted it was him so he felt good and important, rather than for any reason. ANyway, the spells do seem very Dark Arts, and, if he indeed invented them, make me wonder again if Snape really has defected.

I'm very glad Draco (and the some of other slytherins) were given something beyond 'I'm the school bully, fear me', and 'ooh, we're the scary mean house'. No I don't think he is redeemed. He made it perfectly clear he was working for Voldie now, but the fear was tangible. He was scared he, and his family would die. His work dropped because it was no longer about pleasing his father with grades. He's a very good slytherin. Trying to survive. I wonder if he was waiting to kill Dumbledore so he didn't have to. Snape would come along and sort it out. But if Voldie finds out then he's gonna be annoyed, especially if it was designed as punishment for the Malfoys' previous failure. So he might never be seen again.

My speculations for book 7:

Okay so Harry has to find the horcruxes, and will be helped by Ron and Hermione, probably not going back to school. Draco, I imagine will be killed by Voldie. If however, he isn't then he owes Snape, which could be very interesting if Snape turns out to be Non-death eater after all. There's also the Wormtail debt to be dealt with.

But anyway, I think that there was a big clue in the horcrux that we saw. I assume everyone noticed it was cracked, but on the british edition of the childrens version there was a picture, with a lightning shaped crack. I think that Harry is the 6th Horcrux. This means he will have to kill himself to kill voldemort. After all, he's the only one who can do it? Why? Because Voldemort marked him. He chose him. He unintentionally created a Horcux when the spell went wrong, which is why Harry could see his thoughts. He's the only one who can do it because even if someone killed all the other parts of Voldemort, Harry living would mean Voldemort living. I don't think Voldie know this though. Or he wouldn't want to kill Harry, unless he wants his soul back

End of random (and confusing) rambling.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:15 AM   #185
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Ok, confession...I secured the new HP book for purchase early Saturday morning, all I had to do is show up....and I was planning on it until the news that morning mentioned it would be $29.99 plus tax.....I felt like puking. I love the story, but I think these people are rich enough to keep the price realistic. I'll wait for the paperback...and after I've been waiting soooo long for the book. Anyway, turns out I have a 'greed-reflex' gene in me.

I'll be patient.......

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #186
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

...whats with the huge silver boxes? I've not run across them before
Old 07-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #187
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
...whats with the huge silver boxes? I've not run across them before

Spoiler code! Unless you want to know what's going on in book 6, don't read it. (To do so just highlight the section).

Interesting thoughts about Harry being a Horcrux, Elfmaster.

I'm wondering about Regulus...supposedly he was a death eater who Voldemort murdered. Rereading the note in the locket, I noticed it kept referring to R.A.B's death. "I'll be dead by the time you find out." or something like that. Could Regulus have done this, knowing that Voldemort was going to murder him anyway in the near future? Kind of revenge before the revenge-affecting-event?

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.

Last edited by Mercutio : 07-18-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 AM   #188
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Spock they're spoiler tabs so if anyone who hasn't read HBP comes across the thread then they won't see what I've written, and hence get angry I revealed spoilers. To see what I wrote put your mouse point over the grey boxes and select as you select text normally. Then you can see the text.

Mercutio. That's what I thought. I'm pretty sure it says in OotP that Regulus knew Voldie was after him, so perhaps he wasn't so dumb as everyone thought. I'm gonna scour the books for other R.A.B's soon as I get chance. Regulus is a good bet though, as little has been made of him. And that's a JKR trait.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #189
Mercutio

...and Rowling went to the trouble of giving Sirius's brother a first name, middle initial, and teeny tiny bit of supposed history.

He seems the only logical choice, unless R.A.B. means "R---- and B----" . (But I doubt it).

Old 07-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #190
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I agree, and I hope it means we see more of Grimmauld Place in the next book. It was a pity that Harry didn't get to use his inheritance (even if he didn't really want it).

The biggest disappointment for me was a lack of info about the Marauders and Lily.
Lupin was barely there (and something about his characterisation seemed off all through the book - mainly his speech) until all of a sudden he's we find out he's secretly in love with Tonks.
Very dubious about that...
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #191
Mercutio

Harry now has an excuse to go to Grimmauld Place more (with his inheritance), especially if he won't be entirely at Hogwarts. And Rowling took an awful lot of time introducing Harry's new house-elf from Grimmauld (what's his name?). I don't think that new character is ended yet (and he wants to go to Bella, not Harry). Hmm...

Old 07-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #192
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Thanks So Much

[QUOTE=Elfmaster XK]Spock they're spoiler tabs so if anyone who hasn't read HBP comes across the thread then they won't see what I've written, and hence get angry I revealed spoilers. To see what I wrote put your mouse point over the grey boxes and select as you select text normally. Then you can see the text.

Well, I see now how I can see, but I don't want to and so that's fine. I've still no idea how to do that but hey, I'm not the all knowing Oz.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:45 PM   #193
Mercutio

Here's a sample. You can read what's below, it's not actually a spoiler to Harry Potter. To see how it's done click "quote" on this post.

This is a sample of what "spoiler text" is, and how it works.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:07 PM   #194
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

..ahh, but I must left click and hold down then move the mouse along to read it....thanks for helping.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #195
Mercutio

I saw this on another board, thought it was an interesting theory.
I have a friend who believes that, before going to the cave, Snape and DD consumed the Polyjuice Potion and switched places. She claims that from the chapter on DD was acting out of character so on and so forth (i.e. being for agitated with Harry, using his scarred hand without pain). Personally, I think it more than unlikely, but again, anything is possible in Harry Potter.

Me again:
That would explain Snape ("really DD") being so keen on instantly killing Dumbledore ("really Snape"), and why Dumbledore ("really Snape") froze Harry when Malfoy was there.

Edit:
Can Dumbledore's portrait help Harry?

Last edited by Mercutio : 07-18-2005 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #196
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

Mercutio, interesting theory, and i would love that to be true, because that would show true genius in rowling,and also i like the harry/horcrux thing, cause that would make him have to kill himslef and voldemort at once, or make a horcrux of his own. . .
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:39 PM   #197
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Got the book yesterday afternoon...finished last nite!

I was right...Snape WAS the half blood prince. And if you read what Hermione says then the textbook was originally owned by his mother, making 50 years ago possible. Snape inherited the book later.

The one thing that kept itching at the back of my mind was, where is Dumbledore's mysterious brother? You'd think he'd have been at the funeral. And will he have a part to play in book 7? He WAS a Order member. Can't even remember his name...

It just seemed strange he didn't show up...and if he was dead it would have said right?

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 07-18-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #198
Mercutio

There's also Amelia Bones (she fits the A.B. part at least.)

Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 PM   #199
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

finrod, its aberforth.
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:00 AM   #200
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I still think Snape may well be good. There are two reasons I have for this belief.

1# Theme. It would be a rather ugly twist to Harry Potter's theme to say, "trust is not good."

2# Dumbledore's reason. Dumbledore was certain of Snape's loyalty. Even the book characters noted that he seemed to have an "iron clad" reason for believing in Snape. J.K. Rowling did not make it at all clear what this reason was in Book 6. This implies it still is important, for J.K. Rowling exposes everything that isn't important at the end of her books. It's a logical and tidy way of doing things.

I note with pleasure that at the end of book 6, the Dark Arts job at Hogwarts is once again vacant .

It seems to me that Voldemort may well be in quite a tight spot, in book 7. I believe Snape is probably still good. Wormtail also may turn on Voldemort. He's got the three Malfoys too squirming under his leadership.

Outside of his own ranks, he's got a mysterious R.A.B. messing with him as well as Harry, who may well be his most dangerous opponent left.

It isn't looking too good for Voldemort, if you ask me. Though I note that his war against all goodness seemed to be working out brilliantly for him in book 6. The Death Eaters too seemed more challenging opponents then they were in book 5.

One thing I have some difficulty with in book 6 is an apparent contradiction in Snape's powers. James was able to clobber him in book 5. Three teenagers were able to beat him in book 3. However, we also see Snape as such a brilliant Occlumens that he can decieve either Dumbledore or Voldemort. Either deception would be an amazing feat. We also see Snape able to do those amazing things he did with his Potions book and Dark Arts spell making.

So I'm confused.

Harry is going to have to become a good Occlumens . He has to . I really am pleased that he's going to leave Hogwarts for book 7 and wander around hunting pieces of Voldemort. It's a good plot thread. I honestly expected the sort of thing that was happening in book 6 to happen in book 7. The school battle, Dumbledore's death, all that kind of thing. I thought it would all be in book 7. I'm very pleased to be wrong . J.K. Rowling also wrote Dumbledore's death very well, IMO.

One very fascinating thing we might see developed in book 7 is Harry's temptation to use the Dark Arts. In book 5 it looked like just a piece of the moment when he was shooting his angry Dark Arts spells at Bellatrix. Forgiveable. Spontaneous. His use of the Dark Arts in book 6 though is another matter, to me. It seems like it's becoming more of a problem, particularly as Snape points out his frequent use of them in book 6. His use of them against Snape also implies he's becoming more attached to them. He'll probably have to make a final decision to reject them in book 7. Perhaps Scrimgeour will start having Aurors use them, and it'll become more of an issue.

J.K. Rowling is doing very well indeed with her plot and story . I'm looking forward to her next book- and to listening to Harry Potter book 6 on audio cassette. I may want to reread the book sometime too.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 07-19-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote