Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2005, 04:16 PM   #181
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I didn't think that was quite right which is why I didn't reply.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 05:57 PM   #182
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Eh, it's a tiny mistake, really, and easily made--I should've been more clear in my post by having Kalin say something. It's more my fault than BB's .
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #183
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
You didn't quite get it right BB:

Harn and Lanor are scouting off ahead, the rest of the party, including Kalin, are getting their horses together and riding after the ranger and the woodsman.

er so? how is that wrong? I don't understand you: sorry! No ones asked someone who has just encountered the orcs any relevant questions about them: i just thought it odd thats allL harn ans the stranger walked past saying nothing and rode off possibly with the girl on his horse? beryn went to gather the troupe and kalin did similiar i think??

Only the Dunedain has come over for the chat as advised by yourself since we can't do anything else just yet as directed by you in this dscussion thread!

what i didn't i get right?

yours in confusion
best BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:28 AM   #184
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Okay:

You said that the 'three' of them couldn't take on that many orcs. Only two people went, Harn and Lanor. Neither Harn nor Lanor rode their horses, and they're basically running ahead to scout out the area. The girl is on Harn's horse, but Harn's horse is still with the group.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:25 AM   #185
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

ahh! I see. yeah i wondered about that: harn's upset about a girl's death ... right lets get after these dangerous orcs ... and get that girl onto my horse! ( i read as .. she's coming too! ) sorry i assumed they'd rode ahead: thought it was a bit odd to put the girl unesseacareily into the firing line.

Thought old Harn wasn't thinking straight! i.e what's really on his mind going off with this mysterious shadowy stranger? Is there to be a plot twist? etc etc

... we await in anticipation ....

best BB
Old 06-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #186
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

thanks td!
Much appreciated.

I woildn't ask ... but fletch is knackered and we'd only have problems with everyone else on horseback and fletch legging it ... and i think everyone is agreed its time to hit the road!
Old 06-04-2005, 09:59 AM   #187
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
I thought beryn might be interested as she had just wondered with a smile i think how Harn would react to yet another wanderer joining the party!
Mja, now that I read your explanation, that could have been possible. But just so you'd know, the fact that I took Beryn into the opposite direction was not intended to spite you but simply because I couldn't think of a good way of continuing with that story line. Since it would no doubt have required Beryn to wait for Harn's reaction (which I certainly couldn't write myself) so that would have meant forgoing posting and to wait until Tessar posted. Which I didn't feel like at that point.

Quote:
( tessar: hold up a mirror up to earniel and you'll see Butterbeer reflected back accidentaly doing the opposite: being IC in the discussion thread: oops sorry!)
*sticks out tongue* You lot are not going to let me forget that little incident for the rest of the game, aren't you?

FYI, I'm going to assume here that Beryn had had some time to speak to Selwythe's character, Telin, off-screen and was able to at least learn her name and such. After all, not every conversation has to be written out in the game, I think we can assume at least some conversations take place off-screen.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #188
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I've got a reply in the works, but I need to let it rest till tomorrow because I've got choir.

The plot thickens!!! O_o
Old 06-06-2005, 03:32 PM   #189
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I appologize--I went out to help work a booth at a fair and I ended up with some minor heat stroke that knocked me out for the day.

I'm writing it now .

I'm still feeling a little dizzy and out of it today, so this may not come out quite te way I want it to--let me know if there are any glaring problems .

Last edited by Tessar : 06-06-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:15 PM   #190
Earniel

Take a good night rest, oh fearless leader. We need you to be fit.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #191
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

second that! No rush!

keep up the good work... we're moving!

btw totally disregard that stream of conciousness on the temp vt ...

as i edited it .. was just a thought that popped in - meant nothing by it in any way shape or form ... sorry if it confused you: i re-read it and toallly agree it was ...er.. very open to mis-interpretaion .. or perhaps any interpretation?

best
BB

ps Beryn / Earniel .... i'm too busy talking off screen to Anfal to keep an eye out on you!

Hey! its an rpg: i think you two have cooked up a sound sub-plot there ... good work -

psst ... i think fletch will not be any trouble though - unless you care to cross him! his (also) bark is worse than his bite!

best
BB
Old 06-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #192
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm not sure there's anything to disreguard as I honestly couldn't make heads or tails of what you were saying--it was probably more my head than your writing.

I'm gonna go to sleep now .
Old 06-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #193
Earniel

I'm not sure I got everything in your post of yesterday, Butterbeer. We dropped you off at your camp, you gathered your belongings, you and Anfal caught up with us, and even passed us and left us behind (?) until Beryn came to tell you to slow down, yes? I'm not sure I quite follow. Why would you go past us? And wouldn't Anfal have stopped you if you were too lost in thought to notice the rest lagged behind?

I also think you mixed up Beryn and Kalin at some point too. Lanor came to tell something to Kalin and not Beryn. And the Elf would have probably been a better choice to come and tell you two to slow down. (For one, his horse is no doubt faster. )

Quote:
ps Beryn / Earniel .... i'm too busy talking off screen to Anfal to keep an eye out on you!
You keep an eye on her all you like, she has given you little reason yet to keep her in your sights but she'll gladly keep an eye on you for evens.

Quote:
Hey! its an rpg: i think you two have cooked up a sound sub-plot there ... good work -
Thank you for the compliment, but I can't take the credit for it. Beryn and I are going with no more information than the rest of the players have. The only one holding all the cards is our fearless leader. Watch out for him, folks, he's a tricksy one. See how he got us all to distrust Lanor with only a few hints when the poor man has given us as good as none cause to distrust him. Tricksssy, I tell you!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:07 PM   #194
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well i'll have to re-read what i put but i think its ok

fletch having Ravenlock's pendant in his hand was emotional and upon mounting supersonic spurred on fast, anfal i guess picked up on the emotion and kept pace out of both comaraderie and also to be safe and keep him company

they fell behind initially by going just off track to the camp .. beryn had been told to keep an eye on fletch by Kalin and did just that riding back to see what was happening.. she saw he was getting his horse and rode back on

so they had to ride fast anyway to catch up but in fletch's eagerness started naturally to ride ahead, whereupon beryn keeping an eye on fletch caught up and advised them to keep shape with the rest of the company

whaddya mean evens? youre the one keeping an eye on me

anyway i was kidding : for evens as you put it! and the talking off screen was just following up on your earlier post about knowing peoples names etc

regarding lanor: your right: but i don't trust him - in this thread: in the other one i have no reason not too.

best
bb

PS Earniel: well we tried everything but Olmer i fear will not be Lured not even kicking and screaming!
No one can say we didn't try though!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #195
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Butterbeer, I just noticed that your horse is named Supersonic. Would you mind changing that name? I don't think it really fits in with the Tolkien World, since it holds futuristic meaning. Maybe something like 'Wind Speed' or 'Hawk Wings' would work?

Thanks for understanding guys--I really only have a vague recollection of what happened the day I was out in the sun, and the day I wrote the RPG post. I see I didn't exactly move the plot forward much, now did I?

Hehehe. Oh well. MOVING RIGHT ALONG....
Old 06-08-2005, 12:58 PM   #196
Earniel

Quote:
well i'll have to re-read what i put but i think its ok
Having read your post it makes more sense. Just for the chance it comes up again: Beryn won't be keeping an eye on you like a jailor. Sure, she'll pay more attention to what you're doing because Kalin asked her, but she isn't going to always be two steps behind you and peer over your shoulder. It's not her style. If Anfal is with you, she'll probably trust him enough to keep you out of trouble.

Quote:
anyway i was kidding : for evens as you put it! and the talking off screen was just following up on your earlier post about knowing peoples names etc
Oh I see. Well, then, carry on.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:38 PM   #197
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

carry on camping .... (british old comic series of films ... )

* SFX: diddddley-didddlee -do ! WHAH Whah hwa waaaa! *

er yeah fine, ill think of a better name for me horse ...

'supersonic' came from the fellowship of the ringwraiths, which came from the nazgul horses (and other) threads ...... ps thanks again Earniel for that insired intervention

ps
Fletch is not even aware you were keeping an eye on him: he thought the constant eye contact was because you fancied him

(just to be clear: i'm kidding! )

has Beryn even met Anfal before? she arrived from the wildeness with kalin - not even knowing Harn well if at all? why should she trust him Anfal ? esp when it appears Harn pretty much blanks a fellow ranger ( no offence btw TD - just curious)

he may be a ranger but harn hardly gave him the time of day when they met nor seems to trust him with any role, even with him being a ranger .... (nothing personal TD or to your character: just wondering about the logic is all) going off tracking with some complete unknown bloke and leaving the ranger to do whatever - for which fletch for one is grateful ...

and hey! how do you know Fletch won't get Anfal himself into trouble?

and besides anyone who lives the way fletch does is well capable of getting themselves out of trouble ( from sheer experience ) and imho Anfal does not need baby-sitting either: it's just a good job neither character is a mind reader!

best BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 06-08-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #198
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Harn doesn't trust Fletch because Fletch is young and emotional, and just appeared out of no where. Harn hasn't been 'nice' to anyone during the RPG.

Harn does, to a degree, trust Lanor because Lanor seems to be around his own age, and has a similar attitude towards life. Not just those, but Lanor saved Harn's life by shooting the orc that was sneaking up on him.

Even Beryn, who is a friend of Kalin, hasn't gotten much of anything from Harn.

Don't over-analize every sentance BB .
Old 06-09-2005, 05:10 PM   #199
Earniel

Quote:
ps thanks again Earniel for that insired intervention
You're welcome.

Quote:
ps
Fletch is not even aware you were keeping an eye on him: he thought the constant eye contact was because you fancied him

(just to be clear: i'm kidding! )
Tsssk, tssk, what will dear Ravenlocks say? She's only kidnapped a few hours and her man is already looking at other women. Out of sight, out of mind, they say. Men these days....

Quote:
has Beryn even met Anfal before? she arrived from the wildeness with kalin - not even knowing Harn well if at all? why should she trust him Anfal ? esp when it appears Harn pretty much blanks a fellow ranger ( no offence btw TD - just curious) [...]and hey! how do you know Fletch won't get Anfal himself into trouble?
Beryn met Anfal only the night before, but judging by the scene in the Inn that night, Harn seems to know Anfal well. Ergo Beryn will be able to trust Anfal enough to handle anything that Fletch can throw at him. Oh, she doesn't know Harn any longer than that either (I think), they're definitely not friends like Kalin and Harn are. But Beryn has known Kalin for a longer time (off-screen, yes ) and she will trust his judgement of the sour ranger.

Whereas Fletch turned up at the burnt village and has no one to vouch for his trustworthyness. When you think of it, your situation is pretty odd as well. The orcs came over to kidnap Eaol specifically. And then suddenly they decide to take a girl, they happen to come across, with them too. 's a bit strange, no? Suspicious even. You might as well be in league with the orcs and pretend to be a distaught lover in a bid to infiltrate Harn's group.

EDIT: Things are afoot now and there only 3 or 4 of us playing. Shouldn't we send the rest of the 'dormant' players a wake-up PM? They're going to be missing out on all the fun! Orc-smashing! Wheee!

Last edited by Earniel : 06-09-2005 at 05:16 PM.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #200
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I sent out some PMs a week ago and got a few replies.