Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Ohlsson and Holm are being solid

Holm until 2.32

Ohlsson's last jump 17.79
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 01:57 PM   #182
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Norway have won another gold medal, as expected. In sailing, Siren Sundby was in the lead before todays race, and she won her race today in the women's Europe dinghy class.

What I'm looking most forward to tonight is the men's 100m final. That's almost as good as watching gymnastics.

Last edited by Artanis : 08-22-2004 at 01:59 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 03:49 PM   #183
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Yeah! Sweden won two more gold medals today! Christian Olsson won the men's triple jump. He jumped a good 17.69 metres in his first jump and that would have been sufficient to win the gold. But in his second jump he broke the Swedish record with a phenomenal 17.79-metre-jump. He's the king

The men's high jump was really exciting. At first it looked like if Stefan Holm wouldn't win a medal at all, but he managed 2.34 on his third attempt and was the only one over 2.36. He's king as well

Two gold medals in athletics on the same day for Sweden. That's decent
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 04:47 PM   #184
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Congrats Sweden fot the medals in athletics. Both very impressive

Spain still has no gold medal: 6 silver and 1 bronze I hoped today we could get gold in Tennis (women doubles), but Conchita & Ruano were defeated by the chinese pair.

BTW, I'm impressed with the performance of China in these Games

EDIT: I've just checked the official site and have seen that they're again in the lead: 22 golden medals!!!

Last edited by Fat middle : 08-22-2004 at 04:55 PM. Reason: completing post
Fat middle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 05:21 PM   #185
Jonathan

Thanks FM

The US isn't far behind. They have 21 gold medals, but in total they have more medals than the Chinese. They have more than 50 medals while the Chinese have a few medals fewer.

Sweden is on 16th place with our 3 golds and 1 bronze
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:50 PM   #186
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

darn swedes!

no, just joking. sweden has some great athletes. congratulations to jon and sweden!

oh, and too bad for the uk in women's marathon. it was really interesting to watch!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:15 PM   #187
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaewen
What was nice, RÃ*an, me wishing them luck?
Yes, the "congratulations" and the "best of luck".

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 11:50 PM   #188
Mercutio

http://sports.chron.com/default.asp?...BON3445338.htm

Dissapointing--"American Matt Emmons was nearly assured of his second gold medal in shooting at the Olympics on Sunday, until he made a crucial mistake by firing at the wrong target in the 50-meter 3-position rifle event." He was in lane two but accidently fired into lane three, dropping him from 1st to 8th.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:16 AM   #189
BeardofPants
the Shrike

NZ got another gold, thanks to Sarah Ulmer in the cycling, who broke the previous world record (also which was also hers). Two golds, not bad for a small lil' itty bitty piece of land.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:26 AM   #190
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

BoPper, does NZ still have good middle-distance runners? I remember they used to in the 1970's... uh, but I guess those guys'd be kinda on the old side now, eh?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 02:40 AM   #191
Artanis

Congrats to Sweden! Stefan Holm was impressive. And Olsson wasn't bad either.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:37 AM   #192
Jonathan

The bronze match in table tennis just ended. Swedish Jan-Ove Waldner won the first set but lost the four next ones. Congratulations to Chinese Wang Liqin for winning the bronze!

China can win the gold as well, if Wang Hao can beat South Korean Ryu Seung Min in the final. But I think China has enough gold medals already
Old 08-23-2004, 07:34 AM   #193
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Thanks FM

The US isn't far behind. They have 21 gold medals, but in total they have more medals than the Chinese. They have more than 50 medals while the Chinese have a few medals fewer.

Sweden is on 16th place with our 3 golds and 1 bronze
I wonder who would be on top if you factored in the population? Probably oz.

Australia: 12/20m
Sweden: 3/9m
GB: 6/60m
USA: 21/250m
China: 22/1,000m

And how many medals do you think the lawyers are going to win?

Last edited by The Gaffer : 08-23-2004 at 07:38 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:57 AM   #194
Jonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
China can win the gold as well, if Wang Hao can beat South Korean Ryu Seung Min in the final. But I think China has enough gold medals already
Nope, no 23rd gold medal for China. They might still be the best nation in table tennis but they lost to the South Korean in the final. This Korean guy is quite new to the sport but I think he will be a nail in the eye of the Chinese in the Olympics in Beijing in 4 years

Last edited by Jonathan : 08-23-2004 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:15 PM   #195
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
Dissapointing--"American Matt Emmons was nearly assured of his second gold medal in shooting at the Olympics on Sunday, until he made a crucial mistake by firing at the wrong target in the 50-meter 3-position rifle event." He was in lane two but accidently fired into lane three, dropping him from 1st to 8th.
I saw a little newsclip on that last night - how awful! Poor guy! He must have been really tired or something. The clip was very brief, but the targets looked like they were very close, and of course they're all identical, so I could see how that would happen.

I saw about a minute ( I wish they'd show more!) of women's archery. The last shooter (S. Korean?) really pulled out a clutch shot - she needed (IIRC) a 9 (outer bullseye) to win, an 8 to tie, 7 or below to lose the gold - she nailed a 10! (inner bullseye)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:34 PM   #196
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

We've won all 5 matches in Basketball. Today we've defeated NZ (sorry BoP ) sending them home instead of the Serbs, who played very dirty against us

and after that, we'll probably have to play quaterfinals with USA Unless Puerto Rico defeats that greeks tonight (I think they're not too motivated for that )

It's not fair. Even though the "Bad Dream" have lost two matches, I think that after finishing qualification in the lead we should have earned an easier match in quarters
Old 08-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #197
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well considering how poorly the US has played and how great Spain has been playing I dont know if I would really consider this a horrible draw. Spain is 5-0 and the US is 3-2. And Pau Gasol is playing out of his mind and has played all the guys on the US team so they will have their hands full with Spain. Dont be surprised if they beat them. Although I do think the US finally is showing its playing better as a team. Especially in their anihilation of Angola.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #198
Artanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat middle
We've won all 5 matches in Basketball. Today we've defeated NZ (sorry BoP ) sending them home instead of the Serbs, who played very dirty against us

and after that, we'll probably have to play quaterfinals with USA Unless Puerto Rico defeats that greeks tonight (I think they're not too motivated for that )

It's not fair. Even though the "Bad Dream" have lost two matches, I think that after finishing qualification in the lead we should have earned an easier match in quarters
Hehe, I read your first sentences about winning and thought: Why the heck is he putting up all those mad faces? Well I got it in the end.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:28 PM   #199
Janny
The Blobbit

On behalf of Great Britain, I would like to gloat about the success of Kelly Holmes in the 800m! Britain's 7th gold for women in track and field in 70 years... it doesn't happen often.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #200
Artanis

Hey Gordy! Spain has won their first gold medal! Gervasio Deferr won men's vault final, gymnastics. And Patricia Moreno got bronze medal in the women's floor exercise. Congrats!
And who knows what the Spanish beach volley team can do, they've reached the final.