Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #181
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Yes, but I think it's an important point, and sometimes strong language puts the point across better. So on occasion, I'll use it.
I'll drop it for this is totally off topic . But for the record, I disapprove!
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #182
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Humans are definitely difficult!

They're also wonderful, glorious, interesting, fun, amazing, etc.

But they are only part of reality, and I continue to fight against the opinion that some have that truth is necessarily difficult/complex. I think that there are simple truths, too. IMO, the difficulty of a concept has nothing to do with whether or not it is true.

EDIT - Lief, disapproval noted

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 03-27-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #183
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
I continue to fight against the opinion that some have that truth is necessarily difficult/complex. I think that there are simple truths, too. IMO, the difficulty of a concept has nothing to do with whether or not it is true.
The difficulty is that many find it hard to understand that "truth" is a concept which has been created by humans and thus has a relative meaning to humanity as a whole and an equally relative meaning to each and every individual.

This leads to paradox (another human concept that has more to do with language than reality ) since truth, by definition, is universal but, in practice, never is.

In other words, "truths" seem to contradict one another and seem difficult/complex because we have given far more power to the word "truth" than humanity has the ability support.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #184
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
The difficulty is that many find it hard to understand that "truth" is a concept which has been created by humans and thus has a relative meaning to humanity as a whole and an equally relative meaning to each and every individual.
Do you mean that if humans weren't around, there would be no truth? Such as, the earth exists; normal horses have 4 legs; the dog just jumped into the lake, etc.

Sorry, brownie, you gotta support that more before I'll accept it!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:26 PM   #185
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

"whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist."
R.W. Emerson
Old 03-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #186
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Do you mean that if humans weren't around, there would be no truth? Such as, the earth exists; normal horses have 4 legs; the dog just jumped into the lake, etc.

Sorry, brownie, you gotta support that more before I'll accept it!
Would there be lies if humans weren't around? There wouldn't be "truth", as such, though of course there would be reality. Which was what I meant with my last post.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #187
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
The state of reality is viewed differently by different individuals. That doesn't mean reality is relative, but that people differ.
Quote:
This leads to paradox (another human concept that has more to do with language than reality ) since truth, by definition, is universal but, in practice, never is.
Odd that you say paradox has more to do with language than reality. We're defining truth as the state of reality. Truth is what is. It is what's so. People's views of what's so differs, but that doesn't mean that what's so differs. I might relax on my comfortable chair and say it's comfortable. Someone with a back problem might lounge on the chair and say it's uncomfortable. That doesn't mean truth, or the state of reality, changes. It means that people differ.
Quote:
In other words, "truths" seem to contradict one another and seem difficult/complex because we have given far more power to the word "truth" than humanity has the ability support.
Truth is simply what is. If I say you're a pleasant gentleman and someone else says you're an idiot, that doesn't alter the truth of what you are. The truth of what you are doesn't change based on what we think. We don't have that much power.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:02 PM   #188
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falagar
Would there be lies if humans weren't around? There wouldn't be "truth", as such, though of course there would be reality. Which was what I meant with my last post.
There wouldn't be concepts of truth without life. There would still be truth though, because truth is simply the state of reality. It is what is. There wouldn't be lies though, because lies are claims that contradict reality. There wouldn't be anyone to claim anything that contradicts reality without life.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-27-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #189
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
"whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist."
R.W. Emerson
I like that quote a lot.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:11 PM   #190
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
There wouldn't be concepts of truth without life. There would still be truth though, because truth is simply the state of reality. It is what is. There wouldn't be lies though, because lies are claims that contradict reality. There wouldn't be anyone to claim anything that contradicts reality without life.
So basically, you are equating truth with reality? Truth is a concept, created by the sentient human race, whilst reality is, well, reality. The state of things, the state of existence of matter. Truth and reality are two entirely different things.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #191
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I don't think so. To me a critically important meaning of truth is "the state of reality". You're a nice young lady. That's the state of reality, the truth . IMO. If someone else sees it differently, that doesn't mean that there are two clashing truths. It just means that humans differ. I might be wrong or the other person might be wrong. What we believe isn't necessarily truth- it's belief about truth. It's opinion about the state of reality. And the actual state of reality is the truth.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-27-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #192
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
have you ever seen a mother bird pretending to be hurt to draw a cat away from her nest? that is a subterfuge on the part of the bird, definetely part of nature. a contradiction of the reality that the said bird is uninjured. just something to consider.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #193
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That's a real good point there, rohirrim! Good one. Yes, it's true, there's all kinds of subterfuge in nature. Butterflies with fake eyes on the wings, animals that puff up to trick their enemies, the list goes on and on.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #194
rohirrim TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
So basically, you are equating truth with reality? Truth is a concept, created by the sentient human race, whilst reality is, well, reality. The state of things, the state of existence of matter. Truth and reality are two entirely different things.
could you explain that to me? I think I missed something...let me think...hmm I'm not getting it. truth and reality seem quite synonymous. perhaps if I were less lazy I would look up the definitions, but as it stands could you possibly explain what difference you seem to see in them?
Quote:
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:22 PM   #195
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

There are many definitions of truth, I was refering to this definition:
Quote:
2. A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #196
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
have you ever seen a mother bird pretending to be hurt to draw a cat away from her nest?
No, but on a nature film I saw a bird do that to draw away a monitor lizard. Very interesting to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
that is a subterfuge on the part of the bird, definetely part of nature. a contradiction of the reality that the said bird is uninjured. just something to consider.
But the truth is that this was a subterfuge. The truth is the reality that the bird tricked the cat. The truth to the cat would be that the cat was injured, but that is merely belief about the truth, it isn't the truth itself. Animals and people make mistakes about what the truth is.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #197
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

(in response 2 Rohirrim)

Truth - a concept. Humans think about truth, they want to call something true or false.

Reality - the state of existence. Things exist, the universe exists, we exist. That is the reality of things, entirely independent of whether or not this person or that person believes reality to be true, false, or a mixture of both, or neither, or whatever.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #198
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falagar
There are many definitions of truth, I was refering to this definition: 2. A statement proven to be or accepted as true.
Okay. I totally, emphatically disagree with that interpretation of truth. That's an interpretation I would never use or go by. I would use statements proven or accepted as true to make an argument, but these are simply statements that have (hopefully) strong evidence supporting that they are true. That doesn't make them any less beliefs about truth. Beliefs about truth is all such statements are.

That is why when people say, "you have your truth, I have my truth," or, "we all have our own different truths," I utterly, totally disagree. We all have our own beliefs and our own opinions. We don't have our own truths.

So I guess any disagreement we have (and this goes for Lotesse and Rohirrim too) largely just comes from different definitions of the word truth.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 03-27-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #199
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
That's a real good point there, rohirrim! Good one. Yes, it's true, there's all kinds of subterfuge in nature. Butterflies with fake eyes on the wings, animals that puff up to trick their enemies, the list goes on and on.
Absolutely right. It's true that they use subterfuge .

Old 03-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #200
rohirrim TR

Quote:
(in response 2 Rohirrim)

Truth - a concept. Humans think about truth, they want to call something true or false.

Reality - the state of existence. Things exist, the universe exists, we exist. That is the reality of things, entirely independent of whether or not this person or that person believes reality to be true, false, or a mixture of both, or neither, or whatever.
interesting, you know one might term the definition of "reality" as "absolute truth" or "TRUE truth" if that is your definition of course.
this is becoming an interesting exchange in semantics I must say.
Quote: