Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2004, 11:35 PM   #181
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
hehehehe you lot flame by making such ignorant statements.
??? Are you drunk? Or are you having difficulties with the English language? Just not sure what you said here.
Quote:
Shud i get a spanking ohh i would like that old janet can give me a spanking any time she wants to.
.... errk!... damn... if you only knew ... how much... I'm holding back.

Quote:
Im not saying there are easy answer but people on this board need to look at themselves and realise life isnt black and white
Holy sh...oes... that's about the most intelligent thing I've seen you post... ever.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:43 AM   #182
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Sween
Im not saying there are easy answer but people on this board need to look at themselves and realise life isnt black and white
I have always said that life is gray - not black and white. the starter of this thread wants the answer to be black and white though - that is that everything is America's fault and everyone hates us and that is why they attack us.

As for the Palenstinians versus the IRA - there is ONE big difference. Hamas and other palestinian groups want only ONE thing - that is the complete destruction of Israel. It was never the IRA's goal to destroy England. You can negotiate and reason with the latter - it however is impossible to do that with the former.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-23-2004 at 12:46 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #183
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Then are all terrorists motives to be examined in your shades of grey? My perusing of previous posts leads me to believe that the Americans on this thread see them as only black and white.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:24 AM   #184
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Fenir_LacDanan
Then are all terrorists motives to be examined in your shades of grey? My perusing of previous posts leads me to believe that the Americans on this thread see them as only black and white.
That's because you've only read what you choose to read. You seem to see things yourself in black and white.

Different terrorists groups have different motives (or so they say) for their actions. I don't see any justification for murdering innocent people, no matter where they are in the world. You seem to think there is. I'm just curious, but are you under the age of 15? Your posts give me the distinct impression that you are not capable of mature thought.

Last edited by Ruinel : 03-23-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:17 PM   #185
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
As for the Palenstinians versus the IRA - there is ONE big difference. Hamas and other palestinian groups want only ONE thing - that is the complete destruction of Israel. It was never the IRA's goal to destroy England. You can negotiate and reason with the latter - it however is impossible to do that with the former.
You cannot negotiate with terrorists. That's not a good policy.

You stick wanting to show the difference between Al-Qaida and Hamas and IRA and ETA. It's true there is a difference but what makes them terrorists is not that difference, but what they all have in common: the use of violence against a democratic society.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #186
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
I don't see any justification for murdering innocent people, no matter where they are in the world.
Totally agree. (That why I was against the war too).

Also agree that you cannot negotiate with terrorists, but you can, and should, examine their motives, where they get their support from and how to undermine them.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:28 PM   #187
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaffer
Totally agree. (That why I was against the war too).
But letting Hussein murder and torture thousands and thousands of people is fine though. I suppose the fear of being dipped in acid is much better than the possibilty of democracy. Ifyou look at the polls done of Iraqi feelings - a far greater majority are glad that Hussein is gone and actually a majority of Iraqis support the war. They just want damn security.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:17 PM   #188
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
But letting Hussein murder and torture thousands and thousands of people is fine though. I suppose the fear of being dipped in acid is much better than the possibilty of democracy. Ifyou look at the polls done of Iraqi feelings - a far greater majority are glad that Hussein is gone and actually a majority of Iraqis support the war. They just want damn security.
That's only a valid argument if it were the reason President Bush gave the world for going to war. However, he validated his decision on weapons of mass destruction, saying they were an immediate threat, using imagery like mushroom clouds and using faulty data about ties between Iraq and al Qaeda. I think its great for the Iraqi people and I would have supported the war if the administration hadn't lied to its people to get us there and if we had some viable plan for what to do with the country once Hussein was gone. They may be safer now, but their are still suicide bombings and they are on the brink of an ethnic civil war.

If you want to validate war by saying you are saving people, say it, and have a plan on how to do it once the leader is ousted.

Katie
Katie of the Golden Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #189
azalea
Long lost mooter

re: irrational terrorists

One of the most chilling things that I heard after 9/11 was the accounts by the people who trained the terrorists to fly, and by people who lived in the neighborhoods where they lived. They learned to fly here in Florida, through small, private flight schools. They lived here among "us." It is scary to think that people could live here and then turn around and commit mass murder. I reiterate that they aren't necessarily madmen who can't think for themselves. They are looking at things much differently, and obviously they hate something about us so much that they can live here for a period of months or years, and still not change their mind about it. It's very sad and scary, and my point in all this is that we have to think beyond the "madmen" explanation if we want to really figure out the "whys" of the attack.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:08 PM   #190
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ruinel
Different terrorists groups have different motives (or so they say) for their actions. I don't see any justification for murdering innocent people, no matter where they are in the world. You seem to think there is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, apparently you are little selective of your reading as well...

quote:

Just a note:

I do not support terrorists in any way, and I personally regard them as cowards of the highest order.

I am merely arguing the motives behind attacks, this being American interference in foreign nations, and do not in any way advocate terrorism as an acceptable practice.

[flame bait deleted]

Watch the flames, Fenir...

--Khamûl
Old 03-24-2004, 09:18 AM   #191
Ruinel
Banned

Re: re: irrational terrorists

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
One of the most chilling things that I heard after 9/11 was the accounts by the people who trained the terrorists to fly, and by people who lived in the neighborhoods where they lived. They learned to fly here in Florida, through small, private flight schools. They lived here among "us." It is scary to think that people could live here and then turn around and commit mass murder. I reiterate that they aren't necessarily madmen who can't think for themselves. They are looking at things much differently, and obviously they hate something about us so much that they can live here for a period of months or years, and still not change their mind about it. It's very sad and scary, and my point in all this is that we have to think beyond the "madmen" explanation if we want to really figure out the "whys" of the attack.
They trained at Embry-Riddle. I know exactly where that is, too. It's located in Daytona Beach, Florida.

I wonder if they really interacted with the people at all. Does anyone know? It seems to me that in order for any human being to be able to tuck away their conscience and murder thousands of people all at once, they'd have to not think of them as people at all. Interacting with "us" would bring "our" humanity to light, and I think that would have made it harder for them to do (hopefully).
Old 03-24-2004, 09:27 AM   #192
Ruinel
Banned

The "why's" ...
...from what I understand of what Bin Laden has made public, his goal is to bring down the "Western World", not because of anything that the "Western World" has done to him or his, but because he doesn't like the influence of our (corrupt and non-Muslim) culture on his own.

He's chosen America as his target only because it seems more influential. If it had been France, the France would have taken the hit. If it had been Germany, or England, or Sweden... any of these countries would have taken the hit. I don't take what was done on 9/11 as an attack on me, personally. I take it as an attack against what America stands for only. That being an non-Muslim culture that has influenced his culture away from their traditional religious influences.

There's no getting around the influence of one culture on another when they trade or do any sort of business together.

I've read that France is their next target because of the head-scarf ruling for females in school. It's not even his country, and he wants to influence their laws. I don't agree with France's ruling, personally, but I have no say in their laws, as I do not live there.

...but I may be wrong on this... I don't follow everything that he's said from beginning to end.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:46 AM   #193
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
[flame bait deleted]

Watch the flames, Fenir...

--Khamûl
tisk tisk... ...can't we all just get along?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:48 AM   #194
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Damn. If...I....can....just.....fight.....of......the... ...tears.......

you got spanked before in this very forum. tisk tisk, indeed.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:38 PM   #195
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Damn. If...I....can....just.....fight.....of......the... ...tears.......

you got spanked before in this very forum. tisk tisk, indeed.
Ah, true... but it's expected and I'm used to it.

Everyone here knows that I'm an Elf with no self control. It used to be in my sig. You're extremely lucky... I used to be much, much worse. If I'd posted that last summer, you'd have been crapping charcoal for a month.

PS... you should fix the "of" to "off" in your post. It might sound better.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:17 AM   #196
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Yes, Headmistress, shall I write it one hundred times on the board?
Old 03-25-2004, 12:24 AM   #197
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Yes, Headmistress, shall I write it one hundred times on the board?
That'll do.

...for now.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:16 AM   #198
Glorfindel_of_Gondolin
Hobbit

I always considered modern terrorism getting its ideas from Vietnam, and specifically the Viet Cong.

Regardless for the reasons for the conflict (reasons that could have a thread all of their own), one fact is clear.

The VC, when faced with the massively superior technology, equipment, and far superior soldiers of the US, they could not stand and face them in open battle. For if they ever did, and when they did, they would be annihilated.

Thus the birth of their brand of terrorism, one of necessity. The US would have won the war in a week if the VC stood and fought, and the VC knew it.

That’s why they resorted to ambush, hit and run, and alike.

Not really on point, given the current argument, but one can draw parallels.

If terrorists every tried to fight America in a conventional war, they would certainly lose.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:23 AM   #199
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

They were fond of calling that "Guerrilla warfare" .

Last edited by Lizra : 03-26-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 12:17 PM   #200
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Isn't that what the Boers did in the Boer War as well?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote