Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2004, 02:34 PM   #181
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Gandalf

Yep, just looked at the list as well. It really isn't clear that the resolutions actually lead to any difference - does the website change the rules for voting etc if a resolution is passed saying the rule should be changed???? Not much point in joining if nothing changes when a resolution is passed. What say my fellow Nations?
Old 01-28-2004, 02:38 PM   #182
Beor
founder of the color blue

Gimli

I am of course in agreement, on some actual grounds. First of all, we are all new nations, and dont need to be bullied around by these so called "United Nations", second, I dont really think it does matter. I havent noticed if anything has changed. Perhaps ere the sun rises twice on the land of the Badger, something will change as a result of the vote.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:51 PM   #183
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I got the same issue as you Thranduil.

My Information Technology workers are on strike, demanding a 20% raise over 2 years! That's too much, but I don't want to fire the troublemakers either, that's not right. But I don't want Unions to gain too much power.

I wish I could just give them a small raise. I think I'll dismiss the issue.

What do you think guys?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-28-2004, 02:54 PM   #184
Beor

I would fire 'em. At least that way the people know that you are paying attention to their issues, and they know that you will not give, teaching them discipline and loyalty. Or they might rebel. Its cool, though, if you need any assistance crushing the rebellion, I have an army that will help.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #185
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel

My Information Technology workers are on strike, demanding a 20% raise over 2 years! That's too much, but I don't want to fire the troublemakers either, that's not right. But I don't want Unions to gain too much power.

What do you think guys?
I think I would give them the raise, although it is exaggerated - it's only a one time raise.
That is to prevent any worse situation.
I'm not sure, of course, that it's the right thing to do, but that's what I would do.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #186
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What's your country again Rad? I am going to give them a raise in hopes that it will stimulate our economy.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #187
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
What's your country again Rad? I am going to give them a raise in hopes that it will stimulate our economy.
Err.. Galadradagastia I beleive.

That is the only good thing to do there.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #188
Beor

I've been trying to have a little fun with my people, hope my warmongering didnt offend anyone. I guess I will just have to wait till tomorrow to see what happened due to my big-brother like police force. Later
Old 01-28-2004, 03:10 PM   #189
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:

What do you think guys?
its obvious, im not giving those idiots a raise, I chose to fire them, it does explain we will only fire the troublemakers, leaders you might say in the rebellion. Once the cocky ones are out and the others see what happens they will learn there place. My government will not be a pushover, bullied by little salesman that think there so important. Let them leave it they want.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:12 PM   #190
thranduil
Elven Warrior

Quote:
alright youve made the opposite decision then i made, tomorrow we will see whos economy is better off.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:13 PM   #191
Beor

Gimli

YEEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:15 PM   #192
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
The Department of Defense has put its case for a substantial increase in funding for the coming financial year.

The Debate
"These are turbulent times we live in," says Defense Chief Pete Mistletoe. "Turbulent and dangerous. And the only sensible response to that, of course, is to build a lot more weapons. Unless we get the funding we need, I can't promise that we'll be able to defend Fatmidland's sovereign borders from rogue nations and foreign powers. Or those leaky boatloads of refugees, for that matter."
[Accept]

"NO MORE BOMBS," chant the protestors outside Parliament House, in a repetitious and increasingly annoying appeal. Spokesperson Jazz Mistletoe, speaking through a feedback-afflicted microphone, says, "Fatmidland needs fewer weapons, not more! Make the world a safer place! Disarm now!"
I've decided not to support the funds raising for the army. We're having troubles that could be solved with more army, but I think our budget must be too short for paying a large army.

I suspect that the generous earnings from gambling are going directly to the Fat Brother's pockets
Old 01-28-2004, 03:20 PM   #193
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Thranduil & Nurvi... I'd be careful in either case. May be best to dismiss. Nurv - you already have a high tax rate... I wonder if the raise may only hurt your economy further by forcing taxes up? (assuming those are gov't workers) Thran - dismissing may do less damage than firing.

Anyway, let us know what your final actions are and the actual outcomes.

I guess this IS only a simple game, but it'd be nice if we weren't so limited with options. ie - if we were able to negotiate something in between 20% and nothing... or find a good alternative rather than three bad choices. Also - in this game we have to be primarily reactive rather than pro-active. Again, proactive options would take a very high level of complexity I imagine.

Sort of a game for 'armchair world leaders', eh?
Old 01-28-2004, 03:35 PM   #194
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

May I present you the 24th nation of the Great Continent of Entmoot :

The Constitutional Monarchy of Ranaland

UN Category: Inoffensive Centrist Democracy
Civil Rights: Below Average
Economy: Strong
Political Freedoms: Excellent

The Constitutional Monarchy of Ranaland is a tiny, pleasant nation, remarkable for its burgeoning frog population. Its hard-nosed, hard-working, intelligent population of 5 million have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.

The medium-sized government devotes most of its attentions to Law & Order, with areas such as Religion & Spirituality and Social Welfare receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 18%. A large private sector is led by the Soda Sales industry, followed by Beef-Based Agriculture and Woodchip Exports.

Crime is a problem. Ranaland's national animal is the frog and its currency is the hyla.

Yeah.

I may not have time to devote much of it to my spanking new country but we'll see.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:42 PM   #195
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Wow, the Great Continent of Entmoot is growing fast. We got 24 countries in less than 24 hours
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:43 PM   #196
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I can't find some of your countries for some reason. Can I not read all of a sudden, or has everyone not moved to our fair continent yet?
Quote:
Old 01-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #197
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
I can't find some of your countries for some reason. Can I not read all of a sudden, or has everyone not moved to our fair continent yet?
Actually, you need to click the 'full list'. When you go to the great continent of entmoot they only show all the rated countries. (I am not rated yet)
Old 01-28-2004, 04:06 PM   #198
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Thanks Radagast.

By the way JD, my civil rights are good now (prompted by my legalization of euthanasia). How often are you going to update the stats? They will probably change every day, but you could do the stats every 2 or three days.
Quote:
Old 01-28-2004, 04:16 PM   #199
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

yah, cuz my UN catagory is Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

pretty soon jonathan might also have to do this

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
Old 01-28-2004, 04:28 PM   #200
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
it says this in the faq
That's not the UN FAQ. That was the general management of your OWN issues - not the Un issues.

Quote:
The UN is your chance to mold the rest of the world to your vision, by voting for resolutions you like and scuttling the rest. However, it's a double-edged sword, because your nation will also be affected by any resolutions that pass. (You can't just obey the resolutions you like and ignore the rest, like real nations do.)
By the way - I think we should organize under a Constitution of some sort. This way we can decide on big issues together - like whether to join the UN or declare war and so forth.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide