Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #181
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

An uneasy thought passed through the mind of Khamûl soon after the others had left the house. A kind of disturbance as if something out of place had arrived. Guessing, but still unsure of what he had felt he left the house in search for the Chancellor, heading first for the game.
After five minutes walk he arrived at the stand. After telling security who he was he entered. He saw a few figures running about the field but nothing was happening except a few birdcalls from the Tharbad team. Seeing the Chancellor was nowhere to be seen he quickly left, wishing to avoid the mob leaving the ground. Quickly he made for the University, hoping to find the Chancellor there.
After another five minutes walk he arrived no the University grounds and soon found the Chancellor.
"My Lord," said Khamûl. "I have felt something strange. As if someone was arriving who ought not be here."
"You were correct Lord Khamûl," replied the Chancellor. "Udu has arrived. I know not why yet, but I trust you have a guess. He is at in the end chamber of my guests dwellings."
Whilst making his was towards the Professers apartments Khamûl spotted Gordis walking around the gardens. As he was about to call for her she quickly walked into the block of apartments. Quickly following her he noticed that she to was heading for Udu's apartment. Hanging back wishing to know what urgent business she had with him and wishing not to be seen or felt, he closed his minds thoughts. As he arrived outside Udu's door he heard the two of them deep in conversation.
"I chanced to meet Khamûl near the Gladden Fields. He was none too glad to see me, I think. When he left, I followed him. Of course, I am sure that he knew I was following him, but I guarded my thoughts and purposes quite well. He went west and after days of following him, I guessed what might be his destination. When he drew on towards the city, I rode into a grove of trees. He does not know for a certainty I was following him, surely. Maybe he thinks I went among the trees to rest and then continued on my journey elsewhere, north perhaps," he heard Udu saying.
'Fool. He guards his purposes not well enough anymore,' thought Khamûl. At this point Udu stopped feeling something, but smiled and continued.
After a few more minutes of hearing Udu's ramblings a distant scream broke out which Khamûl recognised almost immediatly.
"What in the name of Melkor was that?" said Udu's voice from inside.
"Lady Lilaewen," said Khamûl, walking through the door suddenly. "So I was right you did follow me. You learned to hide your thoughts well, yet I have improved since our last meeting. I can now read your mind like a book."
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 10-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #182
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum Viniglaen's Sunday Caper, pt. 3 - wherein Lômi Finally Gets Her Nap

When Viv got back to the house, no one seemed home but Zimra in the kitchen. Viv went upstairs to the bathing room to have a cool bath and wash her hair, thinking of her fun and even profitable morning. She stashed her three diamonds and ruby in one of her best secret places, and locked herself in the bathing-room for a leisurely late-morning wash-up.

'I can't wait to see Ray again,' she thought as she lazily massaged wild-rose scented shampoo in her hair, her eyes half closed and a little smile on her face.

After her bath, she dressed in a tomboyish pair of cream-coloured long pants made of linen, pulling a lavender silk-satin tunic over her head and snapping a little amethyst and mithril barrette in her hair. She pulled on her fawn kidskin shoes, and chose a flowing summer-woolen cream cloak to toss over her shoulders in case it got chilly. She was hungry, since by now it was lunchtime, and she really wanted to see her "family," and find out how the game had gone. Most of all she was anxious to find out what that short, interrupted Nazgul screech she'd heard earlier was all about; it had worried her more than a little. Who'd made it, and why? 'Probably Penny and Lilly at it again; one of the must have gotten carried away in one of their 'moments' together and then accidentally screeched,' she thought. 'Well, at least I HOPE that was all it was.'

Lômi the Large-Eyes was comfortably perched up in the branches of a tall, graceful cedar tree right outside Viv's boudoir window, with one foot comfortably drawn up into her feathers, enjoying a much-needed, much anticipated nap at last.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-02-2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #183
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

"Lady Lilaewen," said Khamûl, walking through the door suddenly. "So I was right you did follow me. You learned to hide your thoughts well, yet I have improved since our last meeting. I can now read your mind like a book."

"I see you have not yet learned to knock upon a door before entering a room," Udu laughed and relaxed his hold on the hilt of his dagger. "I thought that I smelled something rather unsavory, so I assumed that it must be you who was outside the door," he said sarcastically. "Since you think you can read my mind like a book, perhaps you can tell me what you find there."

Udu was enjoying this challenge. He had never liked the man from the first time that he met him, and continued years of being in his presence had only made matters worse.

"Now tell me, Lord Khamûl, since I do not, for an instant, suggest that I could read a deep, impenetrable mind such as yours, just exactly why Lady Lilaewen was shrieking at the top of her voice." Udu spoke soothingly, and if one did not know, one would think that he was sharing some jest with an old friend.

A powerful presence could be felt drawing nigh to them, and then the Chancellor strode through the doorway. His cold eyes glittered and his words were hard, brittle as glass.

"Why are you not looking about Lady Lilaewen? Do you now have so little to do that you intrude upon Aiwendis and the new professor, Maethor? I expect you to exert some more control over Lilaewen. She is in need of a reprimand. See to it now, Khamûl!" His words were not a request, but an order.

Udu hoped how soon that Khamûl would be gone. Aiwendis had just poured him another goblet of wine and he was looking forward to finishing it.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 10-02-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:00 PM   #184
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

But Udu’s hopes to finish his glass in peace enjoying a quiet chat with Gordis were thwarted. The Morgul Lord was still seething with anger. Turning his piercing eyes on Gordis, he hissed: "What in Angband are YOU doing here? Have you nothing to do today than to sit here listening to Udu’s tales? Go back to your duties and never enter a men’s room unattended. At least in daytime and fully visible."

Gordis hurried out glad to be dismissed. No one wished to stay near the Captain when he was in such a foul mood.

Udu fully expected his part of it now and he was not mistaken.

"You must be discreet, Udukhaturz. I know you well. You always have sweet words for wenches, but I will not allow you to use your charms on my household. Including the servants." With that, he turned around and stalked out of the room.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:42 AM   #185
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

"That was a most unpleasant interruption," reflected Udu as he sat, finally sipping his wine in peace. "The Captain did not even give me the opportunity to apologize."

He finished his goblet quickly and considered pouring himself another one, but decided against it. He must consider what he was going to do next.

"Perhaps it was a mistake ever coming here. Scarcely had I arrived and was just becoming accustomed to my quarters when Gor - Aiwendis walked in. Then there was Khamûl with his unchanging surly manner, and Lady Lilaewen someplace at the University with that horrendous shriek. Then for the finale, there was the Captain, who was most wroth with me. Perhaps I should go to the stable, saddle Minei, load my pack horses and return to the East again. My wives, my dependents, doubtless miss me, but not one here, save Aiwendis, perhaps, would even mark my going."

He was beginning to feel sorry for himself, that he knew, and he considered once again the ample supply of wine remaining. "I must decide," he thought, "now while I am still sober." He laughed at himself. "Perhaps," he mused, "I should seek out the Captain and offer him formal apologies, but I do not think I would be welcome at this time. Yes... perhaps it was a great mistake ever coming to Tharbad."

He rose to his feet, looked around at the room, surveying the surroundings. "Most satisfactory quarters, but I will take my leave of them for a while." He noticed the key hanging on a hook by the door, but he had nothing of value here. He was certain that anyone familiar with the place could enter his room, locked or unlocked, if they wanted. He did not bother to lock the door as he went out.

He made his way back to the livery stable and saw a notice tacked to the side of the building a placard announcing a horse auction. Now was the time that he must decide once and for all whether to stay or to leave. He thought again about his wives, his other dependents, his hall, his nobles, his hall, his flocks, his herds and all that he had left behind. He missed his wives sorely and thought perhaps he should have brought some of them with him. "No, no!" he thought. "That would cause quite a stir and I do not want to stand out in Tharbad. I fear I do that too much already."

He walked into the structure and noticing the head ostler, he told him that he would be selling the two pack horses at the auction. He gave the ostler a few coins, paying the board bill for his mare for a month. "I can always buy more pack horses when I leave," he thought.

So it was decided that he would stay, at least a while longer, to see if he could determine why Khamûl was lurking about the Gladden Fields. He saw a groom and told him about cleaning and polishing his saddle and bridle and then rented a small space to store his equipment.

Walking over to where he had left his gear, he put everything into one pack and slung it over his back. He felt much more comfortable knowing his longsword, daggers and knives were inside the pack. Patting Minei on the neck and promising that he would be back early the next day to exercise her, he walked out the door of the stable and began walking back to the University. Thus ended Maethor's first few hours in Tharbad.

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 10-03-2005 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:23 AM   #186
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

R*an smiled as she walked away from the little house. "Well, that's that!" she thought to herself with satisfaction. The oldest daughter of the farmer's wife had been most happy to take the housemaid's position at Orrodel - she was tired of watching her younger siblings, and wanted a change - and a salary! And R*an had been able to offer her a good one. "The Orrodel crowd may be a bit hasty," she thought, "but they DO pay well. And that sure makes it easier to hire good servants!"

"You better watch your manners around me now, Mr. Hasty-With-Your-Dagger, or I'm gone, and your smooth-running house with me!" After she had been at any place for a short time, she usually had the house occupants very willing to keep her happy, because a good housemanager was hard to find these days. And once they wanted to keep her, then she was free to do pretty much as she wished, as long as the house kept running smoothly.

She heard the roar of a crowd in the distance, and decided to check out the rochdel game. Finding a quiet stand of trees near the field, she swiftly climbed to the midway point of the tallest and settled down comfortably to watch the game. "I wish Earniel was with me - she was always so fun to be with, and I am starting to tire of humans a bit!" A small frown appeared on R*an's face as she thought of her friend's mysterious disappearance. What could have made her leave so suddenly?

Suddenly she saw a group of players run under the trees near hers, including Marty and Ray, and watched with interest until they ran off out of her sight again beyond the trees. They reappeared on the field, and Marty almost made it to the line before he was buried under a group of opposing players. But Marty didn't have the right sack, as her keen Elven sight had allowed her to notice! She laughed as Ray, unopposed, made it across the line for the win!

The next second, she was glad she was sitting securely in the "V" between two branches, for the sound she heard made her blood run cold and her body grow limp with terror.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-03-2005 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:58 AM   #187
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ray was euphoric! That little trick had won them the game, and it was still early! Granted it required him to take a ferocious beating, he was still happy. Not to mention he was nigh carried off the pitch along side Marty for the sudden upset.

That wasn't the only reason he was happy. He was in his mind planning all the places and mischief to start with Viv, once he saw her. Since it was early, the team, Ray and Marty were storming off to the Red Herring for post game drink off and boast-o-rama.

“Damn, Ray this was one hell of a good day for me! Not only did we win the game, which was a brilliant trick on your part, but I finally approached Lily without being scowled down by her brothers!” Marty managed to shout over to Ray as he was being carried. Even though they were well away from the pitch and approaching the bar, they showed no signs of putting Ray down, which was just as well as Ray wasn’t sure if his knees would support him.

Despite the rating of “soft,” the hard skulls and punches of the Stallion team members were no such thing. “It was a good day for me as well! I don’t think we’ve ever won a game so fast! And I never thought my luck would hold but it did!” Ray was finally deposited on a beer stool, with a hefty pint glass full of the premium fall ale shoved into his hand. Ray was grinning ear to ear, but felt the sides of his mouth tweak and something warm flow down the side of his face and in his mouth. Salty. Blood.

Damn…OUCH! Great, now I feel the cost of winning…cheaters, ha, they couldn’t hit hard enough on their own, so they used rocks…well, I fixed them. Ray thought with grim amusement. For indeed, the certain rock throwers were only at that moment in time after the game found unconscious under a tree. Ray dabbed his fingers in a passing glass of spirits and painfully applied it to the cuts.

After grinning and joking with his friends, and going through two sizable glasses of ale, Ray slipped off to the corner and dragged Marty aside. “Hey, I’m not feeling to well, and I wanna take it easy back in my room, and have my face looked at cause I think I got some nasty cuts. Tell Val when you get the chance, I don’t think my knees will support me if I try to wade through this mess to him.”

Marty eyed Ray, and grimaced at the cut Ray had felt going along his jaw line up to his left ear. “No problem man, that’s a good idea, we cant have you getting any uglier!” That earned him a punch to the chest. “Oof, well, I take it those fellas from Sarn Ford didn’t hit you hard enough! Yeah, I’ll tell him, so I take it you aren’t gonna come to the reception?” Even shouting, Marty wasn’t noticed by his fellows amid all the din. Since all the loud talking hurt his head, not to mention trying not to move his mouth to aggravate his cuts, Ray merely nodded. With that he staggered out the door and onto a horse, flipping the stable boy a coin, he rode off to his rooms.

Rather than live in the dorms, as most students, including Marty had opted for, he preferred having his own small place, close to a small quiet park. Ray was a fairly quite, private guy. He slithered off the mare’s back, and stalled her next to his great, big warhorse, a gift from his father for making it into the U alongside Valandil. He moseyed along up to his room and tiredly striped, and looked into the mirror. He was pretty bashed up. He carefully and very gingerly cleaned out his scratches and cuts, applying what healing arts and herbs he had, and drew himself a hot bath, filled it with salts and relaxed.

I wonder what mischief Viniglaen is going to get up too….? And what’s with the frog? his eyes suddenly lit up. Oh no, she wouldn’t…oh who am I kidding? Yes she would! I like this woman all the more!

He got out of his bath, dried off and got dressed. It was nearing dark, and the reception had well started by now. Ray grinned and donned his best night-sneaking-around-mischief-clothes and saddled his warhorse. “Well boy, we are going to have some serious fun tonight!”
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:07 AM   #188
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Edited....

Ray leapt onto Volricom, swaying a little bit, trying to gain mastery over his tired muscles. Managing that, he turned Volricom's head to the direction of Orrodel and Viv. Trying to maintain a dignified pace, it some how wound up into a canter. Raendil's father had chosen this horse carfully, in order for it to be a prefect match. Indeed it was, as the horse was very much like his master, adn equally level headed. But at the present, he was feeding off his master's excited energy and wanted to get moving!

Before either of them knew it, Orrodel loomed above them. Ray vaulted off Volri, and stumbled only slightly. He dropped the reigns and his horse stood stock still, save for the stamping of one hoof. Ray made it up to the house, knocking on the door, he was let in by some new servants that he had not seen the previous day. His eyes caught with Rian's as she was bustling about, he stepped forward. "Excuse me madam, but could you please inform Viv-er, Lady Viniglaen, that Raendil is here...?" Rian gave a slight smiled and headed upstairs.

Ray fiddled with his cloak and waited by the stairs.

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-03-2005 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #189
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Khamûl stormed out of the University annoyed at the Chancellor and Udu.
'So he thinks he can protect his mind from me. Well. I do no expect that the Chancellor will aprove of what he has been up to in the last 50 years,' thought Khamûl to himself. 'This will not be the end of this.'
Ten minutes later he arrived at Orrodel.
"Rian, Rian," shouted Galadannun. "Where are you, stupid elf."
"Sir, she's not here at the moment," replied Lily's maid.
"Not here? What do I employ her for. Round up the rest of the servants and tell them hey have an hour break," barked Galadannun at the slightly scared maid who quickly ran off.
"Hey. Gal, where are they all off to?" said Lily.
"That's Professer Galadannun to you. Now into the living room now."
Lily quickly walked in, not wishing to test Khamûl's patience.
"Now, give me your ring," said Galadnnun.
"What?" said Lily in disbelief.
"I said give me your Ring now," repeated Galadannun unsheathing his dagger and pointing it at Lily. Slowly Lily took off her Ring and placed it into Khamûl's hand.
"The Chancellor wasn't to happy with your episode at the game. Luckily no one guessed anything. But I warn you scream or do anything like that again and your pain will be greater than this will be."
He placed the Ring between his index finger and thumb.
"Never do that again," he said. With that he quickly ran his knife across the Ring.
Lily gasped and held her throat. She wouldn't die, but her pain was as great as it could be for a Nazgûl without death.
Making sure that no body was around Khamûl dropped Lily's Ring and left. He locked the door and slipped the key back underneath into the room, before heading up to his study.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 10-04-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #190
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Lilly understood little of what actually happened. One moment she was hopping on a chair enjoying the game and cheering, the other moment she found herself lying atop some kicking and moaning mortals, a sharp object stuck in her side. Bemused as she was by her fall, Lilly’s training made her quickly investigate the sharp thing at her ribs. She found that it was the tip of an umbrella. Slightly reassured, Lilly thought back and remembered Penny’s hands on her ankles pulling her down.
Acting on a first whim, as was her habit, Lilly disentangled herself and turned to Penny. Keeping a sweet smile on her face, she gave him a vicious kick under his right knee. Lilly’s ample skirts prevented the public from seeing this blow, but Five’s eyes clouded with pain, then blazed fiery red for a split second. Penny turned and stalked limping away, without as much as a word.

Lilly muttered a lame apology to the battered lady at her side and turned alone for home. She felt depressed, her hair a mess, her dress torn and muddied by the fall. Avoiding Marty, who was obviously looking for her, while his friends cheered him, she walked to Orrodel.

Her thoughts were far from cheerful. She remembered being reprimanded many times for needless shrieking. Lilly recalled how once she tore off her nail, while dragging a kicking orc down the corridor. When the wails of a nazgul in pain and distress rented the air of Barad Dur, all the Nine rushed to her rescue, even the Master Himself came to investigate. This first time Lilly spent a month locked in a narrow cell, unable to move and deprived of food or water. The experience was most unpleasant.

“O Morgoth, don’t let me be punished this time”, prayed Lilly silently.

Lilly climbed upstairs calling for her maid. Zimra helped her to wash and change into a loose house gown. Alone in the house, Lilly settled to await her doom. Now she was sorry she pushed Penny away.
“Penny, Vivvie”, thought Lilly, “why are you not here when I need you so much?”

Soon she heard Khamul’s heavily accented voice downstairs, dismissing the servants. Lilly shuddered. She would have much preferred to answer to the Captain himself, instead of facing the cruel Second.

"Hey. Gal, where are they all off to?" called Lily, trying to sound unafraid.
"That's Professer Galadannun to you, said Khamul, pushing her into the living room.

"Now, give me your ring," said Galadnnun his eyes piercing holes through her very soul.

"What?" said Lily in disbelief. It was incredible! No one has ever touched her Ring!

But Khamul was not joking; swift as a striking cobra, he had his dagger at her throat before she had time to react.
Slowly Lily took off her Ring and placed it into Khamûl's hand. Now she was invisible, save for her saumon house robe.

Khamul added some biting words, but Lilly had not heard them. Greedily and longingly she watched her ring - the source of her very life - in the Easterling’s hand.
Suddenly, the knife left her throat and scraped across the Ring. Lilly felt the wave of a powerful spell crush against her mind. Fire shot through her brain, and she fell to the floor writhing from pain.

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 10-03-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:12 PM   #191
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Penny limped along the street lost in the cheerful crowd. Soon he spotted a tavern with the sign of the Red Herring over the door. It was bigger and far more respectable than the riverside taverns, his usual haunt. But Penny’s knee still hurt awfully, he needed a drink badly, so he was not going to limp further down to the harbour.

Choosing a table on the terrace, he waved to a comely serving wench and ordered three bottles of Lebennin ‘24. While the wench was at it, he thought that perhaps this popular place even served Nurn, But it made no great difference to him now. He wanted to get drunk, quickly and completely. He wanted to forget Lilly’s insensibility and scorn.

Annawen watched the young man with much interest, soon turning to pity. She watched how he finished the first bottle almost in one swallow. . It was clear something was very wrong with him…

Last edited by CrazySquirrel : 10-03-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #192
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum Viniglaen Discovers the Hurt Lilaenwen

The afternoon lengthened, and Viv turned to stroll back home after getting her coney-and-herb sandwich at the deli down the street from Orrodel. When she got home, she went upstairs to change. She picked a very dark grey pair of men's style hunting leggings, pretty black polished leather riding boots with the soles muffled for noise by suede on the bottom, and a matching dark grey elven-style fitted tunic made of fine cashmere, with a very scooped neck trimmed with tiny diamonds sewn on, which showed off the fine lines of her collarbones. As she was brushing her hair, she heard Rian calling for her outside her boudoir door.

"Lady Viniglaen, there is a guest here to see you."

"Who is it?" Viv yelled from inside.

"I believe it's the young gentleman Raendil, from yesterday evening," Rian responded.

'Cool, he's here; perfect timing!' thought Viv. "O.K.," she called out, "tell him I'll be right there!"

Viv grabbed her dark grey suede calfskin gloves from her drawer, snapped up her black riding cloak from off the bed, and left her room, skipping down the stairs at double time, but about halfway down, she suddenly felt the most wrenching, twisting pain inside her heart - an EMPATHY pain!! Who had been hurt? Continuing down the stairs carefully, now, and following her senses, she turned the corner, heading for the living room. She saw Ray out of the corner of her eye, waiting patiently at the foyer entrance, but he hadn't noticed her yet, so she ignored him and continued to follow the source of the empathy pain.

The door to the living room was locked from the inside. Viv didn't bother trying to wonder why, she pulled the mithril barette from her hair and in less than two seconds, the door was opened. And there lay Lilly, formless and barely moving. Tears welled up in Viniglaen's eyes, and she rushed down to Lilaenwen and lifted up her weak, invisible head, and held her close to her chest for a second, as her eyes scanned the floor.

"Shh, Lilly, it's O.K., sweetheart, here I am," she whispered shakily to her poor friend, as she tried not to let herself cry too much. Ah! There it is, right there! Lilly's Ring. Viv streched out her hand and snatched it, still holding Lil's head in her lap.

Picking up Lilaenwen's cold and slightly trembling forearm and hand, she guided the ring back onto Lil's middle finger, where it belonged. Immediately Lil came into her form again, but what a wilted form it was! She was almost blue, all over, and so weakened from all that pain she could hardly speak. Her face was greyish white and drawn in exhausted pain, and her lovely fiery hair was in sad tangles.

Viv picked her up gently, thinking it was a damn good thing she was so naturally athletically strong, because Lilly was no feather pillow to carry around, but as it was, the strain and extreme agony of having been ringless for the past hour or so had literally made her a good 20 pounds lighter than normal. She gently carried her out of the living room, and ascended the stairs, taking her back to her boudoir to lay her down for a while, thinking, 'What am I gonna do about Ray? I can't leave Lil like this, not even with Five, she needs me right now. Oh, well, Ray will just have to wait. If he's a true gentleman, which I know that he is, he'll understand.'

Once she got Lilly comfortable, she went back downstairs to get her some milk and miruvor and wine and cognac, thinking, 'She can choose which one she wants to drink, but she needs SOMEthing to make her feel better.'

Before she went to the kitchen, Viv turned to the foyer to let Ray know she couldn't go out with him right away.

"Hi, Ray," she greeted him, "Didn't mean to keep you waiting so long, but I'm afraid something's come up - what happened to YOU?!"

Raendil's physical state wasn't looking so terrific either.

"The game," he answered, in explanation. "You know, I can come back later on this evening or tomorrow, if you like," he said.

"Yes, perhaps that's best," she said, "My sister has fallen ill, and I really cannot leave her side right now."

"I completely understand," said Ray. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Not that I can think of right now, said Viv, "ButI thank you for the offer of assistance. Come back later on tonight, if you can, O.K.?"

They gave each other a brief, almost awkward hug, and as he left, Viv's thoughts went right back to Lilly and her terrible condition.

She got Lilly's array of drinks, plus some fruits to eat, and headed back to Lil's room to take care of her, and in her heart she KNEW it was Khamul who had put Lilaenwen in such pain. 'That miserable cur,' she thought, 'One of these days I will become so powerful, I shall rip his existence right into infinity.'
Who knows, maybe someday Viniglaen will be able to do just that.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #193
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

After returning from the livery stable, Maethor walked down the long corridor leading to the quarters of guest professors. Opening the door to the left, he went into his sitting room and then his bed chambers. Placing the pack on the bed, he opened it and took out his garments and shook them. Then he went to the wardrobe and hung his outer garments aside. Other items were placed in the small chest.

He set about assembling the portable stand upon which he would store his mail. It took him a while to put the stand together. Once finished, he drew out from his pack his shining halberk of dark rings, one of his prized possessions, and draped it over the wood. His daggers and knives he left in the pack for the time, except one, which he placed under his pillow. He felt adequately protected.

Chanting, he placed his fingertips upon the mail, guarding it with a spell of warding. He thought to himself, "Let the one who touches my mail feel his being stricken as though with poisonous adders." He smiled, pleased. Then turning his attention to his long sword, he unsheathed it and held it up to the light.

"How it gleams most wickedly," he thought, and then sheathed it again.

"Now what to wear tonight for the reception? I suppose that as a professor now, I must appear cultured," and then he selected a black tunic and black breeches, and over it all, he would wear an impressive mantle of deep blue and latch it with a brooch of silver. "A refined set of clothing, perhaps, but far lacking in my own special dash." He frowned, not wanting to wear the black garments. He really should blend in, though, and do nothing to call attention to himself. After all, he did not want anyone to guess that he had never taught one class or given one lecture in all of his long years, save to teach his young men-at-arms the refinements of martial arts.

After dressing, he latched the sword belt around his middle. He considered his appearance, tall with proud, wide shoulders, eyes of dark ashen gray and a short, neatly trimmed beard, a face approaching middle age; distinguished, cultured, he thought.

"That will do," he concluded. When the hour of seven approached, he walked to the Big University Hall. "No doubt this will be a most tedious evening," he thought, dreading it. He would try to refrain from getting drunk too early.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:18 PM   #194
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ray was worried for Lily. What is the matter, I wonder? I hope she is well.... Ray thought that perhaps the few nights of partying had caught up with Lily. But no, that can't be all! She was just fine this morning, I saw her in the stand and waving to Marty. And...I saw tears in Viv's eyes! There is certainly something wrong here...! He was riding back to his house, but suddenly sat straight as a ram rod in his saddle. Volricom felt his master's unease and worry and whinnied, the sound was haunting in this soundless night.

Ray was quiet, and some what awkward at times. Not seeking the lime light, but staying back and observing more than he spoke, and as such, most people came to the conclusion that he was just a little slow. But that wasn't the case what-so-ever. Ray's mind flew back to the first encounter that they had with Lily's brother, and it was none too gentle on poor Lily. He also remembered the cruel smile he saw on Galadannun's face before he nodded off...

Easy Raendil, son of Matheron... Don't do anything rash, I highly doubt that Penegolod would harm his sister like this...even if she has been flirting with Marty...Speaking of Marty! I can't tell him about this, knowing him he will fly to the house and at all those who stand in his way... Ray relaxed bit, and Volricom shook his mane; as pensive as his master. He stamped his hooves and tried to turn back to Orrodel.

"No boy, I know, I am worried too, but jumping back in might cause problems, not just for Lily and Marty, but for Viv and I as well... It is only a theory, we must be vigilant though...Lets go home and come back later." Volricom nodded his head and picked up his hooves, trotting for home, he seemed pleased with this idea as Ray was.

Raendil was on his guard for any funny business that might be occuring, and wouldn't let himself slip. He was nobody's fool when it came to the welfare of his friends. He stabled Volricom, but didnt take his tack off entirely, just the briddle and loosened the girth. Ray didn't want to go to his room, so he hung out in the stable, patting the young mare that he usually kept at the Red Herring. She whinnied and nuzzled him, as he sat on a bale fo sweet hay, next to her stall.

He absent mindedly took out his sword and started to put an edge on it, with each stroke of the hone-stone, vowing that no harm would come to his freinds. I failed those that I love once before, I shall not do so again! A painful memory jumped infront of his eyes, and his hand slipped. A line of blood brought him back to the present. Nope, I wont fail, death takes me first.

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-08-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #195
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Earlier that day, there was some commotion in the Elvish settlement in Nîn-In-Eilph.

The settlement, which the Reed-Elves called Linthárvar, consisted out of several wooden pole dwellings and stood in one of the larger lakes, deep within the watery marches of Nîn-In-Eilph. No path led to the Elven dwelling and no mortal Man had ever laid eyes on it or could confirm its existence. Apart from the Reed-Elves themselves, only swans knew how to find this hidden place, and they swam calmly between the poles and rafts of the little town, welcome companions to the inhabitants.

The dwellings were decorated and carved with pictures of frogs, swans, fish, waterlillies and reed stems. Only the house of their lady depicted gulls as well. Linthárvar was never without music, even when the Elves themselves were silent, wind-chimes and wind-flutes, fashioned from reed stems, brought forth a faint, enchanting melody. Elegant metal lanterns and lamps hung from ports and walls and bathed the dwelling in a comfortable yellow glow in the evenings, a distant memory of their one-time trade relations with the now perished Gwaith-i-M*rdain smiths of Eregion.

Little hanging bridges and rope ladders connected the various floors of the pole dwellings. Below the pole dwellings, thethered platforms formed their dock where several rafts, canoes and small boats were moored.

It was on one of these platforms that Eärniel climbed out of the shallow water. She tossed a harpoon to her friend Halindel and wrung the water from her hair. Another Elf handed her a towel.

"So," she said, "that makes two trapped beavers and one oversized, dead pike. I suppose that takes care that 'monster' that you told me was jeopardising Linthárvar, Nardol."

Nardol said nothing and looked a bit embarrassed. Halindel shot him a slightly smug look of 'I told you so'.

"We really didn't want to bother you with it, Eärniel," Halindel said. "But we didn't expect Nardol to go and fetch you as soon as we discovered something was gnawing at the poles. I suppose he... eh... overestimated the threat of damage the animals posed to our houses. But it was an exceptionally large pike after all."

"Yes, yes, it doesn't matter, "Eärniel assured her as they walked back to Eärniel’s house. "I'm glad it's nothing serious so that I'm able to return to Tharbad this evening. I missed the Rochdol-game, no doubt. R*an will probably wonder where I was. And I really shouldn't miss the reception at the university this evening."

"You’re going back today already, lady?" Nardol asked, a little too disappointed to Eärniel’s taste.

Halindel had noticed it too and looked sharply at Nardol. "Now out with it, Nardol," she said firmly. "You knew very well we would be able to handle a pair of beavers and a big fish ourselves. So why alert Eärniel? What is there in Tharbad that you desperately want to keep her away from? Apart from the occasional wanderer, we never had any trouble with the city of Men before."

"Valandil Isildurion hasn’t been staying in Tharbad before either," Nardol replied, slightly sulking. "And…."

Eärniel laughed out merrily.

"And you think that if I stay in Tharbad at the same time I will fall head over heels for the charms of the High King and trade the marches of Nîn-In-Eilph for a palace in an instant?" She asked, still laughing.

Halindel chuckled as well and started singing:
"Lady Eärniel of Nîn-In-Eilph, of this fair lady we now sing.
As fleet of foot as any Elf and not afraid of fish or King.

A white gull among the reeds; the marches-wet she walks at will.
Grey-blue eyes as stormy seas, so watch out, young Valan-"

A wet towel suddenly flew into Halindel’s face, cutting her song short.

"That will be quite enough, Halindel," Eärniel said sternly, but with a smile that betrayed her amusement. "Now I am going to change into something drier and more suitable for a reception. Halindel, ready one of the horses, will you? I don’t think I’ll be able to get in time at the reception if I go on foot this time. Oh, and make sure to release the beavers at a reasonable distance from Linthárvar."

Halindel nodded and left. Near their settlement the ground was too unsure to sustain the heavier horses. Therefore the Elves kept their horses near the edge of the swamp, on firmer ground but where they could still be hid from view.

"And as for you," Eärniel said to Nardol, "You can bring my luggage back to my lodgings in Tharbad while I go to the reception and you can bring the horse back to Nîn-In-Eilph afterwards. Then we’re even for you telling me tales of a monster threatening the village."

"Have I told you the King will be present at the reception tonight as well?" she added with a mischievous smile. She left Nardol to ponder that and went inside to finally change out of her wet clothes.

Last edited by Earniel : 10-04-2005 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #196
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ray was pacing back and forth in the stable, having tied his hand with a strip of clean saddle cloth. Both the horses looked pointedly at him, Volricom gave a whinny. Ray looked at him, then at his hand and grinned. "You're right you two, lets go back to Orrodel!" With that, he slung his, by now, nearly diamond edged sword on, threw on the tack, leaped up and got out of the stable.

Volricom neighed and reared, happy that his master had chosen the right course of action. "Ha! Easy does it boy! We have one stop to go, before we reach the house!" With that, Volricom broke into a gallop in the direction of the park that he and Raendil oft frequented. The horse hated when his master was upset, and took it upon his horsey self to cheer him up. After a bout of romping, leaping and fooling about, Volricom stopped abrubtly, tumbling Ray off his back and into a clump of very soft moss in the park.

Ray got up laughing, and chucked a clump of sod at the playful stallion. "You prancing pony, you! You great beast, are supposed to be a blood thirsty war horse!" Volricom bounced on his hind legs. Still laughing, Ray made his way to his "secret passage". Ducking under a clump of cedars, he advanced under their dewy boughs, getting annointed with their sweet smell and bits of boughs in his hair, making him look like a young Caesar of Tharbad. He finally advanced into the little clearing that was his meditaion spot, after finding the flowers, he took out a small knife and cut a few.

As soon as he had gotten his acceptance letter, he had come to the school before everyone to find him self a good spot. This place captured his fancy right off the bat. The flowers he was cutting were those of the Morgul Vale, which astounded him when he checked out a plant book, after his first veiw of them.

"How could something from such an evil place be so fair and beautiful? And who had the audacity to plant them here, I am glad they did." he murmered to himself. He turned around, then cut some late roses and a Lilly. To tie it off, he braided three red fronds into a ribbon and finished the bouqeut of flowers. His mind and heart running in the past, when he, Valandil and the other children would have wild romps, adventures and daydreams in the elvish gardens, of times spent with his mother, helping in the garden. Which she so truely loved, and the love and skill passed onto her son.

Though granted, such a love of the flowers and gardening brought him much riddecule of the other boys it also brought him the respect of the elves that frequented the gardens. Not to mention he could hold his own in scuffles and Valandil often backed him up. With those thoughts he ducked back out to the little path, and Volricom nuzzled and sniffed him. "Eh, what's the matter?" He took a sniff of his own clothes. "Hmm, sweet hay and cedar...well, I could smell worse. I hope Viv doesnt mind, off we go boy!" In no time flat did the great strides of Volricom bear his rider to Orrodel, Ray, loosing no time, vaulted off the speeding mount and right to the door.

Knocking and letting himself in, he found Viniglaen comming from down the steps into the kitchen. She whirled around as soon as she heared the door open, a look of surprise graced her face.

"Raendil! Uhm, Ray, what brought you back?" She looked him up, and despite herself grinned. Ray was some what wet from the dew shower, and the crown of cedar made her smile.

"Well, before you shoo me from your door-again- I brought these for Lily. I hope she likes them, and isn't allergic. That would be a bummer." he grinned, and produced the buoqet from his cloak, where it was stored from harm. He handed it over to Viv, and caught a strange, wistful look in her eyes, as she beheld the flowers of the Vale.

"They are beautiful, Lily will love them. Where came you upon these? They...Don't look local." Her voice was somewhat emmotional.

"You are correct, they...um, aren't from around here. I too find them quite beautiful. They are in a small spot that I go to. Its where I go to think. I can show you if you so wish...And should you desire the same, I can show you many such quite places around here." they both smiled, and Viv went to go find a vase for them, Ray followed and lifted his hand to his hair.

He saw the blood stained bandage. Reminded of his silent promise to himself and these people. He stood taller, his eyes stronger. "How is Lily? Any better?"

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-05-2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:41 PM   #197
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

"She's getting stronger by the hour, I am happy to say, and Penny came home not to long ago - you must have just missed him on your way here," answered Viv, taking another deep whiff of the beautiful bouquet. "Oh, Ray, what a lovely thought to bring these flowers for her! She's going to LOVE them! I know these blooms right here especially will. " She gently fingered the petals of the Morgul vale flowers. "Can you wait here a sec, I'll go check on her and give her these, then we can perhaps be able to get out for a little while."

"No problem!" said Ray, keeping his wounded hand out of sight for the moment.

As Viv turned and ascended the huge, wide, slightly curving red-carpeted stairwell, Ray went over in his mind where to take Viv for the evening.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #198
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Aiwendis prepares the Reception

Aiwendis stood in front of a huge silver-framed mirror surveying herself critically. She was glad she knew a spell to make her reflection appear. At least, she could get dressed all by herself, not relying on her maids.
They left after having brushed and done her hair. Aiwendis decided against wearing it loose in Arnor fashion, instead she asked for an intricate numenorean hair-do, which left her ears and neck exposed. A small diamond barrette held her hair in place.

Aiwendis in white

After long deliberation, Aiwendis finally settled on a white sleeveless gown, its ample skirt making her waist seem even tinier. She picked a magnificent pendant from Far Harad, and slipped it over her head. Sparkling diamond earrings glowed against her face. She thought for a moment of putting some paint on her face, but decided against. Wearing white always gave her a maidenly innocent look, and she would not loose this advantage.

For a moment she stopped at a mirror to admire her dress. In this gown and jewellery she was magnificent, only her blue-grey eyes looked back at her haunted and sad. But that could hardly be remedied now. She put on a pair of long white gloves and went out to meet her doom.

She passed through endless hallways and stairways, crossed a courtyard and entered the main University building through a back entrance. Soon she approached a set of double doors, guarded by two pages, richly garbed in blue and red. Nodding slightly in reply to their bows, she entered the dining hall, for a last look on the feast preparations. The oblong hall was still empty, save for servants and maids, lined along the walls. Torches and oil lanterns burned brightly, their light reflected in polished silverware on the tables. The main table with sparkling glass and silver stood on a carpeted dais, the other, longer table, meant for guests of lesser rank, stood perpendicularly to it, running all along the hall. Vases with flowers from the garden adorned the table at regular intervals.

Checking that all was in order, Aiwendis passed into the adjoining Reception hall. This hall was even bigger than the Dining Hall, its walls even more richly decorated. Rich tapestries adorned the walls; the treasures brought from many distant places were assembled here exposed in glass cabinets along the walls. Vases with flowers stood on small lacquered tables imported all the way from South Khand.

The noise from the Entrance hall signalled that some guests had already arrived and were now waiting to be admitted. Hearing footsteps approaching from behind, Aiwendis turned, a brave smile on her face, and greeted the Morgul Lord with a deep bow. The Chancellor was resplendent in black tunic enriched with silver, silver-grey shirt and leggings and a long sable mantle, lined with fur. On his neck hung a mithril chain of office, set with sparkling rubies and sapphires. At his side was a sword, its silver hilt gleaming with jewels.

"It is time. Are you ready, Aiwendis?" asked the Chancellor, offering her a hand. She noticed that his grey eyes were sparkling excitedly. He always enjoyed a challenge, and today’s reception was not going to be easy. Nervously Aiwendis took his hand, and he led her towards the entrance to greet the King.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-13-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:24 PM   #199
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

R*an walked quickly away from Orrodel, then broke into a run when she was out of sight of the many-windowed castle. It was good to run - she was starting to feel like a caged bird in Orrodel. The elves had pets, like humans did, but unlike the humans, the elves did not keep them in cages. R*an didn't like cages.

She stopped and looked around her. Her swift feet had led her, without her realizing it (or perhaps her heart drove her and didn't tell her head) right to the road that Eärniel must have taken the other day, away from Tharbad. She toyed with the idea of taking off down the road in pursuit of her friend, then her sense of fair play reminded her that she shouldn't do this without giving fair notice to her employers and trying to set up the house to run well without her. Lying down in the fragrant grass, she ran her fingers gently over the small grass-flowers, and then bent her face to them, enjoying their feel and fragrance. "I bet Zimri could take over soon, with a little instruction - maybe I'll give my notice and stay to train her for a few more days, then set off to visit Eärniel. I'd love to see where she lives!" As she thought of her friend, she looked down the road once more, and was surprised to see someone coming along the road leading a horse. She sat up and waited for them to approach.

"Good day, miss!" the young man leading the horse greeted her. "Good day, sir!" returned R*an, her eyes straying to the beautiful horse pawing the ground. She hadn't seen such a lovely horse in ages! "You have a lovely horse! May I see her?"

"She's a beaut, isn't she? I wish she was mine! Sure, come on down! She's a lively one, but they say the elves have a way with animals," the young man responded. R*an came down the slope and placed her hands gently on either side of the mare's eyes. The mare stopped her pawing and lifted a soft nose to R*an's cheek.

"Do you happen to know an elven lady named R*an? I was told to find her and deliver this note."

"I'm R*an," she said, and rose to receive the note from his outstretched hand.

"Well, I'm glad to see that she likes you, because she's yours now! I was told to deliver both the mare and the note to R*an. Congratulations!"

"Th.. thank you so much!" she answered, dumbfounded.

With a friendly wave and a final pat on the mare's sleek hindquarters, the young man went back down the road.

R*an looked at the note in her hand. On the front was written her name, and underneath was wrought the emblem of the White Wing- the device of the swan, of the house of Tuor...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-04-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #200
Udukhaturz
Shadow Lord of Morgul

Maethor stood waiting in the Entrance Hall. Noting the elegance of the furnishings, he looked around appreciatively. He concluded, with a smile of satisfaction, that doubtless there would be many wines and brandies, enough, perhaps, to hold his attention throughout what he considered would be a tiresome evening.

He waited, wondering how long he would have to stand there before he would be given admittance to the Reception Hall. He considered that perhaps he should have brought his own flask, but that would probably be considered rude by his host. He reflected upon what might lay before him, the people he would meet, the probable endless questions that would be presented to him about where he had been and what he had been doing the last years.

In his mind, he deliberated upon what his response would be to the questions. He hoped that the story he had concocted about his whereabouts would seem plausible. He decided that the only flaw in his story would be if someone were present from Linhir who would press him too closely about details of his family there. The only logical thing he could do in that case would be to act as though he were drunk, whether he was or not, and regale them with drunken babblings.

He thought he could bluff his way through that situation, but the one he dreaded to encounter was Khamûl. No doubt Khamûl would try to get back inside his mind and he was not sure he could withstand the Easterling's mental thrusts. He thought of ways to block his attempts. He would try distracting him by filling his own mind with images of the beautiful dancers of the East. "Better yet," he thought, "I will foil him by concentrating on the fact that I now control much of the territory that he once held when he was a warlord over a vast amount of land." If nothing else, Khamûl might feel frustrated enough so that he would lose his temper, making a spectacle of himself in public. "That should distract him enough," he laughed to himself, "and thus he will leave me alone!"

Last edited by Udukhaturz : 10-06-2005 at 03:16 AM.